Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Remembering the Tomorrowland Space Show Trilogy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Remembering the Tomorrowland Space Show Trilogy

Remembering the Tomorrowland Space Show Trilogy by Jim Korkis

Jim is off to the starts for a look at the evolution of Tomorrowland.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

The Walt Disney Treasures DVD set featuring these episodes and more is available from Amazon for $100. They have 2 sets left.

Always enjoy Jim's reminisces on Disney history. I have the Treasures set with this series, and it's fun to go back and watch again from time to time. One small error though, regarding the comment "The pair of pilots' chairs for the cockpit were from a Boeing 737..." for the Man and the Moon episode that aired in late 1955. The 737 first flight was in 1967, so seats from that jet couldn't possibly have been used for this episode. In fact, going back to the earlier Boeing jets, the 727's first flight was in 1963, and the first flight of Boeing's first jet, the 707, wasn't until December 1957. I guess it's possible that 707 prototype seats may have been available in late 1955, but doubtful.

You are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by vanduid View Post
    Always enjoy Jim's reminisces on Disney history. I have the Treasures set with this series, and it's fun to go back and watch again from time to time. One small error though, regarding the comment "The pair of pilots' chairs for the cockpit were from a Boeing 737..." for the Man and the Moon episode that aired in late 1955. The 737 first flight was in 1967, so seats from that jet couldn't possibly have been used for this episode. In fact, going back to the earlier Boeing jets, the 727's first flight was in 1963, and the first flight of Boeing's first jet, the 707, wasn't until December 1957. I guess it's possible that 707 prototype seats may have been available in late 1955, but doubtful.
    You are absolutely correct and thanks for pointing it out because it always irritates me when inaccurate material appears in print (especially when I am responsible!) In this case, I trusted the interview I had done with Ward Kimball about two decades ago and should have double-checked. I have been fooled before trusting Imagineers and animators who told me something with great sincerity and authority but were misleading or wrong. Ward was always a great storyteller but sometimes he didn't always remember the truth.

You are absolutely correct that it was 707 prototype seats which I have confirmed by checking a 1978 article by Dave Smith which I should have done in the first place. Thanks again and glad you enjoy these articles!