Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGE first impressions

olegc thanks for your thoughts on it. I wonder why more then yesterday? I know a few of us noticed the 3rd group on the 31st seemed to have been bigger then the others that day by the wait time on SR and even Mouseplanet said it looked larger then the group before it. It seems strange that so far in the 2 days open there is 1 time slot each of the days that has been bigger then the rest. Honestly from the way it sounds with the lines to get in to Ogas, Savis and the droids that there wasn't as good planning in this for those wanting a chance to do any of it or all 3 during that time slot. Yet as my husband said, since we are locals its not that huge a deal if we can't see it all and do more then the ride and a little shopping because we can go back later when its opened to all (and my pass and the kids are not blocked from DL LOL). Yet I do feel for those that would be traveling here for this and can't do all they want.

When you said folks lingered and no effort to sweep, that doesn't help in the matter as well then for those lines if they are in them or get in them when they should be gone. With all the plans in place with this system you would think they would make sure to look for those still lingering from the time before. I am sure some linger in homes of seeing what could happen to them if they got caught. SMH

I saw that gift card in a picture yesterday. I know we already plan to end up spending some money in the parks so if I can I might pick it up and use it in the parks that day since we would be spending it anyway. Then let the older one have it to keep since its his birthday.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Questions for you folks with early reservations (trying to make my game plan for Monday):

1) Do both people (light saber builder and guest) need to be present to get a return time for Savi's? Or can just one person get a return time and then two go in?
    2) Is the Oga's Cantina line outside? Or would someone potentially be able to join their group if they left for the bathroom?
    3) Do any of the food places have Mobile Order? Or will that activate after the reservation period?
    4) How long did you wait for the quick service food places, and the Blue Milk specifically?
    5) How were all of the lines during your reservations? I've been watching Smugglers Run on the app, but that's the only thing with a listed wait time (at least that I see).

Also, Berry Princess -- people will complain no matter what. I can't believe people would just try to go to something like this without researching first, but some people are oblivious...
    1. I heard from multiple people that these were gone for most time slots in under 10 minutes. You should both go.

2. Yes it is completely outside. The CMs we spoke to said it takes about an hour, and it's only open 2-3 times for each group starting 1 hour after your window opens and ending 90 - 2 hours before your window closes. We skipped it because the line was in the sun.

3. They do have mobile order but the times were already in the last half hour of our window before we even entered. If you want to order, you have to do it before you enter the land. There is a warning that says you need a reservation, but you can accept the warning and still order.

4. I only waited about 10 minutes for blue milk. It was up and down throughout the window. They were out of green when we went, so that probably helped. After the new group came in during our last hour the line was probably 4 times as long as what I waited in. At one point the popcorn line had probably 50 people, later I saw it at about 5. You're basically just going to wait in lines. There were lines to get into all of the stores almost the whole time we were there and then lines inside the stores for merchandise and to pay.

5. Everything is a line, to get into stores, to get merchandise, to pay, to take photos, to get into the restaurants, to order food. The ride times are deceiving because they limit when you can get in the ride. At one point it was 20 minutes but they told us it was for first time riders only (they mark your wristband), and single rider was closed too. Don't count on multiple rides on Smuggler's Run.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I don't know about that. My husband is part of SW groups online and they are spread all over. It was even discussed there. I think its slim no matter where the people lived if they didn't know. This isn't some small deal but a HUGE one for many that are not just Disney parks fans but especially for SW fans. I also don't doubt that there are those few that think complaining might get them in too. There are always some like that. LOL If by chance someone planned there vacation in such a manner like you outlined, I would hope they would have been paying attention to the news of SWGE over the months heading into their trip so they were aware of what was going on. Either way just like ShortPix77 said, there are always those that will complain.
    The people I saw on the local news complaining were saying that they followed the instructions and waited online, but the reservations sold out before they were selected. I was lucky to get one for today and then I had two friends get next week who added me too. I have other friends who had a group together and only one of them got in and they are going 5 days after my latest reservation. It was probably easier for Disney not to check the names that people added against accounts. But I've been going to Comic Con since before the new registration system. Now everyone has to have an account and if someone else buys you a ticket, you are locked out. Disney probably should have done that, then offered additional reservations if they didn't sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I've finished my window. Here are my observations...........
    3b - the Droid line was 75 minutes. And it took 30 to build because parts kept failing and we had to wait for a lead.
    6- interaction with cast members was great - asking me for my blue reduction card, u know, the one with the funny animals on the front. And asking us questions about our homeworld.

BTW - there is a unique coin gift card I bought in the Droid store. Minimum to charge it up is $100 - but I would spend that anyway.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/05/photos-exc...ney-gift-card/

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the list (thanks to cstephens for all the posts too, of course ! ).

Your comment on the droid issues has me a bit worried. If that many of the parts were broken right out of the gate, how long before a lot of them break once you finally assemble a good one and take it home with you? This looks like a cool activity to do, but for the money spent, I expect the droid to last and not be broken within a few days/weeks/etc. I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for posts about broken droids in the next few months to see if it becomes a long term epidemic.

(Oh, and on a happier part of the question - did you build a BB unit or an R2 unit? )

I was hoping to hear about the cast interaction part. Was what you described just generalized interaction, or did it have anything to do with riding on SR? Or maybe related to some purchase you made? (couldn't tell for sure if you did get to ride SR or not during this visit).

And that is a cool gift card. Disney being the savvy marketers they are, I would think that would be available for a while, unless it's extremely costly to make and they are only doing it close to the opening of the land. Agreed it's not a challenge to spend $100 on any given Disney visit, so it's effectively a free souvenir if you don't buy it right at the end of a trip, like right before going home.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post

Your comment on the droid issues has me a bit worried. If that many of the parts were broken right out of the gate, how long before a lot of them break once you finally assemble a good one and take it home with you? This looks like a cool activity to do, but for the money spent, I expect the droid to last and not be broken within a few days/weeks/etc. I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for posts about broken droids in the next few months to see if it becomes a long term epidemic.

(Oh, and on a happier part of the question - did you build a BB unit or an R2 unit? )

I was hoping to hear about the cast interaction part. Was what you described just generalized interaction, or did it have anything to do with riding on SR? Or maybe related to some purchase you made? (couldn't tell for sure if you did get to ride SR or not during this visit).

And that is a cool gift card. Disney being the savvy marketers they are, I would think that would be available for a while, unless it's extremely costly to make and they are only doing it close to the opening of the land. Agreed it's not a challenge to spend $100 on any given Disney visit, so it's effectively a free souvenir if you don't buy it right at the end of a trip, like right before going home.
    I think the gift card is intended to be limited. Otherwise they'd have it in more than one store. When we went they said they had 6 left. We waited in the line anyway, and the person in front of us bought the last one. We asked if they were sold out forever, for the window, for the day. The cashier would not break character and kept talking about credits. He finally said "There was only the one." Which was pretty ambiguous. Well, two hours later we saw some more of the cardboard envelopes behind the counter and hopped in line again. I wasn't even planning to buy one, especially after I'd already spent money all over the land. But I did. That cashier told us they have no clue how many they'll get or when, but that they did get one tiny display box (looked like it would hold 12, maybe 20 tops). I wouldn't be surprised if they completely run out soon.

The droid making didn't look like something I wanted to try for awhile. There was a single-ish file line out the door. Then there was a point where people were standing shoulder to shoulder inside waiting for the conveyer belt. We didn't see anyone move for awhile. And my friend pointed out that there were over 100 people inside waiting to make droids but less than 20 in line for the register. I think it will be a lot more fun when the crowds die down.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    The people I saw on the local news complaining were saying that they followed the instructions and waited online, but the reservations sold out before they were selected. I was lucky to get one for today and then I had two friends get next week who added me too. I have other friends who had a group together and only one of them got in and they are going 5 days after my latest reservation. It was probably easier for Disney not to check the names that people added against accounts. But I've been going to Comic Con since before the new registration system. Now everyone has to have an account and if someone else buys you a ticket, you are locked out. Disney probably should have done that, then offered additional reservations if they didn't sell out.
    The problem with a system like that is there is the chance of locking out parts of families and that wouldn't have ended up pretty by doing so. In the case of those that you saw complaining and followed what one should have done, well they knew that there was the chance of it not happening...just like we all did when we went in trying to get a time slot. Yet I will say that I don't know if they could have done anything in the set up to flag adding others to reservations that made their own already or that person added to someone else's flagged to not make there own. I'm sure it could have opened up some more slots for others to gain that morning if they had but who knows how many more compared to those that are only in 1. As Disney has also reminded (and obviously it isn't something most can do at those prices) they do still have rooms in their hotels if one really wants a reservation badly enough.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

The problem with a system like that is there is the chance of locking out parts of families and that wouldn't have ended up pretty by doing so. In the case of those that you saw complaining and followed what one should have done, well they knew that there was the chance of it not happening...just like we all did when we went in trying to get a time slot. Yet I will say that I don't know if they could have done anything in the set up to flag adding others to reservations that made their own already or that person added to someone else's flagged to not make there own. I'm sure it could have opened up some more slots for others to gain that morning if they had but who knows how many more compared to those that are only in 1. As Disney has also reminded (and obviously it isn't something most can do at those prices) they do still have rooms in their hotels if one really wants a reservation badly enough.
    The flag is, if your account has a reservation, you can't be added to anyone else's. I don't see the problem with locking out a family. Some families have more than 6 people. If you want to go with your family, don't give your account info to someone else so that can't add you. Then you're free to be added by the people you want to go with. That system works for Comic Con, and 100,00+ people manage to go every year.

The flag is, if your account has a reservation, you can't be added to anyone else's. I don't see the problem with locking out a family. Some families have more than 6 people. If you want to go with your family, don't give your account info to someone else so that can't add you. Then you're free to be added by the people you want to go with. That system works for Comic Con, and 100,00+ people manage to go every year.
    You are comparing different things here. Comic Con is going to be set up differently then how Disney was going to be with something like this period. Generally when thinking Comic Con its not a family go to. While Disney is. Yes I do know some families will go together to Comic Con but when comparing one is more for families then the other overall. And sure some people have more then 6 in a family but if you are just talking spouse and kids, that are usually less then 6 (we are 5 total here) but then what...lock out a spouse or a kid or 2 kids and that is ok? If its extended family well those people IMO could have done it on their own like everyone else. It seems the set up Disney had for this is working well though. Yes some will be going more then once (like you are and couple others here) but I don't think it would have honestly opened up that many more slots if names were flagged as being under reservations of any kind already. Besides the land will open all up here later in the month so once can try to go then. Its not like it was a set up system for the rest of the year and it got booked.

You are comparing different things here. Comic Con is going to be set up differently then how Disney was going to be with something like this period. Generally when thinking Comic Con its not a family go to. While Disney is. Yes I do know some families will go together to Comic Con but when comparing one is more for families then the other overall. And sure some people have more then 6 in a family but if you are just talking spouse and kids, that are usually less then 6 (we are 5 total here) but then what...lock out a spouse or a kid or 2 kids and that is ok? If its extended family well those people IMO could have done it on their own like everyone else. It seems the set up Disney had for this is working well though. Yes some will be going more then once (like you are and couple others here) but I don't think it would have honestly opened up that many more slots if names were flagged as being under reservations of any kind already. Besides the land will open all up here later in the month so once can try to go then. Its not like it was a set up system for the rest of the year and it got booked.
    Yes, families go to conventions. Yes, people who aren't a nuclear family go to Disneyland. Why are you so set on criticizing people who didn't get a reservation? There are several simple things that Disney could have done to make sure more people get a reservation. They chose not to, and it's ok for the people who were shut out to voice their opinion. I don't see how families will be shut out if you limit reservations to one per person. But even so, it is your assumption that a certain type of family group is the priority or that Disney even has a priority in this.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post

Droid issues we're specific to me. I noticed most others not having a problem. Maybe one or two others in the hour plus I was there I noticed had questions or needed help. The system is like self checkout - stations with lights to indicate open, in use, question, and need added help.

BB unit - CB0 is it's name. U have time while in line to see all color and parts options. BB units have more color choices than R2 units

The interaction was in the stores and with CMs walking around. Even Rontos asked for me to provide credits (payment).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

They upsell color inserts and decals for the R2 units in their own packaging. So you can change the color or even mix colors after the fact. They even had the drink serving tray and cups from Jabba's barge as an add-on accessory.

Yes, families go to conventions. Yes, people who aren't a nuclear family go to Disneyland. Why are you so set on criticizing people who didn't get a reservation? There are several simple things that Disney could have done to make sure more people get a reservation. They chose not to, and it's ok for the people who were shut out to voice their opinion. I don't see how families will be shut out if you limit reservations to one per person. But even so, it is your assumption that a certain type of family group is the priority or that Disney even has a priority in this.
    That isn't criticizing what I said. Disney gave us all the option of how one wanted to do things. Hotel or try to get a reservation when it opened. People will complain either way things go and no matter how something is done but at the end of the day not all will be happy no matter what...family or non family. Those shut out still had options to book a hotel room if it was that important to them and still can actually. So technically they are not shut out but they would have to decide if the cost of those rooms is worth it to them or to just wait until it opens to all. BTW, those on other people's reservations could have all said to their friends/family as well not not add them if they got one and had not added those friends/family as well. Yet again, I doubt it would have opened much more in the way of slots. Most the people I have seen on this are not going more then one time compared to a small amount I have seen say were added to others. The ones added to most seemed to be going with family or friends that weren't on other reservations either. So far the only things I have seen really complained about is how the lines are handled for a few of the things inside to do (droids/sabers/Cantina). With that I think that those not local or won't be able to make a trip back soon to try to do more in the land are the ones that sucks for.

The one thing I haven't seen mention was the Play Disney app being used in the land. Has anyone tried it out there?

Blog Entries

The droid making didn't look like something I wanted to try for awhile. There was a single-ish file line out the door. Then there was a point where people were standing shoulder to shoulder inside waiting for the conveyer belt. We didn't see anyone move for awhile. And my friend pointed out that there were over 100 people inside waiting to make droids but less than 20 in line for the register. I think it will be a lot more fun when the crowds die down.
    I didn't notice 100 people inside waiting. The line to pay for droids is separate from a second register for buying other add on. There were maybe 20 or so in line to pay for droids, and yes shoulder to shoulder waiting for parts (which take a little while since u are looking for specific parts on a movong conveyor). They hold up the payment line until there is room at the conveyor. I think the operation is as smooth as it can be.

It's genius from a retail perspective. Buy something - but wait in line to do an activity that is part of buying something and pay extra. And since it's tied to a universe many know and love there's emotional investment involved.

I have two more preview chances at Ogas. My first priority is lightsabers though. And the line at Doks means that extra crystals may have to wait.

I'm thinking ahead - if these lines are like this for previews what will they be like for open land? Will they create call back systems? Virtual queues for everything in the land? (Even popcorn?). I wonder . .. this is Carsland opening 100 times bigger.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    The one thing I haven't seen mention was the Play Disney app being used in the land. Has anyone tried it out there?
    I tried it briefly - but it takes over your phone so u can't use it to take pictures, etc. I don't know if that's what others experienced but it did for me. So I decided I would try the app in detail another time.

Blog Entries

One other observation - Disneyland is ridiculously uncrowded. Saturday night walk on Matterhorn? Yup. Indiana Jones 10 min (as fast as u can walk the queue? Yup. I waited longer for Bengal Barbecue than anything else. Extra blocks in passes and fear of crowds seem to be working.

Or it's just that everyone got a reservation in SWGE. That was crowded!!

I tried it briefly - but it takes over your phone so u can't use it to take pictures, etc. I don't know if that's what others experienced but it did for me. So I decided I would try the app in detail another time.

Thanks. I have it in my phone and always forget about it when I'm in the parks but like to take lots of pictures when I can. I know I will end up taking a bunch while there to share with my friend who can't make it out until next year. Yet if I think about it will try to remember to pull it up at least once to check it out in there.

One other observation - Disneyland is ridiculously uncrowded. Saturday night walk on Matterhorn? Yup. Indiana Jones 10 min (as fast as u can walk the queue? Yup. I waited longer for Bengal Barbecue than anything else. Extra blocks in passes and fear of crowds seem to be working.

Or it's just that everyone got a reservation in SWGE. That was crowded!!

I noticed that too. Friday looked pretty nice, Sat looked good and so far this morning it is pretty much the same. Guess its something to enjoy until that changes.

So it looks like Ogas Cantina has started to use a reservation system today instead of having people line up and wait and then close the line and then reopen it, etc. From what Ive seen today, your able to put your name in and theyll send you a text with your estimated wait time and then text you back when your time to enter has come. This will now allow you to do other things around the Land while waiting to get into the Cantina. Genius!

That isn't criticizing what I said. Disney gave us all the option of how one wanted to do things. Hotel or try to get a reservation when it opened. People will complain either way things go and no matter how something is done but at the end of the day not all will be happy no matter what...family or non family. Those shut out still had options to book a hotel room if it was that important to them and still can actually. So technically they are not shut out but they would have to decide if the cost of those rooms is worth it to them or to just wait until it opens to all. BTW, those on other people's reservations could have all said to their friends/family as well not not add them if they got one and had not added those friends/family as well. Yet again, I doubt it would have opened much more in the way of slots. Most the people I have seen on this are not going more then one time compared to a small amount I have seen say were added to others. The ones added to most seemed to be going with family or friends that weren't on other reservations either. So far the only things I have seen really complained about is how the lines are handled for a few of the things inside to do (droids/sabers/Cantina). With that I think that those not local or won't be able to make a trip back soon to try to do more in the land are the ones that sucks for.
    There is a couple on Instagram who went at least 5 different times during the last 2 days. Which is totally unacceptable IMO.

Specific to Galaxy's Edge area...is everything is easily accessible for someone using an ecv? Anything specific a person using an ecv should be aware of? Thanks!

I tried using it in the Smuggler's Run queue. It was slow and the line was moving too fast. I didn't have any data issues for the most part, so I don't think it was my phone. I also felt there was so much stuff to see I didn't need another layer. Maybe in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyredhead View Post
    Specific to Galaxy's Edge area...is everything is easily accessible for someone using an ecv? Anything specific a person using an ecv should be aware of? Thanks!
    No, it isn't. I spent a day this week navigating with someone in a wheelchair, so I felt a little attuned to possible problems. There were several issues I noticed that would be an issue for a wheelchair or ECV. First, the walkways in the marketplace are not wide and some of the stalls are tiny. Second, there are stairs. Between Docking Bay 7 and Smuggler's Run there are stairs. Throughout the four hours they repeatedly alternated blocking the paths between different areas. At sometimes it was the stairs, at others it was the other path in. You have to go all the way around the land to get in the other way. We went around once only to find they had switched which way you can get in. I'm sure if a wheelchair or EVC tried to get in by going around they would let them pass. But in a land that is shoulder to shoulder people with lots of taped off lines on the ground it is not easy to navigate.

Ok. Thanks. So lots of patience is needed. I knew to expect crowds and difficult manueverability, but figured I would ask and get some insight from others who have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyredhead View Post
    Ok. Thanks. So lots of patience is needed. I knew to expect crowds and difficult manueverability, but figured I would ask and get some insight from others who have been there.
    I'll also add that 4 hours is a lot longer than it seems when you're in there. We eventually adopted a strategy of hanging back, looking at small details and doing things when the areas we were hanging out in were clear-ish. Don't worry about the crush of people when it first opens. Hang back, go down the entry path once the herd is inside. In an hour, half the people will disappear and it will be much more navigable for the next two hours. Then just before the final hour when the next group comes in, commit to something that doesn't require you to move around much. For the first hour we found the area by the TIE fighter and milk stand the least crowded. We did the photo op and watched the Stormtrooper show. The only thing we wanted to do that we didn't was the Cantina. But that is it's own little mess.

Blog Entries

I would like the stores in the marketplace to shops u may encounter at an airport terminal. Not too deep or wide but stuffed with items. And each shop is unique.

Which shop has the handmade items? And what kind of things besides the hand sewn dolls?