Did I miss a news story?

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

High School here she comes!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by june1st1997 View Post
    Why would there never be a vaccine?

Did I miss a news story?
    They don't have a Vaccine for AIDS yet.

We have flu one each year but even that is not always right on as the flu strains change every year. It's just a calculated guess on which strain they think is going to hit.

Remember SARS a few years ago. They started development of a Vaccine but then I guess the world got to that herd immunity and SARS pretty much disappeared and the vaccine was never used for humans.

Don't believe everything CNN and other news agencies are telling you to believe.
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Here is something interesting to digest

Each year in the US there are almost 1.25 million people killed in car crashes, about 3200 per day.

And yet we are not told to stop driving?

Covid has killed 56,843 people in the US in about 90 Days? That is about 631 people per day.

We should all stop driving right now!!!!

Why would there never be a vaccine?

Did I miss a news story?
    I too was hoping for a vaccine that will protect people from getting it, like the measles vaccine, but after reading some recent articles, it seems like scientists are hoping to just find a vaccine that may not necessarily provide immunity but to dampen the severity of the virus if you get it. Scientists have not been able to come up with a vaccine for past forms of coronavirus. So with that past history, it is looking like we may be somewhere in the middle of the vaccine and having to either live with it or build herd immunity like SARS.

In the beginning of all of this, I was one who was really freaked out and ready to shack up for as long as it takes. You should see my coronavirus supply stash in my garage. My wife kept telling me I was out of my mind. But as we continue down this road I am coming to the conclusion that is a possibility that this may never go away and we may have to learn to live with it, but hopefully with something in the near future that is similar to a flu shot.

On some more positive news, it looks like governor in Florida said that Disney World is ahead of the curve in opening up. I am guessing WDW will open before DL. So that may give some guidance on how DL will open up and operate when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    On some more positive news, it looks like governor in Florida said that Disney World is ahead of the curve in opening up. I am guessing WDW will open before DL. So that may give some guidance on how DL will open up and operate when the time comes.
    And just as I typed this I saw the article about Florida giving WDW and Universal guidelines for opening up in phases, possibly in June.

-tape markings of 6 ft apart in rides and attraction queus.
    -all employees required to wear masks
    -touch less hand sanitizer at each park entry and turnstile
    -touch less hand sanitizer at each ride/attraction entry and exit
    -temperature checks for staff prior to shift
    -employees with symptoms required to stay home
    -wipe down all railings and surfaces after every use
    -wipe down of surfaces at random times
    -phase 1 - 50% capacity
    -phase 2 - 75% capacity

Ooooh, THERE'S the car crash analogy. I was wondering when it would come up. Thanks, sjhanksaz.

A few notes:
    You don't have a car crash and not know it until 14 to 30 days later.

You don't have a car crash, not know, show no effects, come home, and then have multiple loved ones die from it after suffering for weeks.

You don't have a car crash, not know, and then cause folks you've been in contact with since your crash to crash their cars weeks later, as well as the cars of those they've contacted.

Unless you are an actuary or epidemiologist it's best not to make "educated risk" arguments about this.

Also, point of order, you meant to say "there is no vaccine for HIV", which is the virus, not AIDS, which is a manifestation. HIV is not a coronavirus so that's not a helpful analogy, anyway.

Well said, leota's necklace!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So many folks look at deaths as a measure to compare against - but the problems (as pointed out) are risk, rate of infection, and asymptomatic spread. And now stories of younger patients dying from strokes related to coronavirus causing severe clotting. It's truly unpredictable and requires significant protections - and time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

The New York Times has a very encouraging article on vaccine development in today’s online version of the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by leota's necklace View Post
    Ooooh, THERE'S the car crash analogy. I was wondering when it would come up. Thanks, sjhanksaz.

A few notes:
    You don't have a car crash and not know it until 14 to 30 days later.

You don't have a car crash, not know, show no effects, come home, and then have multiple loved ones die from it after suffering for weeks.

You don't have a car crash, not know, and then cause folks you've been in contact with since your crash to crash their cars weeks later, as well as the cars of those they've contacted.

Unless you are an actuary or epidemiologist it's best not to make "educated risk" arguments about this.
    I am just talking some statistics. One could say just don't ride in a car and then you would have zero chance of dying.

Also not everyone who is exposed to Covid Dies, this all plays into the statistics I was pointing too. There are even more accidents every day that have injuries and many that have no injuries.

I am just trying to say there is risk in just being alive and living. I am now at the point where I believe this Covid thing is not a risk for me. I would take steps to avoid getting it but am willing to take the chance of infection to get on with life. If it takes me then it takes me.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    I am just talking some statistics.
    And you're using them incorrectly to determine your level of risk.

I am now at the point where I believe this Covid thing is not a risk for me. I would take steps to avoid getting it but am willing to take the chance of infection to get on with life. If it takes me then it takes me.
    Fair enough, but you don't seem to understand your role in viral spread. It might not kill you, sure. It might just make you sick enough to take up resources -- the attention of overtaxed medical staff, a valuable bed, a hard-to-get respirator-- for 6 to 8 weeks or longer. It might just ruin your heart muscle. And it might not make you sick, but you might spread it to an exponential number of people, who might suffer and/or die.

You're not just making decisions for yourself.

I saw this elsewhere and it seems appropriate:

I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it’s not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.For some that live alone, they’re facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment, some are bringing in more money to their households than when they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk, and eggs for the weekend.Some want to go back to work because they don’t qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.Some have experienced the near-death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don’t believe this is a big deal.Some have faith in God and expect miracles during 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.Unknown author

I am now at the point where I believe this Covid thing is not a risk for me.
    You are very lucky that you get to make that choice for yourself. I do not think you have the right to make that choice for others.

If someone kills another person in the car accident you love to quote statistics on... they would and should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. You don't get to kill people just because.

Look I am all for people getting to exercise their civil liberties and live their own lives. I would absolutely be in favor of finding space where everyone who wants to be out and about can be. No doctors, no social distancing. In 3 months whoever is left and is no longer contagious can re-join society.

Currence:

Thank you for sharing.

There was a great article in BuzFeed titled: This pandemic is not your vacation. It spoke about limited resources in resort towns and how the affluent have flocked there without thought about how it impacts the area.

Again, thank you for injecting some compassion in this heated debate.

Be well.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

From today's press briefing with Governor Newsome:

"Disneyland and other California theme parks currently closed by the COVID-19 pandemic can’t reopen for months, possibly until an as-yet-undeveloped coronavirus treatment becomes available, according to state government officials."

Full article here.

Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    From today's press briefing with Governor Newsome:

"Disneyland and other California theme parks currently closed by the COVID-19 pandemic can’t reopen for months, possibly until an as-yet-undeveloped coronavirus treatment becomes available, according to state government officials."

Full article here.
    An exact quote from the article: "Newsom did not explicitly mention theme parks in his four-stage plan."
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

You are very lucky that you get to make that choice for yourself. I do not think you have the right to make that choice for others.

If someone kills another person in the car accident you love to quote statistics on... they would and should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. You don't get to kill people just because.

Look I am all for people getting to exercise their civil liberties and live their own lives. I would absolutely be in favor of finding space where everyone who wants to be out and about can be. No doctors, no social distancing. In 3 months whoever is left and is no longer contagious can re-join society.
    Every time you or I drive we actually have a chance of killing somebody on accident of course. But we still do it

If someone does not want to go out and possibly get sick then they can make the choice to stay home. Why should everyone have to stay home?

Everyone should want to stay home if they are able. Every time someone gets sick they are taking up resources. One less doctor for the mailman or grocery clerk who is essential and working in this dangerous time. The fewer people out and about - the better it is for everyone. I guess the trick is getting people to care about people other than themselves.

To be clear, I understand how much staying at home is impacting families and their ability to make money. I think if you need to work to support your family, I think you should be able to work in a safe environment . No one should have to lose their home because of this pandemic.

That being said... when they open the states back up it will impact peoples ability to collect unemployment benefits. Some will need to work, safe environment or not. The more people out, the more of a chance this thing will pop back up. More people get sick... See top of page.

I saw a commercial for a local furniture store yesterday. The commercial was about their protocol for opening back up. They furnish you with a mask, take your temp. Tons of hand sanitizer, give you PPE (plastic sheets) to sit down on furniture. That makes me hopeful that there is a way we can open back up in a very limited capacity. If everyone is focused on safety.

It's the guy who is quoted in the news wanting restaurants to reopen so he can get free drink refills, because he hates ordering 2 drinks at the drive thru. That guy does not fill me with optimism.

Financially I need the country to re-open. DH's career depends on it. You cannot make a TV show with social distancing. We understand that. We wait and hope that solutions are found.

I have a tremendous amount of compassion for the people who's survival depends on re-opening. I feel a great deal of rage toward the people who are demanding other people risk their lives to bring them soft drinks and color their hair simply because that is what they desire.

If someone does not want to go out and possibly get sick then they can make the choice to stay home. Why should everyone have to stay home?
    I am staying home. I can't completely eliminate my outside contact, as I do need to eat and can't fill that need adequately from a garden. Even if I had groceries or seeds delivered, I depend on someone else: the delivery person and the producers. My mail delivery depends on someone else. My utilities depend on someone else. Those are all essential people.

When you decide to live your life the way you feel you should be able to, you're going to interact with sick people. You're also going to interact with essential people. And then they are affected when they get sick. And then I am affected, too, even though I'm staying home, because they should have the ability to stay home when they are sick, but many are being forced to work when sick., or forced to work without protection.

Do you really not understand your role in public health? Do you understand how many people you interact with? Do you remember exponential numbers from high school math? Did you know we're still learning about how this virus is spread?

Every time you or I drive we actually have a chance of killing somebody on accident of course. But we still do it
    Again, please think about 1. your willingness to kill people and 2. the crappy analogy here, as even fatal car crashes aren't virulently contagious.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Also (not to harp on this post, but I'm gonna), let's consider the subtle victim-blaming that's going on here. "Don't want to get sick? Then don't leave your house."

No. You have a role in my not getting sick, too.

Quote Originally Posted by leota's necklace View Post
    Also (not to harp on this post, but I'm gonna), let's consider the subtle victim-blaming that's going on here. "Don't want to get sick? Then don't leave your house."

No. You have a role in my not getting sick, too.
    That would mean that people would need to think of people beyond themselves. There are people who are simply incapable of that. Some of them are toddlers. Some aren't.