Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom by Chris Barry

Chris counts down the wall-to-wall creeps and hot and cold running chills of the Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Haunted Mansion (all variants)

A ride so iconic that there's technically four (if you count Disneyland Paris's Phantom Manor) with Disneyland Park (Disneyland Resort), Magic Kingdom, and Tokyo Disneyland. Will there ever be a 5th version? Well, one could say technically there is at Hong Kong Disneyland's Mystic Manor (at Mystic Point). I am still surprised there is no such Ride, or Attraction, like the Haunted Mansion at Shanghai Disneyland Park - will there ever be one?

I still prefer the original at Disneyland, however, I do miss the "original graveyard" in the queue line (seeing it half exposed up on the hill is not enough, I feel it can be moved someplace where it's more visible AND will not slow down the queue line AND be a part of New Orleans Square backstory).

I'm not a fan of Constance in the Attic (am I the only one who feels like she comes across like a ho?). I miss having a sympathetic Character (a Bride who faced a tragic situation). Disneyland's Haunted Mansion needs a Melanie Ravenswood, which means the Haunted Mansion would benefit using Characters with the last name Gracey ("Master Gracey laid to rest, No mourning please at his request, Farewell" ―Gracey's tombstone named after Imagineer Yale Gracey). They could use the first names of Imagineers, but the most important thing? We would have Characters with the last name Gracey throughout the Ride and that creates a cohesive story (the Phantom Manor definitely benefited from this, especially with the new "stretching room portraits" and the "changing portrait" before entering the Ride).

Finally? For decades we would get in the Doombuggies , where it is dark and devoid of anything (except a cheesy large rubber spider on a fake cobweb). I've experienced what Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion, as well as Disneyland Paris's Phantom Manor, offers when getting into their Doombuggies .... how irritating that the bean counters at Team Disney Burbank wouldn't allow for a budget to give Team Disney Anaheim a chance to do something about that in time for the Haunted Mansion 50th this year (we all know how much Team Disney Burbank schilled for 20th Century Fox, we all know how much their executives are financially compensated, don't tell me they can't afford to make some improvements around their theme parks!)

One final question - Disneyland Haunted Mansion benefit with a covered queue line (offering shade from the heat), or would that ruin the ambience?