Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Epcot Forever (with spoiler tags)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Epcot Forever (with spoiler tags)

We were able to watch the opening night of Epcot Forever on Tuesday. I loved Illuminations and knew that it would be hard to accept whatever the replacement show was. Given what little I knew about Epcot Forever (I'd avoided watching any of the videos they'd released about the making of the show), I also knew that I wasn't going to really connect to it because I'm not that familiar with the history of music at Epcot.

It seems odd to me that they called the show Epcot Forever, knowing that the show would only be around for a year. Epcot Forever But Only For a Little While?

I think it was a nicely done show, and there were some nifty new things to see, including a few bits that were Disney WOW moments.

Some of the new styles of fireworks were pretty amazing to see, and I did think the kites were pretty awesome, especially the ones with firework streamers. I'm a bit surprised at the negative reaction to them that I've read.

But as I expected, because I don't have the history with Epcot that others do, the show didn't move me as it might others.

There is one segment that I love because I have a connection to it.

To have Tapestry of Nations properly in a show again instead of just as out music was terrific. And I think they nicely managed to walk a fine line in including Celebrate the Future from Illuminations. You can't not include Illuminations in a show about Epcot's music, but you also don't want to strike a raw nerve, which I think including Promise or We Go On would have.

I do think the choice of the closing song is odd. I'm not remembering it as having a connection to Epcot so doesn't fit the theme.

I had to think about it a bit to make sure there wasn't some kind of Aladdin musical at Epcot. Yeah, Aladdin and Jasmine have a photo opp and make appearances in World Showcase, but that doesn't have anything to do with the musical history of Epcot. I can see where the sentiment of "A Whole New World" might be applicable because of the changes going on at Epcot in the next two years, but again, the theme of the show is supposed to be the music of Epcot. This song had no place being in the show itself, much less being the last impression that you're left with.

I do appreciate that it's a well-produced show. I likely won't see it again since we don't have another trip planned in the next year. If I was local, I'd maybe see the show on occasion, just to hear the music and especially the Tapestry/Illuminations segment, and I'd want to watch the jet skiers once cause that sounds interesting. But it's not a show I'd make it a point to see like I did with Illuminations.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

I liked the show. I'll look at it some more probably in the near future, either the DPB replay of the livestream or the video I took while watching the 1st night.

I know you mentioned avoiding any spoiler articles before you watched, but based on one of the original DPB articles, I thought the main focus was intended to be on the past, present, and future of the park, but not exclusively using music with a direct tie in to Epcot. Obviously a lot of the selections are from Epcot attractions or shows, but I don't think the last song is a problem. Especially with the new names for the different parts within what has been Future World, I assumed that is the tie in they were looking for.

I will suggest that I actually do believe this show can probably be viewed equally well from most locations around the perimeter of WS(with the obvious exception of standing somewhere where there are trees or buildings directly in your sight line to the lagoon). Even though they always said that about Illuminations, I never really believed it, I always felt the view was at least better from the front half of the lagoon, even if not necessarily front and center.

Assuming it's around until at least the start of summer next year, I hope to see it in person again, probably in late April/early May. If they did announce it's roughly a year, I missed the date. (I've seen the mention of the permanent new show starting in 2020, but I haven't seen when posted anywhere)

-Dave

I watched it online not live. Hopefully I will be able to see it live during my November visit. I enjoyed the show because all the songs brought back memories of attractions from the past that I really liked.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I know you mentioned avoiding any spoiler articles before you watched, but based on one of the original DPB articles, I thought the main focus was intended to be on the past, present, and future of the park, but not exclusively using music with a direct tie in to Epcot. Obviously a lot of the selections are from Epcot attractions or shows, but I don't think the last song is a problem.
    Hmmm, I don't know where I got the impression that the show was about the music from Epcot. Maybe from the parks panel at the D23 Expo? Not sure. And, since I don't know the music of Epcot well, was there anything in the show other than the final song that wasn't from an Epcot show?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    If they did announce it's roughly a year, I missed the date. (I've seen the mention of the permanent new show starting in 2020, but I haven't seen when posted anywhere)
    No, you're right, they haven't given a date for the debut of Harmonius. I just made the assumption that it would be about a year for Epcot Forever, but still, including the word "forever" in a show that's meant to be very short-lived seems weird to me.

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing that I *REALLY* dislike about the show.

I found the kid doing the narration to be incredibly annoying. They had a few pre-show announcements, and he was already annoying me, but it was worse durng the show. I have no idea why they chose a kid to narrate the show. There was no reason it had to be done by a kid - there was nothing in the story. There was a kid narrating parts of the fireworks show at Disneyland - I think it was Believe? - but at least in that case, I think the kid was supposed to be conversing with his grandmother, so while I did find him annoying, at least it was part of the story. In this case, he wasn't.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...