Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Disneyland Reopening - tickets, reservations, and visit experience

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Practicing at home won't get you anything though. Unless you have a reservation for that park it won't go through. They are just still going that fast. I'm thinking because of capacity limits they just aren't giving out as many.
    i dont know if that was a reference to my "at home" comment but I wasnt practicing. I did have a reservation. I live 15 min from the park so I figured I could try at home before I left so as not to be around so many other cell phones trying as well - since you dont have to be in the park (or even in proximity to the park) for the 7am queues. or so disney claims.

EDIT - never mind - I found the other reference. Thanks candles71
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Practicing at home won't get you anything though. Unless you have a reservation for that park it won't go through. They are just still going that fast. I'm thinking because of capacity limits they just aren't giving out as many.
    No it won't but it goes so far into that part of the app before it denies it still from what I've seen many say. Which either way of course things are going to go fast and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones View Post
    Heres your answer 😊 When you go to check-in on your app 15 mins prior to your reservation, you will be asked if you want to add another person to it. You are able to add one extra person to your reservation. We did this on Saturday at River Belle.
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Woo hoo! great. Thanks.
    this this worked but my experience on the app was this. 1) check in via the app 2) tell them how many adults or children are in the party (no reference to how many I originally placed 3) any dietary restrictions 4) hit submit
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Masks. Physically distancing. Capacity limits.

Gone like a fart in the wind. So much to unpack here.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Has anyone watched the Disneyland availability calendar the last few days? It seems to be completely making no sense whatsoever. Random days (most of the times not connected) will become available and then get taken within 10 minutes. Then another set of random days become available. June 20th and 27th. Then June 16th and 23rd. I have also noticed that the same date will become available, get taken, and later in the day become available again. This makes no sense to me. Disney must have some idea of how many reservations they are going to make available, at least for the first two weeks after June 15th. So let's say they are going to make an additional 5000 reservations available for the week of June 21st, why don't they just make them all available? It is as if there is some evil game someone is playing: "let's make 200 available on the 20th and 27th"; now make 500 on the 16th and 19th".

Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    Has anyone watched the Disneyland availability calendar the last few days? It seems to be completely making no sense whatsoever. Random days (most of the times not connected) will become available and then get taken within 10 minutes. Then another set of random days become available. June 20th and 27th. Then June 16th and 23rd. I have also noticed that the same date will become available, get taken, and later in the day become available again. This makes no sense to me. Disney must have some idea of how many reservations they are going to make available, at least for the first two weeks after June 15th. So let's say they are going to make an additional 5000 reservations available for the week of June 21st, why don't they just make them all available? It is as if there is some evil game someone is playing: "let's make 200 available on the 20th and 27th"; now make 500 on the 16th and 19th".
    I've been assuming the fluctuations are caused by people changing their reservations, so they become available as people cancel a day, then disappear when someone else takes the reservation? I haven't been watching it super closely, but I was when we were trying to get dates. It seemed like they'd appear randomly for short periods, as though only a few were actually available.

I hope that is the case. It makes sense, but there is an awful lot of changing of reservations going on then.

I have to stop watching the calendar it is really stressing me out. Every time a see it open for a day I am going, I think: "Not more people".

Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    I hope that is the case. It makes sense, but there is an awful lot of changing of reservations going on then.
    I was watching it yesterday do that and this morning as well. I am not surprised though if it has to do with people canceling or changing dates to wait and see how things go with so much dropped at once with masks/distancing/etc. I saw someone on another board in a different state that grabbed a day this week because of it. So I can imagine there are those looking for the opened dates and those that are decided to cancel.

Also I see that Disney announced dates for WDW and DL for fireworks to return. So July 4th Disneyland will see the return of Mickey's Mix Magic. All I know is this sort of made me cringe at the thought of being in that mix of people.

Editing to add: Did anyone see pictures from this morning? YIKES! Rope drop is back and it was just not a comfy looking place to be IMO. I wonder how many showed up at the parks super early to be surprised that rope drop was back and they weren't getting in early like it had been happening.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

For anyone going soon, rides are fully loading from what I've seen a few say on other boards that are there today.

Most intriguing about the full reopening is this - how long before the bean counters notice attendance is tapered off sans the APers? A week? Months? a year or two from now? We'll know the time's arrived when they announce details about the new and improved "memberships" or whatever they're calling the new APs. As I've previously mentioned I'm biding my time until that day. I'm in no hurry to return BUT the sooner it is the better for us because I think it signals the resort recognizes its need to get the AP crowd re-involved. If they're able to pack the park for a year or two with day and multi-day passes, the launch for memberships will be delayed and those memberships will be pricier than if it happens soon. I'm watching closely, bucket of popcorn and soda in hand.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Most intriguing about the full reopening is this - how long before the bean counters notice attendance is tapered off sans the APers? A week? Months? a year or two from now? We'll know the time's arrived when they announce details about the new and improved "memberships" or whatever they're calling the new APs. As I've previously mentioned I'm biding my time until that day. I'm in no hurry to return BUT the sooner it is the better for us because I think it signals the resort recognizes its need to get the AP crowd re-involved. If they're able to pack the park for a year or two with day and multi-day passes, the launch for memberships will be delayed and those memberships will be pricier than if it happens soon. I'm watching closely, bucket of popcorn and soda in hand.
    Well it was said we would hear something by the end of the year on it. The question does come into play though on if they will find they need to do it sooner rather than later. I will say I debated on going for the one day we did. I figured that it would be best to do it then for the day though before it got to be like it looked today.

I wanted to add one more thing. I didn't spend nearly as much money in the parks the day we were there compared to the past. I think there was a combo of just not having much in the way of snack carts open at the times, having to be picky on where we ate and when compared to before with walking up and getting food from more than one place and then the shopping. We really didn't do that much in that area. It felt more like it was going to waste the time earlier in the day so we did it a half hour before we left and didn't even spend that whole time in the shops. It was a quick in and out for the 2 stores.
    Last edited by Berry Princess; 06-15-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Most intriguing about the full reopening is this - how long before the bean counters notice attendance is tapered off sans the APers?
    If attendance is down but profits remain high, will it matter?

Disney loved the guaranteed revenue of APs but hated the (complaints about) crowds. I'm sure they also enjoyed that pass holders were often among the company's most vocal cheerleaders. I'm under the impression that the new membership is being designed to give them the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post

Disney loved the guaranteed revenue of APs but hated the (complaints about) crowds. I'm sure they also enjoyed that pass holders were often among the company's most vocal cheerleaders. I'm under the impression that the new membership is being designed to give them the best of both worlds.
    I honestly do not think Disney gave a care to crowds and complaints on it? To them as long as each day made a profit no matter what kind of way someone entered the parks that is all that would have mattered in the end. Mind you, the biggest time that the parks had a higher chance of closing to capacity was at a time when usually the highest priced AP was the only one allowed in. So question is how many where APs really compared to 1 day or multiday ticket holders at that time? BTW, I remember in my teens DL being packed just as bad for that time during the holidays as well. So its not like its something that just popped up over the years. Mix in though over the years the added things such as Halloween time and them letting groups hold their "unofficial events" that I know can end up being to the point of hitting capacity or close to it at times. Those same groups are still out there pushing their events for later this year. Yet Disney has helped push those same over crowding events over the years knowing how packed things get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post

This.
    Someone a while back did some math and it showed that full attendance with APs would actually make the company less money than less attendance at full price. Its exactly what Disney wants. Reservations help them know exactly what the guest attendance will be so they can then plan their staffing and manage costs on that end (maybe even decide which carts to open/not to open) and then make more money on gate (and the much higher prices on food and merch right now).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I've been assuming the fluctuations are caused by people changing their reservations, so they become available as people cancel a day, then disappear when someone else takes the reservation? I haven't been watching it super closely, but I was when we were trying to get dates. It seemed like they'd appear randomly for short periods, as though only a few were actually available.
    it was noted that many people would cancel their reservations in the morning if they didnt get on Rise or Webslingers in the 7am window. That doesn't explain future fluctuations but I'm sure its people just grabbing reservations to hold them and then dropping later as Shortpix said. With so many folks just grabbing reservations - then figuring out later whether they can use the spot or not - you will keep seeing all of these. This could also be happening a lot because the model in california is many more former AP holders that were individuals or couples and they are meeting up with friends at the park. more than regular guests. Since you need a reservation - trying to coordinate with friends is hard to do on the fly. So you book a reservation and drop later.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Well it was said we would hear something by the end of the year on it. The question does come into play though on if they will find they need to do it sooner rather than later. I will say I debated on going for the one day we did. I figured that it would be best to do it then for the day though before it got to be like it looked today.

I wanted to add one more thing. I didn't spend nearly as much money in the parks the day we were there compared to the past. I think there was a combo of just not having much in the way of snack carts open at the times, having to be picky on where we ate and when compared to before with walking up and getting food from more than one place and then the shopping. We really didn't do that much in that area. It felt more like it was going to waste the time earlier in the day so we did it a half hour before we left and didn't even spend that whole time in the shops. It was a quick in and out for the 2 stores.
    Funny - I spent A LOT of money on food and merch in the two days Ive been in the park. For Avengers Campus I know thats not a good indication since its new - but for Dland I spent around 150 for food and snacks in a day just for myself (a nice meal at Cafe Orleans hits hard). So Im rethinking how much I used to spend in the parks with my AP (i probably spent more than I thought over time). I think you may see a program sooner. It looks like evenings at the parks have been very quiet. Maybe that will change in July when fireworks come back or shows. For now - its definitely an exodus out of disneyland beginning at 6 pm or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I honestly do not think Disney gave a care to crowds and complaints on it? To them as long as each day made a profit no matter what kind of way someone entered the parks that is all that would have mattered in the end. Mind you, the biggest time that the parks had a higher chance of closing to capacity was at a time when usually the highest priced AP was the only one allowed in. So question is how many where APs really compared to 1 day or multiday ticket holders at that time? BTW, I remember in my teens DL being packed just as bad for that time during the holidays as well. So its not like its something that just popped up over the years. Mix in though over the years the added things such as Halloween time and them letting groups hold their "unofficial events" that I know can end up being to the point of hitting capacity or close to it at times. Those same groups are still out there pushing their events for later this year. Yet Disney has helped push those same over crowding events over the years knowing how packed things get.
    There have been several observations out there that now without APs there is a HUGE influx of guests in the morning. Have you seen the videos on twitter or tiktok at the harbor entrance on June 15th. OMG. People waiting in the street - the actual street. The consensus is that if APs still existed - or even a half day ticket - that the mornings would not be so crazy. and the fact that the parks STILL dont open gates to the esplanade early or manage the crowds appropriately tells me they definitely don't think about things in advance. Its only after the fact when there are problems do they make an adjustment. To me - this is because they don't want to spend the money up front to have CMs ready - just in case they don't need them. Of course by the time they change things the experience for those first 2 days was less than stellar.

Our quick trip was carless, so Breakfast was mobile ordered from Starbucks and Jamba Juice while walking to the park. Lunch and dinner were mobile orders inside the park, with one lunch PS for Carthay. The first lunch was rough, not realizing that many places had no walk-up and that order times were way out for some places. After that we planned ahead and ordered an hour or so before we would be ready and we all still ordered from wherever we wanted and met back somewhere central to eat. Whistler and M didn't have the app. We'd just send them a screenshot with their order number when it was ready for them to show the CM.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Since I live in Sacramento, my trips are usually 3-days in the parks so the spur-of-the-moment trip doesn't work for me as it does for so many of you that live closer. We may have an occasional meal outside the resort (aka Pizza Press on our arrival day and McDonald's for a nighttime snack on our way to our hotel), but the rest of the meals are eaten inside the parks, with usually at least one table-service meal. I'm sad to not have our Deluxe pass anymore, but am happy to still have the "Legacy Passholder Discount" in the meantime for the discounts on our meals & shopping. We usually spend about $50-100 on food each day in the park and our shopping spending varies, so Disney makes the same on us each trip in those departments. With the AP, I would try to make at least 3 trips per year, but may be discouraged if I have to buy a 3-day PH each time (even buying discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist as I have twice this year)...that ends up costing us more if we still do 3 trips per year. I doubt they put any memberships into play before 2022, but that's my feeling on the subject.

I used mobile order for everything except Lamplight Inn last month; I'm not a fan of HAVING to do something on your phone, as it wouldn't work for people who don't have the app. However, if you can customize the food within in the app (like withhold cheese on a pizza) and also still give everyone an equal chance to order food otherwise, I'm fine with using it.

BTW...you can ask Guest Services for a paper ticket for your Legacy Passholder Discount, so you don't always have to depend upon your phone. Hubby doesn't have data or the app on his phone, so he found out about it during our trip last month. We did find that the "tickets" dropped from the app after we received them, so I had to rescan them back in.

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

olegc, yes the line on Harbor I saw the pics of. it was back to Candy Cane Inn from one picture I saw yesterday morning. I know we got dropped off on that side and weren't sure how far back it went but there was 2 separate ones and the one back towards DCA was WAY long and the one closer to the street was not as far back. It really was such a mess with how its handled over there. Its not surprising though. As you said they don't think about things in advance at all. They tell warn guests in enough time when changes are made to openings or anything else. There is also so much inconsistency going on as well where there is rope drop in DL and I heard that wasn't the case in DCA. Then the mobile order issues where they are telling us in their official blog how its offered but then surprise, you have to use it to get anything at all for the most part. Why not be upfront and say you will need to use it in these locations so people can know this is the case, you know?

With the APs and how it is with lines now, I do think it would make a HUGE difference in the line getting in. Most APs would have gladly waited to go in later in the day instead of the early morning hours but because we are all on the same level playing field we all feel more like we need to get the most for our money, you know? I think the first week or 2 might have been still the way it was with APers wanting to get in and spend the whole day but I think it would have lesson over time where some would have wanted to just get in for a dinner in a certain place, snacks and shopping.

I agree they don't want to spend the money up front on CMs. I know some thing having reservations in place makes it so they can staff as needed but no matter what I think they will go as low on staff as they can get away with instead of making sure to have a few extras here and there.

candles71 I am sorry that worked out that way for you. They don't think about that there are those that don't have smartphones (yes hard to believe but I've seen a few ask how to do this with no phone) or might have older ones even that the app isn't working right with it. As I said when Disney posted about it on their blog they made it all sound like it was just an option not the thing you HAD to do in most cases. There are many that don't read boards so how would they know about this being the case until they try to walk up. Can't imagine having young kids hungry in that moment with this situation. I seriously do not like to have schedule when we eat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Since I live in Sacramento, my trips are usually 3-days in the parks so the spur-of-the-moment trip doesn't work for me as it does for so many of you that live closer. We may have an occasional meal outside the resort (aka Pizza Press on our arrival day and McDonald's for a nighttime snack on our way to our hotel), but the rest of the meals are eaten inside the parks, with usually at least one table-service meal. I'm sad to not have our Deluxe pass anymore, but am happy to still have the "Legacy Passholder Discount" in the meantime for the discounts on our meals & shopping. We usually spend about $50-100 on food each day in the park and our shopping spending varies, so Disney makes the same on us each trip in those departments. With the AP, I would try to make at least 3 trips per year, but may be discouraged if I have to buy a 3-day PH each time (even buying discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist as I have twice this year)...that ends up costing us more if we still do 3 trips per year. I doubt they put any memberships into play before 2022, but that's my feeling on the subject.

I used mobile order for everything except Lamplight Inn last month; I'm not a fan of HAVING to do something on your phone, as it wouldn't work for people who don't have the app. However, if you can customize the food within in the app (like withhold cheese on a pizza) and also still give everyone an equal chance to order food otherwise, I'm fine with using it.

BTW...you can ask Guest Services for a paper ticket for your Legacy Passholder Discount, so you don't always have to depend upon your phone. Hubby doesn't have data or the app on his phone, so he found out about it during our trip last month. We did find that the "tickets" dropped from the app after we received them, so I had to rescan them back in.
    Good to know on the Legacy Passholder discount. I had to close my app and reopen at the one store to get it up because it was just the circle going. Luckily it came up the 2nd time. I finally got someone btw, to help me in the app chat in getting that worked out for me. Didn't need to fill out the form again at all. That guy was awesome! Its still coming up on food I noticed with the discount being a cent or few off on items of the same price. Its not to much at least but its just another of the inconsistencies.

I will say that no matter how long we would stay in the parks, we always had at least 1 full meal some place while there in the parks. With the tickets, I've seen a few that have gone so many times since the parks reopened and aren't locals. Plus stayed at the Grand each trip (not DVC that I noticed either). I just know that even being local I can't see spending what we did for the day again anytime soon or once a month or so as some seem to be doing. I figured if we don't have news on a new AP program of sorts by the time it is closer to when we would have to pick reservations for the holidays then I would grab tickets for a day. Generally summer for us would have been going in the later part of the day so I don't have to deal with the heat and get sick from it. If it was really bad we wouldn't even go near the inland areas. Like I said before, my husband can't deal with the whole day there anymore so having APs worked out perfect in this manner. If he wanted to leave he could whenever. Depending on the time of the day, he would give the option of whoever wanted to go home with him could or stay and he would come pick us up later. Which he decided to not go with us because as he said it could have been a waste of money to spend a full day park hopper ticket on him if he could only be there part of the day. With your needing to have to travel to get down this way, I can totally understand how it made it easier to do 3 trips a year compared to tickets. I think that was the case for many others that traveled as well and why they would go the AP route. It just made more sense for so many and toss in the discounts.