Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Walt Disney World Resort Update for February 11-17, 2020

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Walt Disney World Resort Update for February 11-17, 2020

Walt Disney World Resort Update for February 11-17, 2020 by Alan S. Dalinka

Disney Villains After Hours Returns on Select Nights | More Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Details | Epcot Festivals News & Calendar | Views Around the World | This and That | Disney Springs News & Views

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Thanks again Alan for all the work you do so we can live vicariously through your WDW visits. To your question about gearing the report more toward first timers I would say that in my experience that topic is too HUGE for this report.
    In fact, I would tell anyone who has never been there to go with a very experienced WDW traveler the first time. No amount of reading and studying can prepare someone for the vastness and sensory overload that is WDW.
    I understand that not everybody has access to experienced people but it made all the difference to me. I think your report covers just what it needs to cover.
    Would it hurt to have a paragraph that addresses newcomer tips? No, that wouldn't hurt. Maybe you could hire yourself out as a first time guide? I know Disney has paid guides and that might be a good topic in your report, how to access that service and prices.
    One other thing I would like to see is more comments on your weekly report. I know you get read by a lot of experienced Disney travelers, it would be good to see more of them share their knowledge on these threads.
    That is my two cents. Thanks again.

After publication of this week's Update, Walt Disney World Resort quietly raised prices of several types of Annual Passes: Platinum and Platinum Plus for non-Florida residents increased $76 to $1195 and $1295, respectively. Florida resident-only Gold, Silver and Weekday Select each increased $20, and Epcot After 4 increased $15. All of the current prices we are aware of are now reflected in our Walt Disney World Guide (which we are in the process of bringing current).

Also, thanks to WDWChuck for the comments above. I agree that it would be nice to see more comments on the Updates. Would it help if we used a different comment platform for that - like Facebook or something else?

Regards,
    Alan

Last edited by asdhollywood; 02-11-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: transposed AP prices

Alan, Id prefer to see things stay as they are. Theres enough information for newbies elsewhere on this site. Thanks for all you do!

John

Quote Originally Posted by asdhollywood View Post
    After publication of this week's Update, Walt Disney World Resort quietly raised prices of several types of Annual Passes: Platinum and Platinum Plus for non-Florida residents increased $76 to $1195 and $1295, respectively. Florida resident-only Gold, Silver and Weekday Select each increased $20, and Epcot After 4 increased $15. All of the current prices we are aware of are now reflected in our Walt Disney World Guide (which we are in the process of bringing current).

Also, thanks to WDWChuck for the comments above. I agree that it would be nice to see more comments on the Updates. Would it help if we used a different comment platform for that - like Facebook or something else?

Regards,
    Alan
    Hey Alan,
    I don't use any social media and in particular I don't use the Facebok. That is one of the reasons I love Mouseplanet and would like to see much more participation on this forum by my fellow Disney geeks.
    I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your weekly report and many of the other regular contributors like Chris Barry and Adrianna and all the rest.
    I am not a marketing or sales guy so I can't help you drive more traffic. I do tell all my friends who are irregular travelers to WDW to make sure and check out this site.
    Mouseplanet has a ton of great, great up to date information on WDW and Disneyland.
    Keep up the great work.
    Chuck

Let me echo Chuck and say that you shouldn't gear the column for first time vacationers. What you might consider is something resembling a disclaimer letting potential readers know that the focus of your column assumes general knowledge of the resort. Then refer readers with less experience to the park guide for more comprehensive information. Admittedly, I feel like my word choices could be refined more, but I'll leave that to the professional writers.

I'll open by saying thanks for all the work on the updates each week. I try to at least skim through them each week and read more thoroughly when there is something I'm really interested in. The effort is definitely appreciated here! I try to make comments when I see something of specific interest. Sorry if I don't chime in more often just to say thanks each week for all the effort, photos, etc. So none of the below should be taken as any sort of negative criticism.

I'd agree with others, the updates are fine as they are. Lots of other info is here in the general guide sections of the site.

If you wanted to have a small item or 2 in a paragraph geared for new visitors(maybe near the top of the update, or now that the format has the "jump to" feature, that may not be critical), that might be a little "hook" to help newbies out. Sort of similar to how you would sometimes do the "One Passholder's Tip" a while back (sorry if I botched the title of that, I didn't go look it up in an old update, but I think it's close enough for you to know what I'm referring to)

I'll suggest the updates give those of us with the additional interest the avenue to become more of an expert once we know the basics and decide to seek more info.

I forget if it was my actual first visit here or not (I think it was), but I seem to recall my first significant exposure to this site was when I became interested in checking out the Wild Africa Trek almost 7 years ago. At the time I was really new (having only visited WDW maybe two short trips and a day here or there while on business trips over a period of about a year before I was looking at the Trek). I forget what I read to become aware of the Trek (might have been a DPB story), but whatever it was somehow led/linked me to a great write up of the Trek by former update writer Mark Goldhaber. I asked a few questions, got friendly useful answers and I've been here at least a little bit ever since!

While there are definitely still a lot of folks here with more experience than I have, I feel what I've learned over the years (much of it here, but of course not all of it ) has made me much more of an expert than I was when I was a total newbie 8 years or so ago.

While this may not be the only site I ever visit to learn new info, it's the only one I am registered for for posting and that I check regularly. IMO, it covers things at a level that help me keep current without being overwhelming in terms of how many posts there are on a given day or any given topic.

I understand the need for sites to establish some presence on other social media platforms, but if it became necessary to be going over to those to participate in comments for articles like this, I would most likely be less likely to, as I am not interested in registering on FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc. to do so. Just MHO, but there comes a time when it becomes more fragmented and you start to wonder why the site itself exists if lots of content is going to be on other platforms.

The forum section here seems to work fine, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

-Dave