Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: All 51 DLR Rides in a Day

All 51 DLR Rides in a Day

One day soon I'm going to attempt this. If I wait past this Sunday I'll have to do 52 DLR rides since Millennium Falcon will be accessible.

On average I'll need to complete about 3.19 rides per hour in a 16 hour operating day to get through all 51. Been brainstorming this a bit. It's time. I'll report back with pics.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

🎡🎢🚂 stay hydrated.

Sounds like a very cool idea!

I'm sure you've run quick numbers, I would think depending on the crowd levels, a lot of the non FP rides could make it really difficult, I would think (dark rides or others in FantasyLand as an example - busy day at 1/2 hour or so (maybe more) per, you get the idea...).

Is this really a good summer time mission, or is there a "slower" (I know, so such thing as true "off-season" anymore) time that might make it easier?

If you do go for it, I hope all the rides stay up for the day you try to do it! (or at least come back up quickly if they go down. I'm sure a few going down for a half hour or so along the way would not kill the possibility, just cause you to dynamically change your task list a bit)

Good luck and keep us posted! (either during planning or actual attempts)

-Dave

Thanks Dave.

Finding a day with max operating hours (16) and few closures for refurbishment is the priority. Already I'm down to 50 rides from 51 because I just noticed Red Car Trolley is closed until 2020 apparently.

One of the main things on my mind right now is the amount of time spent on certain lonnnng rides, almost all of which are on/in water:
    - Mark Twain Riverboat
    - Sailing Ship Columbia
    - Davey Crockett Canoes
    - it's a small world
    - Storybook Land Canal Boats
    - Nemo Subs
    - Jungle Cruise
    - Pirates
    - Pixar Pal Around

These rides are momentum / time killers. The wait in the queue for these rides doesn't concern me nearly as much as the amount of time on the rides themselves. I'm going to have to pick my spots carefully and make up the minutes elsewhere.

Eating, hydrating, restroom breaks, and keeping the phone charged are other concerns I'm trying to prep for.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Remember that the Twain and the Columbia close early if it's a night they're showing Fantasmic. And the canoes close earlier than most rides because they don't run after dark. And Storybook closes during parades. And some Pixar Pier rides (including Screamin') close for World of Color.

Are you including the alternate viewing for the Nemo Subs as a separate ride? Or the alternate viewing for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough, for that matter?

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Remember that the Twain and the Columbia close early if it's a night they're showing Fantasmic. And the canoes close earlier than most rides because they don't run after dark. And Storybook closes during parades. And some Pixar Pier rides (including Screamin') close for World of Color.

Are you including the alternate viewing for the Nemo Subs as a separate ride? Or the alternate viewing for the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough, for that matter?

Thanks. For the purpose of this challenge, "if it moves it's a ride".
    So, among the 50 things I (we possibly if my son accompanies) have to ride include a Main St. vehicle, the ferry to/from Tom Sawyer, and at least a leg of the monorail and DLRR. Walk through (Tarzan Tree House, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through) and stationary attractions (Tiki Room, Nemo Observation Room) are not included.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Walk through (Tarzan Tree House, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through) and stationary attractions (Tiki Room, Nemo Observation Room) are not included.
    Hmmmm. OK.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I didn’t make it to Anaheim today.

So, whenever I get around to it this week or next, Millennium Falcon is included. We’re back up to 51 rides.

June 27

We made a run at it. Daughter (age 12) and youngest (8) and myself. Here's the action:

8:00am to 11:30: Disneyland Park

1: Peter Pan's Flight

2. Storybook Land Canal Boats

3. Astro Orbiter

4. Alice in Wonderland

5. Gadget's Go Coaster

6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
    here because 10 is the maximum images in a post

7. Dumbo

8. Casey, jr.

9. Main Street Vehicle

10. Nemo Subs

11. Autopia

11:30 to 2:30: Tomorrowland Monorail to Downtown Disney and CA Adventure Park

We grabbed fusilli pasta to go for son at Alien Pizza Planet and boarded the monorail, which we were fortunate to ride in the conductor's car to Downtown Disney. Daughter and I got French Dips at Earl of Sandwich. After a quick bite, we entered DCA through the Grand Californian.

12. Monorail

13. Radiator Springs Racers

14. Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters

15. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

16. Toy Story Midway Mania

17. Incredicoaster

18. Silly Symphony Swings

19. Ariel's Undersea Adventure

2:30 to 4:45: Disneyland Rivers of America rides and Critter Country

Had to break in the DCA action to get back in Disneyland Park before they shut down Columbia at 4:00 and the other Rivers of America rides shortly after.

20. Davey Crockett Canoes

21. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

22. Splash Mountain

23. Ferry to Tom Sawyer's Island

24. Sailing Ship Columbia

25. Mark Twain Riverboat

4:45 to 5:45: Loose ends in Fantasyland

26. Matterhorn

27. Mad Tea Party

28. Pinocchio's Daring Journey

29. Snow White's Scary Adventures

30. King Arthur's Carrousel

31. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

5:45 to 9:30: DCA

We grabbed dinner from three different spots in DCA. Mobil order is a Godsend. Son got chicken strips at Smokejumpers; daughter had the club from Flo's; I had a corndog from Corn Dog Castle.

32. Grizzly River Run

33. Soarin' Over California

34. Pixar Pal Around Swinging Gondola

35.Goofy's Sky School

36. Jessie's Critter Carrousel

37. Zephyr

38. Monsters, Inc.

For the first time all day we became flustered (by the goings on at Jumpin Jellyfish - more on that later perhaps) and had to alter course to Monsters/ Guardians where we didn't get a pic of ourselves. This old photo of us riding Guardians can take its place.

39. Guardians of the Galaxy

40. Jumpin' Jellyfish

9:30pm to 12:30am: Disneyland

In the face of impending failure, we pressed on. Eleven Disneyland rides remaining. Daughter was determined to go down fighting.

41. Disneyland Railroad Main Street to New Orleans Square

42. Pirates of the Caribbean

43. The Haunted Mansion

44. Indiana Jones Adventure

45. Jungle Cruise

46. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

47. Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run

It was a good run, but when we exited Smuggler's Run, it was 11:40 and daughter was finally willing to throw in the towel on getting on all four of the remaining Disneyland Park rides. For the record they were it's a small world, Hyperspace Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, and Star Tours.

So with the remaining 20 minutes we sped through the single rider queue and then the standby for two more trips on Millennium Falcon.

There are things we'll do different next time to be more efficient and get on all 51 rides (52 now with Flik's Flyers is open). There are factors beyond our control that we have to be better prepared for. I'll write more about all that when I have a chance to reflect.

For now, I'll say these two were incredible. Park warriors. Up before 6:00am and park hopping nonstop til 1:00am

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

That was so cool...congrats on such an awesome effort!!!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Out of curiosity, were you using Fastpass/MaxPass and/or disability access for any of your rides? (Not asking in a judgey way, just curious how easily reproducible this might be for others)

Your kids smiles are great! Mine are a bit older and I don't think that I would be able to get them to smile that many times in a day if I was taking their picture for each ride.
    My daughter will be excited that the chicken fusilli pasta is back at Pizza Planet, I don't think they had it when they were last there, but I don't remember if they had simply run out or there was a different dish in it's place. I've been trying to tell her that it was a permanent removal from the menu, as I agree with you that Mobile Order is amazing (especially when people have different tastes) and have been using that more often when we go.

Look forward to hearing more if you opt to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    That was so cool...congrats on such an awesome effort!!!
    Thank You. It was quite an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Out of curiosity, were you using Fastpass/MaxPass and/or disability access for any of your rides?
    We didn't use disability access, nor did we take advantage of single rider as we were intent on riding every ride together for this attempt.
    We have MaxPass and it proved useful on many rides. It saved us an average of 15 minutes per ride on Incredicoaster, TSMM, Splash Mtn., Matterhorn, GRR, Soarin', Goofy's, Guardians, and BTMRR.

We used it on Radiator Springs Racers but we'd have been better served riding single rider.

On Roger Rabbit's it was unnecessary to get a fastpass. Same was true for IJA and Haunted Mansion even though had them ready - the Fastpass and Standby lines merged without standby having to yield.

just curious how easily reproducible this might be for others
    It's doable without MaxPass. There is an entire website dedicated to riding all the resort rides (to participate you have to have a Twitter account [I don't and am not interested] and Tweet pics as you go). Doing it FastPass free is the new rage. They call it going "oxygen free" I believe. Anyway, the one gentleman I recall doing DLR oxygen free recently was a single party, which has its own obvious advantages.

Your kids smiles are great!
    Thanks. Daughter poured herself into this. It's her personality. She'll complete this challenge by summer's end or nearly die trying.
    Fun fact, we'd have moved on completely from Jumpin' Jellyfish and not completed it were it not for her stick-to-itiveness. As we were about to exit DCA from Guardians she ran back there alone (to Jumpin Jellyfish) to scout the line and ride operation then called us insisting we come join her, so we did.

The little guy showed up for Smuggler's Run. Every ride we checked off the list was one step closer for him to SWGE since I told him it'd probably be the last land we'd visit. As the night drew to a close, I couldn't bear to waste precious time on it's a small world and others while it was apparent the attempt was futile. We could have checked Buzz and another ride off the list BEFORE Smuggler's Run - pushing our total to 49 unique rides instead of 47 - but that would've left us with just a few minutes (and a single ride) in SWGE. His excitement from riding Millennium Falcon 3 times was more than enough consolation for what may have otherwise left us feeling defeated. Was a perfect ending to the night.

My daughter will be excited that the chicken fusilli pasta is back at Pizza Planet
    It's a staple for us. We order about a plate of it each trip, sometimes two.

Great effort! (and great reporting/pics!)

Were the park hopping times pre-planned, or were you monitoring wait times (or ability to grab a max-pass?) in the app?

Very impressed, especially since you only missed one of your concerning boat/water rides. And getting in the font seat of the monorail is cool too! I did that once, pretty sure I had to wait for a monorail or 2 to pass before I was able to get in (there was at least one other group waiting when I arrived and asked about getting in the front car).

Best luck on your next attempt. Sounds like it will be a fun summer at Disney for you and your family!

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Were the park hopping times pre-planned?
    Interesting you should ask, since in retrospect the amount of park hopping was my biggest mistake. I planned the trip in five alternating legs (1.DLP 2.DCA 3.DLP 4.DCA 5.DLP) with the first 12 rides in DLP on leg 1 being scripted. I would definitely not take that approach again. Next try we'll have a maximum of 1 trip into DCA and 2 or less into DLP. The challenge with this new approach, though, is making sure to be in Disneyland for some of these unique operating times: Main Street Vehicles 8am to 12:45pm, Sailing Ship Columbia 11 to 4, Twain 9 to 5:45, Sawyer 9 to 5, Toontown 9 to 8:30.

If we spend the entire morning in DCA with the intent of knocking out all 17 rides, we run the risk of not getting to DLP for Main Street Vehicles if DCA takes too long. But it's worth a try on a morning when DCA doesn't have the Magic Morning. That brings me to another flaw in our plan: we began the day in DLP at 8am on a DLP Magic Morning day, meaning there was already a sizable group in the Peter Pan's Flight line when the rope dropped. I think to take full advantage of no crowds at 8am rope drop, it's nearly essential to begin in the park that's not holding Magic Morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Very impressed, especially since you only missed one of your concerning boat/water rides.
    Since you mention it, I took some rather detailed notes on the "running times" of every ride. This indicates the time from boarding/seating to when the ride ends and you exit. For what it's worth, the water rides were:

Storybook Land Canal Boat 6 minutes
    Nemo Subs 18 minutes
    Splash 11 minutes
    Sawyer Ferry round trip 6 minutes
    Pirates 17 minutes
    Jungle Cruise 8 minutes
    Canoes 15 minutes.
    Columbia 20 minutes
    Twain 14 minutes
    (the running times for Columbia and Twain probably don't normally have this big a range from each other, but each ride is influenced by traffic on the river and boat speed, etc. and Columbia had a slight delay leaving once we boarded because cast members were waiting for more of whatever they use to make the cannon fire)

Looks good!

One other thought I had: While it would make an already long day even longer, had you considered taking advantage of the "you can get on a line up until closing" for one of the typically longer lined rides, thereby leaving more time before park closing to do shorter rides in it's place?

I know that can end badly in terms of how long it takes to get through and then out of the park(I seem to recall doing this for Space Mountain once, and I think it was probably an hour (or maybe even more) wait, since lots of people did the same thing), but if you had anything that took a large chunk of time, it could help the goal.

I guess it also depends on if there are times when they may cut off the line before the closing minutes of the last hour, that could of course also end the quest.

-Dave

OM goodness that pic of Walt on the tram is adorable. Of course, I still picture toddler Walt in your trip reports.
    Excellent effort.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    OM goodness that pic of Walt on the tram is adorable. Of course, I still picture toddler Walt in your trip reports.
    Excellent effort.
    Thank you!

You're referring to this toddler. You prompted me to uncover some old photos, haha. Here's a few from Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (#RIP #neverforget)

4 months later at the Halloween Party:

Thanks for humoring me. I can't show his mom those, it makes her cry.

That would be the one. I feel her, our oldest turned 27 last month and our "baby" is 17. She was 4 when we started DL trips.