Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Any other DisneyFoodBlog video fans out there?

Blog Entries

Cool Any other DisneyFoodBlog video fans out there?

It seems like AJ, the narrator of Disney For Blog videos comes out with 2 or 3 Youtube videos about Walt Disney World a week (please correct that if you have a more accurate number), and some videos receive over half a million views.

Here's a link to the most recent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqC6AU3qfg

I like her videos and have some positive & negative comments:

--AJ seems to write the text of each video that she delivers, and she seems to really own the content. I've heard smooth narrators of Youtube videos and books on CD who don't seem to care about or understand what they're reading. AJ, on the other hand, is a Disney park expert, and she is smarter than the average fellow Disney park enthusiast.

--AJ does not hesitate to criticize Disney for overpricing and inconsistent restaurants, so I trust her more than other "experts" who seem to be going for free perks from Disney. She calls 'em as she sees 'em.

--AJ is NOT a healthy eater. She seems to have tried every dessert at every Walt Disney World restaurant and stand. This concerns me because my favorite restaurant critic, the L.A. Times Pulitzer Prize-winner Jonathan Gold (subject of an excellent documentary "With of Gold") died at 57, and his terrible eating habits may have contributed to his early death. Then again, when AJ is visiting WDW restaurants she is also walking six to ten miles a day.

--AJ has an excellent announcer voice. She never bores me by speaking too slowly, and she sound enthusiastic without sounding fake.

--The repetitive music in her videos used to bother me, but now I'm used to it and don't even hear it--like the music in front of the (old) Submarine Voyage and Swiss Family Robinson Tree House at Disneyland that I never seemed to hear after ten minutes when I worked in front of those attractions in the 80s.

--We would be better off if she came out with 2 or 3 videos a month. Because she has so many videos about the restaurants at WDW she contradicts herself and will have one video where a restaurant is overrated and not worth visiting, and another where the same restaurant is "must-visit." Every major restaurant at WDW is probably in at least a dozen of her videos and she often gets repetitive. It's funny that people (like me) do seem to get addicted to her videos, especially with this quarantine, and many of us are now ridiculously over-prepared to visit Disney World.

--As I've heard AJ say dozens of times, "Let us know what you think in the comments below."

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    if you'd rather read than watch videos, here is a link to the DFB website--it might be a good place to go in addition to AllEars, which has Disney restaurant menus:
    https://www.disneyfoodblog.com

I find her videos helpful and easy to watch as well, for all the reasons you mention (based on a lot of comments on her videos, she's got lots of fans that agree!). That said, yes there are quite a few of them, but that can be said for any of the big bloggers/reviewers, I think.

As to the healthy eating thing, I'm relatively certain (?) she's not a one woman show, so it may be some of the other members of the DFB staff eating a good fraction of the deserts too! . I think some other staff members occasionally respond to comments, so it's not DFB_AJ or nothing in that regard (though I don't have any of their names memorized to cite one off the top of my head)

As for the perceived inconsistency, I would think it's more just either different experiences over time, or the restaurant really changing sometimes. I can't say I've done an extensive study (maybe you found some examples), but I sort of doubt you would find many posts on the DFB channel within a short amount of time that went from "this place rocks" to "this place is awful" for the same restaurant.

-Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I find her videos helpful and easy to watch as well . . . . As for the perceived inconsistency, I would think it's more just either different experiences over time, or the restaurant really changing sometimes. I can't say I've done an extensive study (maybe you found some examples), but I sort of doubt you would find many posts on the DFB channel within a short amount of time that went from "this place rocks" to "this place is awful" for the same restaurant.
    She mentioned in a newer "restaurants you must visit" (not the exact title) video that she'd recently dissed EPCOT's Le Cellier steakhouse, and she tried to explain why it could be in both recent videos, but what I got out of it was that she is trying to pump out too many videos about WDW restaurants too quickly.

The biggest disagreement I've had is that she loves the Yak & Yeti at Animal Kingdom. Two out of three of us in my family had terrible & overpriced meals there (my mahi mahi was pretty good) with bad service a while ago, though AJ has said that the only thing consistent about WDW restaurants is that they are inconsistent.

I enjoy the videos and I agree she has a good voice for it. I unfortunately haven't been back to WDW in a long while, life got in the way of vacations, so I'm not sure if I agree with her recommendations. Hopefully I'll get to find out before next spring. But until I do get back to happy place, her videos help ease the withdrawal symptoms 😉.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    As to the healthy eating thing, I'm relatively certain (?) she's not a one woman show, so it may be some of the other members of the DFB staff eating a good fraction of the deserts too! . I think some other staff members occasionally respond to comments, so it's not DFB_AJ or nothing in that regard (though I don't have any of their names memorized to cite one off the top of my head)...............
    Only just now finding the "About" section on the main DFB website, it seems the actual reviewers tasting things is just AJ and her photog/designer. She does acknowledge though that they will share with other (non-reviewing) friends or staff, so the 2 of them really are trying everything, but probably not eating a lot of full portions.
    -Dave