Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Avengers Campus Opening

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    Avengers Campus Opening

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #2

    I'm surprised and disappointed that it is opening at the beginning of summer. Given how quickly Touch of Disney sold out, I would have preferred that they take care of pent-up demand before they give even more people incentive to try to get tickets on day 1.


  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I'm surprised and disappointed that it is opening at the beginning of summer. Given how quickly Touch of Disney sold out, I would have preferred that they take care of pent-up demand before they give even more people incentive to try to get tickets on day 1.
    I was surprised as well. I can imagine though there will be those that will now debate the reopening weekend and June 4th or both for those that can. I think it will be interesting to see now how reservations go before that date compared to after.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I was surprised as well. I can imagine though there will be those that will now debate the reopening weekend and June 4th or both for those that can. I think it will be interesting to see now how reservations go before that date compared to after.
    My first instinct is that people will want tickets for both days - but then I have to stop and remember that without annual passes - or the new Membership - everyone going is paying full price. That may turn out to be self-limiting.

    I think I'm just salty because this is our first DVC reservation that won't be cancelled due to COVID, and since the hotel reservation doesn't guarantee admission - now I'm fighting a whole lot more people to try to get tickets and reservations confirmed.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    My first instinct is that people will want tickets for both days - but then I have to stop and remember that without annual passes - or the new Membership - everyone going is paying full price. That may turn out to be self-limiting.

    I think I'm just salty because this is our first DVC reservation that won't be cancelled due to COVID, and since the hotel reservation doesn't guarantee admission - now I'm fighting a whole lot more people to try to get tickets and reservations confirmed.
    After seeing the prices this morning, I'm thinking many will end up having to go with one or the other because of no aps/membership. Its going to be hard for sure with just in state being allowed but can you imagine if you added the out of state people as well....it would be a lot worse. I wish you luck in getting the days you need for your stay though.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  7. #6
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post

    I think I'm just salty because this is our first DVC reservation that won't be cancelled due to COVID, and since the hotel reservation doesn't guarantee admission - now I'm fighting a whole lot more people to try to get tickets and reservations confirmed.
    this is interesting to me. Im not a DVC member - but if you reserved your hotel first, and cant get tickets for the dates you are there, whats the cancellation process? Will Disney hotels proper end up with more cancellations (not many but some) as people try to figure out how to book all of these things.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    this is interesting to me. Im not a DVC member - but if you reserved your hotel first, and cant get tickets for the dates you are there, whats the cancellation process? Will Disney hotels proper end up with more cancellations (not many but some) as people try to figure out how to book all of these things.
    Because it's DVC, it plays by significantly different rules than a regular hotel reservation. In theory, I could cancel and try to rebook, but it would be based on availability and the Grand California historically books up quickly. There are also issues regarding the number of points required for any given stay based on time of year, use years, banking deadlines, etc. At this point, I expect that we will keep our reservation even if we can't get park tickets, but I won't be happy about it.

  9. #8
    Healthy and Happy june1st1997's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole... Parenthood
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    After seeing the prices this morning, I'm thinking many will end up having to go with one or the other because of no aps/membership. Its going to be hard for sure with just in state being allowed but can you imagine if you added the out of state people as well....it would be a lot worse. I wish you luck in getting the days you need for your stay though.
    I have been looking for ticket price information. Where did you find it? I am obviously looking in all the wrong places. Thank you.
    Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

    High School here she comes!

  10. #9
    Healthy and Happy june1st1997's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole... Parenthood

    Nevermind. Found it! $154 for single park... pricey for sure... but not as pricey as I thought it would be. I thought $200 was a possibility.

    Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

    High School here she comes!

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by june1st1997 View Post
    Nevermind. Found it! $154 for single park... pricey for sure... but not as pricey as I thought it would be. I thought $200 was a possibility.
    Glad you found it. They just left the prices as it was when things closed down.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  12. #11
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    Disney has been putting out the latest info on the park's blog covering CM costumes, food options, and today merchandise. Its all pretty unique and I think they are getting it right. A vlogger put it this way which I agree - Disney finally has made everything show - attractions are show, shopping is show, merch is show...

    I'll take a step back to ponder - there's an element here I'm concerned about. When everything's a show it costs more to Disney to make it so. The new web-slingers add ons are going to be $35 for the base and $30 for the add on (i saw that on OC Register and Brady McDonald's column today). You will score higher in the attraction if you use these add ons. Some are very excited about this blurring of lines between your visit and your experience in each segment. Im thinking its more like Santa Clause 3 - you cant do anything anymore unless you pick up the add-on. Yes, I understand that this is the trend and things will get more expensive - but at some point when is it just entertainment? I get in the park and just enjoy it? Obviously this trend is not changing everything overnight but I wonder - will my grandchildren get to experience the parks the same way? Will this ever come back to, as Walt said, a place where parents and children can get together and have fun - a family park. I keep thinking where will the fun be when you whip out your credit card every 20 feet....

    Now the only question is do I want blasters or electrified webs? (ha ha).

    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    It comes off as nothing more than the typical find a way to be more greedy because they know they have many guests that will buy into anything and everything they do without a care in the world. I joked with one of my sons this morning after reading about the web-slinger stuff and how soon Disney will not just charge you to get in the parks but for each ride you go on and then make you pay another fee to eat some place in the park on top of the food cost. LOL

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  14. #13
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    It comes off as nothing more than the typical find a way to be more greedy because they know they have many guests that will buy into anything and everything they do without a care in the world. I joked with one of my sons this morning after reading about the web-slinger stuff and how soon Disney will not just charge you to get in the parks but for each ride you go on and then make you pay another fee to eat some place in the park on top of the food cost. LOL
    in the past folks have discussed bringing ticket books back (or something like it) so that rides that are popular get noticed with usage - and those that dont want to ride so much can just walk around. Folks think that this would lower tickets prices.... Nope. As your example intimates - they'd just find a way to increase ways to charge you, not to reduce costs. Thats the nature of the business right now.

    On a different subject - its been annoying to see the posts on the Legacy Passholder twitter feed about the Avengers info saying "you are the first ones to get info on...." Really? The tweet is posted at the same time as all other avenues and the website. It really shows that Park's management believes all passholders are not very bright and will believe anything the parks give them. Its sad - a loyal segment of your market and you cant connect with them. and continue to lack this ability...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    in the past folks have discussed bringing ticket books back (or something like it) so that rides that are popular get noticed with usage - and those that dont want to ride so much can just walk around. Folks think that this would lower tickets prices.... Nope. As your example intimates - they'd just find a way to increase ways to charge you, not to reduce costs. Thats the nature of the business right now.

    On a different subject - its been annoying to see the posts on the Legacy Passholder twitter feed about the Avengers info saying "you are the first ones to get info on...." Really? The tweet is posted at the same time as all other avenues and the website. It really shows that Park's management believes all passholders are not very bright and will believe anything the parks give them. Its sad - a loyal segment of your market and you cant connect with them. and continue to lack this ability...
    I am so with you on that. It would never lower cost and in fact everything would just keep going up as much as they can push it and keep going.

    LOL about the Legacy Passholder. I still haven't had a response on mine not showing in the app btw. Its online but not the app go figure and my husband's is the opposite. Yet of course when it comes to what news is put out and how they do it, they will always assume that the people aren't to bright it seems and only follow them one way (or at least its what they hope). Its stupid to act as if one is getting the news first before any place else. Just give it and leave it at that. No games needed to act as the LPs are special when we know they could care less.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    Looks like Web Slingers will be using the virtual queue in the same manner as Rise does.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  17. #16
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Looks like Web Slingers will be using the virtual queue in the same manner as Rise does.
    and note that you cant hold both a ROTR and a Webslingers queue spot at the same time.
    a comment - so you're having trouble selling out DCA as it is on a regular basis. Now you've limited a ride on the new attraction to once per day; it costs $130 or so depending on the day to get it; and if you buy the new toys you can use it one time in a day on the ride and thats it. Yet they pitch everything to us like we have passes. Again I say - do they honestly think a majority of guests will buy multiple day tickets to come back weekly? or more than that? even for a new land and ride I cant consider that investment. Maybe once a month.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    and note that you cant hold both a ROTR and a Webslingers queue spot at the same time.
    Where do you see that? I read " Guests may only enter a virtual queue once per day per attraction." which makes it seem like with a park-hopper you could (possibly) go on both rides in one day (plus Indiana Jones depending on if/how that ride's virtual queue is working that day).

  19. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Where do you see that? I read " Guests may only enter a virtual queue once per day per attraction." which makes it seem like with a park-hopper you could (possibly) go on both rides in one day (plus Indiana Jones depending on if/how that ride's virtual queue is working that day).
    Its right here
    Joining the virtual queue does not guarantee the ability to experience WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Guests may only enter a virtual queue once per day for each attraction, and may not hold a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure at the same time.

    Editing to add: I can't see even spending the costs of what tickets are for once a month. It adds up fast for just one day to get in the parks..which we already knew was pretty high. Yet I can't see doing it each month...even if I was solo. Obviously I've seen a few people comment in other places that they have their plans all lined up to go a few times a month but without the AP I just can't see doing it myself. Yet it does seem like with all that was being offered for this ride with the extras that it was targeted towards APs that went a lot and were big on doing TSMM and Buzz a lot. So without the APers that would have bought into this they will have to look for the repeat locals for now that will gladly drag that stuff along each visit.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  20. #19
    Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Blog Entries
    1

    Also, Avengers Campus map is on the app as of today.

    Karin


  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Its right here
    Joining the virtual queue does not guarantee the ability to experience WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Guests may only enter a virtual queue once per day for each attraction, and may not hold a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure at the same time.
    Thanks - when I tried to load that page from my desktop it loaded an error message saying I was unauthorized to view that page. it loads fine on my cell phone (weird). So, theoretically, with a park-hopper ticket and a lot of luck, a person could get a low boarding group number for their starting park, go on that ride, then at noon get a boarding group number for the other ride. But practically most people won't be able to do both in a single day.

    Are the ROR boarding tickets still being scooped up within seconds? I haven't looked since the park reopened but I assume that Avengers will be the same/worse once it opens.

  22. #21
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Thanks - when I tried to load that page from my desktop it loaded an error message saying I was unauthorized to view that page. it loads fine on my cell phone (weird). So, theoretically, with a park-hopper ticket and a lot of luck, a person could get a low boarding group number for their starting park, go on that ride, then at noon get a boarding group number for the other ride. But practically most people won't be able to do both in a single day.

    Are the ROR boarding tickets still being scooped up within seconds? I haven't looked since the park reopened but I assume that Avengers will be the same/worse once it opens.
    yes - if its been a minute and you dont have a group you will be out of luck.

    EDIT - maybe it will be a shade better when June 15th comes but I wonder.

    Bob Chapek today basically said virtual queues and park passes (reservations) are here to stay until further notice (he used different words). Some folks in the DISTwitter arena said folks who are negative on webslingers being in a virtual queue should calm down because in 11 days it wont be in the queue anymore. Really? After Chapek made those statements - IDK.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  23. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Thanks - when I tried to load that page from my desktop it loaded an error message saying I was unauthorized to view that page. it loads fine on my cell phone (weird). So, theoretically, with a park-hopper ticket and a lot of luck, a person could get a low boarding group number for their starting park, go on that ride, then at noon get a boarding group number for the other ride. But practically most people won't be able to do both in a single day.

    Are the ROR boarding tickets still being scooped up within seconds? I haven't looked since the park reopened but I assume that Avengers will be the same/worse once it opens.
    Hmm weird, I got it to open on my laptop fine.

    From what it sounds like, they still are going fast. So yes there is the chance that those with boarding groups that get through before noon could get a boarding group for the other ride. Yet with this set up and it not exactly put out there in a way all would see it, I can imagine this is setting up for some very unhappy guests that decided to pay for park hoppers hoping to do both.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  24. #23
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Editing to add: I can't see even spending the costs of what tickets are for once a month. It adds up fast for just one day to get in the parks..which we already knew was pretty high. Yet I can't see doing it each month...even if I was solo. Obviously I've seen a few people comment in other places that they have their plans all lined up to go a few times a month but without the AP I just can't see doing it myself. Yet it does seem like with all that was being offered for this ride with the extras that it was targeted towards APs that went a lot and were big on doing TSMM and Buzz a lot. So without the APers that would have bought into this they will have to look for the repeat locals for now that will gladly drag that stuff along each visit.
    I tried to do a little math. Maybe not once a month (unless I go on less popular days) but if I took what I spend on AP each year (1149 or 1199 cant remember) what does that get me to get in the gate. I guess I didnt use the correct model (apples to apples) because with an AP you could park hop whenever and now its cost prohibitive for me. So while the discounts are there I guess my budget for entry is still the same as an AP for the year- but now I dont see justifying spending that to get in for 2 or 3 hours on repeated days to try multiple foods at Pym's (with their checkboxes on the food guides) or multiple rides on the webslingers. Some folks have said before large population of APs you couldnt go multiple times in a year. My family did and we were not that well off. its all relative based on what your budget is - but the model will definitely be different for experiencing something new at the parks. You may hear about it and not go for 4 months or longer and some may tell you "eh, been there"... I wonder if thats the experience some folks have now with ROTR - since it closed so soon after opening here at DLAND. (sorry for ranting).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  25. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Bob Chapek today basically said virtual queues and park passes (reservations) are here to stay until further notice (he used different words). Some folks in the DISTwitter arena said folks who are negative on webslingers being in a virtual queue should calm down because in 11 days it wont be in the queue anymore. Really? After Chapek made those statements - IDK.
    Oh I saw that. These guys running things have no clue IMO. One of the things I was reading made Chapek act like the reservations and virtual queues were keeping people safe during COVID and how everyone is happy over it all. Obviously this guy has no clue. Many are not happy with the virtual queues. Who wants to have to really be up earlier than needed to try and get in on the queue? Then you have to be glued to your phone so you don't miss when its your turn. Toss in trying to fit in when to eat and other rides. While with FP you know this is the timeframe you have to get to the ride. Mix in to things that what if you get a later boarding group that never is called? Then what? If its set up as it is now with being allowed 1 time to ride something, who would be happy with that? Then the reservation system....oh boy. Sorry but at some point with the amount of tech and planning they want involved, it seems like its more work than need be. I know they want more tech brought into the parks as well but I'm one that wants LESS.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  26. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I tried to do a little math. Maybe not once a month (unless I go on less popular days) but if I took what I spend on AP each year (1149 or 1199 cant remember) what does that get me to get in the gate. I guess I didnt use the correct model (apples to apples) because with an AP you could park hop whenever and now its cost prohibitive for me. So while the discounts are there I guess my budget for entry is still the same as an AP for the year- but now I dont see justifying spending that to get in for 2 or 3 hours on repeated days to try multiple foods at Pym's (with their checkboxes on the food guides) or multiple rides on the webslingers. Some folks have said before large population of APs you couldnt go multiple times in a year. My family did and we were not that well off. its all relative based on what your budget is - but the model will definitely be different for experiencing something new at the parks. You may hear about it and not go for 4 months or longer and some may tell you "eh, been there"... I wonder if thats the experience some folks have now with ROTR - since it closed so soon after opening here at DLAND. (sorry for ranting).
    I grew up going to Disneyland at least 2-3 times a year. We were never well off but between my mom's friend that got tickets through her job at times, my dad working at PacBell and doing those nights and then the times we just went. When I moved down this way to OC, I talked my husband into us getting APs. We had 1 kid at that time and we only had Disneyland. I used to do days with each of my kids alone in the parks or all together over the years. My husband didn't want an AP for a few years but decided when GE came he wanted one again. We had enjoyed for years date nights in the parks and were doing them again. Heck that was the last time I was in the parks as well before COVID. He can't handle being there all day. He can do half a day at most at this point but his body is worn from many years of the physical labor of his job. Its not worth the cost of a ticket for a day for him. Even the cheapest ticket wouldn't be worth it. As he has said at the cost of a ticket for the day you feel more like you have to get the most for the money spent. With APs it was more relaxed in how we approached it compared to before. I noticed that when my friend would visit that it wasn't as relaxed either because I always wanted to make sure she got her money's worth on her tickets.
    BTW, at the max cost of a 1 day/1 park ticket. If someone did a day once a month it would cost them $,1848. That is just to get in the park, no extras like photopass, fastpass, etc. You have to then take into account that is if one is solo. At the $124 cost it would be $1,488. I don't see there being to many days that go below that once we even get to Sept. Then you think right now about all that isn't offered in the parks (food, shopping, rides, shows, etc). I can't imagine doing it more than once a year...if that at this point if things are going to keep heading in the direction they seem to be going.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •