Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Wonderground gallery is no more.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderground gallery is no more.

It seems Disneyland management is now desperate for revenue. They have gutted the Wonderground gallery and created a Star Wars Galaxy's Edge trading outpost.

https://twitter.com/dlnt/status/1305...712223746?s=19

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Wow- that's horrible! I didn't buy as much from Wonderground as perhaps I should have to keep it in business, but it seemed that there was constantly customers in the store and usually someone at the cash register whenever I did go inside.

With so many other stores permanently closed (VOID, Rainforest Cafe, AMC Theaters, ESPN Zone), I feel like they could/should have found a different location for their trading outpost.

That said - any chance they have the metal Galaxy's Edge gift cards?

Well considering they are selling Galaxy Edge themed items as well now, does this surprise anyone? Only thing I'm surprised at is that it took them this long to do it and wasn't set up sooner. BTW, those are the worse size stores if they want people to be able to follow guidelines on social distancing.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Wow- that's horrible! I didn't buy as much from Wonderground as perhaps I should have to keep it in business, but it seemed that there was constantly customers in the store and usually someone at the cash register whenever I did go inside.

With so many other stores permanently closed (VOID, Rainforest Cafe, AMC Theaters, ESPN Zone), I feel like they could/should have found a different location for their trading outpost.

That said - any chance they have the metal Galaxy's Edge gift cards?
    I was thinking that too but then I also was thinking it might cost more than its worth to do so. If those buildings aren't cleared of whatever they would have to do that. Then if things are cleaned out from the inside of those places by now, they would need to make sure the a/c in them are all updated and get it set up as a shop. So it might have taken more time to deal with and more costly to do that then it did to just removed the gallery stuff and put it in there quickly. It seems they wanted the easiest and quickest way possible. It would be a simple switch back to the gallery if they want to when the parks can open.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I was thinking that too but then I also was thinking it might cost more than its worth to do so. If those buildings aren't cleared of whatever they would have to do that. Then if things are cleaned out from the inside of those places by now, they would need to make sure the a/c in them are all updated and get it set up as a shop. So it might have taken more time to deal with and more costly to do that then it did to just removed the gallery stuff and put it in there quickly. It seems they wanted the easiest and quickest way possible. It would be a simple switch back to the gallery if they want to when the parks can open.
    I completely agree - but they have used ESPN zone for some of the special ticketed merchandise events. I haven't read any reviews of those events so I don't know what area(s) they used. So depending on whether they intend to do more special events, that space may already be useable. Rainforest Cafe did have a "store" area, in addition to the dining area, that could allow them to use a portion of the space without using the entire restaurant. That space potentially could have allowed additional theming to Star Wars as you approached the merchandise area.

But I suppose none of that matters, as having converted the space they are unlikely to move it. It may not stay Star Wars, but I doubt it will revert to Wonderground Gallery.

I completely agree - but they have used ESPN zone for some of the special ticketed merchandise events. I haven't read any reviews of those events so I don't know what area(s) they used. So depending on whether they intend to do more special events, that space may already be useable. Rainforest Cafe did have a "store" area, in addition to the dining area, that could allow them to use a portion of the space without using the entire restaurant. That space potentially could have allowed additional theming to Star Wars as you approached the merchandise area.

But I suppose none of that matters, as having converted the space they are unlikely to move it. It may not stay Star Wars, but I doubt it will revert to Wonderground Gallery.
    ESPN Zone was used for the selfies/pictures thing with different "sets". So what was in there might still be in it and I have no clue myself as to how it was set up inside. I don't know if the buildings were empty or not in all those places (aside from ESPN Zone). I would think if AMC still had anything left in it from the concession stand that it would have been good to use as well and a bit more space inside. Simple fix of fake walls up to block off from going down halls they wouldn't need to if its not emptied out. Then again updating things like a/c and systems might be to costly in any of them. I wouldn't be surprised if this change was done because there may have been enough interest from guests wondering if WoD might carry anything with the parks closed. I am going to guess it might bring in more money than the gallery would at this time. Hopefully though when the parks can open they do change it out so the merchandise can stay in SWGE.

ESPN Zone was used for the selfies/pictures thing with different "sets". So what was in there might still be in it and I have no clue myself as to how it was set up inside.
    I was referring to a more recent event. It looks like the original Disney links are now taken down, but a good recap is here: https://wdwnt.com/2020/08/disneyland...iversary-pins/

I was referring to a more recent event. It looks like the original Disney links are now taken down, but a good recap is here: https://wdwnt.com/2020/08/disneyland...iversary-pins/
    I hadn't seen that. I don't deal with the pins so don't pay attention to that stuff or most other sites at this point either. So sounds like since it was pins it was easy enough to set a quick little thing up and deal with having reservations to view and buy the pins. So maybe it was left for future use as a pin release set up in that same manner. Which wouldn't be a bad thing either I guess. Yet as you said depending on how that was set up it could be why they just switched out the one location. Hopefully they will figure out ways though to use AMC and Rainforest's buildings at this point as well. Even if its little pop up shops to help spread things out more down there.

Blog Entries

they spaces they use for the limited shopping event are the ESPN Store and the lobby of the ESPN Zone. They have stations in each section with social distance measures (plexiglass barriers, lots of hand sanitizer, etc.) the store space itself would be too small to be the only place for what they did for the new Outpost. Though in the new space there isnt as much social distancing as you'd expect. I guess they would really limit the number of people in the store (but not as much as you think). This will be another location with a HUGE line that will require virtual queuing and leave a bunch of people mingling around DTD with no shade or places to go. And it will bump up against the Jazz Kitchen Express beignet line. To me Disney knew all too well that taking away Wonderground was going to be painful. I mean - they have a ragged tarp just hanging over the Wonderground sign and that small little sign on a barrel mentioning the outpost. There are still holes in the wales and some framing parts from light fixtures from the gallery. They rushed the closure so fast.

There have been a lot of posts on Twitter, etc., from those who claim to be CMs or know CMs that this is a temporary effort until the parks reopen. To me - i doubt it will go away. It will sell too much merch to be taken away. I just wish they picked another location. Demand for unique Disney-themed art has really taken off and as a some-time collector of fine art its a real sad moment for me. This kind of art is not really available in Disneyana or at Off The Page when the parks are open. Some tweets claimed that artists could get their new pieces manufactured (prints, postcards, etc) in a timely fashion to bring it to the store. Could be - but last I checked the store was well stocked and they could have any in person events anyway due to COVID restrictions.

But there is a ton of merch just sitting in Batuu - so I guess they had to take the easy way out to sell stock. With all the rumors of the Parks opening soon Im surprised this happened. Seems like it was done because the parks would not be open soon.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Perhaps a bit tangential to the original topic of this particular DTD store selling GE stuff, but I noted some GE items (specifically stated that it was from GE on the packaging) in my local Target here in Southeast PA last week. I think one or 2 of them were preassembled droids, which to me is sort of like "what's the point, if you don't build it yourself?". Though it's possible they were regular issue items, not the build experience from Droid Depot. (It's been almost a year since my only trip to GE at DHS where I spent some significant time in there, so I don't have the merchandise memorized like some folks might ). I didn't take a full inventory list, there were probably some other items, but I don't remember what specifically.

Point being it's not necessarily just this one store near DL that has been looked at by Disney as an alternate venue for selling GE stuff with DL still closed and DHS at reduced capacity (and a fair number of people just not being comfortable going, even though DHS has been open in it's reduced capacity for 2 months now... it's quite possible a lot might embrace seeing GE stuff and buy it off the shelf at Target).

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Perhaps a bit tangential to the original topic of this particular DTD store selling GE stuff, but I noted some GE items (specifically stated that it was from GE on the packaging) in my local Target here in Southeast PA last week. I think one or 2 of them were preassembled droids, which to me is sort of like "what's the point, if you don't build it yourself?". Though it's possible they were regular issue items, not the build experience from Droid Depot. (It's been almost a year since my only trip to GE at DHS where I spent some significant time in there, so I don't have the merchandise memorized like some folks might ). I didn't take a full inventory list, there were probably some other items, but I don't remember what specifically.

Point being it's not necessarily just this one store near DL that has been looked at by Disney as an alternate venue for selling GE stuff with DL still closed and DHS at reduced capacity (and a fair number of people just not being comfortable going, even though DHS has been open in it's reduced capacity for 2 months now... it's quite possible a lot might embrace seeing GE stuff and buy it off the shelf at Target).
    This has been pushed in emails from Target for a while now before it was released into stores. Most things that you could preorder were sold out fast and was pretty new I think to help push GE. I noticed they were adding more and more to the list of GE stuff that Target was selling. It didn't all look exactly the same as what I had seen in DL but obviously they are trying to make sure no one forgets about GE. Since Target has the Disney "shops" in stores its a way to spread this kind of merchandise out further. Its why I am surprised they didn't do a store for GE stuff or an area in the WoD shop earlier on.

Blog Entries
    This has been pushed in emails from Target for a while now before it was released into stores. Most things that you could preorder were sold out fast and was pretty new I think to help push GE. I noticed they were adding more and more to the list of GE stuff that Target was selling. It didn't all look exactly the same as what I had seen in DL but obviously they are trying to make sure no one forgets about GE. Since Target has the Disney "shops" in stores its a way to spread this kind of merchandise out further. Its why I am surprised they didn't do a store for GE stuff or an area in the WoD shop earlier on.
    None of the items at Target are available normally in SWGE. You build the target droids by adding stickers, or you mix and match parts with the mini droids. The lightsabers are "sort of" build your own. Mostly built from plastic with a couple of parts u can add. For the most part it was created to extend the idea of SWGE but none of the items are actually from SWGE.

The items at Wonderground are exactly what you would find at Dok Ondars or the shops in the marketplace. To me - it's not just about not forgetting about GE (besides could that really be a thing) but to keep revenue going.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    None of the items at Target are available normally in SWGE. You build the target droids by adding stickers, or you mix and match parts with the mini droids. The lightsabers are "sort of" build your own. Mostly built from plastic with a couple of parts u can add. For the most part it was created to extend the idea of SWGE but none of the items are actually from SWGE.

The items at Wonderground are exactly what you would find at Dok Ondars or the shops in the marketplace. To me - it's not just about not forgetting about GE (besides could that really be a thing) but to keep revenue going.

Yes I noticed that the ones in Target are not the same items. The plush they are selling have a different look to them. To me it was a reminder to people about GE and like you said keep revenue going. I figure the store in DtD would be items from inside GE. It would be a bit odd if it was the items at Target.

The Target stuff was a capsule collection made for Target. Just like the Missoni or the other designer ones they've done over the years. It had to have been planned before the parks closed.

Anybody know if they are accepting AP and Disney Visa discounts on the Legacy Lightsabers at this new outpost? There have been reports that Florida has recently done so. I know when Disneyland was open they didn't accept discounts on the Legacy hilts at Dok Ondars.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

OK. I stand corrected.

All of you who have been to GE many more times than I have been were all over this Target stuff, so I guess it's not stuff that was actually in the park. Maybe I misread the labeling on the box for the items I saw(or maybe Disney and Target are being a little loose with the claims something is something being "from Galaxy's Edge" vs. just "branded as Galaxy's Edge" ).

-Dave

It does seem that most of what I see says "Inspired by" in descriptions but I've also seen it things say "just landed". Which I zoomed in on one box on Target's site and it does say "Transported From Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Trading Outpost." So lots of play on words here to get the attention going for sure and make you think it came from GE.

Blog Entries

It's all the same - they want you to buy everything.. at as many places as possible.