Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Cast Member Moments

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Cast Member Moments

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Cast Member Moments by Chris Barry

Chris reminisces about the most magical moments he's experienced with Walt Disney World cast members.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Chris,

During the Year of a Million Dreams, we were in EPCOT for the day. One of our teenage sons was in Electric Umbrella, and a CM gave him one of the lanyards. The CM asked about his family, and he stated that he was here with his parents. Instead of moving on to another guest to bestow one of the coveted lanyards, that CM took it upon himself to find us, and give us lanyards as well! We were certainly never expecting anything, and we're blown away that he would take the time to find us to ensure we received lanyards as well. Just one of the many awesome CM interactions and experiences that we see on every single trip to WDW. It isn't always directed at us, but like you, we've seen many CM interactions with other guests that you know just made their day.

Keep the Top 5s coming! We really enjoy reading your articles.

Kevin

Chris, another great article. When were you there in 2003? My first trip to WDW was in late August of that year.
    I loved your last two interactions. Mary Poppins sounded awesome, and the Sorceror Mickey made me a little misty eyed.

Visit History: Disneyland: 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1996, & July 2016
    Walt Disney World: Aug 2003 & Aug 2008
    Tokyo Disneyland: May 90 & Feb 92
    Disneyland Paris: Nov 04

Check out my Mickey Mouse collection at Jerm's House Of Mouse

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post
    Chris,

During the Year of a Million Dreams, we were in EPCOT for the day. One of our teenage sons was in Electric Umbrella, and a CM gave him one of the lanyards. The CM asked about his family, and he stated that he was here with his parents. Instead of moving on to another guest to bestow one of the coveted lanyards, that CM took it upon himself to find us, and give us lanyards as well! We were certainly never expecting anything, and we're blown away that he would take the time to find us to ensure we received lanyards as well. Just one of the many awesome CM interactions and experiences that we see on every single trip to WDW. It isn't always directed at us, but like you, we've seen many CM interactions with other guests that you know just made their day.

Keep the Top 5s coming! We really enjoy reading your articles.

Kevin
    Thanks for the kind words Kevin!

We were walking out of the Judges Tent after meeting Mickey Mouse one day during the Year of a Million Dreams, when a cast member surprised us and gave us each Fast Pass lanyards for every ride in the park. She seemed as happy to give them to us as we were happy to receive them.That was a great day in the parks! Things like Space Mountain and Big Thunder which the kids were too little for - my wife and I got to ride multiple times in a row with the kid's FastPasses!!

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    Chris, another great article. When were you there in 2003? My first trip to WDW was in late August of that year.
    I loved your last two interactions. Mary Poppins sounded awesome, and the Sorceror Mickey made me a little misty eyed.
    Thanks jerm. We were definitely there in August of 2003. I don't think it was late though, but we typically did start going in late August after that for many years once we realized it was a little cheaper and the kids in the south were back in school.

Those are wonderful memories. The Sorcerer Mickey memory is so heartwarming.

It is hard to cut the list down to only 5 cast member memories since I could think of 5 moments daily on a trip. Here are my 5:

I read a nice Jim Korkis article about Auntie Kau’i shortly before a vacation to the Poly in 2018. Then on the 2018 vacation, I was roaming the Great Ceremonial House and there was Auntie sitting outside the gift shop working on a craft. I had a nice conversation with her. I am glad I met her prior to her passing earlier this year.

I had fun interactions over years with the Mayor of Main Street and have some nice photos with him. Since my personality emulates a prototypical mayor, my friends got kick of out those photos. On a circa 2016/2017 trip, for the first time in a few years, I spotted the mayor and I took time out of running to an attraction at rope drop to interact with him. It was fun as usual. Similar to my feelings about Auntie K, I am glad I had once last interaction with him because he passed away shortly after my trip.

I am always happy to see Disney employ mentally or physically disabled people. There was a mentally disabled cast member working at Roaring Fork doing mundane cleaning tasks. She was so friendly and upbeat at 6 AM, and gave me friendly advice to eat Mickey waffle with peanut butter. This was delicious advice.

When I entered my 30s, I discovered how fun it is to interact with the characters regardless of age. It is fun to play along in their world. I’ve had so many fun memories of character greetings and enjoy the characters reactions to our tshirts, hat, merchandise, or our banter. My favorite character meeting was at Garden Grill when we wore Chip and Dale hats. C&D were so excited and enthusiastic to see us. We had so much fun with them that night.

Halloween party at MK is yearly tradition for us. We always pick rare Disney characters as costumes and we love the reactions of the characters when they see our costumes. We were Chip and Dale for halloween one year. We went to the Halloween party at MK. Donald’s reaction to our costumes was hilarious as he was grumpy and pouting (since C&D terrorize Donald in the old film shorts). We then told Donald we are dressing like C&D so we can steal candy from C&D and then give it back Donald. Donald was jovial after that.