Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Pammer ~ September 28 - October 2, 2019 ~ Offsite

Travel dates: September 28 - October 2, 2019
    Travel method: Southwest
    Resort: Camelot Inn (Off-site)
    Accommodations: Standard
    Ages Represented in Group: Adult
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Veteran
    Comments: Time to see the new Star Wars Galaxy's Edge!
    Cast of characters:
    • Pam, 58: trip planner/writer/self-proclaimed Disney Queen!
    • James, 59: Pam's hubby who likes Disneyland but is not as fanatic as Pam!

The Planning

James' Deluxe AP + MaxPass expired in April, but fortunately, I had purchased another Deluxe AP with MaxPass on the Disneyland website back in October 2018 BEFORE the latest price increase in January ($804; it just needs to be activated by 10-13-19), so we came up with September 28th – October 2nd and I started the planning!

Lodging: I booked a One-Bedroom Family Suite in June at the Camelot Inn & Suites on Harbor Blvd. (a less than 10-minute walk from the parks); our sleeping habits are so different nowadays that this arrangement works very well for us (James could stay up as late as he needed to and I wouldn't disturb him when I left early for the parks each morning!), although it is a lot more expensive. 

Transportation: I booked airfare on Southwest Airlines from Sacramento to Orange County for both of us using points. I also made reservations with SuperShuttle for travel to/from our motel in Anaheim.

Tickets: I have an active Deluxe AP + MaxPass and we will activate James' after we arrive.

Priority Seating: I made four dining reservations for our visit; the rest will be counter-service:
    • September 30: Blue Bayou @ 11:30am & World of Color Dessert Party @ 9:15pm (me only; I will pick up a FastPass for James)
    • October 1: Hungry Bear Fantasmic Dining Package @ 3pm (James only; I will pick up a FastPass for me) & Oga's Cantina @ 4:55pm

The Itinerary

The pre-planning was done and here was the result:
    • September 28: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Camelot Inn; possible DL/DCA
    • September 29: Disneyland/DCA
    • September 30: Disneyland/DCA; lunch @ Blue Bayou & World of Color Dessert Party (1)
    • October 1: Disneyland/DCA; Fantasmic Dining Package (1) & Oga's Cantina
    • October 2: Check-out of the Camelot Inn; fly home in the afternoon

Friday, September 27, 2019 (1 day before departure)

Actual: I took a buy-out at work on July 1st, so no work for me today! However, I did print off our boarding passes (A22 & A23) and also went to Subway to get James his veggie foot-long sandwich for tomorrow.

We spent the day getting ready (last-minute house cleaning & packing) & watching a little TV, and I was in bed around 10pm; James fell asleep much later than that as usual!

Saturday, September 28, 2019 (74o)
    Plan: Fly down in the afternoon; check-in to the Camelot Inn; possible DL/DCA

Actual: We left the house around 2:40pm and encountered heavy traffic near the 50/99 interchange, so we took 12th Avenue over to I-5 to bypass it (no problems after that). When we went to park in the Economy Lot, we were shocked to get an end spot in section Q40 (near the exit), as we ALWAYS park in what we call "the back 40" of the lot!

We barely got our gear out of the car when the shuttle arrived and took us to our terminal; I checked our big bag in and we had no wait in the TSA-Pre line (the regular line was pretty light as well).

I went to fill our reusable water bottle and James sat down to eat his sandwich around 3:45pm (I'd eaten at home); later we went down to our gate to wait for our flight. We boarded and got our favorite seats in the exit rows and had an on-time departure at 5pm.

We had our regular snacks of Diet Dr. Pepper (Pam), ginger ale (James), and pretzels during the not-too-full flight and landed a few minutes early around 6:10pm at Orange County . We picked up our checked bag and hiked up to the SuperShuttle kiosk to check-in; we had a long wait for our van to arrive and were finally on our way around 7pm.

We were dropped off at the Camelot Inn around 7:30pm, checked in, and hauled our gear to our room. We took a few minutes to get situated, then walked down to The Pizza Press. I got in line and James continued down to CVS (Katella) to get a gallon of water (MUCH cheaper than at The Cove Market!).

I ordered the yummy Press Cheese pizza for me, plus two identical Publish Your Own pizzas (mostly veggie with no cheese) for James and a soda for us to share. James arrived in time to eat with me, and then he took all of the leftovers back to the room around 8:30pm, while I headed to Disneyland.

I went through security and then sat down to wait for James to catch up with me; we went to the ticket booth to activate his pass, and were told they had just shut that side down and we'd have to go over to the Downtown Disney side! James took off and missed the part where the CM added that they were really busy over there and we could just go straight to the turnstile with our AP paperwork and get the permanent pass the next day, so I had to go after him to tell him (Mr. Fast Walker)!!!

We went through the DL turnstile, James got his temporary pass, and we were inside around 9pm; Main Street was, of course, VERY crowded, since it was a Saturday and people were lining the streets waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade to arrive!

James walked through Disneyana and I found a seat on a bench outside the store; the parade arrived a few minutes later and we enjoyed it from afar. I checked the app and there were no MaxPass selections available in the near future for us to use, so we left the park after the parade was done.

We stopped at The Cove Market, where I picked up a couple of postcards ($2.05), and we were back in our room around 9:30pm. James watched TV & ate some of his pizza leftovers, while I got us all unpacked and moved in; I showered and was in bed around 11:30pm, but James didn't get to sleep until 4:30am (this is the main reason we sleep in separate rooms nowadays!!!).

WE’RE HERE!!!

Steps: 11,128

Sunday, September 29, 2019 (74o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA

Actual:

• My alarm was set for 6:30am, but I was awake at 5:30am!
    • Had a protein shake & a slice of my leftover pizza; got ready; out the door @ 7:20am; short lines at security

• Inside DL just before 8am and found out that you can no longer cut through the stores on the east side of Main Street until after rope drop!
    • After rope drop, I stopped at the Plaza Inn to see if they had any same-day reservations for the MSEP Dining Package; they did so I booked the latest seating time of 3pm
    • MaxPass for Star Tours @ 8:06am = 8:30am (next MP = 8:36am)
    • (Hyper) Space Mountain via the accessible entrance 3 times in a row, since no one was waiting after each ride ~ YAY!!!

• MP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad @ 8:37am = 9am (next = 9:07am)
    • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (walk-on; no score on photo)
    • ST with MP via the accessible entrance @ 8:50am ~ I WAS THE REBEL SPY!!! It also had my favorite ride components: Kylo Ren, Jakku, Poe Dameron, & Crait/Batuu!
    • Picked up a return time for Alice in Wonderland @ 9:06 = 9:16am
    • Rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Toady), Snow White's Scary Adventures, & then Alice through their respective exits via their accessible vehicles (they have a rail along the seat back & the side of the seat also goes down; both help me get in to & out of the vehicle more easily)
    • MP for Indiana Jones Adventure @ 9:30am = 10:45am (next = 10:15am)
    • BTMR with MP via the accessible entrance through the ride exit
    • Entered Batuu via the middle entrance and walked around trying to figure out where Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run was located (they don't have easy-to-read signage within the land, so as not to distract from the atmosphere)

• Finally found SR and asked a CM at the entrance if there were stairs in the Single Rider queue; she said there were, so I said I guess I won't be able to ride since it would be too hard to stand in a 45min queue (which it would be with my knees & feet; it's not so bad that I need a wheelchair & I can usually endure shorter waits) & walked away; she called me back and let me enter through a middle entrance (which is a long ramp and runs aside the regular queue; this may be the future MP queue)
    • I thanked her profusely and eventually merged in with the regular queue; I was assigned a Pilot position with a lady and her 4 kids; she was the other Pilot and our crew was terrible! I could barely hear Hondo give orders because everyone was laughing & screaming so much! I was the left Pilot and the control had so much play in it; we were crashing into everything between me and this other lady! I liked the extra leg room, but got quite nauseous being so close to the screen and from all of the excess motion; I don't think Hondo paid us anything for whatever cargo we DID deliver ~ LOL!!!

• After we exited, I decided to cancel my Indy MP, as I was way too nauseous to attempt THAT ride at the moment!
    • MP for Soarin' Around the World @ 10:27am = 10:50am (next = 10:57am)
    • I needed some nourishment, so I went to the Little Red Wagon (which was ALREADY open) and got a corn dog, chips, & large Diet Coke; I sat behind the wagon to enjoy my food and rest ~ I also messaged back & forth with Juanita about some Halloween merchandise she wanted me to get for her
    • MP for Guardians of the Galaxy @ 10:58am = 11:40am (next = 11:40am)
    • Stopped at Main Street Photo Supply to add my Space ride photos to my AP (they've removed the photo kiosks & this is the only way to get the photo numbers if you miss them on the monitors, which I do when I ride the accessible vehicle)
    • Shopped along Main Street looking for the Halloween mug Juanita wanted (she'd seen it last year, but they apparently didn't release it again this year; however, I did find the plastic poison apple mug at the fruit cart and made a mental note to get it for her later)

To be continued...
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

2. # ADS

Sunday, September 29, 2019 (74o) ~ Part II

Actual:

• Over to Disney California Adventure @ 11:15am
    • Soarin' with MP @ 11:25am (B2)
    • Guardians with MP @ 12:05pm (We Want the Funk)

• Mickey's PhilharMagic @ 12:55pm
    • Shopped along Buena Vista Street, then over to DL around 1:30pm
    • Stopped at Guest Services for an "I'm Celebrating" (retirement!) button and an updated accessible guidebook
    • Shopped some more along Main Street
    • Called James twice; he answered around 2:15pm and I let him know about our reservation at the Plaza Inn at 3pm; sat down behind the corn dog wagon to rest and wait for James to arrive
    • Checked in at the Plaza Inn around 3:25pm, got our lanyards, and found a table
    • James got hung up with long lines at both security and the ticket booth (to get his updated AP), and finally arrived around 4:15pm!!!
    • We got our food (way too much for the two of us) and ate whatever we could
    • MP for Buzz @ 4:30pm = 5:20pm (next = 5:20pm)
    • Left the Plaza Inn and got a return time for Peter's Pan Flight @ 5pm = 5:40pm
    • Went to the AP Corner inside Star Wars Launch Bay and got the AP Halloween magnet (they were out of pins), then we stood in a very long line to do the AP photo opportunity upstairs!

• Darth Vader Chase Disney Visa meet & greet

• Buzz with MP @ 6:10pm [James = 646,100 (#95) & Pam = 393,800]

• Peter Pan via the exit
    • Alice was down, so we rode Toad, Snow White, & Pinocchio's Daring Journey in each attraction's accessible vehicle via each ride exit
    • Got a return time for the Jungle Cruise @ 6:52pm = 7:07pm
    • Shopped around the Adventureland Bazaar, then rode the JC via the exit with Skipper Hillary aboard the Kissimmee Kate
    • Pirates of the Caribbean (standby = 20mins; very bratty kid in front of us!)
    • Headed back down Main Street to the MSEP reserved parade area in Town Square; I had requested a seat for me when I checked in at the Plaza Inn, but the CMs hadnt received the message; James went over to the shops while I waited for them to decide what to do (bring a chair over, etc.); they ultimately moved us to some roped off benches along Town Square facing the parade exit gate ~ fantastic viewing!!!
    • MSEP began by it's a small world at 8:40pm, and showed up by us around 9pm ~ so wonderful to see it again!

To be continued...
    Pam
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Sunday, September 29, 2019 (74o) ~ Part III

Actual:

• More MSEP photos

• Left DL after the parade ended; stopped at McDonald's around 9:30pm for BOGO Artisan Chicken sandwiches, 2 plain double hamburgers, and a large Diet Dr. Pepper; they took a long time to customize James' food and they ended up giving me my food twice (early on and then later with James')!
    • Finally, back in our room around 10pm; we ate and watched some TV; I was in bed around 11:30pm, with James sometime a lot later!

Steps: 20,739
    Pam

Monday, September 30, 2019 (74o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; lunch @ Blue Bayou & World of Color Dessert Party (1)

Actual:

• My alarm was set for 6:50am today; had a protein shake & a leftover burger; got ready; out the door @ 7:55am; long lines at the turnstiles
    • Into DCA & got a MP for World of Color for James to use tonight (BLUE section)
    • MP for Guardians @ 8:10am = 8:20am (next = 8:40am)
    • Guardians standby (15mins) = "I Want You Back"
    • Guardians standby #2 @ 8:35am = "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    • MP for Soarin' @ 8:50am = 9:05am (next = 9:20am)
    • Guardians #3, this time with MP @ 9:05am = "I Want You Back"

• MP for ST @ 9:25am = 9:35am (next = 9:50am)
    • Monsters Inc. (5mins)
    • Soarin' with MP @ 9:45am
    • MP for Buzz @ 10:09am = 10:15am (next = 10:39am)
    • Over to DL
    • ST with MP @ 10:20am (Darth Vader, Hoth, Admiral Ackbar, & Naboo) via the accessible entrance
    • Buzz with MP @ 10:50am (473,600 = #42)

• Met up with James around 11:15am at the Blue Bayou (waterside table); we each had the Roasted Chicken Maison with their yummy au gratin potatoes, plus I had a Diet Coke and James had a mint julep
    • Left BB @ noon and looked around the New Orleans Square stores
    • MP for Toy Story Midway Mania @ 12:08pm = 3:45pm (next = 1:08pm)
    • Got a return time for Haunted Mansion Holiday @ 12:10pm = 12:45pm
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (standby = 15mins), followed by browsing Pooh Corner
    • Walked over to Star Wars Galaxy Edge so James could see it for the first time; purchased two SWGE reusable bags for 3.23 "credits" in the marketplace and later a metal magnet from the Droid Depot (12.6 credits)

• On our way out, we purchased the collectible drink bottles that look like a thermal detonator (as seen on Return of the Jedi) from a beverage cart (one each for Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, & Dasani) for 22.25 credits
    • MP for Buzz @ 1:20pm = 2:25pm (next = 2:25pm)
    • Haunted Mansion Holiday via the accessible entrance
    • Disneyland Railroad via the accessible entrance from NOS to Main Street
    • Decided to take a break, so I cancelled both the Buzz & the TSMM MPs
    • MP for TSMM @ 2:53pm = 7:10pm (next = 3:23pm)
    • James left for the room, while I shopped at the Emporium (Trick or Treat glitter tank top), Disney Clothiers (Disney cat leggings), and the Main Street Fruit Cart (two poison apple mugs for Juanita)
    • Left DL and stopped at Cold Stone Creamery for an Oreo milkshake
    • Back in the room around 3:10pm for a break; drank my shake & updated my trip notes, before dozing off & on
    • MP for Soarin' @ 3:30pm = 8:40pm (next = 5pm)

To be continued...
    Pam

Monday, September 30, 2019 (74o) ~ Part II
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; lunch @ Blue Bayou & World of Color Dessert Party (1)

Actual:

• Left for DCA around 6:30pm
    • Went to the AP sneak peek of the new "Maleficent" movie (very good!)
    • Walked back to ride TSMM, but it was down so we rode Jessie's Critter Carousel instead (10mins)

• TSMM came back up, so we rode the accessible vehicle with MP around 7:30pm (Pam = 167,100 & James = 201,100)

• No one was waiting when we came back, so we rode again (Pam = 155,900 & James = 189,000); lots of problems with the ride, as it stopped multiple times

• Soarin' with MP @ 8:40pm
    • I went to the World of Color Dessert Party @ 9:15pm...

• ...and James rode Radiator Springs Racers twice via the Single Rider queue

• World of Color @ 10pm (James used the MP on my AP to watch from the BLUE section) ~ lots of leftovers!

• Enjoyed the sound effects at the Headless Horseman statue
    • Shopped at Elias & Co. (DL purse & attraction mini-backpack)
    • DCA closed, so back to the motel around 11pm
    • Usual nighttime stuff; in bed around 12am (James much later!)

Steps: 22,512
    Pam

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 (75o)
    Plan: Disneyland/DCA; Fantasmic Dining Package (1) & Oga's Cantina

Actual:

• I was awake around 6am, but didn't get up until 6:40am (my early mornings & late evenings are catching up with me!); had a protein shake & a slice of my leftover pizza; got ready; out the door @ 7:40am; short lines at both security & the turnstiles
    • Into DL & got a MP for Fantasmic! for me to use tonight (James has the picnic package)
    • MP for RSR @ 8am = 9am (next = 9am)
    • ST (walk-on) via the accessible entrance = Kylo Ren, Jakku, Poe Dameron, & Crait/Batuu
    • Space @ 8:25am via the accessible vehicle; rode twice because the ride went down during the first ride (forgot to add the photos at the Camera Center afterwards though!)
    • Buzz (walk-on); no picture again
    • MP for Guardians @ 9:02am = 9:05am (next = 9:05am)
    • Over to DCA
    • Guardians (walk-on) = "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    • RSR with MP via the accessible vehicle @ 9:40am (Luigi/tire side)

• Guardians #2 with MP @ 10:12am = "I Want You Back"

• Mickey pretzel & Diet Coke from the cart by Guardians; sat down to eat and take a break
    • MP for Guardians @ 10:57am = 11:20am (next = 11:27am)
    • Frozen @ 11am
    • Decided to skip Guardians; shopped at Elias & Co. (Best Day Ever shirt)
    • Back to room around 12:30pm for a break; James up around 2:20pm
    • Back to DL around 2:45pm (short lines at both security and the parks)
    • I rode the train over to NOS, while James walked through the crowds
    • Met back up & got a return time for HMH around 3:20pm = 4pm
    • Went to Hungry Bear Restaurant for James to get his Fantasmic! On-the-Go Picnic Dining Package (veggie skewer option + tea); I also got a plain burger, fries, & large Coke Zero
    • Pooh (5mins)
    • HMH around 4:15pm via the accessible entrance
    • Got a return time for BTMR around 4:37pm = 5:12pm
    • Oga's Cantina @ 4:40pm; I had the Hyperdrive (Punch It!)

• ...James had the Jabba Juice...

• and we shared the Batuu Bits

• ...I also took some photos while there, as this probably won't be a regular thing with us

• BTMR around 5:30pm with MP via the accessible entrance through the ride exit
    • MP for Indy @ 5:38pm = 7:25pm (next = 7:08pm)
    • Back to ride Smuggler's Run in SWGE; we considered going through the standby queue to see everything, but I wasn't up to standing for the 35mins so James went via the SR queue & I asked to take the ramp again; we were both Engineers in our respective crews (much less nauseous for me!)
    • Met back up & took photos in front of the Millennium Falcon

• Got a return time for Peter @ 6:14pm = 6:29pm
    • Went over to ride Buzz; standby listed as 15mins but a LONG line so skipped!
    • Back to Fantasyland to ride Toad (Cyril) and then Peter via their respective exits in their accessible vehicles
    • Requested a return time for Alice and the CM welcomed us right in via the exit (Magic Moment!)
    • Discussed next steps; James was cranky about us not doing the full queue at Smuggler's Run & now says he doesn't want to see Fantasmic!, even though we'd paid for him to see it (#$@&^$##$)
    • Rode the Disneyland Monorail full circle (me very upset)
    • MP for Buzz @ 7:10pm = 7:20pm (next = 7:41pm)
    • Watched the Villains Dance Party for a bit (Evil Queen, Maleficent, Captain Hook, Smee, Lady Tremaine, & her daughters were mingling within the crowd)
    • Buzz with MP @ 7:45pm (James = 505,300 & Pam = 74,500; I'm still upset & now I'm ticked over my bad score!)
    • MP for Buzz @ 8pm = 8:10pm (next = 8:20pm)
    • Indy with MP via the accessible entrance = very busy & I'm getting very tired!!!
    • I went to the accessible seating outside of the River Belle Terrace to wait for Fantasmic! and James rode Buzz twice using both my & his MP (#1 = 563,200 & #2 = 270,300)
    • I watched Fantasmic! at 9pm, followed by the Halloween Screams Fireworks at 9:30pm; James stood along the RBT wall behind me to watch both, then he tried to beat the crowd headed towards Main Street
    • Used the Mobile Order in the app for the Refreshment Corner = hot dog combo, as I expected a longer line when I got there; picked up my food & met up with James at Disneyana
    • Said goodbye to Uncle Walt and left DL for this trip
    • Stopped at McD's for the BOGO Artisan Chicken sandwiches & 2 double burgers around 10:25pm
    • Back to the motel around 10:40pm; I stopped at the lobby to request a late check-out of 12pm tomorrow
    • We both ate some food, did the usual nighttime stuff, & I was in bed around 11:30pm (James much later)

Steps: 24,385

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 (82o)
    Plan: Check-out of the Camelot Inn; fly home in the afternoon

Actual:

• Awake around 7:45am; watched TV and was up by 9:30am (James around 10am); we finished off the leftover food & packed
    • Checked out of the Camelot Inn @ 11:55am
    • SuperShuttle picked us up 15mins early at 12:10pm and dropped us off at the airport
    • Printed off our boarding passes (A47 & A48) and checked in our large suitcase and our small suitcase (used a tote bag as the new carry-on instead of the small suitcase)
    • Through TSA-Pre by 1pm; bought wallet & shoulder purse at the CNN Newsstand
    • Carl's Jr. @ 1:16pm = Chicken Green Burrito (James), cheese quesadilla (Pam), & a medium Coke Zero (shared)
    • Full flight on time both departure & landing (3:05pm/4:40pm)
    • I had Diet Dr. Pepper & pretzels and James had ginger ale & pretzels during the flight
    • We got our bags off of the carousel & then took the shuttle to the Economy Lot & paid for parking
    • Since it was in the middle of the evening commute, we stopped at the nearby In-N-Out Burger for burgers, a fry & Diet Coke to wait for some of it to clear
    • Picked up some bananas at Safeway & battled the remaining traffic to drive home

Steps: 7,193

Up Next: James & I are scheduled to go back together at the end of January 2020 for his 60th birthday!

Summary: We were pleased to see Star Wars Galaxy Edge, since it was new to us; the theming is just fantastic & we will be happy to use FastPass/MaxPass if it is ever added. I was also especially happy to see the Main Street Electrical Parade again!!!

Highlights include:

• Being at Disneyland together again!
    • Seeing the new Star Wars land & riding Smuggler's Run for the first time!
    • Seeing the Main Street Electrical Parade again!
    • FINALLY being the Rebel Spy on Star Tours!!!
    • MAXPASS (I can't stress this enough)!!!
    • Riding our favorite rides multiple times: (Hyper) Space Mountain & Guardians of the Galaxy for me, and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters & Radiator Springs Racers for James!
    • Great weather (not too hot)!

Lowlights include:

• James mood on the last night
    • The email-your-photo process at the end of Buzz not working half the time
    • The crowds (will they ever go away?)
    • My sore feet as always

Until next time...hope you enjoyed it!
    Pam

Great trip as usual Pam, even James’ bad mood. Thanks for sharing!
    Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by EJ4Disney View Post
    Great trip as usual Pam, even James’ bad mood. Thanks for sharing!
    Ellen
    Thanks Ellen! At least he was only cranky for a couple of hours ~ LOL!
    Pam

I always look forward to your trip reports, thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Nettfrankie View Post
    I always look forward to your trip reports, thank you for sharing!
    Thank you so much for saying so! Next trip in 2 weeks, but it takes me awhile to write them...
    Pam

I can't wait to read about it, have a magical trip!

Great to see your smiling face in the photos as always! Hope the January trip went well and look forward to the report!

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Great to see your smiling face in the photos as always! Hope the January trip went well and look forward to the report!
    Thanks Kelly...it did! James hit #1 on Buzz on his birthday so he was very happy (LOL) plus we each got on Rise of the Resistance once! I've booked the next trip in early May (before the Grad Nites start) and now need to find the time to sit down and write the January trip so it can get posted!!!
    Pam