Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Should Disney Change Splash Mountain?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Should Disney Change Splash Mountain?

Should Disney Change Splash Mountain? by Jim Korkis

Jim looks at the history of the attraction, the film it is based on and would a theme change work?

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Disney does not want to be on the wrong side of history on this one. I’m sure they’re rejoicing that they canned Aunt Jemima’s Pancake House 40 years ago!

Excuse me, but time flies by. It was 50 years ago when Aunt Jemimas was changed to Magnolia Tree Terrace. Then, in 1971, it became River Belle Terrace.

IMO I wouldn't mind a ride for the Princess and the Frog because we do like the movie but at the same time people are forgetting that a ride like Splash leaves out very young ones. You can't transform a ride like Splash Mtn to a Princess themed ride that has a height requirement. You would leave out a lot of little kids not at the right height or that might be to scared of a drop like that. I do think a Princess and the Frog would make for a great ride but not re-theme on Splash Mtn for it. It needs to be done from the ground up and given its own spot. If Disney ever does do a rumored Fantasyland expansion and takes out the Fantasyland Theater it would be a nice spot to do a ride and even a Tiana themed food spot/restaurant would be fun to have.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Santa / Actor for hire
    MousePad Subscriber

I hope that it I not changed

Looking forward to setting up camp at Fort Wilderness Camp Grounds on April 27, 2020
    My Acting website
    My Santa website "It's not the look, it's what is in ones heart, that makes one a Santa"
    My Promotional Marketing website that's were my user name comes

No reason to change it.

As for the cost impacts suggested, and the Princess and the Frog being New Orleans based, the solution is obvious. Build The Princess and the Frog ride by re-theming Pirates of the Caribbean! (at least in Disneyland - since it's already in New Orleans Square). You only need to gut the internals of the ride, the exterior is good to go! Not sure what to do for the other parks, since there is no New Orleans Square in WDW.

(Just kidding on that last part . I'd not seriously suggest replacing Pirates. But I also see no obvious reason to change Splash Mountain, for all the reasons cited in the article)

-Dave

I would say from a marketing standpoint, changing the ride from a movie the company doesn't really want to promote to one they don't have an issue with advertising and selling makes some sense.

Or, instead of changing the ride, why not take B'rer Rabbit, B'rer Fox, B'rer Bear and the characters and environment shown in Splash Mountain and try to do something with them, maybe a Disney Channel or Disney+ series. If it's successful, it would do some good in making those characters stand on their own rather than totally be tied to a problematic movie for the company

I am big fan your articles and books Jim. I hope they leave Splash Mountain alone. This is my favorite attraction of all time and I will be crushed if Disney caves into this frivolous pressure. I enjoyed the Princess and the Frog movie and it maybe my favorite movie since the turn of the century but I do not like it enough to close an existing attraction to replace with this. I like imthewalrus79's idea of some kind of redo on Disney Channel or Disney+ similar to the recent Three Caballeros series on Disney+.

I'm sorry but Princess and the Frog is too forgettable of a movie. It's on par with Good Dinosaur. I've seen SOTS and it's not a great movie but it's got good music and the controversy around it seems unwarranted.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - GS, 1905

Yep saw it this morning. I saw someone comment this was in the works already since last year. I am not sure if that is true or not but either way I don't get why they don't come up with something new and build from the ground up instead for Princess Tiana.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"