Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Celebrating a Walt Disney World Christmas Year-Round

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Celebrating a Walt Disney World Christmas Year-Round

Celebrating a Walt Disney World Christmas Year-Round by Jim Korkis

Jim shows us how you can get into the spirit of the season anytime at the resort.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Another nice historical backstory!

I have to admit, I originally found the concept for Winter Summerland quite odd. But both are fun courses, and when I took my mom down for a brief visit last year to see the holiday decor, she very much enjoyed playing the snow course right before Christmas! It was really fun to play on a winter themed course during the Holiday season.

I still in general prefer Fantasia Gardens and Fairways (it helps that' its a do-able walk from either EPC or DHS also), but now that I've done WS a few times, I'm a fan!

Regarding year-long Christmas shops, isn't there also one in the Germany area of World Showcase (though maybe it's not open right now?)? I'm thinking of a store that is to the left as you walk down the center towards Biergarten. Pretty sure that's always there with nice glass ornaments, Nutcrackers, etc. Maybe that's a section of a larger shop that is just it's own little section? With some google-ing, I found it may be called "die Weihnachts Ecke" on the sign above the door. (though on the WDW site, I could not find it, hence my guessing maybe it's not open during phased reopening)

Merry Christmas!

-Dave

You are correct, sir

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Another nice historical backstory!

I have to admit, I originally found the concept for Winter Summerland quite odd. But both are fun courses, and when I took my mom down for a brief visit last year to see the holiday decor, she very much enjoyed playing the snow course right before Christmas! It was really fun to play on a winter themed course during the Holiday season.

I still in general prefer Fantasia Gardens and Fairways (it helps that' its a do-able walk from either EPC or DHS also), but now that I've done WS a few times, I'm a fan!

Regarding year-long Christmas shops, isn't there also one in the Germany area of World Showcase (though maybe it's not open right now?)? I'm thinking of a store that is to the left as you walk down the center towards Biergarten. Pretty sure that's always there with nice glass ornaments, Nutcrackers, etc. Maybe that's a section of a larger shop that is just it's own little section? With some google-ing, I found it may be called "die Weihnachts Ecke" on the sign above the door. (though on the WDW site, I could not find it, hence my guessing maybe it's not open during phased reopening)

Merry Christmas!
    You are absolutely right that I should have mentioned that shop in Germany. But you are also right that even though it is a separate shop it is part of a much larger concept. Originally it was supposed to be a house in Germany. You started in the basement in the wine cellar and then moved up to the kitchen, then into the living room where Christmas is being celebrated which was a German tradition (and it was where I first learned the tradition of the pickle ornament) and then into the attic where the artist was (the Hummel shop) where even the floor boards would squeak because it was the attic.

Thanks for adding to my article! Like you I was hesitant about WS but came to really like it. You are right that it is "out of the way". It was supposed to be part of a wider concept.....instead of Coronado Springs, it was going to be the Alpine Resort with a ski lift taking guests to WS and Blizzard Beach.