Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Avengers Campus Opening

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I would disagree with this to an extent. I think that DCA has a great combination of rides for kids, including little kids - perhaps not all at the same location, but definitely all still there. My kids loved the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and activities as a great place to run around; Turtle Talk with Crush is really fun with the littles; Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters are only a 32" height requirement; the Little Mermaid is a fabulous dark ride for little kids; Flicks Flyers were moved and repainted and is now Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind. Last time I checked, there were only around 10 rides in DCA with a height requirement, and only 2 rides that required you to be 48". The rest were 42" or less. So DCA did lose 4 rides for kids for this new area - but from when Bugs Land was built until now, has more than added other things for that age group.
    i think there is an interesting issue with Webslingers. it has no height requirement yet i doubt a 3 year old could figure out what to do correctly on the ride - so they're just tagging along. I guess they'd get enjoyment with seeing the screens? I get your comments though that there are things to do around the park - but if you have to pack up after each one and move along to the next ride, then unpack, then get all on the ride, then pack up again does that make it more difficult? IDK - my youngest is 21 and oldest is 30 so im well past that stage but seem to recall the shuffling of "stuff" and stroller from place to place was itself a job. And redwood creek I think is geared to pre-tween and above even though youngers can run around (you just need to be very close in case they lose their footing).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post

Aside from that, I had read some reviews and saw pictures from opening day and it just looked like a cluster of crazy in the land and out with that line to get in. Lots of mixed reviews it seems on the WS and land as well. I will say when I saw they were doing all those pop up shows and such that it seemed it wouldn't be the best to do at this time when they should have known it would 1. keep people sitting there all day camped out to see each one and 2. there would be no distancing at all during them. It was a given that would happen.

I will disagree on the adding more tables for eating at because you are removing your mask to eat and some will just sit and use it as a way to keep a mask off while not even eating or drinking. The no distancing when walking through the parks when we are walking or in lines is a bit different IMO since we are masked up. The problem usually comes with those that use the tables to camp out at instead of once done move along for the next group to sit and eat their food at. Obviously over time this will all change and more will be added in at some point when they can and/or people will stop camping at tables because they have moved on with hanging out in the area. I just know I wouldn't want to be crammed in with a ton of others in such a matter maskless at this point still..
    On the mixed reviews - I took some of them to be "cmon Disney you should know by now" but many others seemed to be bandwagon click-bait. the stories of mismanagement of the crowd and entry to the land are correct but I dont think you could have had the land wide open to walk around in and have done anything on the ground with characters. At only 6 acres there's not enough room for all. To me as well many problems of camping may have gone away if there were more places to just sit. almost all of the flat surfaces in the land had the "not available" stickers on them - so you had to sit on even or jagged formations in other parts of the land, or lean on railings. Despite all the crap that went on I think its a nice addition and does some things better than SWGE but they could have done more and be better prepared. Marvel is the #1 franchise for them - with that you'd think they would have a better idea at the popularity.

One more comment on the shows - they held them A LOT so that many got to see them - the stunt show and Dora MIlaje especially and they are all in a broad area. The only one you had to really camp for was Dr. Strange.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    On the mixed reviews - I took some of them to be "cmon Disney you should know by now" but many others seemed to be bandwagon click-bait. the stories of mismanagement of the crowd and entry to the land are correct but I dont think you could have had the land wide open to walk around in and have done anything on the ground with characters. At only 6 acres there's not enough room for all. To me as well many problems of camping may have gone away if there were more places to just sit. almost all of the flat surfaces in the land had the "not available" stickers on them - so you had to sit on even or jagged formations in other parts of the land, or lean on railings. Despite all the crap that went on I think its a nice addition and does some things better than SWGE but they could have done more and be better prepared. Marvel is the #1 franchise for them - with that you'd think they would have a better idea at the popularity.

One more comment on the shows - they held them A LOT so that many got to see them - the stunt show and Dora MIlaje especially and they are all in a broad area. The only one you had to really camp for was Dr. Strange.
    Oh for sure you can tell when you read reviews with anything Disney if one is being click-bait (boy is there more of that then not), someone that just is a Disney apologist and all they do is perfect, and those that look at it from their own point of view with good and bad. There will always be a mix of good and bad at times in the parks. Its just a given. With things like AC and GE being created of those franchises, then you have a mix of types of fans and opinions from the die hard fans of a franchise to the just Disney fans and ones that are fans of both and in between. I'm not a fan of either Star Wars or Marvel but my husband and sons are for both. GE seemed to be the more important one for them to see though. My son wasn't disappointed at all in not going in the area even or going on WS.

I agree there was no way the land could be open to all to just go in and out of at this point. It would have been worse with crowding in there for sure if it was a free for all. Of course Disney is also great at causing LOTS of confusion on things and that can add to some's displeasure in the moment. This is where they probably should have used the system they were for a short time when GE opened. I think because of GE had the reservation only slots done first probably helped ease things a bit in that area but we also weren't opening GE after the parks reopening because of a pandemic. So I think with AC we have a lot more people that also just want to be there for things more so after not having DL parks for so long and its something new on top of that. I think at some point though the "new" of it all will wear off and it will be easy enough to go in and out of.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

It seems to me that the GE land reservation process is viewed as a failure by Disney management because they didn't need it in hindsight (when it officially opened, after the "previews"). first couple of days there were tons of crowds and then not so after a week (maybe two?) they abandoned the land reservations. This may be why they didn't use that for AC.

Interesting that there are digital signs in AC like fake cell phones (the bar) and other locations - they could have put that at the front of campus so easily and provided updates there... After all the mess they can post information regarding shows and webslingers wait, etc. When too much crowding the could provide updates on what is and is not going on (can you get in with a mobile order, how long is the wait really, what shows are running or not, is mobile order available, etc.) . Part of me feels they don't WANT to have something like this available because somehow it removes flexibility. Frankly its just lazy management because they want to be able to decide "on the fly" what to do. Of course when that happens not everyone gets the word.

It seems to me that the GE land reservation process is viewed as a failure by Disney management because they didn't need it in hindsight (when it officially opened, after the "previews"). first couple of days there were tons of crowds and then not so after a week (maybe two?) they abandoned the land reservations. This may be why they didn't use that for AC.
    I feel like at whatever meetings this was discussed, they didn't fully appreciate (a) the social media factor of wanting to tweet/livestream/vlog/etc from the new land extends beyond just the "media preview" days and (b) people paying between $68 (pro rated kids 5-day 1-park pass) and $209 (adult 1-day park-hopper peak day) are going to behave differently than a park that is filled with annual pass holders.

I also feel like if Rise of the Resistance had opened at the same time as the rest of Star Wars land and without the virtual queue, they absolutely would have needed the GE land reservation process.

Interesting that there are digital signs in AC like fake cell phones (the bar) and other locations - they could have put that at the front of campus so easily and provided updates there... After all the mess they can post information regarding shows and webslingers wait, etc. When too much crowding the could provide updates on what is and is not going on (can you get in with a mobile order, how long is the wait really, what shows are running or not, is mobile order available, etc.) . Part of me feels they don't WANT to have something like this available because somehow it removes flexibility. Frankly its just lazy management because they want to be able to decide "on the fly" what to do. Of course when that happens not everyone gets the word.
    Oh agree and think it is lazy management of things. With going in with the "on the fly" mindset is what creates confusion. Sometimes I wonder how some of these people got put in charge of these decisions that create such chaos at times. LOL

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I also feel like if Rise of the Resistance had opened at the same time as the rest of Star Wars land and without the virtual queue, they absolutely would have needed the GE land reservation process.
    I agree here. That would have blown the land up A LOT. though - its still has way more room than AC.

Blog Entries

did you all see the story about the sewage failure in Avengers Campus? Apparently the restroom on site had a break - and it affected not only the availability of the restroom but also the Webslingers queue (which uses part of backstage and goes behind the restroom building). I guess it was not built to handle the level of crowds that have been coming in. It is the oldest part of Avengers Campus (besides the webslingers show building which was Tough to be a Bug). Having to let guests leave the land and come back, while others waited in line, must have been a nightmare.

Avengers Campus branded porta potties?

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/06/a...us-issues-mr1/

My husband was saying they probably didn't think to flush things through in the plumbing before the land was opened and stuff. He says he has seen that happen so many times where he works. They just work around all this stuff put whatever else in but the things that were there already in place, like the old Bug's Life bathrooms rethemed to the land, get overlooked. Mix in the amount of use its taking with how many are in there. BTW, I noticed they have a little sign above the toilets in the bathrooms now to not flush diapers. Those weren't there when the parks closed last year.