Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: AP Refund vs. Extension Questions: Pros? Cons?

So looks like Universal Studios Hollywood and Knotts both decided to toss out their own messages to their passholders during this time.

https://twitter.com/UniStudios/statu...51508357210116

https://twitter.com/knotts/status/1350187361972363266

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Hey I thought of you and Pammer after waiting on hold 3 hours to talk to a AP castmember yesterday and finally getting some answers. January 2020 I purchased and paid in full for 3 Signature APs with MaxPass with plans to activate about a year later (now). Activation never occurred. In previous conversations with castmembers about these passes it was made clear to me that a refund was not an option for "the contractholder" (me).

That all changed yesterday. They're refunding the amount in full to the payment method originally used. Thought you'd like to know. ETA on that refund is unknown, but by calling and giving them the serial numbers the ball is rolling at least. You may wanna do the same.
    Well that's correct, but with a small loss in my case because they will refund the entire amount to my credit card. ($1398) I used multiple payment methods which was Disney gift cards, some Disney Visa rewards, and the balance was on my Disney Visa. I just did the math, and I got 2% Disney Visa rewards on $790. ($15.80) But when they refund the entire $1398 to my Disney Visa, I'll lose $27.96 in rewards. So I'm going to be out right at $12. Not the end of the world, but what about somebody who bought several passes using multiple payment forms? Could be a lot worse for others.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Hey I thought of you and Pammer after waiting on hold 3 hours to talk to a AP castmember yesterday and finally getting some answers. January 2020 I purchased and paid in full for 3 Signature APs with MaxPass with plans to activate about a year later (now). Activation never occurred. In previous conversations with castmembers about these passes it was made clear to me that a refund was not an option for "the contractholder" (me).

That all changed yesterday. They're refunding the amount in full to the payment method originally used. Thought you'd like to know. ETA on that refund is unknown, but by calling and giving them the serial numbers the ball is rolling at least. You may wanna do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Well that's correct, but with a small loss in my case because they will refund the entire amount to my credit card. ($1398) I used multiple payment methods which was Disney gift cards, some Disney Visa rewards, and the balance was on my Disney Visa. I just did the math, and I got 2% Disney Visa rewards on $790. ($15.80) But when they refund the entire $1398 to my Disney Visa, I'll lose $27.96 in rewards. So I'm going to be out right at $12. Not the end of the world, but what about somebody who bought several passes using multiple payment forms? Could be a lot worse for others.
    I always use Disney gift cards to purchase our passes (I buy them discounted at either Target or Sam's, then transfer them to an old gift card we have registered that can take up to $1000 balance), I expect to get checks for the 2 unactivated Deluxe passes with MaxPass and the approximately 6 months left on my husband's old AP. I never receive emails from Disney either, but my address & phone number is accurate on my account.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

We are in the disappointed phase too. I did get the email.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I'm surprised they pulled the trigger so early. I had heard speculation about cancellation already but it would be closer to reopening. APs still get a discount for now - great - but with APs being the majority visitors I think after the initial wave of enthusiasm the park attendance will be quite low. Which will also mean I guess Disney mgmt can advertise wide open spaces and the save money on labor.
    I'm wondering what your rationale is for assuming that Park attendance will be low. I know a few people here are like me and absolutely unwilling to assume risk, yes, even for Disney (I've been locked down tight since March and only leave the house once a week for an hour to get groceries). However, I know of several people (not friends anymore because of this) who flew to WDW and spent a week each just before Xmas, so while in full-bore pandemic, where each of their respective governors were begging people not to travel. Yes, I know that's FL and not CA, but when I watch DD videos from vloggers I'm not seeing a lack of people in the backgrounds of shots. Add to this the people who are....not great about personal space or public health and safety...when they visted pre-pandemic, and I don't think they're going to act differently now.

Maybe I'm jaded because my family is from AZ and, even with hospitals at critical levels, there are still people loudly refusing to mask and making a big deal about putting other people at risk. Is that not happening in CA?
    You can't phase me; I survived Usenet.

Quote Originally Posted by leota's necklace View Post
    I'm wondering what your rationale is for assuming that Park attendance will be low. I know a few people here are like me and absolutely unwilling to assume risk, yes, even for Disney (I've been locked down tight since March and only leave the house once a week for an hour to get groceries). However, I know of several people (not friends anymore because of this) who flew to WDW and spent a week each just before Xmas, so while in full-bore pandemic, where each of their respective governors were begging people not to travel. Yes, I know that's FL and not CA, but when I watch DD videos from vloggers I'm not seeing a lack of people in the backgrounds of shots. Add to this the people who are....not great about personal space or public health and safety...when they visted pre-pandemic, and I don't think they're going to act differently now.

Maybe I'm jaded because my family is from AZ and, even with hospitals at critical levels, there are still people loudly refusing to mask and making a big deal about putting other people at risk. Is that not happening in CA?
    Oh its happening. Oh I could give a long list of the things I have seen said by people from my city online and the behaviors seen but I won't get into it right here. While there is that there are also the rest of us mixed in taking it serious still. Our hospitals are on overload though but many don't want to believe it because they don't see cars in the parking lot or lots in the ER...those are things I've seen said on community groups. Many restaurants that are not following guidelines as well and doing as they please. With all I see in my area of Orange County, I honesty can't see people behaving in the theme parks. They can't do it in a grocery store or some other places, then how can they be trusted to wear a mask and keep distance at a theme park once inside? Its how I look at it. I've said it before the facts are that cast members slack on making sure rules get followed in the parks when it comes to many things. Its all good at first but after awhile it falls apart where only some try to keep the rules followed. I've seen this sentiment about it at WDW over the last month now as well by some and others don't notice one way or the other. My husband has worked this whole time and when they sent the kids back on hybrid back in Nov (the are back to all distance learning for this month at least), it was obvious they weren't all follow rules about masks in classes and such. They were still drinking and eating in the rooms. There is a few office staff not following rules either. They don't follow rules when they were/are doing sports conditioning either. Then the parents wonder why the teachers don't want to be in a class with the kids? My family has been careful this whole time since its just so questionable in many areas on what or who it could effect in what way. Aes well as my husband has to go help at his mom's house from time to time and doesn't want to see her get it. I admit I am on the fence on if I would go when the parks reopen. I think for me it would depend on where our case load is, behaviors of people and how it would be handled and such. As well as what not just my comfort level is at that point but my family as well.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To me the low attendance would not be for a while. 2 years at least of really swamped parks maybe? And it will take a year I think for capacity to follow a ramp up pattern. Before they announce any program I believe they would make a mistake if they limited member attendance drastically over time. If you recall before covid people have been surprised that times like 4th of July has hardly any crowds. Things like Christmas are different of course.

My speculation comes from assuming they would not want the same influx of APs and rather have full paying guests. However their goal will always be to try and maintain close to max capacity so they can maximize revenue so if it's 35% they'll work to get folks to show up and get close to 35%, 50%, etc.

Over time though since APs historically made up a good amount of annual attendance - if they limit it too much then the attendance would be low. Full paying guests would not make up the difference. That was my thinking.

Of course - if they include a significant price increase when they reopen then that will do the job too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So I have not received an email nor a refund yet and I had almost 10 months left on my annual flex pass.

I also had the max pass on it, I am guessing I will get that back too?

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    So I have not received an email nor a refund yet and I had almost 10 months left on my annual flex pass.

I also had the max pass on it, I am guessing I will get that back too?
    Do not be surprised if it takes a LONG time to get the refund. IMO they should have made sure that all those that asked for the refund option were taken care of before pulling the plug on the rest of us as they did. There are people still waiting to get checks many, many months later. IMO the way they are deciding on what one gets back for a refund is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    IMO the way they are deciding on what one gets back for a refund is a joke.
    Can you explain why you think that?

I thought that this was a relatively fair method of calculating refunds since every pass has different rules. For the non-Flex passes, I think it makes a lot more sense to calculate based on useable days rather than calendar days. For instance, the So Cal Select pass costs $419 and was valid for 149 days ($2.81 per access day). The person who bought their pass on the last day of May before the summer blockouts had only 1 less access day than a person who bought their pass on the 1st day of September when the passes were again valid, so while they should receive $2.81 less than the May buyer, they shouldn't receive $109 less (which is what it would be if done on a per calendar day basis at $1.48/day x 95 days).

The only one that it is a bit difficult to calculate is the flex pass, because of the difficulty in calculating what is an access day. I don't think Disney did a particularly good job defining access for this pass. For instance, in October 2019, we wanted to make Flex reservations on certain weekends and shortly after the 30 day mark, all of the weekends in October were unavailable. But some (all?) of those days, as they got closer, re-opened and became available for reservations. Is a day considered an access day if some but not all passholders were able to make a reservation? Were there days that said "reservation required" but Disney didn't open ANY reservation for? Overall, I was happy with the Flex passes while we had them, so if I get a reduced refund because every day is considered an access day then I'm okay with that. Ironically, my backup plan if we were unhappy with the flex passes was to upgrade those passes to Deluxe - which if we had done prior to the shutdown would now result in a higher % refund, since that pass would have had more blockout days.

There are plenty of people that have done the "Disney math" for it over and over on their own APs and it didn't add up right. I did it with my husband's that was paid in full and no blackouts on it. It looks like it we would end up losing around $90 by their math. We pay for an year pass, 12 months. All of us do that had APs, blackouts or not. The dates one can't go are already figured into what you are getting for the price you pay so why not do it by the months left then for March figure those days out were closed. We should be also getting the last monthly payment back on 3 of our APs as well that was taken back in March 2 days before shut down. I figured I will see what it is we end up with though....whenever that will be.

Blog Entries

i have not done the math yet - but renewed my pass at the beginning of April - so I should get the last 2 weeks of march back AND a full year. Now that I see comments above that some are seeing less - thats a problem. I should get a full refund if I never used it and the park was closed.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    i have not done the math yet - but renewed my pass at the beginning of April - so I should get the last 2 weeks of march back AND a full year. Now that I see comments above that some are seeing less - thats a problem. I should get a full refund if I never used it and the park was closed.
    I think those that never used it shouldn't have a problem with what they get back. Its the ones that had time left on them of any kind that seem to be the issues since it seems to be going by days one could get in the parks. I am sure many don't even think about it as well and just accept what was given because they trust Disney. I've seen one that said it was off only $18 from what they figured so no biggie to them and I wouldn't say something either at that cost. I do think that they way Disney posted how they are going to come up with your total for a refund is almost like looking at a common core math problem (God I hated doing those with my daughter). Maybe if they hadn't decided to use "Disney math" and just did a simpler way to figure out what is owed, the refunds might have been returned faster as well. They still had who knows how many that took the refund option waiting on payments and now with the dump of all APS I can't imagine how long it will take to get this figured out and dealt with. I do feel for the cast members having to handle all these calls too.

I do think that they way Disney posted how they are going to come up with your total for a refund is almost like looking at a common core math problem (God I hated doing those with my daughter). Maybe if they hadn't decided to use "Disney math" and just did a simpler way to figure out what is owed, the refunds might have been returned faster as well. They still had who knows how many that took the refund option waiting on payments and now with the dump of all APS I can't imagine how long it will take to get this figured out and dealt with. I do feel for the cast members having to handle all these calls too.
    I don't know what Disney thinks I should get back (I guess I will find out when my checks arrive) and I agree that the way it is set up online is less than clear. But I assume that this is because for the monthly payment people, they could put down a deposit of a variable amount, and then have monthly payments of the remainder spread evenly over 12 months even though the blockout dates were not spread evenly.

I don't know why Disney opted to announce it was ending the AP program when it did (unless it was hoping that the inauguration would overshadow this news). It seems like they could/should have calculated all of the AP passes and triggered the refunds at the same time as the announcement - or issued the press release and said that people had x days to call in to change the details before the refunds automatically issued.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I don't know what Disney thinks I should get back (I guess I will find out when my checks arrive) and I agree that the way it is set up online is less than clear. But I assume that this is because for the monthly payment people, they could put down a deposit of a variable amount, and then have monthly payments of the remainder spread evenly over 12 months even though the blockout dates were not spread evenly.

I don't know why Disney opted to announce it was ending the AP program when it did (unless it was hoping that the inauguration would overshadow this news). It seems like they could/should have calculated all of the AP passes and triggered the refunds at the same time as the announcement - or issued the press release and said that people had x days to call in to change the details before the refunds automatically issued.
    I forgot about those that put more down than needed as well. I am sure there could have still been a simpler way even with those that did that thrown in. It will be interesting to see what they give us back for 3 APs minus 2 days and what they think those 2 days were worth. I agree that they should have had this all figured out and ready to mail the checks/deposit the refunds soon after the announcement. Yet they also should have done the same thing when each person that asked for a refund from the get go did instead of holding on to that money until later in the year. Like you said especially to give us the option to wait on the check if need be or call and give new info to refund the money to.

Just saw on another board that some have either got refunds or emails saying they would soon. I haven't seen a thing yet. I know if I get an email at all I will be lucky. I will have to have my husband check his as well to keep watch on our 3. I know I have nothing yet but hoping it would before the end of the month. So far some seem to be ok with what was returned or in at least one case they got more than they thought. That is one board. I haven't looked at others.

BTW, still never got the email about the APs being canceled either.

They should send a physical letter. They sent a letter when they grandfathered in parking and the photopass benefit. Canceling a contract seems like a time to send a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    They should send a physical letter. They sent a letter when they grandfathered in parking and the photopass benefit. Canceling a contract seems like a time to send a letter.
    I agree. They should have. Especially when they know that many of us do not get their emails. I know I've contacted them in the past about it and I've seen others say they have as well but nothing changes.

Blog Entries

Survey to some AP Holders on ideas for new passes through membership

https://twitter.com/imaginat1on/stat...479468032?s=19

https://twitter.com/imaginat1on/stat...400892416?s=19

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Those surveys are not really new so to speak. I have seen ones like that for years now on passes. Most where through a survey site but similar in manner. I've always found them to be trying to push towards what they want you to pick over what you would rather pick too. Some of the ones I did a few years ago like that were also bringing in Universal Studios doing similar as well. Then depending on your answers as well each person will see different things showing up. Another board mentioned them and a couple people that took them, one gave a little more info on what they saw and could remember (no screenshots) and the other said they never say that on their end.

I agree. They should have. Especially when they know that many of us do not get their emails. I know I've contacted them in the past about it and I've seen others say they have as well but nothing changes.
    I guess it costs them $1000 to send a letter.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherjenny View Post
    i guess it costs them $1000 to send a letter.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I guess it costs them $1000 to send a letter.
    I'd be good if they never sent me a letter but refunded me an extra $500. That would save them $500, right?
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Oldest and son in law got their refund yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Oldest and son in law got their refund yesterday.
    Checks or return on credit card?