Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things I'll Miss About IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things I'll Miss About IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth

My Disney Top 5 - Things I'll Miss About IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth by Chris Barry

Chris bids a heartfelt farewell to the beloved Epcot night time spectacular.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

An excellent remembrance! I'm sorry I missed you while I was there. I saw the show on the 29th, heard stories of huge crowds expected for the following night, and decided to crash early on the 30th. I was also there on the 1st for the debut of Epcot Forever, and as much as I'll miss IllumiNations I really enjoyed the new show!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Completely Agree with you. So sad to see such a classic go. But I would add two items to your list:

The incredible soundtrack by Gavin Greenaway. It is, in my opinion the earth of this show.

The tapestry of nation parade soundtrack that is broadcasted everywhere after the show. (with the synchronise extinction of the torch at the end of the music)

Alain

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    An excellent remembrance! I'm sorry I missed you while I was there. I saw the show on the 29th, heard stories of huge crowds expected for the following night, and decided to crash early on the 30th. I was also there on the 1st for the debut of Epcot Forever, and as much as I'll miss IllumiNations I really enjoyed the new show!
    Hey Dan,

Sunday night we were in Epcot actually. We just decided to hit attractions while the crowds were watching the show because we knew we were planning on catching the final night. Would have been good to meet.

Did you get a chance to go inside the Odyssey?

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Completely Agree with you. So sad to see such a classic go. But I would add two items to your list:

The incredible soundtrack by Gavin Greenaway. It is, in my opinion the earth of this show.

The tapestry of nation parade soundtrack that is broadcasted everywhere after the show. (with the synchronise extinction of the torch at the end of the music)

Alain
    All of the music is really incredible isn't it? From the pre-show all the way through to afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Did you get a chance to go inside the Odyssey?
    Nope. What was in there?
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Great Top 5! While I have to admit that being a newer WDW guest (only since 2012), I don't quite have the connection to Epcot historical connections like the Tapestry of Nations (since I've only read about it), but I still always enjoyed the show.

Sorry we missed touching base, I had sent you and Dan PMs (after your suggestion of meeting up in the Jungle Cruise Top 5 thread), but I didn't do it until the last minute(my bad!).

Re: the torches, I was happy to see them re-used (less the Globe one of course) for Epcot Forever. It would be nice if they survive for HarmonioUS.

I noticed a crane visible in the backstage area not too far from the canal where they parked the globe and barges during prep. I wonder if that is to help build something for Harmonious? If so, it must be BIG! I guess it's more likely that maybe they are doing something to get back some off stage storage or other infrastructure they are losing with some of the other changes around the park.

I thought the Odyssey display was pretty neat! With the effort it must have taken to set that up, hopefully it's around for a while. I'd like to take another look in the spring. The model of all the park updates was nice to see.

-Dave

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Nope. What was in there?
    The Odyssey has a nice preview center for the re-imagining of Epcot. There's a small theater in the round with a model of the park in the center, and then screens all around you. There's narration that lasts about 15 minutes highlighting all of the changes to come. It's beautifully done.

Also, in the hall outside the theater, there are attraction posters for just about everything you'd want to see, current, upcoming and - the best part - past. It's great to see posters for Horizons and Maelstrom side by side with the rest. There are also PhotoPass photo-ops that put you into a set of sorts. I don't know what the magic outcomes of those are yet, but it looks like they're doing something cool with the photos.

A nice job and it gets you very enthused for the changes to come.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Great Top 5! While I have to admit that being a newer WDW guest (only since 2012), I don't quite have the connection to Epcot historical connections like the Tapestry of Nations (since I've only read about it), but I still always enjoyed the show.

Sorry we missed touching base, I had sent you and Dan PMs (after your suggestion of meeting up in the Jungle Cruise Top 5 thread), but I didn't do it until the last minute(my bad!).

Re: the torches, I was happy to see them re-used (less the Globe one of course) for Epcot Forever. It would be nice if they survive for HarmonioUS.

I noticed a crane visible in the backstage area not too far from the canal where they parked the globe and barges during prep. I wonder if that is to help build something for Harmonious? If so, it must be BIG! I guess it's more likely that maybe they are doing something to get back some off stage storage or other infrastructure they are losing with some of the other changes around the park.

I thought the Odyssey display was pretty neat! With the effort it must have taken to set that up, hopefully it's around for a while. I'd like to take another look in the spring. The model of all the park updates was nice to see.
    Hey Dave,

You've had 7 years to fall in love with Epcot. That's more than enough time.

Thrilled to hear the torches are still being used.

I'm just as guilty for not checking my PM's so no apologizing. Yes, it would have been cool to meet.

The new show, while good, can't touch the amazing finale of Illuminations. The first time I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes. And everytime I see it, it feels the same.

And definitely feel the same about the pre-music. Man, it just set the right international mood for the evening. Just the best!!!

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

There isn't one aspect that I can point to specifically that I'll miss. It's all pretty much a coherent whole - the fireworks, the music, the globe, the torches, all of it. We saw it for the first time in late November 1999, and we were immediately hooked. We went in search of the soundtrack, which was quite scarce at that point, and luckily found one at the Tower Records that was then at Downtown Disney.

We've seen it a number of times on subsequent visits, and our norm has been to go to Epcot on our arrival day, usually late afternoon, get something to eat and watch Illuminations. I can't remember which visit it was when I realized they were playing Tapestry of Dreams as the out music. I only saw that parade once, but I was absolutely mesmerized From then on, the show didn't end for us until the last strains of that ended. I was glad that in Epcot Forever, that music figures prominently in one section.

We were there on September 30, and there were a lot of tears, but none more than when the Tapestry music ended and the torches were extinguished for the last time, as part of Illuminations anyway.

Which is part of the reason I really disliked the farewell merchandise depicting Mickey putting out a torch, all the while with a big grin on his face. I actually thought it was an incredibly disrespectful graphic to use on the farewell merchandise. I did like one design that included the globe opened to show the torch inside, but of course, it was only on a kids t-shirt. Grrrrrrr.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...