Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DCA A Touch of Disney Food Fest

DCA A Touch of Disney Food Fest

Well here it is.

March 18th it begins, Thursdays to Mondays noon to 8pm at $75 a ticket. Ticket includes parking at Mickey and friends, unlimited photopass pics, and $25 dining card towards food and non-alcoholic drinks.

Goes on sale March 4. It will be a selection of iconic foods and drinks from both parks.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Well here it is.

March 18th it begins, Thursdays to Mondays noon to 8pm at $75 a ticket. Ticket includes parking at Mickey and friends, unlimited photopass pics, and $25 dining card towards food and non-alcoholic drinks.

Goes on sale March 4. It will be a selection of iconic foods and drinks from both parks.
    $75, yowch! I wonder how many tastes & sips that'll get you. Plus having to have that ticket to get *into* DCA if you want a Lamplight Lounge or Carthay Circle ressie... man...
    Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    $75, yowch! I wonder how many tastes & sips that'll get you. Plus having to have that ticket to get *into* DCA if you want a Lamplight Lounge or Carthay Circle ressie... man...
    It is a lot but then you are given $25 towards food and non-alcoholic drinks to use and free parking. Plus unlimited Photopass pictures for those that want them. So there is that. Yet it will for sure add up once in for many. Especially like you said if you want to get into Lamplight or Carthay. Which I know neither of those places has ever interested us. My husband is ok with it and suggested doing it around our 20th anniversary if we can get tickets. Its all up to me. I'm on the fence though right now still with this stuff. I have a week to decide though.

With the parking set up in Mickey and Friends, I'm curious how this will work though too. It obviously keeps you separate from the Downtown Disney folks in parking so will they have you walk the tram path or have a few trams to take people over and back to parking as needed or the long walk to and through DtD? If the tram path is used it does keep the ticket holders separate from adding to DtD folks and crowding it up.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    It is a lot but then you are given $25 towards food and non-alcoholic drinks to use and free parking.
    So, parking on March 13, the last day they were open, cost what, $20? Plus $25 towards food & drink. That's $45. They're charging us $30 to get in, for the privilege to hop and eat only? Yowch!

So let's say I buy a ticket and also make ressies at LL. I eat at the booths for lunch and LL for dinner. That's a whole lotta time I have to kill between meals, even if I go in ALL the stores.

With the parking set up in Mickey and Friends, I'm curious how this will work though too. It obviously keeps you separate from the Downtown Disney folks in parking so will they have you walk the tram path or have a few trams to take people over and back to parking as needed or the long walk to and through DtD? If the tram path is used it does keep the ticket holders separate from adding to DtD folks and crowding it up.
    Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how they end up doing this.
    Karin

In the description on the Disneyland website it says: "Guests will be able to access the experience via a dedicated walkway from the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure; the Disneyland Resort tram will not be in operation at this time."

I'd guess the walkway is probably the tram route, although it doesn't specify for certain.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

So, parking on March 13, the last day they were open, cost what, $20? Plus $25 towards food & drink. That's $45. They're charging us $30 to get in, for the privilege to hop and eat only? Yowch!

So let's say I buy a ticket and also make ressies at LL. I eat at the booths for lunch and LL for dinner. That's a whole lotta time I have to kill between meals, even if I go in ALL the stores.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see how they end up doing this.
    Yep and we know there will be those that will gladly pay for it all. Agree it will be a lot of time for some to kill if they decide to do it that way.

BTW, Knott's is $45/adult and $20/kids for a tasting card/ticket in. That gives you 5 tastings for the adults and 3 for the kids. So I wonder how far the $25 card will go with Disney's event and if it makes it worth it or not as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    In the description on the Disneyland website it says: "Guests will be able to access the experience via a dedicated walkway from the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure; the Disneyland Resort tram will not be in operation at this time."

I'd guess the walkway is probably the tram route, although it doesn't specify for certain.
    Good catch. I wouldn't think the tram would for just that since cost wise it wouldn't be best. So with a dedicated walkway from there it would make sense that it could be the tram route since it does keep the ticket holders out of DtD this way still. Which I wonder if they will block things off to a certain point where DtD meets the tram walkway towards the parks as well to keep it all separate still.

Based on the queue to get into DTD on the weekends, that seems to take up most of the Grand Cal self-parking lot, they may need most/all of the M&F tram route for queuing, with the security/health screening close to the entrance to DTD.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    So I wonder how far the $25 card will go with Disney's event and if it makes it worth it or not as well.
    I hope we know what the offerings will be and their individual costs before buying tickets. I'd hate to find out they're $8-10 each and you'll get 2-3 for $25. Will there be the option to buy more $25 tickets once inside, in case you want more to eat than your initial ticket buys? Hmmm...
    Karin

I hope we know what the offerings will be and their individual costs before buying tickets. I'd hate to find out they're $8-10 each and you'll get 2-3 for $25. Will there be the option to buy more $25 tickets once inside, in case you want more to eat than your initial ticket buys? Hmmm...
    It sounded like more info would be given before so I do hope so on this. I would think that if one can get reservations at Carthay or Lamplight for a meal that the option would be there to pay for more items after the $25 card is used. At least I would hope so. I agree that it would stink to find out it doesn't get you more than 2-3 items. If it is something that can be stretched out a wee bit more and after that I can pay for other food/drinks than that would be ok.

Something my husband and I were discussing about this also was how some are upset on the cost of this and how obviously Disney doesn't really do lower end with things BUT its also got to be worth doing it for them in the long run. They have 1000 cast members coming back to work, they will be using more power and food costs and so on. As well as how many people pay the high price for the Halloween events and other after hour ones? Those have been a higher price than this is. There are people that have gone to them to not get on a ride so its not much different in how those kind of people might do things. I know we have done date nights were we grabbed a meal, dessert and coffee. Then did nothing else but walked around the parks and shopped. So its not much different for us in that manner.

$50 (assuming you use the full $25) isn't even that bad considering what Disney charges for preview and after hours events. Or what they charge for a tray of Mickey rice krispies if you've ever had a meeting there.

They use the tram route walkway for CHOC Walk and overnight queues. I can see where they want to keep the ticket holders separate until they're in DCA. If they go through DTD, they limits capacity there, when most will just walk straight to DCA. The question is, will they allow access to DTD after you walk out of DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    The question is, will they allow access to DTD after you walk out of DCA?
    There's a lot of information about the event on the Disneyland website.

"Entrance to the Downtown Disney District (separate from the A Touch of Disney experience) is subject to capacity and Guests may need to join a queue."
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

$50 (assuming you use the full $25) isn't even that bad considering what Disney charges for preview and after hours events. Or what they charge for a tray of Mickey rice krispies if you've ever had a meeting there.

They use the tram route walkway for CHOC Walk and overnight queues. I can see where they want to keep the ticket holders separate until they're in DCA. If they go through DTD, they limits capacity there, when most will just walk straight to DCA. The question is, will they allow access to DTD after you walk out of DCA?
    Exactly! I have seen so many complaints on the cost of this but yet how many of those same people will pay more for the after hours events and previews? Heck some complaining have been (or plan to) take weekend trips down here just for DTD. The best was the one that said something about this being to costly but the next sentence was they were going to WDW instead for their "Disney fix". I think that was on the official blog comments. LOL Its really not all that terrible of a cost when compared to the other events they do. As well as, like I said, they have to make it worth it for them as well. I think many forget the cost side of it for the company between what is needed to put do this and pay the cast members they are bringing back.

I can imagine that if DTD is not already at max capacity they would probably allow people to go over there once they left DCA. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Its really not all that terrible of a cost when compared to the other events they do. As well as, like I said, they have to make it worth it for them as well. I think many forget the cost side of it for the company between what is needed to put do this and pay the cast members they are bringing back.
    So much of the viability of these food events depends on alcohol sales. If people are only going to spend their $25 credit, Disney might have to reduce the offerings.

Even if people shop, there is merchandise jb Downtown Disney and Stage 17 and Buena Vista have been open for shopping without the extras of this event, and may not be enough to sustain the event.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So based on comments above, my thoughts, and other study of the offerings, here's what I see as "not written"
    1) so if you go with a group or more than 1 person - the parking portion (as folks are adding in) doesnt apply more than once. So folks should stop including parking as part of the "value" across all tickets.
    2) i was wondering about the entry. It has not been mentioned but i wonder if Stage 17 will now be closed to DTD guests. If they offer a dedicated walkway to enter, and then plan to possibly have you wait in a queue for DtD from the event, how will that be blocked off in the esplanade? Folks entering from harbor Blvd to go to DTD will cross over the people coming from the tram location - will they offer a separate 'check' as part of leaving DCA to go to DTD? and if that check is there - how to know if someone came from Harbor or not.
    3) based on the separate walkway and possibly mixing the guests groups - I would think that before guests leave Mickey and Friends and walk they will get screened (temp, dog, bag) ands then enter the walkway. In this way there wouldnt be a problem with overlap. This is of course up in the air because they have not announced it - but I would think they wouldnt build an entire screening location close to the esplanade.
    4) I would expect that the sizing of items would be like it would at Food and Wine. Which is generally smaller than Knott's items. And I agree the pricing would probably be the same as F&W - 4 to 6 for desserts and smaller items, 6 to 8 for more entree-like tastes. with only 4 locations for dining (not counting LL or CC), 2 of which were already in use with limited menus, there wont be a TON of food items to try (again not counting LL or CC). so with $25 credit you more than likely would have to spend an additional 25 to make your day worth your while. the price makes you want to stay a lot longer so you either just hang out and check your phone or shop.
    5) I didn't see any announcement about re-entry. I doubt it will be available.
    6) on the merch - the only thing going for them is that they make park and land specific items available that are not in the DtD stores. Still - i wonder how sustainable that is given folks are not riding rides or having true theme park experiences.

It sure feels like Disney is really trying to get you as much of a full experience as possible but we know it wont be. Yet - the dollars are dictating the desired vision.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I think that no matter what Disney did here, there was no winning. So many comments I am seeing sound as if Disney should be giving them more for food money or giving something else free or it should be cheap.

Parking was included for events for years, it was part of the value. People can cry all they want about carpooling. If parking wasn't included they'd cry too. Disney can't win with people who want to quibble about value.

Blog Entries
    I think that no matter what Disney did here, there was no winning. So many comments I am seeing sound as if Disney should be giving them more for food money or giving something else free or it should be cheap.
    Parking was included for events for years, it was part of the value. People can cry all they want about carpooling. If parking wasn't included they'd cry too. Disney can't win with people who want to quibble about value.
    I agree on these.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I think Disney's in a hard spot. Knott's has learned a lot during their "Taste of...." events and with each learning curve came a price increase. So while people paid more each time, they also could justify the increase because each event was better than the last.

Disney has always positioned themselves as a premium theme park compared to Knott's, so it's not surprising to me that they wanted their event to be more expensive than the current Taste of Boysenberry. That event is $45 for adults, $20 for kids, and also includes complementary parking. If I recall, their first event was $30 for adults, $15 for kids. I don't mind paying it because I am confident that I will enjoy the event. One of our friends recommended that we bring empty food containers for leftovers, and I was glad that we did for the last event that we attended. I expect to need them again if/when we next go.

I have a harder time justifying what is, essentially, a $50 cover charge to walk around California Adventure to have the opportunity to take photopass photos (presumably after waiting in socially distanced lines) and spend another $25 on food/beverages. Especially since my kids aren't big photo people and I have recently walked through Buena Vista Street for "only" the $10 parking/cover charge. I like Disney, I miss Disney, and maybe if it was Main Street USA instead it would be easier for me to justify. Which doesn't mean that I won't go, but I won't go on opening weekend, and I probably will grumble a bit before I hand over my cash.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm not recalling all the names of all the permanent counter-service/ODV spots that were there pre-closure, but I am not able to discern which are Marketplace booths being set up just for Taste of Disney.

Will the $25 credit be able to be used at ANY spot serving food for ANY item, excluding alcohol? I tried to find that in the release and don't see it spelled out as such. I guess I was assuming the $25 credit was only going to be accepted at the booths, but all the other places would be open/available for separate purchase. Perhaps that was wrong and this is a case of what happens when one assumes?
    Karin

I've received food vouchers in the past, and they were good at any food location, even when the event suggested that they would only be valid at the quick-service. The food vouchers that I've used in the past have all been single-use vouchers though, so I'm not sure how this will work since it is a larger amount that someone would presumably want to spend over multiple locations.

Maybe I'm not recalling all the names of all the permanent counter-service/ODV spots that were there pre-closure, but I am not able to discern which are Marketplace booths being set up just for Taste of Disney.

Will the $25 credit be able to be used at ANY spot serving food for ANY item, excluding alcohol? I tried to find that in the release and don't see it spelled out as such. I guess I was assuming the $25 credit was only going to be accepted at the booths, but all the other places would be open/available for separate purchase. Perhaps that was wrong and this is a case of what happens when one assumes?
    I think there is a few things missing to answer questions. I was hoping to find some prices but I am not seeing anything at this point either any place....unless I am missing it. And all I see about the $25 card is "The A Touch of Disney Dining Card can only be used at select participating food locations at Disneyland Resort in California. The A Touch of Disney Dining Card may not be used for the purchase of alcohol." and "Check with individual locations for program participation before redemption." Not very helpful with that limited info.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I've received food vouchers in the past, and they were good at any food location, even when the event suggested that they would only be valid at the quick-service. The food vouchers that I've used in the past have all been single-use vouchers though, so I'm not sure how this will work since it is a larger amount that someone would presumably want to spend over multiple locations.
    It was said that you can add it to the app for mobile order. Since its a gift card I would imagine its usable at more than one location.

Blog Entries

If you go to Disneyland.com/atouchofdisney they have some of the booth descriptions already (the comprehensive guide is not up yet). Scroll all the way down to Open Air Marketplaces and click the link.

The link for Participating Dining is misleading since it shows some locations as closed (cocina and snowman) but they will be open during the event.

If you click the link for Mobile Order on that page (near Marketplaces) the pop up info says you can use your Touch of Disney cars in mobile ordering. This makes me think it will have a code. Why this was not part of F&W I have no idea.

I assume as you get closer to the event we will see more details.

So I have to ask -whose going? I'm on the fence but may go the second session. I'm just wondering if the price will go up (and yes it will).

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk