Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Today I Wish I Was...

Arriving at POFQ on the DME, receiving some beads and a warm welcome home... Drop the bags in the room and head over to MK for some rides around Tomorrowland--CoP, TTA People Mover, perhaps Buzz. Then over to Jungle Cruise before dinner at Skippers. Mmmm Pad Thai extra spicy! Short lines for Pirates and BTMRR before fireworks.

Joey

2. # ADS

Having lunch at Casey's (Mac N Cheese Hot Dog) before heading to Adventureland for rides on Pirate and Jungle Cruise. Maybe a spin on the People Mover and Space Mountain before having dinner at Pecos Bills.

Just getting back to the room after pulling an all day between F&W and GE, wrapped up with sticking it out for midnight Wishes at MK! With a great spot near Casey's without any strollers or ECVs ramming into us...yes both had foot slashed open by ECV and angry tired dads run into or over us with quadruple wide strollers wondering why they couldn't just cut through a firework crowd...turds.

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    Just getting back to the room after pulling an all day between F&W and GE, wrapped up with sticking it out for midnight Wishes at MK! With a great spot near Casey's without any strollers or ECVs ramming into us...yes both had foot slashed open by ECV and angry tired dads run into or over us with quadruple wide strollers wondering why they couldn't just cut through a firework crowd...turds.
    Well, if we are going back in time... (the Wishes reference). I wish I was riding high above Tomorrowland and Fantasyland on the Skyway, followed by a ride on 20,000 Leagues Captain Nemo Submarines. I didn't start my WDW visits until long after these had been removed, but rode the DL version of the Skyway during 2 visits when I was a kid, as well as the DL Submarines (original theme for the trips as a kid and Finding Nemo re-theme more recently).

I agree on the Casey's viewing spot for fireworks, though, no matter the show. Saw both the final Wishes and the first HEA from roughly that location when they changed over a few years ago.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Well, if we are going back in time... (the Wishes reference). I wish I was riding high above Tomorrowland and Fantasyland on the Skyway, followed by a ride on 20,000 Leagues Captain Nemo Submarines. I didn't start my WDW visits until long after these had been removed, but rode the DL version of the Skyway during 2 visits when I was a kid, as well as the DL Submarines (original theme for the trips as a kid and Finding Nemo re-theme more recently).

I agree on the Casey's viewing spot for fireworks, though, no matter the show. Saw both the final Wishes and the first HEA from roughly that location when they changed over a few years ago.
    Lol, it's part lazy and part nostalgia. If you aren't a regular you wouldn't know the difference. MK is Wishes (HEAgqzxt.etc new name is a mouthful) and EPCOT will normally be known as illuminations (best close up fire and fireworks show ever--especially for Anniversary WWX displays)

But I too miss the old skyway and 20k. I'm sure you've heard a few times, Nick worked 20k in college program in the 90s. Might even still have the nametag somewhere. Miss that too...the vernian stuff shouldve been left alone and improved upon in the interest of inspiring youth.

Converting the Cali boats to Nemo just cheapened it imo. We should be inspiring the uninspired facebook controlled lemmings with stuff like a convincing Vernian story, space travel, what it was like in 1800s farming, surviving in 1776 (without an IOS device)... We always bless the classics with a visit to the likes of COP, and the TTA-PplMvr...

I got our neice a collection of.vernian classics in hardback and I wonder how much she's read
    Joey

But I too miss the old skyway and 20k. I'm sure you've heard a few times, Nick worked 20k in college program in the 90s. Might even still have the nametag somewhere. Miss that too...the vernian stuff shouldve been left alone and improved upon in the interest of inspiring youth.

Converting the Cali boats to Nemo just cheapened it imo. We should be inspiring the uninspired facebook controlled lemmings with stuff like a convincing Vernian story, space travel, what it was like in 1800s farming, surviving in 1776 (without an IOS device)... We always bless the classics with a visit to the likes of COP, and the TTA-PplMvr............
    Fair enough on Wishes. I wasn't trying to bust stones too much, I of course knew what you meant, but it opened the door for me to put the 2 "Yesterland" things I did.

Yep, have seen your brother mention the college program job a few times. That must have been a cool thing to work. Beats what I did during college breaks working at Radio Shack (RIP), lol. We might have just as interesting stories about odd things you see when dealing with the public every day (though I am sure he has more stories since he saw A LOT more people each day working at WDW than I did).

While I don't dislike the Nemo version, I agree the original was more meaningful. But I will be honest, even though I was not going to parks in the mid-90's, I was aware of the closed subs and the risk that they would never return. I remember when watching the Christmas morning parade special one year and they had a stage over the lagoon. Thought they were done for good then. I then (still before I started visits by a few years) saw the DL billboards while on a business trip near LA (around 2007 or 2008, I think) declaring "The Subs are back!". So by then, I was just happy to see them survive, even if re-themed. If having the Nemo theme helps them stick around, I can deal with it (and I will admit the 3 gulls on the buoy doing "Mine...Mine... Mine" is cool since they don't have a west coast version of the Nemo ride like at EPC).

Today I wish I was rope dropping Soarin' for a few repeat rides (middle section!) while most everyone else runs to Frozen. Followed by a quick breakfast at Sunshine Seasons and a ride on Living With the Land.
    -Dave

Fair enough on Wishes. I wasn't trying to bust stones too much, I of course knew what you meant, but it opened the door for me to put the 2 "Yesterland" things I did.

Yep, have seen your brother mention the college program job a few times. That must have been a cool thing to work. Beats what I did during college breaks working at Radio Shack (RIP), lol. We might have just as interesting stories about odd things you see when dealing with the public every day (though I am sure he has more stories since he saw A LOT more people each day working at WDW than I did).

While I don't dislike the Nemo version, I agree the original was more meaningful. But I will be honest, even though I was not going to parks in the mid-90's, I was aware of the closed subs and the risk that they would never return. I remember when watching the Christmas morning parade special one year and they had a stage over the lagoon. Thought they were done for good then. I then (still before I started visits by a few years) saw the DL billboards while on a business trip near LA (around 2007 or 2008, I think) declaring "The Subs are back!". So by then, I was just happy to see them survive, even if re-themed. If having the Nemo theme helps them stick around, I can deal with it (and I will admit the 3 gulls on the buoy doing "Mine...Mine... Mine" is cool since they don't have a west coast version of the Nemo ride like at EPC).

Today I wish I was rope dropping Soarin' for a few repeat rides (middle section!) while most everyone else runs to Frozen. Followed by a quick breakfast at Sunshine Seasons and a ride on Living With the Land.
    I know man, no worries I have thick skin! Lol. Hell we even still often refer to DS as DTD.

I really remember loving the skyway as a kid. Only downside to the skyliner is not being open air and cant see much at night.

Today I'm wishing we were taking the Skyliner from DHS to EPCOT, first stop a Strongbow and British Revolution show. Never gets old hearing those old tunes live. I dont even care if they are sometimes (or always as some suggest) lipsyncing...
    Joey

Open air Skyliner would have been cool while riding during the nice weather. I'd have to guess that even if the cars did not operate during rainstorms, they'd probably take on a lot of water (yet another place to experience wet seats) during the daily summer thunderstorms. As much as I'd appreciate a better view, especially in the darkness, I think it's a fair trade for dry seats.

Today I wish I was taking a ride on Splash Mountain. With today's announcement, I have to expect I will quite likely never see it in it's present form again, since I'm probably not planning on going back while all these COVID restrictions and reduced offerings are in effect.

-Dave

Open air Skyliner would have been cool while riding during the nice weather. I'd have to guess that even if the cars did not operate during rainstorms, they'd probably take on a lot of water (yet another place to experience wet seats) during the daily summer thunderstorms. As much as I'd appreciate a better view, especially in the darkness, I think it's a fair trade for dry seats.

Today I wish I was taking a ride on Splash Mountain. With today's announcement, I have to expect I will quite likely never see it in it's present form again, since I'm probably not planning on going back while all these COVID restrictions and reduced offerings are in effect.
    Ugh... never even really heard of that movie and definitely never seen it. In such had zero idea of any implications to bygone issues thereof. It really seems like people are seeking out things to be mad about...Seems counterintuitive to phrases like why cant we all just get along and creating problems where there were none. If it was so dastardly offensive, why wait 23yrs or so to bring it up? I digress, all about equality! Erasing history doesnt provide that...it helps 1 group feel better while alienating another...but I'm no politician or philosophical person by any means, simply thinking the movement could be put towards much better improvements. I.e spending half a mn or so to reshape something that most didnt notice would buy a hell of a lot of housing, meals, or outreach educational job training...
    Joey

...watching nighttime antics around Galaxies Edge...haggling with merchants along the grand bizarre...Beverages at Ogas looking for markers to prove ourselves to the guild... Secretly undermining the empire at every turn. Rebels!

Joey

Where I was supposed to be today pre-COVID- on the Cunard QM2 in Boston for the fireworks.

However dreaming for Disney- maybe spending the day in Liberty Square, visiting the Presidents in air conditioned comfort and riding the steam boat to escape the crowds. End the day watching the spectacular fireworks display from the Poly beach with a drink in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    Where I was supposed to be today pre-COVID- on the Cunard QM2 in Boston for the fireworks.

However dreaming for Disney- maybe spending the day in Liberty Square, visiting the Presidents in air conditioned comfort and riding the steam boat to escape the crowds. End the day watching the spectacular fireworks display from the Poly beach with a drink in hand.
    Looking forward to the day we can grab roasted corn on the cob at the market there and take a ride on the ol steamboat before Haunted Mansion! Maybe spend an hour wondering around the island forts afterwards and then head over to BTMRR... Have to say...the way longer version at DLP which goes under water is pretty damn cool though.
    Joey

Today I Wish I Was...

Having lunch at the Plaza (Club Sandwich). Then riding POTC, and all the mountains: Space, BTMRR and Splash.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmerdel View Post
    Having lunch at the Plaza (Club Sandwich). Then riding POTC, and all the mountains: Space, BTMRR and Splash.
    Always get the club myself...Good stuff!
    Joey

Sitting on the porch of one of the fancy new DVC villas at Wilderness Lodge, having a cold one with Dad and brothers talking about what we wanted to do tomorrow as the Electric Water Pageant passes by... capping off an all day EPCOT run from opening at Spaceship Earth and over to Soarin before the kiosks had opened...then food n beverage in a circular type pattern around this big lagoon type area if you can imagine...

Joey

Sitting on the porch of one of the fancy new DVC villas at Wilderness Lodge, having a cold one with Dad and brothers talking about what we wanted to do tomorrow as the Electric Water Pageant passes by... capping off an all day EPCOT run from opening at Spaceship Earth and over to Soarin before the kiosks had opened...then food n beverage in a circular type pattern around this big lagoon type area if you can imagine...
    Sounds good to me! Let's go! And yes, looks like some threads got lost somewhere...
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Having breakfast at Boma before heading to Animal Kingdom for some early morning rides on the Safari, Everest, Dinosaur (Let's go get that dino!), and Flight of Passage.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmerdel View Post
    Having breakfast at Boma before heading to Animal Kingdom for some early morning rides on the Safari, Everest, Dinosaur (Let's go get that dino!), and Flight of Passage.
    If you skip breakfast and first tj rope drop you can a beer from the bathroom cart and make it on within 45min without a FP-...

Cant wait to go ripping through everest again kn that first drop!
    Joey

Stopping in for a burger and (obviously! ) sundae at the recently expanded Beaches and Cream. Heading back to EPC after the lunch, let's try for the big rides in Future World to fill out the afternoon. Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Living with the Land. (not necessarily in that order). Finish out the evening with dinner at either Japan or China (quick/counter service or sit down - either would work fine for me) and then watching Epcot Forever before heading back to the room.

-Dave

Watching the sun set across World Showcase with an ice cold Saporo over near the waters edge... Preferably without losing my sandal over the wall like Teagapoo... Then meandering around towards The bridge on the UK side for fireworks!

Joey

Wandering around Epcot, Soarin' Around the World, flying to Mars, and checking out how my design rated on Test Track. Followed by some strolling around World Showcase, featuring some watching of the trains in Germany. Sneak out the back door for a nice burger lunch followed by a sundae at the newly (to me) expanded Beaches n Cream (IIRC, the walls were still up for it's renovation when I walked by it in mid December). Back into Epcot to experience as many of the other rides as I can, including Spaceship Earth.
    Stopping in for a burger and (obviously! ) sundae at the recently expanded Beaches and Cream. Heading back to EPC after the lunch, let's try for the big rides in Future World to fill out the afternoon. Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Living with the Land. (not necessarily in that order). Finish out the evening with dinner at either Japan or China (quick/counter service or sit down - either would work fine for me) and then watching Epcot Forever before heading back to the room.
    Do I lose points because I said almost the exact same thing on June 9th and July 19th? I guess I must REALLY want to get back for a Beaches and Cream Burger/Sundae!

Today I wish I was doing multiple rides on Expedition Everest. One FP+ so I can ask for the first car, then enough single rider trips in rapid succession until I feel it's enough . Meal at Flame Tree across the water to watch Everest while eating afterwards.
    -Dave

Anywhere, really, with the low crowds in all parks. But enjoying walk-ons, or sampling food booths...tough choice.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Blog Entries
    Pardon me, but this question is too fun for one.

In this fantasy I'll assume I've been vaccinated against COVID-19. I wish I were. . .

1. Being led to the chef's table at the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian with my daughter.

2. About to ride the new Tron coaster with Fastpasses for the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and a return to Tron after dark. Then I'll ride the Peoplemover too--no fastness needed.

3. Someone mentioned Boma above. That sounds good, + SANAA & maybe Jiko as part of a day at the AKL while staying in a room with a view. I'll have a good book with good stuff on the TV. It's Election Day & at night my favorite candidates have all won landslide victories. Channel surfing has never been so enjoyable.

4. Renting the little speedboats on Bay Lake.

5. Being led by a plaid CM at the Animal Kingdom.

6. Being led by a plaid (or whomever they have leading tours) at Tokyo Disney Sea, staying IN the park, with bullet train tickets & nice hotel reservations for Kyoto.

7. In London for a week, or Florence, Rome, Berlin, or ???

8. On Coronodo in San Diego for three nights with nice weather, warm ocean water, & many friendly dolphins.

9. In Yosemite at whatever that most expensive national park lodge there is called now.

10. This last one is the most unrealistic. I'd like to be one of the ten sports reporters covering the 80+ NBA games at Walt Disney World. I would have a vaccine and be allowed to go anywhere at the resort with an unlimited Fastpass & dining pass. My reporting would be a bit like Luna Lovegood's Quiddich announcing.

That's like the full on world tour of wishes! I'm so glad Nick n I went to DLP for 4 days in March. It was miserable cold the first day, but they've improved it soooooo much since I was stationed in Germany 20yrs ago and Nick missed out on visiting with the folks after I deployed to JBad.

Today I'm just thinking waddling out of Yak n Yeti after eating waaay to much--nornally get almost all the appetizers for the table...then walking it off around the island and back through Pandora to see all the awesome fiber optics at night.

Joey

Standing in line at ROTR after a Bad Motivator or 2 at Oga's, hopefully with some cloud cover and/or light drizzle. Last time in line was pretty hot with full sun...especially cause it was broken down again so we couldn't even stand in the queue, but wherever you could find a short strip of shade next to 1 of the crowded umbrellas...

Joey