Due to sheltering-at-home, I was able to finish my trip report from January! I hope everyone is staying safe & healthy, and that you will enjoy reading it!

Travel dates: January 28 – February 1, 2020
Travel method: Southwest
Resort: Camelot Inn (Off-site)
Accommodations: Standard
Ages Represented in Group: Adult
Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Veteran
Comments: A trip to celebrate James' 60th birthday!
Cast of characters:

• Pam, 59: trip planner/writer/self-proclaimed Disney Queen!
  • James, 59/60: Pam's hubby who likes Disneyland but is not as fanatic as Pam!

The Planning

James turns 60 on January 30th and my AP expires February 27th, so that means it's time to go back to the Disneyland Resort! We decided on January 28th – February 1st and I started the planning!

Lodging: I booked a One-Bedroom Family Suite in April at the Camelot Inn on Harbor Blvd. & then called to rebook to a lower rate in late September (a less than 10-minute walk from the parks; total for 4 nights = $1,017).

Transportation: I booked airfare on Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Orange County using points at the total equivalent cost of $305; with TSA fees & the Early-Bird option, the total cash cost = $405.

Since SuperShuttle is no longer in business for travel to/from our motel in Anaheim, we opted to use Lyft.

Tickets: We both have valid Deluxe Annual Passports with MaxPass.

Priority Seating: I only made two dining reservations for our visit; the rest will be counter-service:
  • January 29: World of Color Dessert Party @ 8:15pm (me only; I will pick up a FastPass for James)
  • January 30: Blue Bayou @ 11:30am for James' birthday lunch

The Itinerary

The pre-planning was done very quickly, and here was the result:
  • January 28: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Camelot Inn
  • January 29: Disneyland/DCA; World of Color Dessert Party
  • January 30: Disneyland/DCA; lunch @ Blue Bayou
  • January 31: Disneyland/DCA
  • February 1: Check-out of the Camelot Inn; fly home in the afternoon

Monday, January 27, 2020 (1 day before departure)

Actual: Since I am no longer employed, I had most of our stuff packed yesterday!!! Today I got my nails done, ran some errands, stopped at Subway to get James his veggie foot-long sandwich for tomorrow, and later printed off our boarding passes (A52 & A53).

We spent the rest of the day getting ready (last-minute house cleaning & packing) & watching a little TV, and I was in bed around midnight; James was feeling congested (we both had colds during the past couple of weeks, but were on the mend) and fell asleep around 3:30am.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 (75o)
Plan: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Camelot Inn

Actual: We left the house around 3:15pm and had no issues driving to the airport; I found an end spot in the Economy Lot (42A) and we were able to catch an arriving shuttle (there was an electronic sign at the entrance that said shuttles were running every 30mins, and we sure didn't want to wait around for the next one!).

I checked our big bag in and we had no wait in the TSA-Pre line (the regular line was pretty light as well).

I went to fill our reusable water bottle and James sat down to eat his sandwich around 4:15pm; I'd eaten lunch at home so I just had a P3 snack (turkey, Colby, & almonds). James hadn't eaten anything all day, so he ate his whole sandwich (I didn't mind; one less leftover to hang on to!).

We then went down to our gate to wait for our flight; we boarded and sat in 13 A & C (our favorite seats were already taken). Fortunately, no one sat between us and we had an on-time departure at 5:40pm.

The flight was bumpy, so we had no food service; however, we landed 10mins early around 6:55pm at Orange County. We picked up our checked bag and went upstairs to the second floor of the parking garage to request a Lyft ride just after 7pm. The area was full of travelers waiting for their rides as well.

My ride request was picked up and then almost immediately dropped, before being picked up by another driver (Chris); it's a good thing we weren't in a hurry because it took Chris 25mins to find us! I watched him driving all around the area outside the airport via the app, and finally texted him after 15mins to see if he was still coming to get us.

It turns out that Chris was from San Diego and wasn't familiar with this airport; he couldn't figure out how to find us! He was very personable and was happy to let me guide him through the carpool lines straight to our motel. He picked us up at 7:30pm and dropped us off at the Camelot Inn at 8pm.

We checked in (room #502) and hauled our gear to our room; after getting briefly situated, we walked down to The Pizza Press. I got in line and James continued down to CVS (Katella) to get 2 gallons of water (he also got a turkey sandwich & some BBQ Baked Lays Chips).

I ordered the yummy Press Cheese pizza for me, plus two identical Publish Your Own pizzas (mostly veggie + Hawaiian with no cheese) for James and a soda for us to share (I had an old 10% coupon, but he ended up giving me the 25% hotel discount instead!). James arrived in time to eat with me, and then we took all of the leftovers back to the room.

We stopped along the way at The Cove Market, where I picked up a couple of postcards, and we were back in our room around 9pm. James watched TV while I got us all unpacked and moved in; I showered and was in bed around 11pm, but couldn't get relaxed enough to fall asleep until midnight! (Not sure when James fell asleep.)

WE’RE HERE!!! 

Steps: 8,911

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 (75o)
Plan: Disneyland/DCA; World of Color Dessert Party

Actual: With the new Rise of the Resistance ride having just opened 12 days before, I knew it was going to be a priority this trip. I had researched the tips on requesting a boarding group via the Disneyland app & was hopeful that we each would get to ride at least once; unfortunately, since you must be scanned into Disneyland Park BEFORE official park opening time (which means EARLY), I knew we would not be able to ride together because of James' sleep issues. However, I had 3 chances to try!

My alarm went off at 6:25am (darn it, why couldn't I have fallen asleep sooner last night?!); I had a protein shake & a slice of my leftover pizza, and was out the door by 7:25am. There were short lines at security, but long lines for DL (halfway across the Esplanade)!

They opened the turnstiles at 7:30am and I was inside by 7:40am (it helps that I know of a line that splits past a planter right before the gates!). I said hello to Walt...

...then rented a standard locker (#1826) and left my jacket inside before heading towards Tomorrowland.

Rope drop occurred 5mins early; I headed to just outside Star Traders and waited for 8am to come so I could join a boarding group for RotR! Apparently, my phone's time is a bit faster than Disney's, plus I just wasn't sure of the timing; I kept going back and forth between screens and then started feeling a big desperate when people started cheering all around me! The "Join Boarding Group" button FINALLY activated for me and I went through the steps to link just my pass before clicking "Submit" ~ SUCCESS!!! I got Backup Boarding Group 67 @ 8:01am (the park was closing at 8pm tonight for a special event, so fewer BGs were assigned), and I did a mental happy dance inside!

I headed to the exit of Space Mountain so I could ride via the disabled vehicle; there was no CM present, so I stood there waiting for one to arrive. I got very annoyed at some teenagers with a wheelchair who just started to speed past me and not wait for the CM; I called them back and they only waited about a minute before heading down the ramp anyway.

I realized that I had forgotten to get the World of Color FastPass for James, so I did that through the app (BLUE; he will use my physical AP to enter the viewing area tonight) and then I made a MaxPass for Star Tours @ 8:10 = 8:40am (next = 8:40am).

The CM finally arrived and I told her what had happened; she told me to go on down & I was put in the second car behind these kids (I was still annoyed at their blatant disrespect to me, but oh well!).

I then rode Space 3 times (after each of the first two rides, I asked the CM to check if anyone was waiting to ride up at the exit; if not, they will let you ride again)!!!

After exiting, I made a MP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 8:45am = 9:15am (next = 9:15am) and then walked on to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, where I scored 427,600 (#26) but had no picture (BOO!)!

I next rode ST with my MP via the elevator; they are only showing the new scenes right now so I got the Stormtroopers (which I ended up getting on every ride this trip EXCEPT one!), the ocean moon Kef Bir, Lando Calrissian, Exegol, & the original hangar we departed from!

I made a MP for Radiator Springs Racers @ 9:20am = 12:35pm (next = 10:50am) and then walked over to the exit of Alice in Wonderland; their return time thing was down, so the CM let me ride via the exit in the disabled vehicle right then.

I walked through Fantasyland towards the BTMR exit and rode with my MP ~ always fun!

I headed into Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge to ride Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run via their soon-to-be FP entrance so I could avoid the stairs of Single Rider and the long wait of the Standby queue; I requested to be an engineer again, as I am quite content to sit in the back of the vehicle & push my buttons!

I headed back to Fantasyland and rode Peter Pan's Flight (5mins via the disabled side entrance) and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride via the exit (Ratty; also 5mins).

I exited via Sleeping Beauty Castle...

...and decided I was getting hungry, so I went to the Little Red Wagon around 10:40am for a corn dog, chips, & large Diet Coke. I found a seat behind the wagon to enjoy my yummy food!

While resting, I also made a MP for Guardians of the Galaxy @ 11am = 11:15am (next = 11:20am) and wrote out my postcards (one to my brother and one to my nearly 92-year-old aunt).

I left a few minutes later and stopped at the Camera Center to add my Space photos to my account (they are always gone from the monitors by the time I get back up there) and also mailed my postcards at one of the postal boxes on Main Street. I stopped at the locker to leave my jersey shirt (too warm for me!) and headed over to Disney California Adventure around 11:15am.

After a restroom break, I made a MP for Soarin' Around the World @ 11:20am = 12pm (next = 12pm).

I next headed to Guardians and rode with my MP ("We Want the Funk"); afterwards, I rode again via the very short Standby queue which was listed as 15mins but was actually a walk-on ("Hit Me with Your Best Shot")!!!

It was time for another MP, so I made one for Guardians again @ 12:05pm = 12:50pm (next = 12:50pm) and then walked over to ride Soarin' with that MP around 12:30pm (row B1 without even asking!).

Five & Dime were performing in the hub, including Anders (formerly with the Billy Hill & the Hillbillies group), so I stopped to watch them perform for a few minutes.

I next walked back to ride RSR with my MP via the disabled vehicle and got the Luigi side.

I wanted a snack and planned to get a Goofy Glacier at Trolley Treats, but then I saw the Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich along the way and bought one of those instead!

I sat down on a bench near the Carthay Circle Theater to enjoy my treat and then walked over to ride Guardians a third time around 1:50pm ("Free Ride"). While waiting to ride I made another MP for RSR @ 1:55pm = 8:05pm (next = 3:25pm); someone must have cancelled theirs for me to get a MP this late in the day!

...to be continued