Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Skyliner

Disney Skyliner

Per the Disney Park Blog, the Skyliner will officially begin running on September 29.

Past Trips: 2006-POR; 2008-POP; 2009-CBR; 2010-VB/AKV Kidani; 2010-BLT; 2011-BWV; 2011-AKV Kidani; 2013-BCV/BLT; 2014-AKL Jambo (Concierge); 2015-SSR/OKW; 2016 BCV/AKV Kidani; 2018 BWV
    2019 Trips: March 10-15; September 18-24

2. # ADS

Disney Skyliner

Take personal air conditioning! I am struggling to believe they won’t be super hot.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Considering how fast that they move through the sky, I think there will be plenty of airflow. Not to mention that most trips are going to be around 6-7 min duration between load/unload points.
    In perspective... when Im walking on the sidewalk around the parks in July, its hot - dang hot. However when there is a breeze, it does not feel bad. Take out the radiant heat factor from the sidewalks and walkways, and I predict that the Skyliner cars will not be bad.

No - they are not going to have AC - but Im betting that they really wont need it.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Disney Skyliner

I also believe they have small windows that open up.

Past Trips: 2006-POR; 2008-POP; 2009-CBR; 2010-VB/AKV Kidani; 2010-BLT; 2011-BWV; 2011-AKV Kidani; 2013-BCV/BLT; 2014-AKL Jambo (Concierge); 2015-SSR/OKW; 2016 BCV/AKV Kidani; 2018 BWV
    2019 Trips: March 10-15; September 18-24

What about Im the winter season when its cooler? I wonder if it will be cold inside, especially on days where its not sunny.

Looking forward to riding these when we go in January. I still remember riding the old Skyway at Disneyland when I was kid. I remember my favorite was going through the Matterhorn. I miss that ride.

Missing Disneyland, but looking forward to Disney World!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We had a chance to ride them on opening day and a day after that. I really enjoyed it. You get a lot of nice scenery, and the rides are pretty quick. The wait times weren't too bad either since it's mostly continuously moving. We stayed at Pop Century, one of the end points of the Skyliner, and we rode it to Epcot one morning, and it worked beautifully. It took maybe a total of 20 minutes and was definitely a nicer ride than the bus. The only hiccup was that when we left in the evening (which was the last night of Illuminations), the part of the route from Caribbean Beach to Pop Century was down, so they had busses for us instead. However, given the nightmare in trying to leave the Epcot parking lot that night that I read about, I think our route was easier, even with the unexpected closure and bus detour.

It was mostly a smooth ride though it was a little bouncy one of the times. There is a nice breeze that comes through the cabin, but I think we only rode in the morning hours and in the evening, so I don't know what it was like in the hottest part of the day around 3pm. There were a few times when we slowed down and I think once when we were stopped, and since there's no wind at that point, it was a little warm. I don't know what it was like being in there during the times of day when it rained.

I also loved seeing the gondolas in the skyline. It adds a lot to the look of the resort as well as providing a good additional means of transportation, though of course, it's only useful for certain locations.

When we got back to our room after opening day, we found this pin in our room. I don't know if it was given to everyone staying at a WDW hotel or just those with a Skyliner stop. In any case, it was pretty cool.

I would definitely factor in a property with a Skyliner stop when considering which resort to stay at in the future.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Well that didn’t take long, already a crash on the Skyliner.

Missing Disneyland, but looking forward to Disney World!

Not good for that to happen. I hope everyone is ok and that Disney can figure out what happened.

Wow! As other's have said, #1 is hoping everyone is ultimately OK. I'm sure there had to be a few non-injury related incidents with people being trapped for so long up in the air.

Several of the many stories on various fan sites have comments from someone claiming they were in the yellow gondola that struck the aqua one that didn't successfully leave the Riviera station. But Disney still seems to be standing by their statement that no guests were involved in the actual collision? I guess the true full story will become more clear over the next few days or weeks.

I took the gondolas to go between EPC and DHS 4 times (2 times each way) during my trip last week, and I was impressed with how they worked time-wise.

Tuesday I went from EPC to DHS (early/mid afternoon) and back (late afternoon/early evening), and I clocked it at somewhere around 23 minutes from station to station, including the time to transfer at CB from one line to the other (there were not any significant lines at the stations these trips).

Friday I did the reverse, parking at DHS (since I wanted to leave for MCO from there in the early evening), in the early to mid afternoon and immediately taking the gondola over to EPC for some final F&W munching, then back to DHS for a few final things a couple of hours later. These trips were a bit longer, but still each trip clocked in at around 30 minutes or so. There were pretty significant lines at at least 2 of the stations, one of them was the full queue - though the gondolas were temporarily stopped on that route when I was entering that particular line.

I'm realizing now I was lucky this incident did not happen on my last trip, or I would have been missing my plane to come home. (though I guess that could be said for going on any ride as well, since the possibility of getting stuck for a long period is always there, even if a very small probability)

I thought the ventilation worked pretty well on my trips (wasn't raining - not sure how well the vents might screen rain while letting air in). The ventilation efficiency may be a trade-off for which side you want to sit on when riding. You probably get a better view when facing forward, but the ventilation is probably better for the slatted seats when your back is to the direction the gondola is moving. Of course if there is a decent breeze, it might help, even if you are not on the "right" side.

On the "curious" side, I noted the gondolas are different in terms of which side the door is on when you are traveling forward. IIRC, for the CB-EPC route, the doors are on the left, and the "loop" is moving clockwise if you were looking down from the sky. For the CB-DHS route, the doors are on the right, and the "loop" is moving counter clockwise. (I didn't ride the CB-AoA/Pop line, or even think to look over at it while at the transfer station). I would guess that was part of the overall design to optimize traffic flow for transfer lines at the stations, but I found it interesting (sorry, geek moment there for the last paragraph ).

Again, hoping everyone that was on these when the incident happened is OK. And also hoping Disney and the gondola manufacturer can figure out what happened with that one gondola that seemingly didn't leave properly to cause the whole mess. Obviously that can't become a regular thing, or these will be a short lived experiment.

Last edited by Dave1313; 10-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I thought the ventilation worked pretty well on my trips (wasn't raining - not sure how well the vents might screen rain while letting air in). The ventilation efficiency may be a trade-off for which side you want to sit on when riding. You probably get a better view when facing forward, but the ventilation is probably better for the slatted seats when your back is to the direction the gondola is moving. Of course if there is a decent breeze, it might help, even if you are not on the "right" side.
    I'm going to disagree. On each of my rides, I was facing forward, and I got a pretty good breeze as long as we were moving.

One thing I forgot to mention - it was fun to look at the gondolas to see what characters were on which gondolas. We did that both while we were riding the Skyliner and while standing on the ground. At the Epcot station, you have a perfect view of the gondolas while they're coming and going. One time as we were riding, we were right next to the Guardians gondola, so I got a great picture of Yondu and Cosmo.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...