Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: DCA A Touch of Disney Food Fest

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Thanks for all your help, tea!
    You're very welcome!

2. # ADS

So we went yesterday and had DS19 with us. Then today we went alone. Here are some of the good and bad from this.

Arrived both days after 2pm/3pm so it was a breeze to get in at the gate. The walk though was a nightmare to begin with but toss in the heat yesterday. UGH A lady leaving, as we were on the way to the park, was looking like she was going to pass out by the escalators. Parking was not easy to find. We were able to snag a spot closer today compared to yesterday.

There is NO social distancing happening. Its impossible because even in a line to get food or sitting to eat there are people walking right by you. Some areas there is no distancing markers so we would do our best to keep space but many were not and only place we say a CM say anything was at Bing Bong's yesterday. No distancing in stores either and in some it seemed like the typical amount you normally see. So those that have issues in this area probably would be miserable. I wasn't sure how it would make me feel since the places I've gone haven't been this crowded but was fine since it was easy to keep moving and get away from larger spots of people. Not much cleaning going on that we saw during our time there on Thursday but did see a bit of it today going on. The table we found on Thursday was a little dirty (not as bad as ones we have seen in the past thankfully) but was much better today.

This is something Karin said already but the seating was TERRIBLE. We saw so same many camped out and the walk to get from Award Wieners back to find a place to sit all the way back by the Bakery Tour building was insane. There was people playing cards, sitting with their ipads, and so on doing nothing but that stuff taking up the tables. Lots sitting on the ground where they could find a shady spot. We had a family sit a bit away from us on the ground so we gave them the 2 extra chairs to sit on where they were since we didn't need them. It wasn't easy to find a place Thursday but it was easier today but did have to wait for one to open while waiting for our mobile order for our skewers and no issues finding one later by Smokejumper's.

The food...well yesterday was corn dogs, a cheese stick, pretezels, Ghirardelli's and the beef and chicken skewers. Both DH and DS said the hot dogs are not the same being used as before so tasted off and they were beyond overly greasy as well. The cheese stick, well the cheese was not even cooked. Usually that is gooey and melted but not even close to that. The outside wasn't greasy like the corn dogs though. Skewers-got one of each. I don't care for beef like that but it was for DH to try and he said one was great and cooked perfect but the other was undercooked and sauce not that good. Chicken was great. This took the whole mobile order time to get the skewers and the line at Award Wieners was insane and slow. Pretzels were fine of course and quickest thing we got. Ghiradelli's though DH had a problem when the CM decided to take the girl that walked in a few minutes after him and do her order first. DH said something about it too since he had been standing there and seen by the CM. Today with food, we got the skewers again minus the one DH didn't like and an extra chicken for him to try this time. All went well there and a little wait but easier to get in and get the food this time (yesterday was over 30 minute wait to get the notice order was done then a wait to get it). Smokejumper's was not even a long one either. It popped up as we were walking over there that the food was done. We got lucky in no wait here unlike how it looked yesterday walking by at the same time of day and found a place to eat here easily. So brisket mac n cheese was good (had a bite of it) and DH said he could have had more of it but we had both also ordered our own 1/3 monte cristo. Which NEVER have I had a monte cristo that I was bad until now. This was just gross and so disappointing. It was a ball of so much grease that I could squeeze it out of the dough and yes I did squeeze some of it with my fingers and it made a little puddle of grease. Toss in the doughy parts in a couple of them. Then a few burnt spots. I ended up pulling the meat from it to eat that part of it. I was able to eat some of the breading on the 1st half but the 2nd one just 1 bite and it was nothing but grease. It was worse. Grabbed some churros on the way out both nights to bring home and some cookies and marshmallow wands from Bing Bong's yesterday. Which the treats and churros were great.

Masks compliance was pretty good. Today was better than yesterday as we saw some people walking around eating/drinking. Some right past CMs that said nothing. Then on the way back to the car tonight, a CM was joking with a couple guests about the kid not having his mask on and they just told him how he could look the other way and pretend he never saw them. Yet there are lots of people around at the time. SMH Walked around them quickly to get away from that and the grouping of people that was around us in the moment.

We did see Goofy and Max "fishing" over by the wharf, Donald was near the Redwood Creek Trail area in the trees with his binoculars (glad to see he was allowed to not be so social distanced ), Pluto was on the Carthay balcony, and Mickey and Minnie took turns over by the Little Mermaid ride on the ramp for the line that goes up and is out in the sun. And we saw 1 Disney cat around GRR.

Oh and with the Smokejumper's I had actually decided to mobile order our meal from home because of the times left for it was on the later end. I was able to use what was left on one of the gift cards from yesterday with it.

We had fun being there and enjoyed some of the food at least. Yet I wasn't a fan of mobile order before this and am still not a fan of it after having to deal with it now. It was more of a nightmare than anything. More so since you never know which place was going to be backed up or quick. Then toss in all the people that stand around close by the line area waiting for their order to be ready when its backed up like some places were. I did notice as well that mobile order was not giving the legacy discount right at times. I noticed it tonight with our Smokejumper's order that our drinks for a cent different. It wasn't much but thought it was odd that everything else was the same when it came to 2 of an item order but that one and a couple others were off a cent. I will say that the couple places we bought stuff when shopping they just needed to see my husband's legacy ap info on my phone. I have not seen it come up still for mine or my kids. I contacted and filled out the form only to get another CM telling me I have to start all over again or call. I was glad we didn't have to pull out his AP and ID though during those times.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

That was pretty much my experience at DTD midweek. No social distancing, poor mask compliance and CMs looked the other way. Very few people wore a mask between the parking lot and the temperature check, and walked by multiple CMs unchallenged. I consider the $10 I spent on parking just to turn around and leave a lesson learned. I've noticed a lack of distancing on many influencer videos too. They'll even say how great Disney is about distancing while people are bumping each other in walkways behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    That was pretty much my experience at DTD midweek. No social distancing, poor mask compliance and CMs looked the other way. Very few people wore a mask between the parking lot and the temperature check, and walked by multiple CMs unchallenged. I consider the $10 I spent on parking just to turn around and leave a lesson learned. I've noticed a lack of distancing on many influencer videos too. They'll even say how great Disney is about distancing while people are bumping each other in walkways behind them.
    Thursday there was a really long line from those coming from TOD to get into DTD. Yesterday there was no line to go into DTD and we started to just to go over to WOD but saw the giant line there and turned back around. It did look super packed just right there. Can't image what it looked like going further in. It was no different then what we would see before covid. We kept our masks on until we got in the car but there was people that weren't once in the parking garage. It figures on the "influencers", they will say whatever in hopes of getting something free from Disney (or whatever other company they are kissing up to) even though you can see the opposite in their videos. We looked at all of what we experienced and don't see it as a good sign of Disney being ready to reopen as a full theme park. My husband commented that it seemed like many CMs didn't seem like they wanted to be there with how they were talking to not just us but others around us. Thursday was way worse in this area than Friday for sure and was strange. It is concerning if CMs though are already either straight up looking the other way or joking about guidelines being followed.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

these are some interesting points from BP and AJ. It seems to me that for DtD they are following the guidelines for retail in the orange tier for each store - but the common areas might not be able to handle the same capacity without breaking social distancing guidelines. It does seem through the last few months that any guideline (from the state or from retailers) were all about folks standing around in a confined space. So - without stating it - they are also implying that outdoors with movement may not require the same level of controls since allegedly you are safer as you are moving. Its not a great argument since there are many spaces in DtD (and by extension in theme parks) where folks bottleneck due to space limitation and randomness of people gathering for a specific service or purchase. it will take a significantly better job for CMs to manage as the parks open. In the description above I wonder since ATOD was not really a theme park opening but a private food and shopping event they were able to treat it like retail - so the feeling is a less restrictive control environment compared to theme parks.

One of my concerns for this in the parks is queues in the public space. Places like Adventureland, Fantasyland, and NOS switchbacks would create significant areas of concerns around the amount of people outside as you are walking past. It may not be as bad as is in my mind because total capacity would be smaller - but if as discussed on MP today that some stores or locations are closed to discourage crowding in small space - that creates more lines at other locations - and then trying to walk past that would be "interesting". Dole whip line anyone?

I wonder if Disneyland mgmt is really concerned about this or do they believe once the parks open the floodgates are also open and there wouldn't be a way for California to shut them down again should another surge come. It will be imperative for CMs and leadership at the parks to be diligent with their efforts to maintain cleaning and social distancing controls as they did when DtD first opened.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Hopefully something like Dole Whip can be handled with mobile ordering, selling from multiple locations and short-ish outdoor lines. The good thing about food lines is that unlike A Touch Of Disney there will be a lot more open than just food, so hopefully mobile order will work better and lines will be shorter.

Some switchbacks can be redirected, like the new Small World queue could skip lanes. Others like Pinocchio and Peter Pan are fixed once you're inside the building. Maybe they could load Peter Pan from the front and back at the same time. Even if they do a virtual queue I don't see how that ride isn't a bottleneck. And if every queue is virtual, where will everyone wait? Disneyland walkways aren't that wide.

I think that Disney has gotten away with self-policing in Florida because local government isn't really watching. And the people who are flying to Florida for a Disney World vacation tend to be the kind of fans who are going to talk up how safe and regimented everything is. But in California they will have the state and made the county making rules. They may think that they can put some tape down and if the guests don't adhere, oh well, the state won't shut things down. They could be right. I don't think the people who will get tickets when they reopen will care all that much about a lack of social distancing and neither will Disney.

Hopefully something like Dole Whip can be handled with mobile ordering, selling from multiple locations and short-ish outdoor lines. The good thing about food lines is that unlike A Touch Of Disney there will be a lot more open than just food, so hopefully mobile order will work better and lines will be shorter.

Some switchbacks can be redirected, like the new Small World queue could skip lanes. Others like Pinocchio and Peter Pan are fixed once you're inside the building. Maybe they could load Peter Pan from the front and back at the same time. Even if they do a virtual queue I don't see how that ride isn't a bottleneck. And if every queue is virtual, where will everyone wait? Disneyland walkways aren't that wide.

I think that Disney has gotten away with self-policing in Florida because local government isn't really watching. And the people who are flying to Florida for a Disney World vacation tend to be the kind of fans who are going to talk up how safe and regimented everything is. But in California they will have the state and made the county making rules. They may think that they can put some tape down and if the guests don't adhere, oh well, the state won't shut things down. They could be right. I don't think the people who will get tickets when they reopen will care all that much about a lack of social distancing and neither will Disney.
    With mobile order, I think its terrible to make it the only option given. There is no reason they can't offer walk ups IMO. If I can go up and back with cash or my card in a shop or cart I should be able to do so to get my meal. Its something that bugged me at ATOD. Now one of the big issues I saw besides back up at ATOD, was that people would wait around the area. They weren't distancing and toss in they were standing right by where the line markers were for the food line if it got that far out. Yet the CM that was right there said nothing and obviously didn't care. He wasn't exactly friendly when I had gone up there. With Dole Whip, I can see this going on and blocking the path in and out of Adventureland unless CMs stay on those people and tell them to literally come back when their order is ready. Otherwise, I agree that with something like this that does get the line wait for it (and especially with the warmer days) that they need to serve this in more than one location across the park. I think this was part of ATOD's problem as well. Knott's had learned after the first one how they needed to do their food options in more than one location to spread people out. I don't think Disney cares though.

I'm with you on the virtual queue not being an option. Its just going to leave people hanging in the walkways and around the rides waiting. They won't be doing anything else. With lines for most rides they will just have less switchbacks so people are not that close to each other...at least hopefully. Also with capacity lower, it should be a little bit of help. Doesn't mean the walkways will be social distanced because we all know its not going to happen even if the space is there. Yet Disneyland doesn't have much space for it to begin with.

I will say that I don't think that Orange County here cares at all about the whole COVID guidelines but state is another story of course. We all know that there are plenty that will turn the blind eye to issues in the parks and claim things are as safe as can be. You see it a lot with WDW trip reports. I will say I've seen many that will be honest though about things that are bad and some that admit they weren't looking for whatever so they just didn't notice. Some issues there has been not enough open to take the heat off areas of the parks that do get the crowded feeling. I can see that being part of the problems here as well if not everything is open for shops, food and the rides they can open (which I think is more than they can't). I think though what is concerning at this point is the what you saw with DTD recently and some of what we experienced in ATOD. I do think Disney will do the best they can to make sure things look great the day the media is around but after that who knows what will happen from day to day.

Blog Entries

According to the MP WDW update today it was stated that Disney is holding actual capacity well below what is allowed by the state of Florida - and it still looks really crowded in places like SWGE (crowded being relative - not holiday crowded but covid crowded).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

WDW announced today that starting April 8th guests will be able to remove masks for outdoor photos. You have to be standing still in order to take it and have physical distancing. IDK how CMs will monitor and control that...

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    According to the MP WDW update today it was stated that Disney is holding actual capacity well below what is allowed by the state of Florida - and it still looks really crowded in places like SWGE (crowded being relative - not holiday crowded but covid crowded).
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    WDW announced today that starting April 8th guests will be able to remove masks for outdoor photos. You have to be standing still in order to take it and have physical distancing. IDK how CMs will monitor and control that...
    Last year in Oct. before they had official said they had raised capacity to 35% people were noticing a difference and questioning things about capacity. Then I think it was a month or almost a month later it was announced Disney had raised it. Holidays came and it was pretty packed from how it sounded. It looked like it got quiet again after for a bit and of course Spring break has come and its been pretty packed again. Toss in that with so much not open to spread the crowds around it doesn't help at all. I've seen some say that it looks like it did in the past when they have gone at this time of year. In areas like SWGE it is crowded when so many decide to go in that space at one time. Toss in the lines that are distanced and outside in spots as well don't help with how it looks. I think that Disney will be upping capacity in WDW though over the months. Remember they don't have all their hotels open either. They just opened another one recently and have them spread out a bit in reopening. With their Magic Kingdom anniversary coming up I wouldn't be surprised if capacity is close to 50% of normal there or more.

BTW, a bit ago there was a news story that way about the cast members and the abuse that has gone on towards them over trying to get guests to follow guidelines. We know many have taken abuse before covid so no surprise with this sadly.

I know people claim it works well in Universal but yes we shall see how this goes in WDW. There is already issues with guests keeping the masks on in lines and walking around still eating/drinking. I've seen many say they either CMs say nothing or when they do the guests ignore them and keep going. Some were doing it anyway and not listening or finding the right spot to eat at and snapping a few quick ones seated that way. I guess if it doesn't work well in guests listening they can always take it back if they want or just do like they have and ignore things.