Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios by Chris Barry

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away Chris spent some time in the Walt Disney World version of Galaxy's Edge.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Hey Chris, I can't believe I am the first person to respond to you on this Top 5 column. Honestly I don't have a Star Wars Top 5. I was just curious as to whether attendance had picked up or was a it a huge miscalculation on Disney's part?
    I am looking forward to the new Mickey and Minnie Railroad ride. It all started with a Mouse.

Is it true theyve dumbed down the names of the food offerings because idiots thought they were really serving things like roasted yak? A friend told me she read this...

😬 Oops, just read about this in this weeks DL article! WDW dumbed down, DL unchanged for now.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Hey Chris, I can't believe I am the first person to respond to you on this Top 5 column. Honestly I don't have a Star Wars Top 5. I was just curious as to whether attendance had picked up or was a it a huge miscalculation on Disney's part?
    I am looking forward to the new Mickey and Minnie Railroad ride. It all started with a Mouse.
    I guess Galaxy's Edge has been analyzed to death so far online. We were there on Saturday night and Sunday morning. The Falcon pretty much started out the day at 55 minutes and stayed around 70-75 throughout each day as we checked. Does it do an awesome job of swallowing up guests so the wait times are pretty consistent? I believe so. That was my feeling. I never felt like I was standing in one place for too long. It seemed to keep moving and that wasn't because it wasn't crowd - it was. I also think the land is massive and also swallows up people and spreads them out.

I don't believe in the whole Disney miscalculated theory. Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises in movie history. Disney still packs in crowds pretty much all year long. We were at the Halloween party at MK on Tuesday night. It was sold out and it was jammed to the rafters. So, the natural assumption is that if you put the two things together...you've got a success. So, what did Disney miscalculate? I'm not sure what the "problem" is or if there really is one. I waited on one of the largest bag check lines I have ever experienced in a Disney park that early morning at 6:00 am. So, there were hordes of people there for Star Wars. The Cantina had every seat full at 7:30 am. The lightsaber reservations were booked solid for the entire weekend we were there - and were booked way ahead of time. I waited on a sizable line for blue milk. We saw tons of kids making and buying droids for $100 a pop. We saw lots and lots of $200 lightsabers all over the place and in the airport on the way home...so I'm quite sure the online reports of "failure" are ill conceived and just the classic Internet Haters.

I'm not an obsessive "riders per hour" fact kind of guy. Does the Falcon do a better job of moving through its crowd than Flight of Passage...? And that explains why Avatar still charts 2 hour waits while the Falcon tends to hover around 60-70 minutes? Maybe. But does the fact that the Falcon has smaller wait times and Galaxy's Edge never seems uncomfortably packed mean Disney overestimated Star Wars appeal? I can't see how that can be true.

What I saw, I loved and I can't wait to go back.

Thanks for your take on it Chris. I always enjoy reading your articles and your love for WDW is infectious.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Thanks for your take on it Chris. I always enjoy reading your articles and your love for WDW is infectious.
    Thanks for the kind words and for always reading Chuck. Much appreciated!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It was interesting to visit Galaxy's Edge at DHS recently when I've spent the last 5 months getting very familiar with Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland.

I agree with the comment about how amazing the marketplace is, both in its look, atmosphere and in the merchandise they sell. My first visit to Black Spire Outpost in Anaheim, and even on subsequent visits, I spent a lot of time looking up, at the designs and the layout of everything. As for the merchandise, my great appreciation that they made in-story merchandise is why I was so incredibly irritated when I was heading out of DHS to discover that almost all of the merchandise available at Galaxy's Edge there is also available in a store on the main street, right next to actual Star Wars merchandise. They created this whole story and then completely abandoned it by treating the merchandise as just regular Disney theme park merchandise.

Oh, and the word from the last day or two is that they're changing back the menu names. I don't understand people who don't read past the first line. Each menu item has a description of what the actual food is.

My top 1 thing that I absolutely hated about Galaxy's Edge in DHS was the entrance/exit near the Droid Depot that connects to Toy Story Land. Again, they created a whole story about a new world, a planet that we hadn't known about before, and yet, while you stand there, you can turn left and see Black Spire Outpost and then when you turn right, you can see Toy Story Land with giant Buzz there. Completely destroys the story and I was actually amazed and disappointed that they designed it that way. There's enough room there to have made some kind of small tunnel or even just walls that includes small turns so that the two lands are not so connected and visible.

As for the "miscalculation" based on attendance, I think a lot of that stems from there not being wall-to-wall people every minute of the day like many people expected, and that the wait time for Smugglers Run isn't 6 hours long like it was when Flight of Passage in Pandora opened. I can't speak for Black Spire Outpost at DHS since I was only there once, but in Anaheim, it's busy on a regular basis but not uncomfortably crowded, and I think that works well. If it was in fact wall to wall people, it wouldn't be much fun. But, you're in a busy marketplace, or you're in a busy square with many other visitors. I also think a lot of people might have postponed their trip until the second attraction is open, or at least didn't make an extra trip and are just coming during Halloween time or during the holidays, when they would normally make their visit. It's been busy every time I've been there, and I've been there a lot.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...