Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Nightmare dark ride in SSL

Nightmare dark ride in SSL

Since Nightmare Before Christmas has proven to be such a draw, and has cult status amongst a hard-to-reach-Disney-demo, why not make a permanent Nightmare darkride out of Superstar Limo at DCA? - - If they really want such an alternative park, they should start aiming for it. One could start with the elements they already have for Haunted Mansion Holiday and add more cool stuff - -

Maybe Jack and friends invade Hollywood and they could use the sets already in SSL, but creep them out with an NBC storyline!

2. # ADS

It could be called "Jack's Holly-ween-wood Adventure!"
    I like this idea. Heck, I like any idea that gets SSL up and running.

It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond, that was rhetorical. -Glinda the Good
    Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it history. -The Wonderful Wizard
    My personal opinion is that you do not have what it takes. I hope you prove me wrong. I doubt you will. - Madame Morrible

Disneyland deserves its own birthday party, with real presents, and without having to share any glory with any other parks.

With a cookie for a heart

I like the idea to! Since they are going to stop the HMH w/ nightmare after next year to go to WDW, (I am not very happy about this) it would be great to have a permanent dark ride with NBC. SSL is one of the best places to put it too, expecially since it is kind of close to tower of terror it would really ad into the goth feel. I wonder what Tim Burton would think of a permanent ride of NBC, given the mixed way he feels about disney? It would be a great ride if it was done right, but I don't have my hopes up to much about anything cool happening around SSL in the next little while.

"Don't you ever wonder why nothing ever seems to change, and if it does its for the worst, seems it's just a modern curse"
    Danny Elfman

I like the idea too. It would be fun and nowhere near as scary as Super Star Limo!

[shudder]"And look everyone! It's Regis Philbin!"[/shudder]

Opus1guy

Ooh, I love it! A permanent NBC ride would be perfect after the overlays of HM were done. And as another poster said, putting it near TOT would add a spooky feel to DCA.

if the disney suits could just refer to this discussion boards for input on the parks, they would be pulling in some fat cash. with all the ideas that everyone has on here, you all could start your own park. i love hearing all of your input! keep using your imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    ...has cult status amongst a hard-to-reach-Disney-demo..
    The elusive Disney-loving-Goth demo? I hear their average park spend is through the roof!

j/k It's a good idea. And would be a nice creepy addition to the tower. I think one of MGM's key downfalls is the juxtaposition of RNR and TOT within 2 feet of eachother. At least it has the long que to get you in the mood...

Less angry than advertised
    Quote Originally Posted by genenpet
    The elusive Disney-loving-Goth demo? I hear their average park spend is through the roof!
    batsday.net

Kung Fu Superstar

If that happened, every person here would scream, "Bad Theming!" Admittedly, Jack Skellington doesn't really fit in too hot with the Hollywood theme. But should we lower our standards in that department to accomodate a better park? I think so. If I were to put a ride in place of the SSL, it would be an all-new version of the Great Movie Ride, with a NBC scene in it as well as all new parts. Just my opinion...

I AM THE KING OF NO PANTS

I think they could also do a good job transforming the entire Hollywood Pictures Backlot into Howl-ywood Pictures Backlot during October. Like people have said ToT fits into the spooky theme very well. The story could be that Jack and Friends have stumbled across Hollywood, which they think is called Howl-ywood, and have decided to make it their new home. (Of course, they decide to go back to Halloween Town at the end of November) It could have tons of decorations, a new sign, and NBC characters walking around. I was thinking that the theming would be sillier at the entrance of HPB, because Playhouse Disney is there, and you wouldn't want to scare the pre-schoolers. It would be more like comical pumpkins and Halloween stuff. As you get further in, closer to ToT, it could get a little spookier. Millionaire could have questions focusing on NBC and Halloween, or it could be rethemed as one of Oogie's gambling games, Sally (very friendly, of course) could be added to Playhouse Disney, Hyperion could have a show similar to the one at one of the HMH events, I believe called Oogie Boogie's Holiday Boo-lesque, and the Animation building could have special exhibits based on NBC and the special clay-mation technique used in NBC, as well as NBC scenes added to the movie reel. Lastly, SSL could be redone as a tour of Jack's Howl-ywood, as visitors marvel over the changes he has made. All of the "stars" in SSL could be replaced with AA NBC characters. Along with a little more work, like having Jack appear on the little screen in the limo instead of Swifty LaRue, and changing some of the sets, I think this could work nicely.

Anyone else like this idea?

Last edited by DefyingGravity; 05-26-2004 at 01:50 PM. Reason: new idea
    It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond, that was rhetorical. -Glinda the Good
    Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it history. -The Wonderful Wizard
    My personal opinion is that you do not have what it takes. I hope you prove me wrong. I doubt you will. - Madame Morrible

Disneyland deserves its own birthday party, with real presents, and without having to share any glory with any other parks.

So apparently I am the only one who hates The Nightmare Before Christmas? Terrible movie with great music. Not sure why the whole subject keeps coming up...but I am rejoicing at the loss of HMH. I would be more likely to ride Super Star Lameo than I would be to ride a Nightmare dark ride.

The king and his men, stole the queen from her bed and bound her in her Bones. The seas be ours and by the powers where we will, we'll roam.

But how can you replace SSL, when it has such amazingly great scenes as these:
    Long lost SSL photos

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOfTerror
    If that happened, every person here would scream, "Bad Theming!"
    How would a tie-in with a popular film like Nightmare Before Christmas be bad theming in the Hollywood Backlot section of the park?

Personally, I don't much care for the Nightmare Crowd Invades Hollywood theme, and would rather see the SSL building gutted for a true Nightmare dark ride rather than an SSL overlay. But either way, the themeing would be the most appropriate thing they've put in the park since it opened.

carpe diem
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    So apparently I am the only one who hates The Nightmare Before Christmas? Terrible movie with great music.
    Not to turn GD's "fists of death" on again or anything but I agree with you. I didn't really care for the movie. The songs were just okay to me.
    So, no, you're not the only one.

But in all fairness, I love Tim Burton's art direction in all of his movies. Very creepy.

A CM I spoke with on Sunday said that he heard there was a lot of talk about what was going into SSL's slot. He told me that he heard that the Animation Bldg was not going away to be replaced by a 'Rock n Rollercoaster' but that it was going in the SSL bldg instead. But as iSm said, it's all rumors...

I think a dark ride/rollercoaster a la The Mummy with an Aladdin theme should go there. That would be cool.

Wow those pictures were so bad! I was at a preview day for DCA and while in line for SSL it broke down, by the time I had my annual pass and was at the park more it was already shuttered. I guess I really didn't know what I was missing. I wonder if Cher was supposed to be a prostitute? What were they thinking

You can even see an EXIT sign in one of them, which made me laugh a bit.

Next trip to WDW December 10-17 Wilderness Lodge for the merriest trip ever!

Who do *you* think is America's Next Top Model?

New Disneyland Cast Member!!

Grrr Nightnare

I think it's stupid that they are taking HMH away from us. The one thing that I loved about it was the music and decorations. Why can't we just share the attraction with WDW? What's next, taking Small World Holiday away from us too?

New Disneyland Cast Member!!

It's not right!

ChatterBox Supreme
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Since Nightmare Before Christmas has proven to be such a draw, and has cult status amongst a hard-to-reach-Disney-demo, why not make a permanent Nightmare darkride out of Superstar Limo at DCA? - - If they really want such an alternative park, they should start aiming for it. One could start with the elements they already have for Haunted Mansion Holiday and add more cool stuff - -

Maybe Jack and friends invade Hollywood and they could use the sets already in SSL, but creep them out with an NBC storyline!

Pure Genius-

Quote Originally Posted by mbrady
    But how can you replace SSL, when it has such amazingly great scenes as these:
    Long lost SSL photos
    Thanks, mbrady! I've never been on that ride, and was curious as to what I had missed. Turns out, not a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    I wonder if Cher was supposed to be a prostitute? What were they thinking.
    Did you notice the dragon on the wall is checking her out?
    The king and his men, stole the queen from her bed and bound her in her Bones. The seas be ours and by the powers where we will, we'll roam.

SuperStar Limo. What in God's name was someone smoking?

I remember my first ride on that thing. We arrived at the unloading platform and I was speechless. I just stuttered to the Cast Member that was standing there, "Well. That was...ah, uh..." and before I could finish my sentence she just held out her hand, nodded knowingly and quietly whispered, "I know. I know."

You could tell she was embarrassed to have to work the position. Poor kid probably thought she was going to be working on a real Disney attraction.

Opus1guy

With a cookie for a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    But in all fairness, I love Tim Burton's art direction in all of his movies. Very creepy.
    Tim Burton was not the director of NBC, he just produced it. Henry Selick was the director. Selick was also the director of "James and the Giant Peach" and "Monkeybone", both of which use stop motion anamation just like what is used in NBC.

I have had some rather heated arguments about this little bit of trivia on other message boards, so if you ment that Tim Burton was the inspiration of NBC you are absolutely right, because he did most of the early conceptual art and came up with the back bone of the story while he was working as another faceless animator for Disney in the early 1980's.

But when it came to prodution on NBC Burton was working on other projects at the time and hardly even came on the set of NBC, makeing it Selick's movie more then Burton's even more. I am a huge Burton fan (so much so that I am going to his school this September! ), but I have never considered NBC to be much of a Burton flick, and therfore do not like it as much as the films Tim Burton himself has directed. The whole NBC croud has never been my thing, but I will be very sad to see HMH go, and a permanent NBC ride would be great. Anything is better then SSL.
    "Don't you ever wonder why nothing ever seems to change, and if it does its for the worst, seems it's just a modern curse"
    Danny Elfman