Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Blue Bayou to serve alcohol

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Blog Entries
    1

    Blue Bayou to serve alcohol

    "The Blue Bayou will serve beer, sparkling wine and Hurricane cocktails when the New Orleans Square restaurant returns after Disneyland reopens on April 30.

    Disneyland made the decision to add alcohol to the Blue Bayou menu after the parks food and beverage team received thousands of requests over the years from international travelers and young adult visitors for more beer, wine and cocktail options at the restaurant.

    Booze at the Blue Bayou will break with a long-standing prohibition on alcohol in Disneyland instituted by Walt Disney who worried about attracting the wrong crowd who frequented seedy seaside amusement parks in the 1940s and 50s.

    The addition of beer, wine and cocktails to the Blue Bayou menu is intended to compliment the New Orleans-inspired food and theme of the restaurant and elevate the culinary experience.

    The alcohol menu will include a sparkling wine package served with dessert as well as a Hurricane blended cocktail made popular in New Orleans. Non-alcoholic seasonal varieties of the New Orleans Square mint julep will also be introduced."

    Full article here.

    Karin


  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    there's already long beer lines at DCA - even in the morning a little after opening. The narrower walkways in Disneyland may see some impact should the expansion continue as some observers have claimed. I guess I'll never understand "the need" to have a drink- though Disneyland is visited by as many adult couples out for entertaining evening as much as families are out there - so the demand has grown as the guest mix has changed over the years. I have seen a couple of instances of drunk incidents with multi-security personnel outcomes at DCA but those have been few and far between. For the most part it has not been that much of an impact there. If they keep this to restaurants and not allow people to walk around with the drinks I think thats a good compromise. I read one person's post today that said they had not been able to go to Blue Bayou for years because the spouse couldnt possibly have a steak without red wine. I think thats a lot more than an alcohol demand question ;-).

    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  4. #3

    How would having alcohol at Blue Bayou impact walkways? You can't line up to buy a drink that you can walk around with like you can in DCA. They already fill all of the reservations practically every day. This will bring up the average price of each check.


  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    I like to have a drink from time to time with a meal but its not something I care to do when I am with my kids in theme parks. Even at the ages of my kids now, I just do not do it. I have seen so many parents walk through DCA 2 fisting it and pushing a stroller with toddlers in it. I've always looked at this as I am the responsible one for them so why would I do that? It just don't get the whole "I need *insert booze drink* with my meal" excuse either. If you can't eat something without then yes it might be a problem. I am not a fan of this change to Blue Bayou. Even if one can't walk the park with it, it doesn't mean they aren't drinking to much between the 2 parks and DTD. I always think about how many could be driving not to long after their drinks as well. I think Walt Disney was right in not having it and his reasoning. There are many issues that have come up over time in DCA because of it and its also leaked into DL at times as well where you can smell it on the people and they are almost in fights with others for the littlest things. IMO the more alcohol is offered the more chances of issues coming up.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  6. #5

    Doesn't Club 33 have a full bar? So the well off crowd has been able to partake even hard liquor since the early days of Disneyland when Walt was alive, correct?

    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

  7. #6
    Healthy and Happy june1st1997's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down the Rabbit Hole... Parenthood
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Doesn't Club 33 have a full bar? So the well off crowd has been able to partake even hard liquor since the early days of Disneyland when Walt was alive, correct?
    Not sure if it's a full bar, but they do serve alcohol. There is also a dress code. And if I'm remembering clearly, a prixe fix menu. But I'm not sure what the point is. It's a private club, not a theme park open to the public. It happens to be located in a theme park.

    If someone is desperate to drink, they can go to any one of the hotels. In fact Grand CA is close. They can drink there. I agree, if you NEED a drink with dinner, that might be an indictor of something else.

    I don't see the point in framing it as a "have and have not" situation.
    Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

    High School here she comes!

  8. #7
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    How would having alcohol at Blue Bayou impact walkways? You can't line up to buy a drink that you can walk around with like you can in DCA. They already fill all of the reservations practically every day. This will bring up the average price of each check.
    not blue bayou.. if Disneyland decided to grow this service for guests and provide it on carts like they do at DCA - then its a possibility in the future. Thats what I was referring to.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  9. #8
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    Club 33 has Salon Nouvoux inside - which is a true bar and small bites..
    and, as mentioned, its totally private so not really impacting the average guest.

    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    not blue bayou.. if Disneyland decided to grow this service for guests and provide it on carts like they do at DCA - then its a possibility in the future. Thats what I was referring to.
    You used the exact same strawman argument the last time this topic came up. They are serving alcohol at table service. I don't see how lines for alcohol impact anyone at DCA except the people waiting in lines. If there is a cart at Disneyland that so offends you, choose another walkway.

  11. #10
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    You used the exact same strawman argument the last time this topic came up. They are serving alcohol at table service. I don't see how lines for alcohol impact anyone at DCA except the people waiting in lines. If there is a cart at Disneyland that so offends you, choose another walkway.
    wow - thanks for remembering...
    To me - and its my opinion so forgive me for having one - DCA is wider so its not an issue. And its a possibility, not a probability. Thanks for playing...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S. California (from Wisconsin)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here's an edited list of drinks at Olga's Cantina in Galaxy's Edge that was on Disney Parks Blog:

    Concoctions with Alcohol

    Featuring a wide range of classic and unique spirits found throughout the galaxy with a mixture of tastes and flavors to liven your taste buds.

    Morning Specialties

    . . . Bloody Rancor – vodka, chile liqueur, spicy Bloody Mary mix, and rancor bone


    Afternoon and Evening Specialties

    Fuzzy Tauntaun – peach vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice with tangerine, pure cane sugar, and “buzzz” foam

    Jedi Mind Trick – grapefruit and rose vodka, falernum [may or may not have alcohol], blue curaao, white grape juice, lime juice, and grapefruit bitters

    The Outer Rim – silver tequila, aa liqueur, lime juice, pure cane sugar, black salt, and exotic fruit pure

    T-16 Skyhopper – vodka, melon liqueur, kiwi, and half & half

    Dagobah Slug Slinger – reposado tequila, blue curaao, citrus juices, ginger, herbs, and bitters

    Jet Juice – bourbon, chile liqueur, aa liqueur, white grape juice, and lemon juice

    Yub Nub – pineapple rum, spiced rum, citrus juices, and passion fruit

    Bespin Fizz – rum, yuzu pure, pomegranate juice, white cranberry juice, and cloud swirl



    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-galaxys-edge/

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Concoctions with Alcohol

    Featuring a wide range of classic and unique spirits found throughout the galaxy with a mixture of tastes and flavors to liven your taste buds.
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is/was in posting this? (which isn't to suggest that you don't have one, more that I should probably go drink more coffee)

    I think the difference with Olga's cantina vs. a traditional bar is that many of the ingredients are pre-mixed, and the bartenders are combining mixtures vs. mixing drinks. For instance, in a traditional bar, you could tell the bartender that you wanted the Fuzzy Tauntaun with only peach vodka/peach schnapps but not both, or perhaps hold the pure cane sugar, and they could. I'm not sure that's possible at Olga's. Or maybe based on liquor laws they have the alcohol separately and all the mix-ins pre-combined, again I'm not sure. But when I've sat at the bar area it didn't look like they were combining every ingredient for every drink. And they definitely don't have alcohol that isn't used in one of their concoctions. I'm also unaware of any "secret" menus where you can go in and play with the available ingredients to create your own concoctions (although now that I've typed this, I kinda want to see if that is possible when the parks reopen - I'm pretty sure it was the vodka I didn't like in the Skyhopper and I would be interested in trying that again with a different alcohol or even with just the melon liqueur).

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Here's an edited list of drinks at Olga's Cantina in Galaxy's Edge that was on Disney Parks Blog:

    Concoctions with Alcohol

    Featuring a wide range of classic and unique spirits found throughout the galaxy with a mixture of tastes and flavors to liven your taste buds.

    Morning Specialties

    . . . Bloody Rancor – vodka, chile liqueur, spicy Bloody Mary mix, and rancor bone


    Afternoon and Evening Specialties

    Fuzzy Tauntaun – peach vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice with tangerine, pure cane sugar, and “buzzz” foam

    Jedi Mind Trick – grapefruit and rose vodka, falernum [may or may not have alcohol], blue curaao, white grape juice, lime juice, and grapefruit bitters

    The Outer Rim – silver tequila, aa liqueur, lime juice, pure cane sugar, black salt, and exotic fruit pure

    T-16 Skyhopper – vodka, melon liqueur, kiwi, and half & half

    Dagobah Slug Slinger – reposado tequila, blue curaao, citrus juices, ginger, herbs, and bitters

    Jet Juice – bourbon, chile liqueur, aa liqueur, white grape juice, and lemon juice

    Yub Nub – pineapple rum, spiced rum, citrus juices, and passion fruit

    Bespin Fizz – rum, yuzu pure, pomegranate juice, white cranberry juice, and cloud swirl



    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-galaxys-edge/
    How much of each type of alcohol is in those drinks and how much other liquid? Not all drinks contain an equal amount of alcohol.

  15. #14
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    How much of each type of alcohol is in those drinks and how much other liquid? Not all drinks contain an equal amount of alcohol.
    thats a good question. I dont think Disney has posted the actual amount in each beverage. Maybe one recipe or two has shown up on the blog. For me personally Im definitely feeling it after 2 drinks at Oga's no food - and Im a 235 pound man at 5'9". I know its different for each person - but I think there is a typical amount you'd find in any specialty drink at a bar. As was posted above - all of these are mixed in advance and delivered via spigot - so I wonder if the buckets or barrells or whatever need to be churned to ensure that the alcohol stays even in all of the drinks.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  16. #15

    Hope people can control their intake

    We were in Disney World last month and watched a fight almost break out after the park closed when we were waiting for the skyliner between two pretty drunk people. Lots of yelling and F-Bombs even with people asking them to keep it down because of all the kids. Security came before fist starting flying but it was not good.

    They both had a little too much liquid courage.

    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney


  17. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Hope people can control their intake

    We were in Disney World last month and watched a fight almost break out after the park closed when we were waiting for the skyliner between two pretty drunk people. Lots of yelling and F-Bombs even with people asking them to keep it down because of all the kids. Security came before fist starting flying but it was not good.

    They both had a little too much liquid courage.
    YIKES! Glad security got there before it got worse. I know I've seen this in Disneyland before as well. You could smell it on them and all it takes is a accidental bump to start something. We were waiting for the Electrical Parade over near Small World when that is what happened. One guy went off on the other for bumping into him. A lady cast member right there jumped in the middle of it and just kept repeating for each party to move along in different directions. How she managed to get them to I will never know but she did. Its happened in DCA plenty over the years with some guests recording that stuff. Sadly though I think that as long as the alcohol can be bought in the area there will be some problems that come with it and of course plenty that will be responsible too. It just always seems the more options given for drinking the more issues pop up. The area in my city where most the bars are together seem to have a lot of those issues as well. What is a bit much are the ones that make comments like how their meal will be better because they can have an alcoholic drink there now (does that mean the meal wasn't good before? LOL) or those that talk about how they NEED it to enjoy the place. SMH I assume that BB though will be similar to Ogga's in that it has a max. you can have (2 drinks) and that is it. Yet if its a 2 max, I wonder how it will end up with the wait for the next guests to be able to get in and served.

    BTW, I've seen so many stories for years about Epcot having a lot of issues because of the alcohol. I just saw some people comment that Disney Springs was pretty bad recently as well with the rowdiness.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    What is a bit much are the ones that make comments like how their meal will be better because they can have an alcoholic drink there now (does that mean the meal wasn't good before? LOL)
    Have you dined at BB recently? I haven't, because it was consistently disappointing for the price. I am NOT a big drinker, but that is one location where I might agree would taste better with a bit of alcohol. I would assume that most people would be served alcohol with their appetizers and/or dinner and the only possible time delay compared to a non-alcoholic meal would be is someone needed additional time to review the menu/order. But if it's the fairly limited choices that it appears, I don't expect that serving alcohol will add any significant time to the meal.

  19. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Have you dined at BB recently? I haven't, because it was consistently disappointing for the price. I am NOT a big drinker, but that is one location where I might agree would taste better with a bit of alcohol. I would assume that most people would be served alcohol with their appetizers and/or dinner and the only possible time delay compared to a non-alcoholic meal would be is someone needed additional time to review the menu/order. But if it's the fairly limited choices that it appears, I don't expect that serving alcohol will add any significant time to the meal.
    Its been a few years and the only time I would go was when my friend was visiting and we did a girls weekend at the parks. We only go for lunch for the Monte Cristo. Which last time there though it was all fine. Can't say the same for the 1/2 version my husband and I got at ATOD though. NEVER have I had one that was soaked with grease like that before or burnt. It was easy to hide it since it was the bottom of them. Yet I will say I wouldn't go some place that I thought I needed to have a drink to cover up the way the food tasted. It seems a waste of money and time. I will saw that at this point after what we got severed at ATOD I wouldn't go to BB for anything if I knew that was how it was going to end up. I know some will no matter what was being served to them just because its the BB.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  20. #19

    We haven't been to BB for a few years since the prices went beyond our comfort zone for food. Getting a table riverside was always our plan back in the day so we waited longer if that was necessary to make that happen. The last couple times we went it was part of a package for the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Mystic package during the Halloween party. Those seemed like a good spend to us since there was entertainment and reserve viewing included. Although I might be tempted to order an alcoholic beverage if it was available, that isn't a necessary for my dining pleasure and would probably be more $ than I'd want to spend.

    Edit: My wife says if we go back again she would order a drink just because we're at Disneyland and who cares if the drinks are $15. So I guess I'm just a tightwad LOL!

    Last edited by GrumpyGoofyGuy; 04-12-2021 at 07:24 AM.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •