Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I Wish I Was...

Right now I will take anywhere, doing anything on WDW property. LOL.

2. # ADS

Watching Electric Water Pageant from the hot tub at a Poly Bungalow, perhaps with a fishing rod out for fun...assuming you can still rent em. Clear calm night with minimal mosquitoes and a cold beer. Full relax before OtooEarly at DHS to get ROTR party with Dave...

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    Watching Electric Water Pageant from the hot tub at a Poly Bungalow, perhaps with a fishing rod out for fun...assuming you can still rent em. Clear calm night with minimal mosquitoes and a cold beer. Full relax before OtooEarly at DHS to get ROTR party with Dave...
    Nice! I'll suggest similar, but for the new Cabins at Wilderness Lodge. Of course for those to be a reality for me, I also need to pick the correct Power Ball or Mega Millions numbers one day!
    -Dave

Today I Wish I Was (That Wasnt)
    Friday, May 15th (day 4 of 6)

FP+ : 1:45-2:45 Soarin', 3:00-4:00 Mission Space, 7:00-8:00 Space Earth

Back half of the trip. I wouldnt go so far as to say its sad, but its definitely a point where I always realize I've got less of this vacation in front of me than behind me. The good part is I get to do another three days starting this morning!

Today I wish I had: I didnt actually have this successfully scheduled before the shutdown came about, but I was going to try get a spot for the Gardens of the World Tour at EPC. So that was my potential morning plan for EPC. (If I didnt get the tour, Id try the RotR routine again this morning.) Followed by continuing to check out topiaries and/or food booths, favorite shows (Jammitors as The Jammin Gardeners, any new films that had opened up(Canada and France, I think?), the display of all the upcoming EPC renovations in the Odyssey Center, etc.), as well as any attractions not in my FP+ list for later in the day. Early to mid-afternoon FP+ for Soarin and Mission Space, more food booths (or counter/quick serve maybe Katsura Grill in Japan or the new Regal Eagle Smokehouse in America). Final FP+ for Spaceship Earth. Had SE on a previous day, but since it was scheduled to go down for 2 years on 5/26, I figured I should try to get in a couple viewings (combined with the RotR flexibility I was trying to support). Standby viewing of Epcot Forever if I didnt see it earlier in the week, or maybe just go back to the room for an early night if I did already see it.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Nice! I'll suggest similar, but for the new Cabins at Wilderness Lodge. Of course for those to be a reality for me, I also need to pick the correct Power Ball or Mega Millions numbers one day!
    Dude! We walked around those a few trips back to check em out. Copper Creak or whatever they call it, the big Villas look badass! I'm so glad we got the chance to stay in the main lodge once when I still got the Military discount. Just the brothers and I. I've stayed in a good number of the premium resorts, but nowhere at the Poly yet. Just one night at GF, but great view top floor above the Marina area where we could see the castle and Wishes laying on the foot of the high beds. Nice! Super plush premium beds.

Cmon Powerball! Wait, dang it Nick didnt go get me tickets tonight...
    Joey

I've never seen the cabins from too close on land, closest I've come to them in real life is sailing by on the boat launch between the Lodge and MK. I did watch the video advertisement with all the details a few years ago when they were trying to hawk them for DVC. They seemed to be impressive. Not quite the view from the Poly Bungalows right across from MK, but still pretty darn good!

Re: the regular part of the Lodge, when I was there 3 years ago, part of the conversion (I'm pretty sure) seemed to be converting half of the main Lodge building over to DVC units as well. So regular rooms are probably roughly half of the quantity they used to be, even with the newer buildings that were built specifically for DVC. I guess depending on group and actual features of the room that are important it might not matter much, since they seem to offer some DVC rooms for regular guests if DVC reservations don't book them up (I stayed a few nights at Kidani as a regular guest once).

-Dave

Yeah, we did a 2rm Villa at Kidani with 8 of us for 4 nights or so first full immediate family trip. Great memories! Seem to recall sun was up well before rope drop back then so wed have coffee on the balconies for at least an hour before showering and heading to the buses... funny trying to explain to folks it's like having a room above Kilimanjaro Safari...back when they let the zebras play in gen pop. Had no idea they were so aggressive and mean to other animals. Vividly remember a Giraffe trying to kick an Ostrich right in front of our room and debating how far the Ostrich would've flown if that adult Giraffe had connected. Lol. Man, that was a good trip!

Back to your trip plans though, we did that gardens tour once. It was cool going through WS before anyone else let in. Towards the end some lady started tagging along and the Cast Member was funny handing out posters, like nope you're not getting one. Lol. To me the sad day is always last full day when using the DME...I coined the term sad envelopes for that hang tag with your bus voucher and boarding passes...we still say that walking past others rooms with it hanging there...awe, sad envelopes...

Joey

Ok all I am jumping on the bandwagon for the wish I was on my trip daily itinerary.

Today I wish I was on my first day of my short 5 day birthday visit with my dad as my co-traveler.

Up early to catch a United 777 from ORD to MCO. Land around 11:15 am and pick up the rental car. Head over to the Walmart on Vineland to pick up a case of water. Then off to the hotel to check in.

The main objective of this visit is Galaxys Edge and to get to ride ROTR.

After check in, plan to use our free miniature golf passes at Fantasia Fairways. Then head over to Corpus Christi Catholic Church for mass.

End the day with dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe. (Our tradition is to eat the first and last meal of every trip here.) After dinner head up to the Enchanted Rose for cognacs on the balcony.

Get to bed early so tomorrow we can be at HS 2 hours before park opening.

Sounds good daisyd0!

I would have seen you and your dad with a few thousand of our other close friends for the RotR madness tomorrow! (unless I had already done it multiple times earlier in my trip, in which case I probably would have taken a morning break on my last day)

Last edited by Dave1313; 05-16-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    -Dave

Today I Wish I Was (That Wasn’t)

Saturday, May 16th (day 5 of 6)

FP+ : 1:40-2:40 Star Tours, 2:45-3:45 ToT, 3:45-4:45 M&M Run Rwy

Today I wish I had: Gotten up early enough to hit DHS at opening to get a boarding party assignment for RotR. (While I tried for this most days, this is the first day I planned to spend most of the day at DHS whether I get a RotR boarding group or not). Grab some breakfast, either a Ronto Wrap at GE or a regular breakfast sandwich with some OJ at Trolley Car Caf. After breakfast, consider standby line for either M&M RR (my 1st time - especially if RotR boarding group caused a conflict with my afternoon FP+) or Slinky Dog (didn’t have a FP+ for Slinky Dog this trip). Even though I have a FP+ in the early afternoon, do some Star Tours Standby trips if the line is not too bad (less than 30 mins or so). Hoping that they would still be showing scenes from The Rise of Skywalker. Before my afternoon FP+ windows open, maybe check out the Beauty and the Beast show, or Indy. Potentially check out one or more street performances (Citizens of Hollywood, or some of the Green Army men in TSL). Counter serve lunch at PizzeRizzo (if it’s actually open) or maybe Backlot Express. Hit my FP+ for Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, interspersed with some shop browsing and a quick visit to Walt Disney Presents. Take a stroll through Star Wars Launch Bay to see any new displays relating to The Rise of Skywalker. Counter serve dinner at Docking Bay 7. Wander Galaxy's Edge and do some of the interactive games on the datapad (hacking doors, etc.- watch out for Stormtroopers or Kylo Ren asking what you are doing!) End the day with viewing of the projection show and fireworks over the Chinese Theater.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    Ok all I am jumping on the bandwagon for the wish I was on my trip daily itinerary.

Today I wish I was on my first day of my short 5 day birthday visit with my dad as my co-traveler.

Up early to catch a United 777 from ORD to MCO. Land around 11:15 am and pick up the rental car. Head over to the Walmart on Vineland to pick up a case of water. Then off to the hotel to check in.

The main objective of this visit is Galaxy’s Edge and to get to ride ROTR.

After check in, plan to use our free miniature golf passes at Fantasia Fairways. Then head over to Corpus Christi Catholic Church for mass.

End the day with dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe. (Our tradition is to eat the first and last meal of every trip here.) After dinner head up to the Enchanted Rose for cognacs on the balcony.

Get to bed early so tomorrow we can be at HS 2 hours before park opening.
    Happy Birthday! Sorry it cant be at the World!
    Joey

Saturday, May 16th (day 5 of 6)

FP+ : 1:40-2:40 Star Tours, 2:45-3:45 ToT, 3:45-4:45 M&M Run Rwy

Today I wish I had: Gotten up early enough to hit DHS at opening to get a boarding party assignment for RotR. (While I tried for this most days, this is the first day I planned to spend most of the day at DHS whether I get a RotR boarding group or not). Grab some breakfast, either a Ronto Wrap at GE or a regular breakfast sandwich with some OJ at Trolley Car Caf. After breakfast, consider standby line for either M&M RR (my 1st time - especially if RotR boarding group caused a conflict with my afternoon FP+) or Slinky Dog (didn’t have a FP+ for Slinky Dog this trip). Even though I have a FP+ in the early afternoon, do some Star Tours Standby trips if the line is not too bad (less than 30 mins or so). Hoping that they would still be showing scenes from The Rise of Skywalker. Before my afternoon FP+ windows open, maybe check out the Beauty and the Beast show, or Indy. Potentially check out one or more street performances (Citizens of Hollywood, or some of the Green Army men in TSL). Counter serve lunch at PizzeRizzo (if it’s actually open) or maybe Backlot Express. Hit my FP+ for Star Tours, Tower of Terror, and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, interspersed with some shop browsing and a quick visit to Walt Disney Presents. Take a stroll through Star Wars Launch Bay to see any new displays relating to The Rise of Skywalker. Counter serve dinner at Docking Bay 7. Wander Galaxy's Edge and do some of the interactive games on the datapad (hacking doors, etc.- watch out for Stormtroopers or Kylo Ren asking what you are doing!) End the day with viewing of the projection show and fireworks over the Chinese Theater.
    We settled on Pizza one day on the Spring trip (though we had the chicken salads) and it was insane long wait even using mobile ordering...actual mobile was disabled at a lot of places due to crowds...it was insane busy. Funny since most people know if they get up crazy early and get a boarding party, they go to other parks anyway or to nap with the 2he return window. It was packed! We got lucky and nabbed a table right out from the entrance to the adjacent store...so AC blasting out towards our table. I think it took almost 45min to get our food there.
    Joey

Today, wishing we were taking in Adventureland before lunch at Skippers. A little Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Treehouse... standing in the shade and watching the camel spit on folks not paying attention...Perhaps a Pirate Adventure to see if they have any new maps yet. That was a cool idea to give folks something to do when it's too damn busy to make any rides...

Pad Thai (extra spicy) and perhaps a Bluemoon or just an ice tea... it's cool sitting in the main room there and looking around at all the decor, intricate details folks take for granted...

After, Splash Mountain! Were hitting 90s regularly in San Antonio these days, so getting soaked on a really fast log flume sounds like a good time!

Late afternoon or prevening, monorail to EPCOT for dinner at Tokyo Dining and a lazy stroll around the various shops. Rarely buy much anymore, but always the rare find in Norway, Canada, or the UK.

Joey

Happy Birthday! Sorry it cant be at the World!
    Thanks!

Sounds good daisyd0!

I would have seen you and your dad with a few thousand of our other close friends for the RotR madness tomorrow! (unless I had already done it multiple times earlier in my trip, in which case I probably would have taken a morning break on my last day)
    I hope they come up with a new and improved system post COVID.

Today I wish I was on my second day of my 5 day mini trip. Up early to arrive at HS 2 hours before park opening to join the crowd of other ROTR boarding group hopefuls.

Get in line for Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway. Today all fast passes are in Toy Story Land. Slinky, Alien Swirling Saucers and Midway Mania.

If we are lucky enough to get a boarding group, hang around until we get on the ride. If not we plan on hopping over to EPC for a few rides.

Dinner at Ale and Compass. Start out with a Manhattan, and a wine with dinner. After dinner, pop over to World Showcase for an hour or so before heading back to the hotel.

Early morning at DAK to get on FOP without a FP- and then over to KS to see some animals. Wander around Africa for a bit and head towards EE to air dry... probably stopping for some Mr. Kamals fries along the way.

Then head towards EPCOT in the midst of a heavy thunderstorm...embrace being wet and enjoy an empty park after all the woosies clear out.
    Still remember a few trips with almost nobody left around for IllumiNations leaving any spot you wanted open along the railing...

Joey

Sunday, May 17th (day 6 of 6)

FP+ : 9:30-10:30 TSM, 10:30-11:30 RRC, 2:50-3:50 M&M Run Rwy

Last day of the trip. I don’t receive Joey’s “sad envelope” though, since I don’t do DME (or on site recently, but that's a different topic ). I’ll call it my morning of reflection on how much fun the trip was up to this point rather than a sad day.  Also think about any last “clean up” activities I want to try to get to before I leave (last minute souvenirs, etc.).

Today I wish I had: Gotten up early enough to hit DHS at opening to get a boarding party assignment for RotR (but might have skipped if I already had multiple rides). Breakfast, same options as yesterday. With my 2 early morning FP+, try to fit on some low wait attractions in between (Star Tours is sometimes good early morning while everyone else is waiting for bigger E Tickets). Do my FP+ for Toy Story Mania and Rock n Roller Coaster. Check out “Vacation Fun - An Original Animated Short with Mickey & Minnie”. Also, possibly check out Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (I’ve somehow forgotten to see at this, even though I’ve had several trips since it opened). Grab some counter service lunch at Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner, then consider a quick detour over to Fantasia Gardens/Fairways for a round of mini-golf, especially if I didn’t already get to fit one (or both) in the other day. Back to DHS to hit my FP+ for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. It’s a long shot, but if any are left, try to grab a FP+ for Fantasmic. If so, I’ll probably spend the rest of the day at DHS with possibly a run over to EPC for some final food both sampling in between for dinner if I didn’t get enough of the booths earlier in the week. If Fantasmic FP+ isn’t available, consider heading to DAK for the remainder of the afternoon (since I was only there for my first partial day this trip), roaming animal exhibits, possibly a few single rider runs on Expedition Everest, and capping it off with a viewing of Rivers of Life. Once I finish either of those scenarios, probably head to the Poly to try to pick up a box or two of those Mickey shaped chocolate covered coconut treats before leaving (I know, they are basically like Mounds candy bars, but they help put me in the Disney Zone while occasionally having one at home, there are a few pieces left in my fridge right now ). Maybe do a final Dole Whip at Pineapple Lanai while I’m there. Call the vacation a wrap and drive to the airport for my evening hotel near MCO so I’m not driving from Disney Springs before my morning flight.

Sorry that last day was a bit long! Am I the only one who leaves the last day very up in the air, depending on how the rest of the trip went?

Thanks for following along with me! Hopefully actual trips for all of us will be able to resume in the not too distant future.
    -Dave

We settled on Pizza one day on the Spring trip (though we had the chicken salads) and it was insane long wait even using mobile ordering...actual mobile was disabled at a lot of places due to crowds...it was insane busy. Funny since most people know if they get up crazy early and get a boarding party, they go to other parks anyway or to nap with the 2he return window. It was packed! We got lucky and nabbed a table right out from the entrance to the adjacent store...so AC blasting out towards our table. I think it took almost 45min to get our food there.
    Don't get me wrong. As much as I want to say I would like to visit PR if it's open, I would bail and look for something with a shorter line if it was that nuts.

.......Perhaps a Pirate Adventure to see if they have any new maps yet. That was a cool idea to give folks something to do when it's too damn busy to make any rides........
    That's something I've not looked into much yet. That is the thing where you go around and by doing activities it causes things to happen in the land, right? I think I've seen two of those effects happen while other's were playing in the past. One was a firing cannon somewhere near the exit to Pirates(probably startled me as I was standing off to the side near it looking over my plans or trying to snag another FP+ ), and the other was a pirate skeleton that popped up out of the water next to the water fountains at the exit from Jungle Cruise. I may have to look into this some day. Are there a lot of things like this scattered around?

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    I hope they come up with a new and improved system post COVID.
    Same here. The dynamic nature this system causes is a major negative in my opinion. At least FP+ you know whether you get it or not before you start your trip, and it's possible to schedule other things like ADRs around it. And this 2 hour window can negate any single other FP+ you may have since those are only a one hour window (ok, I know there is the slight +/- they allow on the ends, but nominally it's an hour)

It's impossible to plan anything around a random two hour window that you may or may not get on any given day (especially for people that may park or resort hop for ADRs in the middle of a day). Hopefully (COVID alterations of how the parks may end up working put aside for the moment), some of the need for this "boarding party" system was based on the ride still having growing pains and seeming to go down for reboots somewhat regularly. Once they can get past that, hopefully it could work as a FP+, just like everything else.
    -Dave

Don't get me wrong. As much as I want to say I would like to visit PR if it's open, I would bail and look for something with a shorter line if it was that nuts.

That's something I've not looked into much yet. That is the thing where you go around and by doing activities it causes things to happen in the land, right? I think I've seen two of those effects happen while other's were playing in the past. One was a firing cannon somewhere near the exit to Pirates(probably startled me as I was standing off to the side near it looking over my plans or trying to snag another FP+ ), and the other was a pirate skeleton that popped up out of the water next to the water fountains at the exit from Jungle Cruise. I may have to look into this some day. Are there a lot of things like this scattered around?

Same here. The dynamic nature this system causes is a major negative in my opinion. At least FP+ you know whether you get it or not before you start your trip, and it's possible to schedule other things like ADRs around it. And this 2 hour window can negate any single other FP+ you may have since those are only a one hour window (ok, I know there is the slight +/- they allow on the ends, but nominally it's an hour)

It's impossible to plan anything around a random two hour window that you may or may not get on any given day (especially for people that may park or resort hop for ADRs in the middle of a day). Hopefully (COVID alterations of how the parks may end up working put aside for the moment), some of the need for this "boarding party" system was based on the ride still having growing pains and seeming to go down for reboots somewhat regularly. Once they can get past that, hopefully it could work as a FP+, just like everything else.
    Yep, all around that area and over by the bathrooms. The maps crisscross a number of the effects but wont work if you do them in the wrong order. I know this is hard to believe, but they even take you through the gift shop a few times. Lol

Its obviously more for kids, but still a neat way to spend some of your day when the park is packed.
    Joey

Today I wish it was day 3 of my 5 day mini trip. Up early again to get to HS 2 hours before park opening to run the ROTR gauntlet with the other hopefuls for the second day in a row.

Fast passes today are Smuggler Run, Rock and Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Hop over to EPC in the afternoon depending on if and what time our boarding group is.

Dinner plans were to try to get a table at Chef Art Smiths Homecoming. If no tables available, head over to Polite Pig for some bbq.

End the day at EPC with a few rides and a couple countries in World Showcase.

Great start to your trip that wasn't Daisy.

Dave, we always try to leave our last day open, depending on if we fly out early or not.

We have done a few of the Pirate League Adventures. I also like playing Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom. My son has collected most of the original set. We are missing a few, plus most of the Party and Special Event Cards.

Today, I wish I was walking around MK playing Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom while snacking on Cheeseburger Egg rolls, Bacon/Mac N Cheese Tots and a Mickey Pretzel with Cheese.

Ok day 4 of my mini 5 day trip. Its actually the last day as tomorrow we would leave for the airport at 6:00 am.

Today I wish I was celebrating my birthday at the world. Start off the day by sleeping in. Breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe with a Grand Mimosa and some coffee. Order the eggs Benedict flight and end with a complimentary birthday cupcake.

Hop on the monorail to the MK. First ride is always the people mover. Fast passes today were SDMT, HM and Peter Pan. Hit the teacups and COP. Maybe a couple of mountains if the lines are short.

Dinner is again at the Grand Floridian Cafe. Since we are celebrating today a bottle of wine with dinner and upstairs again to the Enchanted Rose for a cognac or 2. End the day with fireworks at the MK or sipping drinks on the balcony watching them.

Happy Birthday, daisyd0! That sounds like it would have been a great way to celebrate.

GFC was new to me, but tried it for breakfast for the first time for a short trip in December. My mom and I both liked it very much. Might need to try another meal there sometime.

This will sound weird, but Today I Wish I Was on my first full day back at work, coming down off the Disney high and reflecting on how cool the trip was and starting in the back of my mind to consider the next one.

That or having lunch at Sanaa watching the animals.

-Dave

This will sound weird, but Today I Wish I Was on my first full day back at work, coming down off the Disney high and reflecting on how cool the trip was and starting in the back of my mind to consider the next one.

That or having lunch at Sanaa watching the animals.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. I completely understand your wish about being back and work and day dreaming about a future visit.

Also having lunch at Sanaa isnt a bad choice either!