Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Goodbye Splash Mountain as we know it

Goodbye Splash Mountain as we know it

Any thoughts on the mountain changing themes?

I personally am really going to miss the ride as it is currently. It's just fun music and fun theme.

Most of the animals will probably be in there but doing dome different things.

This ride has been my kids favorite for years, they are all pretty sad about this.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

2. # ADS

There's a valid argument that many people who rode Splash Mountain have no idea what Disney movie its themed after. This announcement may ironically bring more attention to that film (I finally saw it myself a few years ago on a bootleg DVD and enjoyed it a lot. I've also since read up on its legacy and its detractors).

But acknowledging that Song of the South makes people uncomfortable (whether they've even seen it or not) and that it's also a film permanently (apparently) locked up for good in the Disney Vault, theming it after a Disney film that is freely available as well as embraced by Disney fans makes a whole lot of sense. And while I'll miss the Briar Patch characters, I'm confident the new Splash Mountain will be beautiful and entertaining.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

I am sure the ride will still be fun.

I have seen the movie too. I don't condone things that happened back then but it was a part of history and sometimes you can learn things from history.

The ride seemed pretty harmless as it was and didn't seem like it was offensive. But I guess what do I know.

This change doesn't bother me.

I have hated lots of changes I can remember at Disneyland. Changing the women in POC. Changing the Redhead in POC. Adding the Disney characters to Small World. Getting rid of Country Bears Jamboree and America Sings. I'm not even a fan of the Christmas overlays in Haunted Mansion or Small World.

This one does not bother me. I think it sorta fits. Beyond the obvious fact that there are no mountains in the bayou. There is an iconically southern feel to it. They can keep the riverboat at the end. Maybe even use some of the animatronics that are holdovers from American Sings.

I will however miss the quotes on the walls as you wait in line, glad I took photos of them on out trip to WDW.

Maybe it's because I did not "grow-up" with splash. It came after my idea of Disneyland had been imprinted in my head.

I have seen Song of the South. I saw it in 1986 when it was re-released. I also own a copy of the book it's based on.

I think the re-design will be nice. I really doubt the actual ride will change, it's really just set dressing and really it's not like anyone was coming to Disneyland to see their favorite ride - Song of the South come to life. No. I'm guessing there is a large swath of people who have no idea the movie even exists.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

High School here she comes!

Quote Originally Posted by june1st1997 View Post
    I'm guessing there is a large swath of people who have no idea the movie even exists.
    This. I feel like Disney has been trying over the years to add their own IP to "generic" rides such as adding Nemo to the Submarines. This just continues that and is effectively a change from an old Disney IP to something more current like they did when they re-themed the Swiss Family Treehouse to Tarzan's treehouse.

Once Disney said that "all" of the older movies were coming to Disney+, then later had to basically add and asterisk and say "except the Song of the South, please stop asking about it" it seemed like they would eventually have to do something about Splash Mountain.

on a side note

I was in Savannah Georgia last year and was just going in and out of a the shops along the river front. In one of them they were selling Song of The South DVDs. I guess one of the guys who helped make the movie had a master copy of it and had been making DVDs from it. It looked like a regular store bough DVD shrink wrapped and everything. It just didn't have a UPC bar code on the back.

I will say I did buy one........ I don't think I am racists though.

What a coincidence. I bought my copy of Uncle Remus (book Song of the South is based on) from a tiny used book store in Savannah GA when I was there for Christmas 2 years ago. I was really excited when I found it.

I don't think it makes either of us racist.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    This. I feel like Disney has been trying over the years to add their own IP to "generic" rides such as adding Nemo to the Submarines. This just continues that and is effectively a change from an old Disney IP to something more current like they did when they re-themed the Swiss Family Treehouse to Tarzan's treehouse.

Once Disney said that "all" of the older movies were coming to Disney+, then later had to basically add and asterisk and say "except the Song of the South, please stop asking about it" it seemed like they would eventually have to do something about Splash Mountain.

It's funny you should mention both Submarines and Swiss Family. I hated those remodels too. I hated them for the express reason you listed. I hated that Disney felt the need to change an original ride and make it an IP ride. It felt cheap in a way. I don't feel that way about Splash. I probably should - but I don't. I am thrilled they did not make it Moana ( which I saw speculated on Twitter). That would have felt cheap. It could also be the time. Right now real life is too uncertain to give too much energy to Disneyland. We won't be back til 2021. Maybe I will be full of outrage then.

Quote Originally Posted by june1st1997 View Post
    What a coincidence. I bought my copy of Uncle Remus (book Song of the South is based on) from a tiny used book store in Savannah GA when I was there for Christmas 2 years ago. I was really excited when I found it.

I don't think it makes either of us racist.
    I wonder what it says about Savannah though.... ha ha

I loved the place, we did a haunted tour too. Just a fun place.

So did we!!! I guess it's the thing to do! On December 24th we did a walking tour during the day with Robert Edgerly. Then that night we came back and did his haunted walking tour til almost midnight. We were the the last people walking around historic Savannah around 11pm on Christmas Eve. Best Christmas Eve I have ever had. No contest.

Did you use Robert Edgerly as well? He does the Savannah Hauntings Ghost tour. We loved him. DD who was 12 at the time got some pretty convincing photos of the paranormal.

We loved Savannah - I hope we will be able to go back at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    on a side note

I was in Savannah Georgia last year and was just going in and out of a the shops along the river front. In one of them they were selling Song of The South DVDs. I guess one of the guys who helped make the movie had a master copy of it and had been making DVDs from it. It looked like a regular store bough DVD shrink wrapped and everything. It just didn't have a UPC bar code on the back.

I will say I did buy one........ I don't think I am racists though.
    I'm so jealous! I saw it many years ago at a friend's house who had gotten it through questionable means, and the people I was there with kept TALKING OVER THE MOVIE AND ALL I WANTED WAS TO WATCH IT since I hadn't seen it before and likely wouldn't get another opportunity. I've never been one for seeking out illegal downloads, so I'll just have to hope that I run across it one day, haha. Maybe I'll have to go to Savannah, Georgia and seek out this shop when all the crazy is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I'm so jealous! I saw it many years ago at a friend's house who had gotten it through questionable means, and the people I was there with kept TALKING OVER THE MOVIE AND ALL I WANTED WAS TO WATCH IT since I hadn't seen it before and likely wouldn't get another opportunity. I've never been one for seeking out illegal downloads, so I'll just have to hope that I run across it one day, haha. Maybe I'll have to go to Savannah, Georgia and seek out this shop when all the crazy is over.
    So I just private messaged you with the phone Number on the disk. I tried calling it and he answered. Anyone else wanting the phone number to get one let me know and I will private message it to you.

Song of the South.jpg

I am interested in copy too, from what I understand bootleg DVD's have always gone up on ebay but I would rather cut out the middleman if possible.
    I actually remember seeing this in the theaters back in the 80's too

Yes I completely understand why they are making the change, especially given the current climate in the country but I will still miss Splash Mountain. Not mad, upset, angry, etc. It is what it is. Splash Mountain has always been a favorite ride of mine, I remember being in line for hours the summer it opened, and make it a point to go on almost every time I am at Disneyland, even by myself since no one else in my family likes drops. I am hoping that we get one last chance to ride it before they make the change, though I am not hopeful since we have no idea when the park is going to reopen. I would also like to get some Splash merch before it all sells out, I know it did on Shop Disney as soon as the announcement was made. Thankfully I have my two Funko Pop's which I will never part with (those shot up in value as soon as the announcement was made)
    (anyone have any 30th Anniversary merch from last year?, I missed it by a week last summer)

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    So I just private messaged you with the phone Number on the disk. I tried calling it and he answered. Anyone else wanting the phone number to get one let me know and I will private message it to you.

Song of the South.jpg
    Thank you!!! I tried to respond, but it says your storage space is full and you can't get messages, just FYI :-)

My problem with this is that it does leave out some of the Princess fan base for this kind of ride. Ones not tall enough or to scared of that drop will not be able to go on it. So there are many little ones that do and will love that movie and won't be able to go on the ride when they want. I also think the rethemeing of rides is a cheap way to go. I know we really like the Princess and the Frog and have watched it a ton over the years but I would have preferred to see Tiana get her own ride from the ground up.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    My problem with this is that it does leave out some of the Princess fan base for this kind of ride. Ones not tall enough or to scared of that drop will not be able to go on it. So there are many little ones that do and will love that movie and won't be able to go on the ride when they want. I also think the rethemeing of rides is a cheap way to go. I know we really like the Princess and the Frog and have watched it a ton over the years but I would have preferred to see Tiana get her own ride from the ground up.
    I too would prefer that it got its own new ride rather than a re-theme, but I think as far as the rest goes, the kiddos will grow into it. My 4yo wanted to ride as soon as she hit the height requirement and loves it now, despite the terror that it looks like she's in when the photo is taken, lol. I think like any roller coaster or "big kid" ride, it'll be a "wow, that'll be cool when you're big enough to ride!" sort of thing for the littles. And honestly the princess theme might help with any that have a fear of it even when they're big enough, because they'll want to see the princess stuff enough to overcome the "scary" aspect.

I too would prefer that it got its own new ride rather than a re-theme, but I think as far as the rest goes, the kiddos will grow into it. My 4yo wanted to ride as soon as she hit the height requirement and loves it now, despite the terror that it looks like she's in when the photo is taken, lol. I think like any roller coaster or "big kid" ride, it'll be a "wow, that'll be cool when you're big enough to ride!" sort of thing for the littles. And honestly the princess theme might help with any that have a fear of it even when they're big enough, because they'll want to see the princess stuff enough to overcome the "scary" aspect.
    I have experienced almost every kind of kid one could in this area. I've got one that I had to bribe to do coasters there, the middle one no fear in that kid and the youngest still hasn't gone on Splash, Space or Matterhorn in DL. She is 13 yrs old. I didn't go on Space, Thunder and Matterhorn though until I was a little older than her and it was on a 9th grade trip but there is a reason for why that is another story not for here. So I look at it all from a parent that has been through different versions of kids. I've always tried to get them to try the rides when young and where I knew their comfort level was. I've had ones that ended up not wanting to go on dark rides for a few years as well at one point....which is not an uncommon thing I had found out way back. Theme or no theme it will all vary by each kid though.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Theme or no theme it will all vary by each kid though.
    That is very true. I had a niece that was afraid of the line for Little Mermaid in WDW because it was dark in there, so you honestly never know what the "thing" will be. My youngest is only 18mo, so who knows how he'll be compared to older sister. There are also rides I'm terrified of as an adult (ahem, ferris wheels), so there's no pleasing everyone.

That is very true. I had a niece that was afraid of the line for Little Mermaid in WDW because it was dark in there, so you honestly never know what the "thing" will be. My youngest is only 18mo, so who knows how he'll be compared to older sister. There are also rides I'm terrified of as an adult (ahem, ferris wheels), so there's no pleasing everyone.
    Yes, I am not a fan of that either and I just don't like big drops. So if she ever wants to go on certain rides daddy and/or brothers will be doing those with her. BTW, they can change opinion on liking one ride at the drop of a hat too. My daughter rode Gadget over and over and over when she was little and loved it. Yet at some point one day she decided no more and it was scary. She is that kid you can not bribe to do anything at all no matter what. LOL She is just that one I had to give time to do each thing. Plus knowing how she is about loud sounds it was another thing tossed in the mix. Hopefully your son will be like big sister there.

I think that this is another thing that Disney has done to be politically correct. Another person pointed out P O C and all of the changes in there. Not to mention a lot of their movies but not all have that tone in it on trying to change your thinking. I don't agree with the timing of it at all. Long live song of the south, it will be missed.

J

Thank you!!! I tried to respond, but it says your storage space is full and you can't get messages, just FYI :-)
    I only have a few private messages. That is crazy.

Here is that number.

Call Classic Reels Home Video at 706-864-2229

If Disney wants to change the theme of the Splash Mountain then let them have at it. I kind of think that Disney folks always felt their log flume ride couldn't just be some kind of western logging theme due to the fact that Knott's already had such a ride in their park just down the street - obviously basing the attraction on the older Disney film Song of the South made sense from the standpoint of synergy to the prior Country Bear Jamboree attraction for their Critter Country area.

Personally would have liked to see them consider the original Western River Expedition attraction that had been considered back before they settled on Big Thunder Mountain - there a number of the scenes that have been discussed over the years from that design that could be fit into a log flume ride - but at the end of the day the theme of this particular attraction really plays second fiddle to the point of just having a ride that gets you watered down on a hot summer's day.