Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Thinking of Switching to Flex Pass from SoCal

Thinking of Switching to Flex Pass from SoCal

We've had the grandfathered SoCal annual pass for years, but the blackouts have gotten to be too much and it seem like we are never able to go when we used to. So we are thinking of switching to the Flex for the same price. We renewed back in October. Does anyone know how you make the switch from SoCal pass to Flex mid-year? Can it be done online? Has anyone regretted making the switch? Thanks!!

2. # ADS

I'm curious about Flex too. Has anyone had trouble with getting reservations for the days you want to visit? It's a big price jump from Flex to the Signature Passport with so few block out dates (Deluxe has so many blocked out weekends it doesn't make sense for us, I don't think).

Friends have said that the calendar can be pretty dynamic. So even though a date looks sold out, if you keep checking, cancellations can open up. So, like with dining reservations on the app, don't give up, keep checking back for your date, and be ready to grab that date if it opens up! The recent rains affected dates like that -- cancellations opened up as people cancelled their trips. Otherwise, my friends haven't had any trouble getting the dates they wanted.

It really depends how often you go. If it's once a week or multiple times over the summer, you can only reserve two days at a time.

This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but last week they could not tell if anyone had a reservation at the turnstile. They had to call leads to each turnstile so that each person could show proof of their reservation. It was the longest I've ever been held up at the gate, and I've had bigger issues come up before.

Thanks for this—I've been trying to figure out if the limit of two reservations per 30 days meant two days. Took me quite a while to find this on the DL website. We come down from the Bay Area, and so we tend to stay for long weekends. Given that, the two day limit could be problematic, so I'll have to do some number crunching to see if it makes sense.

Good to have the info about the turnstile wait, too. That's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by czarina68 View Post
    Thanks for this—I've been trying to figure out if the limit of two reservations per 30 days meant two days. Took me quite a while to find this on the DL website. We come down from the Bay Area, and so we tend to stay for long weekends. Given that, the two day limit could be problematic, so I'll have to do some number crunching to see if it makes sense.

Good to have the info about the turnstile wait, too. That's a bummer.
    I think it is two days at a time, but as soon as you use your first day, you can reserve another for your next trip. At least that's the way trip reports have been reading. So if your trip dates cover good to go days and reservation days, you could do several days in a row without needing all your days to be reservation days. And you can reserve the next day you need as soon as you use your first reservation day. There are threads on other boards where people with the Flex Pass have already become pros at reserving dates. It's pretty impressive.

we are thinking about getting a flex pass this year too. Seems like it makes pretty good sense for us. We typically do a Sunday - Tuesday trip and I think it would work good

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

I'm planning two trips, each with reservation-only weekends. One is in January has three reservation days in a row and the other in May-June has four reservation days in a row. It's a little scary to get the Flex Pass and book DL hotels when it's not guaranteed that we'll be able to book the passes for the extra days...

I'll look around to see if I can find those Flex Pass threads elsewhereI could use some pointers! It'd certainly be nice to save, compared to the Signature Pass. Just looking at its cost is giving me sticker shock, lol!

ETA: Just read this article that explains it nicely. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/1...***-right-now/

Last edited by czarina68; 12-07-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: adding link

I'm planning two trips, each with reservation-only weekends. One is in January has three reservation days in a row and the other in May-June has four reservation days in a row. It's a little scary to get the Flex Pass and book DL hotels when it's not guaranteed that we'll be able to book the passes for the extra days...

I'll look around to see if I can find those Flex Pass threads elsewhere—I could use some pointers! It'd certainly be nice to save, compared to the Signature Pass. Just looking at its cost is giving me sticker shock, lol!

ETA: Just read this article that explains it nicely. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing. https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/1...***-right-now/
    If you are considering between the Flex Pass and Signature Plus - keep in mind that you can always upgrade to a more expensive pass. So if you budget with the expectation that you will need a Signature Pass, and are able to use the Flex Pass instead all year, then you can bank the extra amount for next year's passes If it was Flex Pass vs. tickets, that does become more complicated.

You should be able to book two days in a row, if you make the reservation when it first opens. So far, most days have been open for reservations at California Adventure, even after Disneyland was full.

And, of course, there is lots of other things to do in Southern California if it turns out that the Flex Pass is fully booked.

I wouldn't go by an article from August. Many more people have switched since then. There is no reason to believe that Disney has increased the number of reservations availa me. There is no way to know that it hasn't decreased.

I've decided that it's worth a try with Flex Pass. We'll see how it goes! Thanks everyone for weighing in.

I've decided that it's worth a try with Flex Pass. We'll see how it goes! Thanks everyone for weighing in.
    OP here. I switched to Flex after much internal debate. Well see how things go with making reservations, but SoCal pass seems too limiting for our lives right now. Plus feeling pressured to always renew or lose a pass with slowly dwindling days just doesnt make sense to me anymore.