Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Disneyland Re-Open? - speculation incouraged

I don't trust celebrities. They seem to like to tell us all how to live but lots of them have been getting Covid.

Also that new vaccine is probably all going to make us glow under some special light. I bet all of these big companies will be looking at us going in through the turnstiles only if we glow the correct color.

We all need to stay home and hope the government prints enough money to send us all checks.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    I don't trust celebrities. They seem to like to tell us all how to live but lots of them have been getting Covid.

Also that new vaccine is probably all going to make us glow under some special light. I bet all of these big companies will be looking at us going in through the turnstiles only if we glow the correct color.

We all need to stay home and hope the government prints enough money to send us all checks.
    If you are trying to make a sarcastic point, you are making a bad one. People who are in favor of masks, social distancing and common sense are in typically in favor of a well-tested vaccine that has been proven safe. In trying to sound like those damn communists (shakes fist), who are supposedly taking away your rights by asking you to be a thoughtful, decent human being, you are only making yourself look bad. And no one is saying they want to live off the government. But, if people are too selfish and/or too stupid to try to prevent the closing of the economy, then there are limited options.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    No specific date mentioned. Only a vague announcement that reservations will be accepted in the future.
    Based on AVP's article today about the reopening, no reservations will be accepted, virtual queue only for Carthay Circle alfresco dining. Darn.
    Karin

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Based on AVP's article today about the reopening, no reservations will be accepted, virtual queue only for Carthay Circle alfresco dining. Darn.
    yeah - so if you want dinner, or early supper, you're looking at multi hours wait midday - getting in to DTD then a second wait for BVS. I noted that the physical queue is really long - and standing there isnt the most fun thing to do. I dont mind Virtual Queues but I see a major problem with waiting 60 minutes for letting people come back. That takes forever at times and extends the virtual queue wait time. I've experience marceline waits during a weekday after lunch of 90 min to 2 hours. Thats not a weekend, thats not a late afternoon evening. I can only imagine the length of wait for BVS if the same timing is used.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I noted that the physical queue is really long
    Did you go today, olegc?
    Karin

Blog Entries
    Did you go today, olegc?
    no - in a video someone else shared - the queue goes from the sidegate to the back edge of the ticket booth switchbacks. It uses the southwest ticket booth switchbacks. then, they have already set up the ability to use the northwest ticket booth switchbacks. However, I will note that these could have been put in place (the ground markers) as part of their desired opening in July. AVP reported today live on Facebook from BVS that they went with virtual queue right away. She also reported that Carthay is doing wave-based reservations. every 90 minutes they take more. As she noted that would lead to people hanging out waiting for the next wave opening. Doesnt bode well for clearing the area - so maybe that will change. The line outside in the morning was about 90 min long and growing (for BVS).

Speaking of Carthay - so many folks have said "oh, yes, now's my chance to dine at Carthay Circle when I could never get in before" well, its not really dining at Carthay is it. The menu is adjusted, you are eating outside on the sidewalk. You are there - but not really "there" so are you getting the experience you expect? or trying to justify that its the same?

I also saw that Gone Hollywood may open as well soon because the inside has all of the Holiday merch ready. its the same as all the rest - so I dont know what the draw will be. This first week will be VERY interesting to gauge how people respond and will Disneyland management have to change how they manage the guests coming in to BVS as far as timing (i.e. will they need to implement wrist band blocks of time).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Mouseplanet said that Off the Page was decorated as well so wouldn't be surprised if that and Gone Hollywood both do open. Those 2 places would really need to be limited in how many could be in there to keep with social distancing and guidelines right now under purple tier.

I said it under the article posted but putting a hand washing station right next to a bench was a bit odd I thought.

I agree about the Carthay Circle. If people are expecting to get the "experience" they thought they weren't able to before they will be disappointed since its all outdoor dining and the menu is not the same at all. Toss in the wait and hope to get in the area to begin with. I just don't get how its wroth it but guess for some it is.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Speaking of Carthay - so many folks have said "oh, yes, now's my chance to dine at Carthay Circle when I could never get in before" well, its not really dining at Carthay is it. The menu is adjusted, you are eating outside on the sidewalk. You are there - but not really "there" so are you getting the experience you expect? or trying to justify that its the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I agree about the Carthay Circle. If people are expecting to get the "experience" they thought they weren't able to before they will be disappointed since its all outdoor dining and the menu is not the same at all.
    I guess I've totally missed it. Where have y'all seen the adjusted menu for the al fresco dining? TIA!
    Karin

Blog Entries

It's been reported by other disney news sites. As of yet the menu has not been photographed or shared.

This story had comments from Andrew Sutton that they refreshed the menu because it is an outdoor experience now

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/11/c...ampaign=buffer

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I thought it was on here in one of the updates but I think it was in the Disney blog about DCA opening BVS as well.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I guess I've totally missed it. Where have y'all seen the adjusted menu for the al fresco dining? TIA!
    From the Disneyland website: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/din...e/menus/lunch/

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Thanks, tea!
    Karin

My wife, youngest son and I all made the trek down to DTD this past weekend. Friday night we were able to just head on into DTD with no wait around 5p or so. Checked in for BVS street right as we came in (from the Harbor side since we were staying at the Anaheim Hotel) Did a few mobile check ins for Star Wars Trading outpost, Marcelines and the Home store but the only place we actually went into was the SW store and then to Pin Traders to get some Christmas gifts and by the time we were done we got the call back for BVS, so it was only about a 40 minute wait for that. As we waited in the line to get in to BVS I went ahead and mobile ordered from Smoke Jumpers for my son since he was hungry and just went and sat and ate there and then just walked around and wandered to see how far back we could go in the parks, notice anything different, wife checked out the QR code for the Carthay menu since that's what we planned to do on Saturday. The lines for Trolley Treats and Elias and Co were long so we headed out after a bit and on the way out went to WoD for some more Christmas shopping, line was standby and only about a 5 minute wait. Grabbed a few things and then went back to the hotel.

The next day I lagged and didn't line up for DTD until about 9 am or so. Like others have said the line just looked long considering all the social distancing. They started moving us through all the screenings by 930, lined up for BVS about 15-20 min later but by the time I got in, a few minutes after 10a, it was too late for the first round of Carthay reservations. The cast member turning folks away mentioned coming back at 1:30p so that was the plan, just did a lot of walking, shopping, people watching until then. A few folks started lining up in front of Carthay about noon and the same guy who told me to come back at 1:30 was now hemming and hawing and saying "well you may not get in, you may have to wait 2-3 hours..." but the folks in front of me decided to wait it out so I did too. Sure enough at 1:30p the line started moving (we were fourth) and a couple minutes later we put our name in and were told it would be a 30 - 60 minute wait, ended up being 30.
    I get that folks say it's not the same but the food and drinks, whole experience was great and worth it for us. Our server, Holly, was great and said it was great to be back, her and all her co-workers cried the day they came back, and that it was great to be back at work and see people in the parks again, we made sure to tip her well. After that we headed to Stage 17, waited about 5 min, just to browse and then back to the hotel. The whole trip was bittersweet.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    My wife, youngest son and I all made the trek down to DTD this past weekend.
    Thanks for the insight as to how it went this weekend, NickP! We're considering a trip soon and were wondering about how early to get there to get a lunch ressie for Carthay. Now I have a better idea of what it'll take. Thanks!
    Karin

My wife, youngest son and I all made the trek down to DTD this past weekend. Friday night we were able to just head on into DTD with no wait around 5p or so. Checked in for BVS street right as we came in (from the Harbor side since we were staying at the Anaheim Hotel) Did a few mobile check ins for Star Wars Trading outpost, Marcelines and the Home store but the only place we actually went into was the SW store and then to Pin Traders to get some Christmas gifts and by the time we were done we got the call back for BVS, so it was only about a 40 minute wait for that. As we waited in the line to get in to BVS I went ahead and mobile ordered from Smoke Jumpers for my son since he was hungry and just went and sat and ate there and then just walked around and wandered to see how far back we could go in the parks, notice anything different, wife checked out the QR code for the Carthay menu since that's what we planned to do on Saturday. The lines for Trolley Treats and Elias and Co were long so we headed out after a bit and on the way out went to WoD for some more Christmas shopping, line was standby and only about a 5 minute wait. Grabbed a few things and then went back to the hotel.

The next day I lagged and didn't line up for DTD until about 9 am or so. Like others have said the line just looked long considering all the social distancing. They started moving us through all the screenings by 930, lined up for BVS about 15-20 min later but by the time I got in, a few minutes after 10a, it was too late for the first round of Carthay reservations. The cast member turning folks away mentioned coming back at 1:30p so that was the plan, just did a lot of walking, shopping, people watching until then. A few folks started lining up in front of Carthay about noon and the same guy who told me to come back at 1:30 was now hemming and hawing and saying "well you may not get in, you may have to wait 2-3 hours..." but the folks in front of me decided to wait it out so I did too. Sure enough at 1:30p the line started moving (we were fourth) and a couple minutes later we put our name in and were told it would be a 30 - 60 minute wait, ended up being 30.
    I get that folks say it's not the same but the food and drinks, whole experience was great and worth it for us. Our server, Holly, was great and said it was great to be back, her and all her co-workers cried the day they came back, and that it was great to be back at work and see people in the parks again, we made sure to tip her well. After that we headed to Stage 17, waited about 5 min, just to browse and then back to the hotel. The whole trip was bittersweet.
    Right on Nick! Great report. Glad you and the family got to make the trip down. Like you said bittersweet.

I get that folks say it's not the same but the food and drinks, whole experience was great and worth it for us. Our server, Holly, was great and said it was great to be back, her and all her co-workers cried the day they came back, and that it was great to be back at work and see people in the parks again, we made sure to tip her well...
    Thank you for the great trip report! It's good to hear that you and your family had a good time. If your server Holly is the same person we remember at Carthay, you are right that she is terrific. I'm really glad to hear that she's back -- we'll definitely be looking for her there.

Blog Entries

This morning (Wednesday) I got here at 620am on Harbor - and no significant crowd showed up until around 745 or so. Then I saw at 845 that Carthay was now doing advanced reservations. Yikes! I tried so hard on the web but it wasn't responding. I found a workaround in the app.

CMs are fantastic, reminding folks to wear masks, where to stand, and where to eat. lines take a little while but hey it's for your safety.

Treats purchased (nothing different except ribbons on the toffee packs), churros grabbed, corn dog finished for breakfast. Now for steolling.

I didn't shout and cheer when I walked in like others have but I am very happy right now.

Blog Entries

One thing I would love to see - a way you can tell how far along you are in the virtual queue. If I started at 82 and it's coming up to when I have to leave and I'm only at 40 (and it's been 2 hours) I won't stick around.

Though I guess if they had this it would be like fastpass where everyone huddles around the queue entrance.

One thing I would love to see - a way you can tell how far along you are in the virtual queue. If I started at 82 and it's coming up to when I have to leave and I'm only at 40 (and it's been 2 hours) I won't stick around.

Though I guess if they had this it would be like fastpass where everyone huddles around the queue entrance.

This is one of the things that I liked about the Star Wars virtual queues. Once they opened for the day, they said what number they were calling. So you did have a sense of how much longer it would be. Once day, we got one of the "backup" return numbers, so we went home mid-day and then came back to the park later in the evening when it looked like they would probably get to our number after all. I never felt that Star Wars had excessive crowding waiting for their number to be called. I'm surprised they aren't doing something similar with this.

Treats purchased (nothing different except ribbons on the toffee packs), churros grabbed, corn dog finished for breakfast. .
    Love to read that. Churro and a corn dog sounds amazing right now.

We went to DTD for Thanksgiving and had a lovely time. Not crowded at all, but very windy and chilly. Walked right into BVS and got in a short line for Trolley Treats. Plenty of goodies on every shelf. Bought treats for us and gifts for my parents. Walked as far as the ropes in all directions. Chatted with CMs and thanked them for their hard work. Had dinner in DTD, then did some holiday shopping at WOD. Again, no line, so we walked right in. Found everything we were looking for right away and went straight to the registers. Ended the evening with hot chocolate while listening to the holiday music outside. So thankful that we got to continue our tradition of going to DLR on Thanksgiving. Yes, it was different this year, but it was still good.

Blog Entries

Tea - in years past were the parks really crowded on Thanksgiving? I wonder if the experience was different because it's mostly retail - or if it was just later in the day.

Tea - in years past were the parks really crowded on Thanksgiving? I wonder if the experience was different because it's mostly retail - or if it was just later in the day.

The parks were usually more crowded earlier in the day, then less crowded as the day wore on (as people went to dinner and to watch the game). If the weather was wet, like last year, the parks weren't crowded -- rides that were open were usually total walk ons by afternoon/evening as people got soaked and went home. Yesterday's windy, cold weather helped to keep crowds low. Also, CMs thought that people were confused about the county mandates. Not everyone understands that L.A. County restaurants are closed for on site dining, but OC restaurants still allow outdoor dining at low capacity (25%?). CMs expect the TS location business to pick up as that information gets out to more people (unless, of course, OC shuts restaurant dining, too).

The parks were usually more crowded earlier in the day, then less crowded as the day wore on (as people went to dinner and to watch the game). If the weather was wet, like last year, the parks weren't crowded -- rides that were open were usually total walk ons by afternoon/evening as people got soaked and went home. Yesterday's windy, cold weather helped to keep crowds low. Also, CMs thought that people were confused about the county mandates. Not everyone understands that L.A. County restaurants are closed for on site dining, but OC restaurants still allow outdoor dining at low capacity (25%?). CMs expect the TS location business to pick up as that information gets out to more people (unless, of course, OC shuts restaurant dining, too).
    I don't think people are really confused on that. Only those that aren't from here might be but those that live here in Orange and L.A. Counties know what is what. I can see confusing in L.A. County though because Pasadena has its own health director and they are still allowed outdoor dining so confusion in that could happen. Yet I think there isn't a draw to something like just Downtown Disney for a time like Thanksgiving. The theme parks are different and would have drawn the people there because of what it would offer. Downtown Disney is just like if one as to go to an outdoor mall, you know? Many places this year opted out of opening things on Thanksgiving like they usually would have so it could be another reason (aside from COVID) that more stayed home.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I don't think people are really confused on that. Only those that aren't from here might be but those that live here in Orange and L.A. Counties know what is what. I can see confusing in L.A. County though because Pasadena has its own health director and they are still allowed outdoor dining so confusion in that could happen. Yet I think there isn't a draw to something like just Downtown Disney for a time like Thanksgiving. The theme parks are different and would have drawn the people there because of what it would offer. Downtown Disney is just like if one as to go to an outdoor mall, you know? Many places this year opted out of opening things on Thanksgiving like they usually would have so it could be another reason (aside from COVID) that more stayed home.
    TS reservations at The Jazz Kitchen were full over a week ago, according to CMs. They are the ones who said that they were fielding phone calls from people confused about which counties were still open. (People can be pretty lazy about how and where they get their news -- and accuracy isn't always a priority, as we've seen over and over.) There were people ready to celebrate Thanksgiving in DTD without the parks. Crowds were low, but it wasn't a ghost town. DTD today was packed in the afternoon. We met a family who had TS reservations there yesterday and again for today. DTD may be just like an outdoor mall to some people, but to others it is still a special place if that's as close to Disneyland as they can get right now.