Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland After Dark events

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Disneyland After Dark events

Since there are a number of events planned for the Disneyland After Dark series, I figured I'd start one thread for all of them.

We attended the 80s nite party last week and had a terrific time. The selling point for the husband wanting to go was Videopolis. He actually attended when it was around. I never experienced Videopolis but 80s music throughout the park - yep, I'm there. Turns out other friends were attending as well, so we hung out with them for most of the night, and we had a blast. I'm not normally a costume person, but the friends we were going to be hanging out with are great at doing costumes, so it actually gave me a little push to do a costume for this party, which I probably wouldn't normally have done. I did a pink shirt and pink tights, a black tulle skirt, black legwarmers and colorful accessories everywhere. I also successfully managed to do a side ponytail with colorful embellishments. I got a lot of nice comments. The husband went a bit more low-key, with "rocker hair" and an AC/DC shirt. He got some nice comments too. And our friends looked great in their outfits.

This was the credential for the night, but you didn't really have to wear it. They only checked for your wristband when you went through checkpoints as they were sweeping.

We did a few of the photo ops - I loved the Tron one. We didn't go on any rides. We listened to the 80s Allstarz play on the Rivers of America, situated on a moving raft. They were a blast. It's been a while since I've seen them. I don't think I've ever seen them with a female band member before.

We had dinner at Red Rose Taverne, which had some specialty items for the nite's party.

We spent A LOT of time at Videopolis. That was fun. Pic here and video here and here (Prince) and here and here (The Gogo's) and the last song of the night here.

We had a great time.

One tip for these events and really any events anywhere that you only have a digit-only ticket - take a screenshot of the ticket ahead of time so you have a pic copy. At the 80s nite party, so many people were trying to enter at the same time that the Disneyland app was refusing to pull up the event ticket. It's probably not a problem if you're entering earlier or later, but if you're entering during peak party hours, the drain on the app seems to cause a problem.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

Nice! The 80s event sounded super fun; I was sad to miss that one.

So far I've attended a Star Wars night (the first one on May the Fourth) and the 90s night. I had a blast at both of them. Photo op lines were a bit long, but there were a few that were short and we honestly were mostly in it for the atmosphere and the special entertainment and food offerings. I think we rode a few things each time also because short lines.

I'm sooooo hoping to get tickets to the next Star Wars night since it's on the night before Star Wars Celebration begins. I have Friday/Saturday tickets for that, so it would round out the Star Wars weekend quite nicely for me :-)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I'm sooooo hoping to get tickets to the next Star Wars night since it's on the night before Star Wars Celebration begins. I have Friday/Saturday tickets for that, so it would round out the Star Wars weekend quite nicely for me :-)
    Actually, Star Wars nite is on the first night of the con. Celebration runs from Thursday through Sunday.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I am planning on going to Star Wars night assuming that RotR will be an open attraction that night
    My AP will have expired by then and I don't plan on renewing next year and probably won't until Phase 2 of Avengers Campus or whatever the next big park update will be - hopefully revamped, refurbished Tomorrowland.
    At least that's my plan right now.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats been a big question for some people about SW Night - whether ROTR would be open or not because it would be the only thing anyone wants. Since its so focused on SW I wonder how much of the rest of the park would be used. I watched a video from 80's night and noticed that Main St, Videopolis, and the dance parties were packed- but Batuu was wide open. Even the C3PO/R2 photo op wasn't that crowded. it would ultimately be opposite for SW Night.

The video highlights I saw made 80's night look like fun - and definitely you couldn't do everything or eat everything. I have not pulled the trigger on any of these due to the cost (this year is kind of tight). However, I will strongly consider SW Night. I just wonder if it will be 1.5 to 2x the cost of the other nights.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Since its so focused on SW I wonder how much of the rest of the park would be used. I watched a video from 80's night and noticed that Main St, Videopolis, and the dance parties were packed- but Batuu was wide open. Even the C3PO/R2 photo op wasn't that crowded. it would ultimately be opposite for SW Night.
    I wouldn't think it would be surprising that Batuu isn't terribly busy on an 80s night party. The guests there that night were definitely focused on the theme, and there wasn't really anything in Batuu to go with the theme. We went by there during the pre-party and during the party itself, and I wouldn't say it was ever wide open. We all did look very out of place in our bright colors with all the locals in darker blues and greens. The line for Oga's Cantina was busy both times we went by. When we were in Batuu the second time, R2 was out for a photo op/meet and greet, and the line was maybe 10 or 15 deep. There was also a photo op/meet and greet for an Ewok in Tomorrowland (the empty room next to Star Traders), and that line was SUPER long. I expect the trick for Star Wars Nite will be to lure people to other parts of the park, namely Tomorrowland, since Star Tours is there. I expect there will be backdrops available elsewhere in the park. Maybe they'll bring back the backdrops that were used for the Star Wars races in Orlando. Those were really cool.

Regardless of the theme though, most people are gonna be focused on Batuu anyway. I expect many of the attendees to Star Wars Nite will be those in town for Celebration, some of whom will be making their first visit. We've already been figuring that we'll likely head into Disneyland after con every night to see all the people seeing Batuu for the first time. Nothing like seeing the Falcon for the first time. And there should be many more lightsabre fights springing up than have happened before.

Blog Entries

i did recall seeing in a video from 80s night that the queue for the ewoks was open early - just after the time that check in was open. Those folks (ordinary adventures) said they waited a while but the line was MUCH longer when they exited (and as cstephens mentioned above - it was REALLY long). so advice for others going to event nights - some opportunities may begin prior to the official opening time of the event.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Actually, Star Wars nite is on the first night of the con. Celebration runs from Thursday through Sunday.
    Doh, you're right! I have just Friday and Saturday tickets but spaced on that despite some of my friends having four-day tickets :-)

The Star Wars night tickets are on sale for APs! On sale to everyone tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    The Star Wars night tickets are on sale for APs! On sale to everyone tomorrow.
    Thanks for the heads up. I got mine.

I guess that's the MO going forward - little or no announcement about date of availability. Was this date announced anywhere for APs and I missed it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thats been a big question for some people about SW Night - whether ROTR would be open or not because it would be the only thing anyone wants. Since its so focused on SW I wonder how much of the rest of the park would be used. I watched a video from 80's night and noticed that Main St, Videopolis, and the dance parties were packed- but Batuu was wide open. Even the C3PO/R2 photo op wasn't that crowded. it would ultimately be opposite for SW Night.

The video highlights I saw made 80's night look like fun - and definitely you couldn't do everything or eat everything. I have not pulled the trigger on any of these due to the cost (this year is kind of tight). However, I will strongly consider SW Night. I just wonder if it will be 1.5 to 2x the cost of the other nights.
    According to the info on the Disneyland website, ROTR is not going to be available during SW Night due to "Required Maintenance Time".

Darlene aka MotoGP Goddess

Thanks for the heads up. I got mine.

I guess that's the MO going forward - little or no announcement about date of availability. Was this date announced anywhere for APs and I missed it?

A friend of mine texted me at about 6am -- she said another friend had texted her. I didn't see any announcement prior. Gothic Rosie had it posted early (not sure when), but I didn't see the Disneyland AP Twitter post it until sometime around 7:15.

I'm excited! I saw that Rise won't be open, but we had a blast at the last one even without the awesome new ride. I imagine it would be inundated if they did decide to have it open :-/ Plus it's usually having trouble by the later hours, so the nightly maintenance might really just be that necessary...

Disneyland After Dark events

While the website said general admission tickets would go on sale today they silently put them up for sale at midnight and they were gone before 7am.

-- Cindy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    While the website said general admission tickets would go on sale today they silently put them up for sale at midnight and they were gone before 7am.
    another sign that the parks know they will get swamped with requests if they pick a certain time and the sites may have problems (today's still did). So the more they can release opportunities without announcement they sell their tickets without a lot of visible backlash. Its sort of like the BG effect with ROTR -but at least thats a known process. Many say not fair to those who cant arrive so early - but a known process. I just feel that for all of these private ticket events we will see more of this cloak-and-dagger style ticket opportunities (as well as merch releases for LE things) because overall its less effort and Disney will still make its revenue.

To add to this - today they announced the Indiana Jones 25h anniversary AP event March 4th and 5th. After hours - and wrist bands - but no other information. My bet is for the info to hit the website either monday mid day or maybe tuesday 1am how the wristbands are going to be handled. Even then - there will be pressure to hand them out early . I guess Disneyland mgmt feels if they withhold info then folks cant make complete plans and it leaves some of this to chance. Except, of course, where one person saves a spot and 10 others come to join them. Its a fine line I know - but with SO MANY passholders like me wanting to attend multiple events its getting harder to just make them available.

Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    I didn't see Disney announce it, but Gothic Rosie's page stated that the regular tickets would go on sale at midnight. I didn't delve deeper because I had already purchased during the annual passholder sale period, but someone somewhere seemed to know ahead of time that midnight was the time?

I didn't see Disney announce it, but Gothic Rosie's page stated that the regular tickets would go on sale at midnight. I didn't delve deeper because I had already purchased during the annual passholder sale period, but someone somewhere seemed to know ahead of time that midnight was the time?
    It's been pretty standard for tickets to events to go on sale at midnight or just after on the day of release. This wasn't any different, so that's probably how GR knew. That's how the Halloween Party tickets work, too. And Disney announced that the regular (non-AP) tickets would go on sale today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    It's been pretty standard for tickets to events to go on sale at midnight or just after on the day of release. This wasn't any different, so that's probably how GR knew. That's how the Halloween Party tickets work, too. And Disney announced that the regular (non-AP) tickets would go on sale today.
    I don't know if that's across the board. Haunted Mansion 50th went on sale at 10am pacific. Some other events over the years have also been at different times for Disneyland events. I guess the takeaway is if there is no time announced expect it to be midniggt.

[QUOTE=olegc;2020136... I guess the takeaway is if there is no time announced expect it to be midniggt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    It certainly can't hurt to check at midnight first, just to be safe. And to check other social media sites to see if anyone else has gotten a ticket.