Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Favorite restaurants in Epcot

Favorite restaurants in Epcot

We are doing things a little differently this upcoming visit in December. We rarely eat inside the parks but decided to change things up a bit this visit. What are some of everyones favorite places to eat in Epcot for a full meal, quick serve or table service, and why?

2. # ADS

This will get long . I'll come up with some general suggestions later. If I start now this will go way past lunch.

Do you value "the show" of restaurants (Coral Reef you basically are looking into the aquarium - is that a "cool" or a "don't care"?), or just looking for best food? Almost every restaurant is at least "good", many are more than that.

Any particular favorites or things the group does not like in general? (i.e, loves Italian, Steak Houses, Japanese, etc (or dislikes of same or other)). As a single example, most people who like Steak would love Le Cellier, but obviously it's not a "go to" if your group has vegetarians/vegan that we are also trying to satisfy at the same meal.

Also, there may be food booths around the park (I know they cancelled Candlelight, but not sure about the food booths?). Those can easily end up being nice varied experiences for eating at least lunch. Heck, I could probably just eat at food booths at Epcot during some of the festivals if I wasn't intent on sitting down for a nice meal on a given trip.

-Dave

Great points. We have eaten at Chefs de France and the pizza place in Italy which we enjoyed.

Not big on buffet or family style places. Though with the current health situation, know that buffets are out.

Show is valued, but food more so. I have always wondered about Coral Reef so thoughts on that would be helpful.

Also not interested in food booths this visit. Want to have a full meal at one place each time we visit the park. We do enjoy eating at the food booths during the festivals though.

We are adventurous eaters with no food allergies or dietary restrictions.

I'll give you my favorite table service places by park -

MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, for that incredible pot roast and the amazing Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake.

Epcot - I've always been a big Coral Reef fan, both for the atmosphere and for the food. Some people rate the food pretty low, but I almost always have a great meal there, sitting right by the glass and staring out into the big ol' blue.

Studios - Brown Derby is very elegant, and usually is a good meal.

DAK - I've had 3 meals at Tiffins, and never even a hint of so-so food and service. A really outstanding restaurant!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'll give you my favorite table service places by park -

MK - Liberty Tree Tavern, for that incredible pot roast and the amazing Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake.

Epcot - I've always been a big Coral Reef fan, both for the atmosphere and for the food. Some people rate the food pretty low, but I almost always have a great meal there, sitting right by the glass and staring out into the big ol' blue.

Studios - Brown Derby is very elegant, and usually is a good meal.

DAK - I've had 3 meals at Tiffins, and never even a hint of so-so food and service. A really outstanding restaurant!
    Thanks for your suggestions Dan. The only one of your choices that I have tried is the Brown Derby but that is close to probably 20 years ago.

I'll agree with Dan on Coral Reef. I've liked all of my meals there (been there 3 times, IIRC). Of course with distancing and other experiences that may not be offered right now, it may be a little different (the room is big, but not huge, so while normally probably 2/3 of the room has a decent view, there may not be as many good seats with a bunch of empties). Also, one of the neat things to see (normally) is you can see people in the tank who are doing the diving experiences offered. I imagine those are not taking place right now. But it's cool even if it is "just" the wild life .

It occurred to me that a lot of restaurants around WDW are closed, and it seems dynamic now in terms of re-opening. Looking at a bunch on the WDW site, some are "temporarily unavailable", meaning they did not re-open. So that could evolve as you get closer to December. Impossible to guess, really. But if they take a reservation, there is a fair bet they intend to be open, I would hope. One such place that seems to be closed is Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco. I ate there once, liked the food. The Belly Dancers were entertaining also. But looks like that place is out for now.

Other EPCOT sit down likes from me: Le Cellier, as previously mentioned. It's definitely good, though some people think it's over-rated and prefer some of the other Steak Houses around the area, Like Yachtsman (showing as unavailable right now) at the Yacht Club and one over at the Dolphin (Shula's). Rose and Crown is good, can't believe Dan didn't mention that! Tepan Edo (Japanese Hibachi show) is out I think due to distancing (though it does show as taking reservations on the web site?). In normal times it's big tables and you sit with people you don't know. I have no idea how they would modify that with distancing? (Maybe one party at each end of the table instead of all around?)

Quick/Counter serves, I like Katsura Grill in Japan. Though I don't know how good it can be for distancing, it's pretty small inside, and the outdoor garden area that is really nice to sit is possibly also not the best in that regard. I like the traditional quick serve breakfast offerings available at Sunshine Seasons in The Land.

Are you also open to close by restaurants at Beach/Yacht, or Boardwalk? There are some good ones in those resorts not too far from the back door of Epcot. If you can get it, Beaches and Cream is good for a sandwich/burger and a required ice cream sundae. unfortunately some of the others are showing as "not available" right now... (I was going to mention Big River Grille for a decent burger or Flying Fish for a good sit down, both at Boardwalk - but each is in the "unavailable" club right now)

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'll agree with Dan on Coral Reef. I've liked all of my meals there (been there 3 times, IIRC). Of course with distancing and other experiences that may not be offered right now, it may be a little different (the room is big, but not huge, so while normally probably 2/3 of the room has a decent view, there may not be as many good seats with a bunch of empties). Also, one of the neat things to see (normally) is you can see people in the tank who are doing the diving experiences offered. I imagine those are not taking place right now. But it's cool even if it is "just" the wild life .

It occurred to me that a lot of restaurants around WDW are closed, and it seems dynamic now in terms of re-opening. Looking at a bunch on the WDW site, some are "temporarily unavailable", meaning they did not re-open. So that could evolve as you get closer to December. Impossible to guess, really. But if they take a reservation, there is a fair bet they intend to be open, I would hope. One such place that seems to be closed is Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco. I ate there once, liked the food. The Belly Dancers were entertaining also. But looks like that place is out for now.

Other EPCOT sit down likes from me: Le Cellier, as previously mentioned. It's definitely good, though some people think it's over-rated and prefer some of the other Steak Houses around the area, Like Yachtsman (showing as unavailable right now) at the Yacht Club and one over at the Dolphin (Shula's). Rose and Crown is good, can't believe Dan didn't mention that! Tepan Edo (Japanese Hibachi show) is out I think due to distancing (though it does show as taking reservations on the web site?). In normal times it's big tables and you sit with people you don't know. I have no idea how they would modify that with distancing? (Maybe one party at each end of the table instead of all around?)

Quick/Counter serves, I like Katsura Grill in Japan. Though I don't know how good it can be for distancing, it's pretty small inside, and the outdoor garden area that is really nice to sit is possibly also not the best in that regard. I like the traditional quick serve breakfast offerings available at Sunshine Seasons in The Land.

Are you also open to close by restaurants at Beach/Yacht, or Boardwalk? There are some good ones in those resorts not too far from the back door of Epcot. If you can get it, Beaches and Cream is good for a sandwich/burger and a required ice cream sundae. unfortunately some of the others are showing as "not available" right now... (I was going to mention Big River Grille for a decent burger or Flying Fish for a good sit down, both at Boardwalk - but each is in the "unavailable" club right now)
    Dave - thanks so much for your detailed response. You certainly have given some great information that my group can use in making a decision. Besides having one reservation at Ale and Compass, we wont be eating over at the Epcot resort area as we just stayed there in September.

Rose and Crown is good, can't believe Dan didn't mention that!
    I've had many a nice lunch out on the balcony. But I've never had dinner in the dining room. Quaffed quite a few martinis, though . . . . .
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    We are doing things a little differently this upcoming visit in December. We rarely eat inside the parks but decided to change things up a bit this visit. What are some of everyone’s favorite places to eat in Epcot for a full meal, quick serve or table service, and why?
    So seeing your countdown thread this week, it occurred to me this is the trip we were talking about.

Did you end up successfully arranging some ADRs, or will you and your group be winging it to see what you can get?
    -Dave

So seeing your countdown thread this week, it occurred to me this is the trip we were talking about.

Did you end up successfully arranging some ADRs, or will you and your group be winging it to see what you can get?
    Based on the recommendations we narrowed it down to Coral Reef or Rose and Crown. We thought we would play it by ear.

Either one is a winner!

Good luck, and enjoy! Hopefully walk-ups are not too hard to get right now.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    Based on the recommendations we narrowed it down to Coral Reef or Rose and Crown. We thought we would play it by ear.
    Between those two I'd definitely recommend the Coral Reef. The atmosphere is really unique, especially if you request a table down by the glass windows looking into the huge aquarium!
    - James Taylor

My daughter and I are fans of the San Angel Inn. You get a little bit of that Blue Bayou vibe by sitting next to the water where the boats for the Three Caballeros are floating by. My daughter really loves the chips there. LOL. Last time we told the waiter to keep them coming. The food has been above average each time we have eaten there. Definitely a nice way to get out of the sun if you go during the afternoon.

Blog Entries

Epcot, oh how I love you. We love quick service in Mexico and England and always find ourselves enjoying everything from Food & Wine, dinner is always in Japan. With our upcoming May trip and no dining plans, I need a character dining, and to set some plans. Enjoy!

Mikala