Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGE first impressions

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDisneyLover View Post
    No, but I had heard a while back that they were going to block people from entering the queue in the later portion of their 4 hour block. The reasoning was that they anticipated a wait time of up to 2 Hours to get on the ride, and they did not want people going well over their 4 hours in GE, due to waiting in the SR line. Their aim was to have people out of the land by the end of their block, and that becomes impossible if people wait until 1 hr before their block ends to get in line.

I do not see that they would change this policy, but hopefully they make a point of letting guests know about it before entering GE, so they can plan accordingly.
    But if I have the 5-9 block it should be enforced, right? There's no one new coming in at the end of my block.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Well....Then I guess Disney figured out that lots of people were going to use this strategy for their visit. Hopefully they put something in writing so that people will not wait, and then miss their opportunity to get in line.
    There is a lot of things that should be in writing that I haven't seen with this yet. They put the videos on the block with no write up to go with it as well. I know I don't care for the guy doing the videos but I did watch the last one and there has been nothing written up on how you go over to the Launch Bay in Tomorrowland and can check in 2 hrs before your reservation time. Those that have an 8am time can go at 6am but nothing will be open aside from getting this done. If they don't want people in each reservation block to get in line for the ride towards the end of their time block they really should say so ahead of time to get the word out officially. Right now we are hearing it from 3rd party basically. I can get how they might do this and why but with CMs it could be a test run to see how well it would work for everyone else as well, kwim? Hopefully sometime this week they will post something on their blog and get it out to the public with a little more info on what we all might need to know ahead of time.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I think the 8am folks will check in outside the gates. Not in Launch Bay. I had read that for Cams in one of the myriad of threads I've been reading these last two weeks.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

From what Ive heard and seen from people whove already been, you really need to prioritize whats most important to you to do. Sounds like the wait for Smugglers Run will be about an hour and the Cantina and Savis Workshop (where you can build your own lightsaber) can get up to 2 hours. Also, Smugglers Run has a single-rider line and reports are that the wait is only 10-15 minutes. However, if you choose to do single-rider, you will miss out on most of the amazing queue. I believe the lowest wait times for the ride will come in the middle of your reservation time because your only waiting with others that are in your time slot. Ive heard nothing but great reviews on the food and that the blue milk is pretty tasty! Cant wait for Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I think the 8am folks will check in outside the gates. Not in Launch Bay. I had read that for Cams in one of the myriad of threads I've been reading these last two weeks.

This comes directly from the Disney Parks Blog. Someone asked about 8am reservations and this was Disneys response...

Great information, Michael and Justin. For those of us lucky enough to have an 8:00am reservation, will we need to go to Launch Bay upon entering the park at park open?
    Todd on May 25, 2019 at 1:28 am

Hi Todd You may check in beginning 2 hours prior to your reservation time. If your reservation is at 8 a.m., you may enter Disneyland Park at 6 a.m. to check in at Star Wars Launch Bay. Please note, no attractions or locations will be open until 8 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    This comes directly from the Disney Parks Blog. Someone asked about 8am reservations and this was Disney’s response...

“Great information, Michael and Justin. For those of us lucky enough to have an 8:00am reservation, will we need to go to Launch Bay upon entering the park at park open?

Hi Todd – You may check in beginning 2 hours prior to your reservation time. If your reservation is at 8 a.m., you may enter Disneyland Park at 6 a.m. to check in at Star Wars Launch Bay. Please note, no attractions or locations will be open until 8 a.m.”
    This is why I think its important that Disney puts the info out in a better manner. I saw that in the blog and its why I posted it. So thanks for putting it here what was said. Disney needs to do a written run down of all this and not the video blogs and answers in the comments that some might not see. There is going to end up being some confusion for some come opening day and some not happy they weren't aware of this ahead of time.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

RE: Smugglers Run, the way it worked at the Cm's preview was that the first 3 hours of your slot were alotted for your group to accomplish a ride on Smugglers Run. Once you rode the attraction a mark was made on your wristband to indicate that you had ridden. Later in the first three hours the line had gotten short enough that folks were allowed to ride again. (The idea seemed to be only one ride per person, hence marking the wristbands, however since the que dropped so low later repeat rides were allowed, not sure if this will happen with the regular groups). The last hour of your window is reserved for the newer group of folks to begin queing for Smugglers as the slots overlapped and wristbands were checked to prevent those with the soon to close window from entering the line.

Also was told that after getting your wristband at launch bay you have to then go right to the que at the frontierland galaxy edge entrance where there is a line you must wait in until your window opens. Was told this was to be done as soon as you got your wristband.

Got the impression that all this was explained to the person by CM's in the area, so they well understood the rules. So hopefully it won't catch anyone by surprise.

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    This comes directly from the Disney Parks Blog. Someone asked about 8am reservations and this was Disneys response...

Great information, Michael and Justin. For those of us lucky enough to have an 8:00am reservation, will we need to go to Launch Bay upon entering the park at park open?

Hi Todd You may check in beginning 2 hours prior to your reservation time. If your reservation is at 8 a.m., you may enter Disneyland Park at 6 a.m. to check in at Star Wars Launch Bay. Please note, no attractions or locations will be open until 8 a.m.
    Cool. Thanks for the correction.

On a side note - I'm not one to go scanning alm the comments about each announcement from Disney. It's a little silly that information like this is not prominently posted. Makes it seem like they're saying "oh yeah, we should have said that". or "we should have thought of that". The videos spend more time reminding people to get a hotel reservation and how cool SWGE will be rather than delivering key information.

Blog Entries

A question that has come to my mind -and wonder if others have read this - there have been claims by some who have visited during Cast previews that you (a guest) won't be allowed to board Smugglers Run in the last hour of your reservation window. This is to ensure that the new arrivals (since 1 hour overlaps) can get a chance to ride. I can't believe its true - but wondered if anyone here has read this or know of this. Thanks.

A question that has come to my mind -and wonder if others have read this - there have been claims by some who have visited during Cast previews that you (a guest) won't be allowed to board Smugglers Run in the last hour of your reservation window. This is to ensure that the new arrivals (since 1 hour overlaps) can get a chance to ride. I can't believe its true - but wondered if anyone here has read this or know of this. Thanks.
    So far I haven't seen this any place at all. It wasn't in the write up on here either. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened during their previews but at the same time they were testing how it would go if the did such a thing. Yet IF they did this with guests after it opens I can't imagine it would go over to well for any guests that were checking the land out before going to the ride. Especially without telling guests ahead of time. If this is the case then hopefully they will be telling guests at check in but even then you will always have those not listening. At this point since we are going on the 5th, I am going to watch how things go for others to see how we will have to plan things.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    So far I haven't seen this any place at all. It wasn't in the write up on here either. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened during their previews but at the same time they were testing how it would go if the did such a thing. Yet IF they did this with guests after it opens I can't imagine it would go over to well for any guests that were checking the land out before going to the ride. Especially without telling guests ahead of time. If this is the case then hopefully they will be telling guests at check in but even then you will always have those not listening. At this point since we are going on the 5th, I am going to watch how things go for others to see how we will have to plan things.
    And then there's this in the MousePlanet Galaxy's Edge "Batuu Boot Camp" article from today- "You may find the line for the Smuggler's Run attraction is much shorter towards the end of your reservation window, and you'll have more time to explore the entire land"

Now we are all totally confused. Hopefully we will get some concrete information soon.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

And then there's this in the MousePlanet Galaxy's Edge "Batuu Boot Camp" article from today- "You may find the line for the Smuggler's Run attraction is much shorter towards the end of your reservation window, and you'll have more time to explore the entire land"

Now we are all totally confused. Hopefully we will get some concrete information soon.
    Yep. I would think if any place would have something about it we would have seen it here with that write up or in the official Disney Blog by now. So hopefully something comes up before Friday about it and if not then see what others say on Friday after being there.

Just got an email from Disney because of the reservation. It went over what we already know at this point. Now it said that once you check in you do NOT have to go over to wait to get into the land. You can do NOT need to show up until your reservation time and they will tell you which entrance to go to for going in. You MUST get the wristband from checking in at Launch Bay or you will NOT be allowed in. It also did not say anything about having to get in line for the ride by a certain time during your reservation. I think if that was the case it would have been in this email since it was giving important information that one should know ahead of going.

Just got an email from Disney because of the reservation. It went over what we already know at this point. Now it said that once you check in you do NOT have to go over to wait to get into the land. You can do NOT need to show up until your reservation time and they will tell you which entrance to go to for going in. You MUST get the wristband from checking in at Launch Bay or you will NOT be allowed in. It also did not say anything about having to get in line for the ride by a certain time during your reservation. I think if that was the case it would have been in this email since it was giving important information that one should know ahead of going.
    It does states this, but it's not clear yet how they will police it: "Your party will be required to leave Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at the end of your 4-hour reservation period."

It does states this, but it's not clear yet how they will police it: "Your party will be required to leave Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at the end of your 4-hour reservation period."
    Yes which has been said from the get go. I can imagine there are those that will try to stick around to see but I can see it being the same way they have done things for the after hour parties when they need to empty those trying to stay and didn't pay to be there.

Yes which has been said from the get go. I can imagine there are those that will try to stick around to see but I can see it being the same way they have done things for the after hour parties when they need to empty those trying to stay and didn't pay to be there.
    All I'm really wondering is if there's going to be a cutoff point from getting in line for SR prior to the end of the 4 hour window so that we can plan accordingly. We'll be heading for the exit at the end of our window unless we are still on the ride.

All I'm really wondering is if there's going to be a cutoff point from getting in line for SR prior to the end of the 4 hour window so that we can plan accordingly. We'll be heading for the exit at the end of our window unless we are still on the ride.
    Agree. I think most of us will follow what we need to with the rules on leaving on time but yes is there a cut off time. If so what would it be? An hour? A half hour? Has this been a question asked on the Disney Blog or social media? I know not everyone thinks of this stuff to ask. Of course it doesn't mean an answer will be given either. So hopefully with opening day we will hear how it goes from others in this manner.

Blog Entries

No, 8am chk in at Launch Bay at 6am...
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

Thanks - someone else posted the correction.

Was people watching before the media event last night at the main GE entrance and saw Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Chris Paul. I missed a bunch of Marvel stars arriving earlier (Evans Larson and Pratt)

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Was people watching before the media event last night at the main GE entrance and saw Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Chris Paul. I missed a bunch of Marvel stars arriving earlier (Evansar larson and Pratt)
    Watched it last night and saw a lot of them. However, when Harrison "started" the Falcon and said "Peter, this is for you." I completely and totally lost it. yeah i was ugly crying.
    Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    Watched it last night and saw a lot of them. However, when Harrison "started" the Falcon and said "Peter, this is for you." I completely and totally lost it. yeah i was ugly crying.
    Thank you for mentioning that. I didn't watch the replay of the ceremony yet (I certainly will this weekend!), but I actually didn't know Peter Mayhew had passed. Seems it happened while I was actually in WDW and wasn't reading the news on a daily basis, and somehow I guess I didn't stumble into anyone talking about it either. (really odd since I spent a lot of time in the Studios that week (DHS 30th Anniversary, May the 4th, etc) too!)

Sad.
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    But if I have the 5-9 block it should be enforced, right? There's no one new coming in at the end of my block.
    That's only if the park is closing earlier that night. For most of the visits I'll be making, we have the 8-midnight slot.

We had the chance to attend tonight, and it really was amazing. Standing and looking at the Falcon. Incredible. My only disappointment was that I really wanted to be able to touch it, and that wasn't possible for any of the vehicles, though I understand why. I did take some pictures, but I mostly just wanted to take it all in.

I enjoyed Smuggler's Run, but things happen so fast. I was an engineer, which was good because there wasn't as much to do. I still had a hard time following the story and what was on-screen though. There's a little surprise at the very end, so make sure to check that out. More info in spoiler brackets.

At the end of the ride, Honda warns about a stowaway. My first guess was a mynock. Nope, although I was surprised to discover that the creature shop sells mynocks. When Hondo mentioned tentacles, my next guess was that it was a rathtar, which turned out to be correct. From where we did our ride, we exited and then went right to find a rathtar that had been encased in carbonite, which was a photo op. It might be a different direction, depending on which ride you get. Because then we had to go back the way we had gone in to then leave. I mentioned the rathtar to a couple of CMs at Docking Bay 7, and they looked at me like I'd sprouted 2 heads. Either they don't know what a rathtar is or didn't notice it.

The land is just beautiful, and I found myself looking up a lot. The tapestry of hangings and everything is just done so nicely. There are hidden things to see in literally almost every place, in every store. So many things I recognized (including Harold the abominable snowman - twice!, pit droids, creatures I don't know the names of), so many more things I'm sure I missed.

We went over to the forest area for a bit, and it seemed smaller than I imagined, though I didn't get to explore it as much as I would have liked. It's pretty tranquil over there right now because Rise of the Resistance isn't open yet, though merchandise already exists. I kind of liked the relative quiet and could envision just sitting there enjoying the atmosphere. Chewie came over at one point and was doing some maintenance on the x-wing, but we were heading to do something else so I didn't get a chance to stick around and watch.

I tried the blue milk and thought it was ok. The plan is to try the green milk tomorrow night. We ate at Docking Bay 7, which I had been hoping to do. The husband had the pot roast and enjoyed it. I had the cold noodles with shrimp and really enjoyed it. I also had the raspberry creme puff and liked that a lot. I want to try everything on that menu. I've actually been more interested in Docking Bay 7 than the Cantina, though I think we're hoping to get into the Cantina tomorrow night. I've heard that the Cantina closes an hour before the land closes, but I don't know if that's also true for when the park is open until midnight. I'm also hoping to try Ronto's tomorrow night. I've become a little fascinated with that place as well. The wrap sounds good. And it looks like they have several additional items only at breakfast.

They have different merchandise in every store, which is good and bad. So many things! I ended up with a couple of keychains and I succumbed and got a loth cat, even though I've never watched Rebels, but the cat is interactive and so darned cute. All of the animals in the creatures store "do" something and aren't just plush, so the prices are a bit higher. I managed to walk away from the porg that allows you to open and close his mouth (and he makes sounds), and you can flap his wings. The Salacious Crumb creature is like the banshees at Avatarland in Animal Kingdom at WDW in that you can control them. I think he might make noise? I didn't pay that much attention to him. I was hoping there was a plush of him but there wasn't, so I lost interest.

We only spent a short-ish amount of time in there, but it was already feeling like home.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Nice review, thanks. I was unaware of an 8-12am slot. When I registered on may 2nd it was not on my screen. Oh well. Now I know not to wait until 8pm to go ride SR.

If the Cantina closes an hour before the park closes I wouldn't be surprised if its because of the alcohol. Generally DCA closes before DL and I can imagine most go across the way but does DCA stop selling close to the park closing? I have not been in there during that time and probably wouldn't notice.

Thanks for the review of your time cstephens.