Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Reopening - tickets, reservations, and visit experience

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    what do you guys think? Will it be a disaster on opening day, or do you think Disney will be Disney and all will be well?
    What's the saying, "A bad day at Disneyland beats a great day anywhere else".
    Karin

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I made reservations for 6/18 and 6/28 using a GAT two-day ticket, because I was sitting in the queue forever and couldn't get the Disneyland ticket site to give me anything. I figured that would be enough time for Disneyland to work out any kinks and for me to observe that safety protocols are being followed, etc. I was happy with that, but now that the opening is coming closer, my heart is like, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? WHY DIDN'T YOU BOOK OPENING DAY??" And seeing that there are still reservations open for 4/30 (starting at DCA, but still) is killing me. If I can talk husband into it, I'm going to flipping do it. He's just worried it'll be disorganized and kind of a $h&t show since it's opening day... but I'm not sure? Entry protocol will basically be the same routine as Downtown Disney, so no change there, and I feel like they have all the lessons-learned from Florida already... what do you guys think? Will it be a disaster on opening day, or do you think Disney will be Disney and all will be well?
    From what I have read so far on multiple vlogs, chats, etc. Disneyland is not going 1:1 in the procedures for rides compared to WDW. One example is that the ITS wont be in use for ROTR. Another is that ride capacity in vehicles wont match the capacity of the park (example - Indiana jones. No middle row and the other two rows have only 1 party per row - that could mean 2 people in a vehicle). I also think the number of cast members is way down compared to what was needed - and today I also read that many of the cast coming back have been reassigned to locations or attractions they've never worked on. I dont think it will be an entire s@%^ show but it definitely wont be a basic experience. Long lines for food at limited locations, (some stations where two employees were needed now will only have one) and for the limited retail. If you really must go then just be prepared for longer waits than expected - even for COVID limitations. Cast who are there will make the best of it and provide the service they can - but this is so new who knows..

Also interesting comment one vlogger was making was that since the parking lot opens at 6am there's no need to go overnight since the park wont open till 9 (ok maybe 830) - but Im thinking that wont stop people from lining up. It will be an event like every other one at Disneyland.

All that being said - if I was not out of town I would probably go too just to walk around. Thats an expensive walk around ticket.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So I made reservations for 6/18 and 6/28 using a GAT two-day ticket, because I was sitting in the queue forever and couldn't get the Disneyland ticket site to give me anything. I figured that would be enough time for Disneyland to work out any kinks and for me to observe that safety protocols are being followed, etc. I was happy with that, but now that the opening is coming closer, my heart is like, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? WHY DIDN'T YOU BOOK OPENING DAY??" And seeing that there are still reservations open for 4/30 (starting at DCA, but still) is killing me. If I can talk husband into it, I'm going to flipping do it. He's just worried it'll be disorganized and kind of a $h&t show since it's opening day... but I'm not sure? Entry protocol will basically be the same routine as Downtown Disney, so no change there, and I feel like they have all the lessons-learned from Florida already... what do you guys think? Will it be a disaster on opening day, or do you think Disney will be Disney and all will be well?
    IMO your husband is right on how could end up being. I doubt lessons are learned from WDW either. Otherwise they would have done better on the food options and spread it out a bit more as well and not excluded certain options. Have to look at the rides haven't been up and running until recently to make sure they are good and for training. So who knows how that will go once you cycle guests on it all day again...hopefully not to bad though.

Also take into account the weather is going to be in the 90s in Anaheim on Friday and there is to be no drinking/eating in line and only to do those things in designated areas...that includes lining up before going into the parks. Will they really have enough shaded seating for people to eat/drink at? It seemed like they didn't care during ATOD on that area when it came down to it. No one will want to have to walk over a half or whole park to find the correct spot to do that in. Yet I wonder how guidelines will be followed in the heat and how the CMs will deal with it. Mix in to all this the fact they are pushing guests to use mobile order instead of walk up if you don't have a reservation at one of the very few places and it could make for some possible long waits on food.

It will be interesting to see how it ends up. We opted to wait after our time at ATOD and how that went. Just didn't see it worth the high cost at this time for a day ticket. With opening day, I figured there is probably some kinks that will have to be worked out over the day/weekend....and I don't want to be around a ton of vloggers. They get beyond annoying to be around in the parks. After seeing the temp for Friday, there is no way we could be there. I don't do well in heat like that but it would be worse with a mask for me and trying to keep hydrated/cool. So we will watch and see how things work out for that opening weekend and first couple weeks. After that it will be what decides for us on how we feel on paying for tickets for a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    What's the saying, "A bad day at Disneyland beats a great day anywhere else".
    For me its a different saying...see sig below. LOL Yes at times BUT at this point it could really depend on what the bad day means there. Seeing so many already saying they don't care if its a bad day or what goes wrong just because they are in Disneyland excuses things that might not be small issues, kwim? It will be interesting though if those same people that I've seen say similar things will be as forgiving if its a lot of issues throughout the day. Here is to hoping it doesn't go badly though and all will have fun...as well as be respectful about the guidelines in place and to the CMS.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Thanks for the perspective, Oleg and BerryPrincess! I think I'm calming down from my "YOU MUST GO OPENING DAY" fit. I still might book another day in May though. I'm not sure I can actually wait until June 18. Lol.

I completely hadn't considered the line-ups that will be the worst on opening day, the vloggers, OR the temperature, so you can see how well I was thinking it through :-) That all sounds like it would add up to not as great a day as it could be. I think even waiting a week will probably be a lot better.

Did anyone else catch the words "soft openings" for tomorrow during the Live stream? I'm assuming they are limiting it to cast, but that sure caught me imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Did anyone else catch the words "soft openings" for tomorrow during the Live stream? I'm assuming they are limiting it to cast, but that sure caught me imagination.
    It was reported earlier in the month that CMs from the 27th to the 29th would be able to take part in "soft openings" and I thought they were doing a media/vlogger types invite day as well.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    It was reported earlier in the month that CMs from the 27th to the 29th would be able to take part in "soft openings" and I thought they were doing a media/vlogger types invite day as well.
    I know that the west coast crew from ResortTV1 will be streaming tomorrow (Tuesday) from the park during cast soft opening - but they are not cast members. I also do t think it's an official vloggers day so to me it's possible that it's CMs and limited friends or households. IDK for sure. If u are interested the Livestream is on YouTube at 12 noon Pacific

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Can anyone see availability for May 19 & 28???

My children have two days reserved on their two day hoppers. Entering DCA May 1 and entering DLP May 5. BUT something has come up and I want them to reschedule for the 19th and 28th ... my daughter tells me she has to cancel to view availability.

Any help is appreciated!

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Can anyone see availability for May 19 & 28???

My children have two days reserved on their two day hoppers. Entering DCA May 1 and entering DLP May 5. BUT something has come up and I want them to reschedule for the 19th and 28th ... my daughter tells me she has to cancel to view availability.

Any help is appreciated!
    right now (905am tuesday) at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ava...Segment=ticket there is DCA only on May 18th and nothing for 28th. (one day park). For Park Hopper both days are available to start in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    right now (905am tuesday) at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ava...Segment=ticket there is DCA only on May 18th and nothing for 28th. (one day park). For Park Hopper both days are available to start in DCA.
    Thanks for the calendar. Huge help. I'm outta the loop on all this obviously.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Entry protocol will basically be the same routine as Downtown Disney, so no change there, and I feel like they have all the lessons-learned from Florida already... what do you guys think? Will it be a disaster on opening day, or do you think Disney will be Disney and all will be well?
    I haven't heard how the cast-member previews have been going, but I expect that there will be a number of things not quite right on re-opening day. Not as bad as the initial opening in 1955, because at least the infrastructure is finished, but recalling and then retraining a lot of cast members all at once is somewhat unprecedented. Even at WDW it wouldn't have been this bad, because the time period between closure and reopening was so much shorter. I think it will really depend on how overstaffed the park is, and how patient guests are. If they deliberately schedule more cast members than needed, I think it could be an amazing day.

We went to our kids pediatrician on their "go live" day when they switched to electronic medical records and it was great - because they deliberately scheduled twice as much time for each appointment, and the system was (mostly) working they way it was supposed to, so no one was especially stressed and the doctor had extra time for each patient. But had the doctor's office tried to keep the same schedule as normal, but add in the new electronic record keeping requirements, it likely would have been a horrible day. If Disney tries to schedule the same amount of cast members as they would normally need for whatever % of guests they have allowed, then I think it will be bad.

That said, I'm a bit afraid of going after 6/15. If the governor does end the emergency declaration and ends all of the current restrictions (except the mask mandate, which he has stated would continue) then the park becomes open to both in-state and out-of-state right as schools release for summer, and potentially with no capacity restrictions beyond the fire safety limit and whatever Disney chooses to impose. And while Disney has done a good job continuing to require reasonable mask wearing at WDW, they have increased the capacity of the parks from when they first reopened.

We currently have reservations before & after 6/15. If it looks like there are going to be too many changes, I may try to move up the later reservations.

Dude. WoD has Scan and Go*. Prior to curbside pick-up, I loved Scan and Go at Sam's club. Scan, slide to pay, head to exit and show your QR/barcode to the CM.

#8 on today's Park Blog article on 10 ways to use Technology for your next park visit.

I saw pieces of a video that someone was doing today. I scanned through it for the most part. Yet the person filming seemed to always be on someone's backside instead of distancing most the time. Getting in looked insane at M&F. The way the line was set up in some places seem to make it so there was no distancing going on at all. Then when they loaded on rides the next round of guests are right there like normal. Did seem HM had dots on the ground for each group to stand on and I want to say it was 4 dots. At least it looked to from the person's video. Pirates is loading front and back. No idea if that was same party or 2 different ones. Couldn't tell from the video. Thunder Mtn was loading one party in each section (1 group in the first 3 cars, 1 in the 2nd set, etc). I do wonder though how many people during the previews compared to what it will be once open Friday.

BTW, my husband is on a Knott's board and was saying so many had some issues yesterday getting reservations and linking things. Their passholders can only hold one reservation at a time. It looks like they are staggering when guests show up and enter the park with picking not just your day to go but a time.

currence, I had thought of that same thing about if the state decides to allow out of state guests to theme parks on June 15th. We have no clue if that part of things will change yet or not either. I will still wait on things before decided if we will take the plunge and buy tickets for whatever day later on or not. It would have to be end of May or beginning of June. Will see how things go over the next couple weeks and if its worth the cost of the tickets.

Blog Entries

after watching several live vloggers yesterday (instead of edited video) it seemed to me that capacity was way lower than 25%. However, there were bottleneck situations - parking, initial opening entry, etc. The rest of the day seemed fairly spaced out though there were times people passed close to each other while walking. During the videos I didnt see anyone unmasked. there are many spots on the ground for distancing. I think after the initial crush in the AM it was well handled.

That being said - I think the Opening Day for the public will be at max capacity allowed and it will be all public - Im sure during Cast previous CMs and their guests (they could bring up to three) were on their best behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    after watching several live vloggers yesterday (instead of edited video) it seemed to me that capacity was way lower than 25%. However, there were bottleneck situations - parking, initial opening entry, etc. The rest of the day seemed fairly spaced out though there were times people passed close to each other while walking. During the videos I didnt see anyone unmasked. there are many spots on the ground for distancing. I think after the initial crush in the AM it was well handled.

That being said - I think the Opening Day for the public will be at max capacity allowed and it will be all public - Im sure during Cast previous CMs and their guests (they could bring up to three) were on their best behavior.
    One video I saw seemed the vloggers have issues like I said about staying back from others in line and then when loading into most rides they were not fully waiting for the other guests to have finished getting out at times before going in. There was many times they were right there mixed with the group in front of them. As well as they stood in one area and just started eating. From what was said, when eating/drinking we are suppose to do so in designated areas and not just pull to the side or stand in one spot wherever we please and do that stuff. I think this will be an issue on Friday with the heat though and wanting to keep hydrated. Which I think as long as one is standing away from others and stationary I wouldn't find it a big deal if someone sipped water during those hot days. I get why its a no-no in lines because to many are not the best setups and you aren't really spaced apart well. Yet the guests of CMs and CMs did seem to be doing well otherwise from what was shown.

With capacity, I read that yesterday it wasn't close to what the capacity allowed is but that its possible by Thursday it could be more than there was Tuesday. With opening on Friday, we have no clue if Disney decided to go with the 25% capacity or what for each park. Yet either way I don't think what is seen during the CM days is going to be the same as this weekend and beyond. No matter what capacity Disney uses, we all know that social distancing is going to be hard in many areas of the parks. Even ATOD it wasn't happening most the time.

I think if you are worried about safety protocols it would be better to go before June 15th. I don't think that they will throw open the gates. But many do and have already purchased tickets and booked airfare. I would not want to chance being exposed to the adherence of people from fully open states who have been pushing back against every safety protocol for over a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I think if you are worried about safety protocols it would be better to go before June 15th. I don't think that they will throw open the gates. But many do and have already purchased tickets and booked airfare. I would not want to chance being exposed to the adherence of people from fully open states who have been pushing back against every safety protocol for over a year now.
    This was actually what I was thinking. We had a very short window to slide a visit into in May that wasn't booked with other commitments. Or we were then looking at late June. As much as Avenger's campus would be nice, I'm willing to wait and keep it to California.

Sadly there is a lot of places in California that haven't been following guidelines either and people from those areas that will decide to go as well to the parks or don't think the rules/guidelines apply to them because they did as they pleased this whole time (my city is full of those types). For us, after ATOD and the lacking in many areas of things and some of the safety guidelines, its what has us on the fence still. I told my husband today that I don't think I could even think of having a Monte Cristo anytime soon again after that experience.

Speaking of which I read the one at Cafe Orleans is now the 1/2 sandwich with what looked like small portion of pommes frites with it now.

Speaking of which I read the one at Cafe Orleans is now the 1/2 sandwich with what looked like small portion of pommes frites with it now.
    That should have been the serving size all along. It has always been larger and cheaper than the other sandwiches on the menu, it never made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    That should have been the serving size all along. It has always been larger and cheaper than the other sandwiches on the menu, it never made sense.
    Oh I agree.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

I was fortunate enough to go to the soft reopening yesterday. Crowds seemed far less than what I would expect 25% to be. I'm curious about tomorrow's reopening to the CA public crowds. I'll be there to see it first hand.

Food offerings are VERY limited, as you've all seen on the Disney Parks Blog.

All queues are outside. When it comes to the part of the queue that goes inside we were told to just keep walking. For instance, on Rise, when it came to going inside, we walked through the whole queue without stopping, even the Storm Trooper room, all the way out to the transport. We didn't get on the refurbished Snow White attraction. The queue was always TOO long. All the other attractions were walk on's. Even Peter Pan. The queue for Pirates wound back and forth in front of NOS. The distancing markers once inside the Pirates courtyard seemed off at first, for more than 6 ft. apart, but when looked at from the perspective of not having groups near each other in the switchbacks, it made sense. Some folks not paying attention to those markers was another thing, though. At the end of the day some folks were queing up like the old days and not distancing at all, but I chalk it up to those particular people.

Stores have an entrance and exit designated, no more coming and going in/out the same door, to help with distancing and not passing too close to one another. I only saw queues to get into stores at the end of the day, when folks were doing their shopping on the way out of the park.

The walk to/from M&F parking lot is tough, I won't lie. We're all out of shape from no gyms, sitting on our couches and gaining pandemic weight (just me?). It's going to take some doing to get back to a place where walking around the park all day and being ok with a 10-15 min. walk back to the car (depending on how fast you walk) isn't an issue. My experience, YMMV.

Most of the time we felt fine with the crowds and distancing, wide open enough walkways to keep away if you wanted to. it was odd to hear the "Disneyland has now concluded it's normal business hours" spiel. DH remarked he doesn't remember when the last time was that we were in the park late enough to hear that. 7 pm comes early when you're having fun and don't want to leave!

Karin

Sadly there is a lot of places in California that haven't been following guidelines either and people from those areas that will decide to go as well to the parks or don't think the rules/guidelines apply to them because they did as they pleased this whole time (my city is full of those types). For us, after ATOD and the lacking in many areas of things and some of the safety guidelines, its what has us on the fence still. I told my husband today that I don't think I could even think of having a Monte Cristo anytime soon again after that experience.

Bummer on the Monte Cristo. We used to share one a get a couple sides to go with it. Seems pricy for on 1/2 sandwich, even with the fries.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Thanks Karin for sharing. I just saw that it will officially open at the 25% capacity too. I''m curious how that will be when it comes to park hoping. If its going to feel even more than that once the afternoon comes or the same when it comes to crowd size.

I think there are going to be many that are feeling it when they have to walk back to the car at the end of the day. I was surprised with ATOD and that it didn't bug me as much as I thought it would. My issue is always trying to keep my pace up with my husband's and he at times doesn't realize he has to slow his down for my little legs. LOL Its going to be a rough walk for those with kids.

Look forward to how it goes for you guys tomorrow. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Bummer on the Monte Cristo. We used to share one a get a couple sides to go with it. Seems pricy for on 1/2 sandwich, even with the fries.
    My friend and I would do that as well. I felt like the 1/2 sandwich we got during ATOD was smaller than the typical 1/2 when I would share it. It definitely wasn't as filled as they usually had been, doughy in spots, burnt parts on one and that grease....OMG never ever seen one that way before. If that had been the $21 plate of food at Cafe Orleans that way I would have not been happy even more so. At this point it will be a long time before I get another one.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Definitely more people there yesterday than the preview day on Wed. I'd guess 50% more. Lines were longer, mobile ordering took longer (I'm looking at you, Ronto Roasters. 75 mins for 3 wraps and 3 drinks was ridiculous when you're only serving 2 food items on your menu), walkways were a little fuller, but all in all way fewer people than the last time I was there pre-pandemic. Folks seemed to be paying attention to the 6 ft. markers in the queues well. Speaking of Ronto Roasters, we all agreed the sauce was a little spicier than pre-pandemic.

Most people had some sort of Disney shirt on, lots looked to be from Etsy, marking the monumental occasion that yesterday was.

I noted more than a couple of instances of CMs asking people to pull their masks up over their noses. I was happy to see they were actually enforcing that, but I saw some folks "getting away" with not, not being seen at that moment, a couple of folks walking/drinking when the overhead announcement asked us not to do just that.

We were thrilled to be there and noted we definitely out of shape to be spending 10 hours at the parks as we stiffened up on the drive home and limped inside. We're hopeful to get those kinks worked out in the coming months!

Welcome home, everyone!

Karin