Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Living with the Land

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Living with the Land

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Living with the Land by Chris Barry

Chris takes a ride through the greenhouses in this Epcot classic.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

One more thing I like about Live With the Land - the change to recorded voiceover. Normally I'm not a fan of eliminating live hosts that bring a sense of personality and connection. But those live hosts mostly were sleepy automatons going through the motions of their memorized scripts, and were (for me) a huge distraction from the coolness of the attraction.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    One more thing I like about Live With the Land - the change to recorded voiceover. Normally I'm not a fan of eliminating live hosts that bring a sense of personality and connection. But those live hosts mostly were sleepy automatons going through the motions of their memorized scripts, and were (for me) a huge distraction from the coolness of the attraction.
    I've seen both and I do kind of agree with you and I'm also with you on not usually being a fan of eliminating the human touch. On this cruise, no skipper seems to work better.
    Although we did have one awesome driver who brought my daughter up to the front - she must have been 5 or 6 - to steer and point out things to the passengers which was a great memory.

I have seen the queue. I didn't wait an hour or anything like that, but I probably have waited maybe 20 minutes to a half hour a few times. I'm sure I've seen it reported as longer (maybe 40 mins, from vague memory here) on the app a few times (maybe these were F&W Marathon weekends, or some other event was going on). Depending on what else I am planning for the day, I don't mind a bit of a wait to do LWTL while I'm already down there for Soarin'. Especially if I'm park hopping and won't easily find myself back in that part of Epcot for the rest of the day. Before the current FW construction started, I wouldn't think much of strolling across to FWE to go to Mission Space, Test Track, or the Festival Center and then coming back to the West side shortly after. The center pathway was great for that. Obviously with all the construction walls, it's a bigger time investment to walk around, so I'd probably be willing to wait in a longer line before heading away from the FWW area.

I won't try to guess if the growing of the vegetables for restaurants actually saves money, but I think it serves as a big "cool" factor that so many restaurants around the park will point that out to you. Is it enough of a detail that the average park guest would miss if it were gone? My guess might be no for an average guest. I'm sure it's a neat tidbit for those who happen to be gardeners, even if they only visit WDW once. Many Disney fans who love little details like this would definitely miss it. Hopefully this attraction sticks around.

I don't know if they repeated it for 2020 due to the pandemic, but in 2019 they did a Holiday Lights overlay for this attraction in the greenhouses. It was not Osborne Lights level of being overdone, but I thought it was neat to see the greenhouse areas lit up at night. I probably wouldn't consider this a top 5 aspect of the attraction, but I though it might be worth a mention here.

-Dave

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Hey Dave. I've never seen the holiday lights inside. That would definitely be a cool thing to see. Glad they think enough of the attraction to do so.

Totally agree with #2. I have a short list of places at WDW where I would love to "hide out" for a while. The farmstead in LWTL is one of them.

Hey Chris! I'm a big fan of this one too and totally agree with your top 5 (I know you left out Garden Grill on purpose, but as for the ride itself, I always found it funny riding as people stared at me while eating:-). I especially agree with #1. This is the last of old school Epcot. That old Living with the Land song still rings in my ears sometimes and reminds me of early visits. It's also a very relaxing (and air conditioned) place to enjoy a little piece and quiet during a crazy Epcot day. I echo your hope they leave this one more or less alone.

LWTL is a very underrated attraction and now my current favorite attraction in the Land. I love the dark ride portion of the ride. I actually prefer LWTL over Soarin Around the World mainly because of the longer duration and physical sets of LWTL.

My Top 5:

Rainforest - I agree with you
    Farmhouse - I agree with you
    American Prairie scene - I love the animatronic bison and prairie dogs as it reminds me of the beauty of Yellowstone National Park
    Greenhouse - Its interesting to see the abundance of crops before harvesting
    Christmas overlay - nice addition during Christmastime

Listen to the Land was such a catchy tune and I still think of it every time Im here. The song is nearly 40 and has stood the test of time for many of us who have been visiting Epcot since 82.

Late to the party on this one, but Living with the Land is always a hit with the family. There's a lot for the kids to look at and it makes a nice change of pace from other rides- especially on a hot day the fact that you're sitting down and resting is a rare commodity. I appreciate the level of detail on what could otherwise be a "throwaway" ride- the rainforest and the American prairie scene are well done, the farmhouse is brilliant in it's attention to detail and of course the greenhouse is fantastic (the food is also really good to eat, which you can do right upstairs at the Garden Grill). The only thing that sticks out as dated are the video scenes going into and out of the greenhouse- you can tell that the footage is at least 30 years old and just seems disconnected with other parts of the park with HD video. Overall though one of my favorite rides at Epcot.