Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: holidays and Christmas at Disneyland 2019

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think resort decorative services went totally bonkers and said "we need something TOTALLY different - we've had the same decorations for so long" and they gave us neon trees. I dont mind them but its out of place for Disney IMO.

Im glad the tree is up in the GCH. Time to go back and sit there with a drink.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Would love to go out for the holidays. And really just do not like the crowds however!

Ready for 2020!

I think I read that you can mobile order the Sip and Savor portions, too. We will try this on our next visit.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    I think I read that you can mobile order the Sip and Savor portions, too. We will try this on our next visit.
    Where did you read that, and was it somewhere official? Because the husband and I were just commenting that while you can normally mobile order at Paradise Garden Grill, it doesn't seem like they'd be able to do that with the sip and savor because you have to pay when you order. Unless they make the order and then take your tab when you pick up your food.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    I just tried the mobile order for Paradise Garden Grill, and I didn't see a way to order a Sip and Savor portion of the pozole.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I just tried the mobile order for Paradise Garden Grill, and I didn't see a way to order a Sip and Savor portion of the pozole.
    Is there somewhere to get a list of what each location has?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Is there somewhere to get a list of what each location has?
    DCA Foodie Guide
    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...dventure-park/

Disneyland Foodie Guide
    https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...sneyland-park/

DIsneyland.com site info
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/din...-marketplaces/
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what the AP photo opp looks like for IASWH this week? I'm curious if it's some backdrop to the side or if it's on ride. Also if u can just do the photo opp without the ride.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Where did you read that, and was it somewhere official?...
    It was on Gothic Rosie's IG page. She said that she saw the option at the bottom of one of the Mobile Order pages and she was going to try it -- or something like that. I don't think it was at Paradise Garden Grill, though.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Does anyone know what the AP photo opp looks like for IASWH this week? I'm curious if it's some backdrop to the side or if it's on ride. Also if u can just do the photo opp without the ride.

We were at the park yesterday, but didn't stay for this -- the rain had started sporadically and we didn't want to get stuck in it. I asked a cast member at Small World what the photo op was, and she said they had some backdrops set up in front of the attraction, but that they had also pulled out one of the floats from the Christmas Fantasy parade and were having people do photos up close in front of that. Not sure if it's the same float every night, but she said Monday it was the gingerbread float.

Went to experience all the Christmas and Festival of Holidays fun yesterday! I love all the decorations, as usual. The trees and Cars Land and Main Street... just make me happy.

We also went into the Grand Californian to check out the gingerbread house. It took us a bit of time, but we found all 25 hidden Mickeys, hooray!

I was not all that impressed with Festival of Holidays this year, but I went with a friend who is more of a meat-itarian, and he enjoyed most things he tried. I'm a mostly vegetarian (read: really picky and mostly don't eat meat that isn't cooked at home) and the vegetarian offerings list was just sad -- six things total, and two of them were cookies. I felt like quite a few things could've been modified to offer a meat or vegetarian version of the dish without much extra effort (chorizo fundido? the taco?). I really enjoyed the mimosa flight (pomegranate is the best) and the churro yule log though. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the churro shake and the gingerbread ice cream sandwich at Schmoozies (yes, I had a lot of desserts...). That gingerbread ice cream sandwich might just be my favorite Disney food of all time.

We also went to Cafe Orleans and were very impressed -- I don't think I've eaten there in the last ten years, and now I'm not sure why. We split a starter salad, pomme frites (garlic parmesan, mmmmm), and the three-cheese monte cristo, which was really awesome. We wanted to get the hot chocolate beignets too, but were stuffed despite having split the main entree.

I was really happy with the crowd level yesterday! Very light all day. I'll be back again December 15, and I imagine it'll be very different that day...

Shortpix77, agree that it seems disappointing this year just from reading the offerings. For both my husband and I, we can't eat anything with cilantro in it so that threw a bunch of dishes out right there. I'm picky in general (unlike him) about different things. We are going over this weekend. We have been to busy the last 2 weekends so finally a free day.

I LOVE the three cheese monte cristo more so then the regular version. To me it doesn't feel as heavy. Whenever my friend visits we always plan a couple days so we have both versions on different days to split. Glad you had a good time!

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    We were at the park yesterday, but didn't stay for this -- the rain had started sporadically and we didn't want to get stuck in it. I asked a cast member at Small World what the photo op was, and she said they had some backdrops set up in front of the attraction, but that they had also pulled out one of the floats from the Christmas Fantasy parade and were having people do photos up close in front of that. Not sure if it's the same float every night, but she said Monday it was the gingerbread float.
    I saw a video from fresh baked and they had the Seasons Greetings float from the parade and used the SWH facade as a main backdrop for those on the ride. Looks like lots of folks attended. David from FB was in line for attraction from 10 and didn't get tot he front of the photo opp until 1130

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I saw a video from fresh baked and they had the Seasons Greetings float from the parade and used the SWH facade as a main backdrop for those on the ride. Looks like lots of folks attended. David from FB was in line for attraction from 10 and didn't get tot he front of the photo opp until 1130

Wow, I'm glad we didn't stick around then. That would've been too long a wait for me for just a photo. Cool that they're offering things like this though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    ... pomme frites (garlic parmesan, mmmmm)...
    Try these at the S55 lounge next time your in that area at dinner time -- yum! Don't remember if there was parmesan, but they definitely were garlic fries!

Blog Entries

I did the AP photo op tonight. I think the earlier rain scared some folks away. They did not bring out any floats. Just props - a giant Santa sack filled with acorns and a candy cane (but no chip sale) and the ride facade. Two photo ops and the ride in about an 45 min - with about 45 of waiting before (no fireworks tonight). An AP magnet or button like for Halloween would have been great but to walk down Main St., Almost deserted, with only the Christmas music playing.... That was the payoff for me.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    The gingerbread house in the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel is finished. Smells great and it's cute, and the husband even found a hidden Mickey on the roof of the house.

We were able to try a few things from the Festival of Holidays food booths. Having so many fewer options really affected how I felt about it. It wasn't nearly as exciting, and I don't think that was because having food festivals at DCA is a fairly common occurrence now. I really felt the lack of vegetable offerings. The husband had the pork al pastor naan taco without the extras because he doesn't like cilantro. I'll probably have the regular version at some point. The turkey and stuffing tamale was just as good as last year. The holiday stuffing mac and cheese was good too. I thought I remembered that there were two different mac and cheese offerings last year, but I couldn't remember what the second one was. I really enjoyed the curried cauliflower and chicken dish, but I actually would have liked it better as a vegetarian dish, with tofu instead of chicken. I really enjoyed the chana masala dish from last year and am sad they didn't bring that back.

There are dishes at Cocina Cucamonga, Paradise Garden Grill and Smokejumpers that we want to try at some point as well.

Had a look at the beautiful Christmas tree at DCA and I saw this really cute Mickey and Minnie ornament.

And I was happy to see that the wreaths on Main Street at Disneyland are finally up. Those are my favorite things.

I noticed it was really crowded at both DCA and Disneyland yesterday, much more crowded than I expected for a Saturday, even this time of year.

We were there yesterday as well. It wasn't bad in the morning at all. Pretty decent but we figured at as the day went on it would pick up. As it did pick up in DL we left for DCA. Husband ended up taking daughter home in the afternoon and I stayed with son to use the FP we had for Soarin and Racers. Ended up trying the fried turkey slider. It was ok. I don't like cranberry sauce so had it without that and forgot how much I don't care for their slaw so just pushed it off. Also had the caramelized apple cake and really liked that.

BTW, I don't know who decided to NOT open up the back ways last night before the parade but we were trying to leave DL and go back to DCA when we got to Main St and it was a stand still for about 5 mins outside the Candy Palace. I am sure it was because of all the people that were going through the Candy Palace all the way to Carnation Cafe. Poor CM tried to get in the middle to handle things and was just stuck as well trying to move. Felt bad for him. We were able to finally get out of that mess when we got past Carnation Cafe though we were able to go out into the middle of Main St so we found that opening and went out. I was surprised they were letting guests use those places to go through with as many as there was. RSR FP was backed up when we got there. Once through the line was almost where the scanners are. It was slow moving for a bit too. I noticed that when I got my couple of food items at the different booths they were backed up with lines when it came to getting your food. One lady was standing outside the sliders booth and helping give out the dishes. She was giving some their dishes before others though that ordered the same things. Could tell she was overwhelmed. The one with the apple cake, it seemed like if you got the food item it was quick but getting drinks it took longer. LOL

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I was at DL both between 11am and 130pm and briefly between 730pm and 830pm. The evening was definitely jammed. DTD was packed with people and it seemed the food service locations were swamped and could not keep up with orders. Even during the midday I noticed the staff in some spots trying to keep calm while folks were clamoring for their food. Stage Door had a long backup on corndogs and funnel cakes. I guess some of the advertising is working - lots of people coming to see the Holidays (and not all APs)

My husband and son went to get food at Stage Door for lunch. He said that the line for mobile orders was backed up. Its not how we did it but it was crazy. Our daughter wanted to eat at Pizza Port so took her and the only thing we had to wait for was cheese pizza because one slice was sitting there. Yet no wait to pay and found a seat easily. They came over after they got their food to eat with us. It is the holidays so it wasn't surprising that it would be crowded at some point like it was. I do feel for the CMs having to deal with it though and how frazzled some seemed because of backups on things. Hopefully people will remember to bring their patience with them.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I have a new favorite to add to the list - the reimagined beef wellington was SO good! Would love for them to bring that back for Food and Wine Festival in April. I also enjoyed the "not beef" shepherd's pie. We ended up ordering both at the same time, so it made for a nice looking plate.

We enjoyed the returning favorites of the pork belly and garlic fried rice and the shrimp and grits. We tried the loaded latke from Smokejumpers Grill, and I thought it was just ok. Later in the evening, the husband had the eggnog latte cheesecake from Jolly Holiday Bakery and enjoyed it. I skipped it.

For the second time, we tried to get the ham shank but they were out again. Maybe some day, we'll hit them when they actually have some. It means I didn't get to have the bourbon cider either.

When we rode Haunted Mansion Holiday, we ended up getting stopped in front of the ballroom, so I was able to get some decent pictures. This is the gingerbread house, this is the tree, and this is video of the ballroom.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Looks like u had a bench in town square.

We saw the first show yesterday, too, and enjoyed it very much! Met some great people in the crowd while waiting. So glad the weather cooperated.