Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: SWGE first impressions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    I was chopping it up with a CM in launch bay Friday night ... grain of salt but she said the protocol for MFSR maxpass / fastpass / “virtual line” (her words - something along lines of make a reservation for the ride & report back when you’re summoned) are still being worked out.

Now we’re t minus 6 days to the launch of SWGE sans reservations, surely DLR has a decided upon approach to this .... right ?
    What I had heard previously is they will not be offering MP/FP until ROTR is up and running. Til then, all standby.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

2. # ADS

5. Reservations will no longer be required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge after June 23. As needed, to manage demand, Disneyland Resort will implement a virtual queueing system to visit the new land so you can enjoy the rest of the resort while waiting to visit Batuu. The Disneyland app will have a dedicated module, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Status and Access, available from the main page, on which you can request to join a boarding group to visit the land, once you have entered the park. Boarding groups will be sent a push notification when it is their turn to enter the land and they can monitor status of boarding groups from the app. There will also be the ability to join a boarding group from select locations inside Disneyland park, if you are not using the app. The boarding group is tied to admission media that will be scanned upon entry into the land. Signage throughout the park will also display boarding group status. Admission into Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be subject to capacity, and having an assigned boarding group will not guarantee entrance to the land.

That is from the Disney blog with one of the Know Before You Go articles.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ive seen that before and understand. What's not discussed of course is demand management - lots of people want to get in but lots of others are already in. And spend all the time u want - which so far for me has been the best part of Batuu, just hanging out. For folks at the end of the day I hope they can get in...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Ive seen that before and understand. What's not discussed of course is demand management - lots of people want to get in but lots of others are already in. And spend all the time u want - which so far for me has been the best part of Batuu, just hanging out. For folks at the end of the day I hope they can get in...

Right and I am kind of thinking there is probably no time cap on how long one can be in the land. Which yes it can be a problem if to many do that for sure but how would they know how long anyone has been in the land? With the reservation system we had wristbands with our time on them and such so it was easy to tell who should be gone and when. Will be interesting to see how this ends up and I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to it over the first week or so as needed. I do hope that those that have not had the chance to get in are able to do so as well. I am wondering if the set up for the Cantina will be the same as well and if so how that will work if one leaves the land because they won't get in until hours later. Same with building a saber or droid. Will be interesting to see how it all goes and if Disney will say something before next week or not.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...nning-june-24/ and Mouseplanet I see has written up on this as well. So looks like Savi's and Oga's will be set up for reservations and if you have either of that set up you won't need to be in the virtual queue. As well as no time limit on how long one can be in the land either. Which no surprise there.

Just got back and was in the SW land on Wednesday. Just to be clear I am not a huge fan of SW (huge Disneyland fan) or anyone in my group of 7 that entered (yes I could only make reservations for 6, but when we were getting our wrist bracelets I explained that we were a party of 7 and the cast member gave us an extra one). We all have seen and enjoyed the movies, just not a super fan. Of our group, 2 liked the land and the other 5 just didn't think much of it. The attention to detail is of course fantastic. However, everything is confusing including the food and stores. Everyone thought the stands with merchandise were a bad idea (I would like to just go into a store). In fact, one of our party members left after 20 minutes (he knew he would have to ride alone on the ride and did not want to wait for the ride). The ride for me and the other engineer was dumb. I could not see anything and had no idea what was going on. This also true for the two gunners. Our two pilots did really like the ride however (teenage boys that love video games). I think you need to be a pilot to like the ride. I see how a SW fan would love this place but for an average park guest, it may not be too appealing. It seems the land is kind of polarizing, some people love it and others not at all. One person in our group thought it seemed like Disney let the designers just go wild with their idea of the fantasy SW land without thought to the average park visitor. Maybe Disney corporate just needs to kind of fix a few things to make it more appealing to non SW fans. I did absolutely love the bathrooms: huge with nice warm water. I will go back and hopefully after more familiarity with the land it would become more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    I did absolutely love the bathrooms: huge with nice warm water.
    I didn't notice the water temperature, but I loved that the drinking fountains in the land also have water refill stations. I hope that more the drinking fountains throughout the park are refurbished/updated to add those.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Disney corporate just needs to kind of fix a few things to make it more appealing to non SW fans.
    I'm going to disagree heavily with this. I would not want Black Spire Outpost to be dumbed down so that people who aren't familiar with details of the Star Wars universe will like it more. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but there are many details that I'm not familiar with because I'm not entrenched in all aspects of the franchise. After the initial thrill of riding Smugglers Run and visiting Oga's Cantina, I loved just walking/sitting around and admiring the look and feel of the place. At one point, I was walking towards the marketplace at a fairly busy time, and it made perfect sense that a marketplace would be filled with people. I'm not sure why one would want a regular boring store - there are loads of them elsewhere in Disneyland. A marketplace with stalls fits in perfectly in that environment. And I guess I don't understand what's confusing about the food. Sure, the initial names of the food don't necessarily make sense but they're immediately followed by descriptions of what the actual food is (chicken, beef, etc.). I think the only things that don't have proper descriptions are the snack and Oga's Obsession inside the cantina.

I figure a non-Star Wars fan visiting Galaxy's Edge would be like me visiting Harry Potter World. I would appreciate the artistry and beauty of the place even if I didn't understand the details and significance of some things because I don't know much about the underlying franchise.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Just got back and was in the SW land on Wednesday. Just to be clear I am not a huge fan of SW (huge Disneyland fan) or anyone in my group of 7 that entered (yes I could only make reservations for 6, but when we were getting our wrist bracelets I explained that we were a party of 7 and the cast member gave us an extra one). We all have seen and enjoyed the movies, just not a super fan. Of our group, 2 liked the land and the other 5 just didn't think much of it. The attention to detail is of course fantastic. However, everything is confusing including the food and stores. Everyone thought the stands with merchandise were a bad idea (I would like to just go into a store). In fact, one of our party members left after 20 minutes (he knew he would have to ride alone on the ride and did not want to wait for the ride). The ride for me and the other engineer was dumb. I could not see anything and had no idea what was going on. This also true for the two gunners. Our two pilots did really like the ride however (teenage boys that love video games). I think you need to be a pilot to like the ride. I see how a SW fan would love this place but for an average park guest, it may not be too appealing. It seems the land is kind of polarizing, some people love it and others not at all. One person in our group thought it seemed like Disney let the designers just go wild with their idea of the fantasy SW land without thought to the average park visitor. Maybe Disney corporate just needs to kind of fix a few things to make it more appealing to non SW fans. I did absolutely love the bathrooms: huge with nice warm water. I will go back and hopefully after more familiarity with the land it would become more enjoyable.
    It's an amazing achievement but as you describe it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the park as a whole. It kind of needed to be a third gate because it's so different.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I figure a non-Star Wars fan visiting Galaxy's Edge would be like me visiting Harry Potter World. I would appreciate the artistry and beauty of the place even if I didn't understand the details and significance of some things because I don't know much about the underlying franchise.
    I think this is a good way of putting it. I am not a fan of SW or Harry Potter. I can see how one might not enjoy both for the different reasons but still appreciate what was done. Yet we did have fun during our time there. I was with 3 that love SW. Heck husband has an area that he displays his new SW figures and old ones from his childhood. Our boys love that stuff as well. While my daughter and I not so much. My daughter even had fun and she misses the goats at the ranch. I had to ask my guys questions at times on what things were or meant since I had no clue. I rode as engineer both times without issue on the ride. I had let my oldest son pick what he wanted both times because it was his birthday. Then other 2 kids and husband ride where they wanted as well. They had switched places on the ride so each got a turn as pilot and as gunner. They had a blast. For all of us though the Oga's Cantina was a one and done. As I said unless someone wants to go in there ever again or my friend comes out and wants to, no desire to go back again. With the shops I think its fine BUT they are really not set up for those using ECVs. It was a nightmare walking into one to look around and there being a person on an ECV taking up so much space. It makes it impossible for one to go in and really look at things in that moment. We missed some of the stores in the marketplace and a couple other spots as well to look at but no biggie. I think my only other issue was a few things in Oga's that we came across (no ID check, rudeness from bartenders). For not being a SW I left with a monkey lizard and daughter had to have Porg. Boys ended up with a wampa and a monkey lizard as well. I told husband that I can see buying more of them over time as well. Again with the stores, I honestly like when shops are themed to the areas they are in with merchandise that is specifically for the land/ride.

jmorgan, I will say that it is a shame that your friend left like that. With the amount of time in the land and how the wait can get short during the time, some of the group could have rode with him or the group could have been split in 2 groups for the ride. I think as olegc said is how some might look at it as well. It doesn't really fit the park as a whole. Yet I don't think a 3rd gate is needed but its just one of those things where if you look at all of Disneyland and how its made up to be, a land themed to SW doesn't fit with the rest. I get it. I would say the same if Radiator Springs had been put there as well. I know I was not happy that it was put in there but going into it I wasn't bringing that with me, if that makes sense. I am sure there are those that don't enjoy every area of either park though and there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I'm going to disagree heavily with this. I would not want Black Spire Outpost to be dumbed down so that people who aren't familiar with details of the Star Wars universe will like it more. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but there are many details that I'm not familiar with because I'm not entrenched in all aspects of the franchise. After the initial thrill of riding Smugglers Run and visiting Oga's Cantina, I loved just walking/sitting around and admiring the look and feel of the place. At one point, I was walking towards the marketplace at a fairly busy time, and it made perfect sense that a marketplace would be filled with people. I'm not sure why one would want a regular boring store - there are loads of them elsewhere in Disneyland. A marketplace with stalls fits in perfectly in that environment. And I guess I don't understand what's confusing about the food. Sure, the initial names of the food don't necessarily make sense but they're immediately followed by descriptions of what the actual food is (chicken, beef, etc.). I think the only things that don't have proper descriptions are the snack and Oga's Obsession inside the cantina...
    I agree with this. We like Star Wars, but really are only familiar with the original trilogy and the most recent movies, so many of the characters and details are over our heads. But we had a great time in Galaxy's Edge. The atmosphere, all the visual details, the story behind and inside the new land -- it reminded me very much of being inside Radiator Springs when Cars Land first opened. I'm not the biggest "Cars" fan and don't know those movies very well, but I really enjoy hanging out there and appreciate how well done that land is. One of the best parts of our visit to Batuu was just wandering about exploring the land without a map, discovering all the details. We never used the app to decipher anything, so all the stalls and carts were new finds. Fun! And even with my allergies, working out the food wasn't as hard as I had feared. In the Cantina, I just had to look at what other people were eating to figure things out or just ask. CMs were fine answering my questions. We're really looking forward to visiting Batuu again and exploring more, eating more, and discovering more details that I know we missed.

Last day for previews. Tomorrow is G-Day! Any predictions on the crowds tomorrow?

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Last day for previews. Tomorrow is G-Day! Any predictions on the crowds tomorrow?
    Insane and if it isn't I will be surprised. Either way Disney has it set up for the land in a pretty good way I think. I bet getting reservations for Savi's and Oga's is going to be crazy every morning.

Looks like the new security checkpoint/Tram loading area in the new parking structure is open today. I think it's now the only checkpoint for both the original and new parking structures from what I read.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

DS17 convinced my husband to drive him down this morning just so DS could go to Galaxy's Edge, alone, all day. They got to the front gate at 8 AM and DS is still there. His stated intention is to stay until the fireworks. He's been on the ride 5 or 6 times and I'm sure he has explored every nook and cranny. Ah, to be young like that!

BTW, he says they are out of Khyber crystals at Dok Ondar's.

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    DS17 convinced my husband to drive him down this morning just so DS could go to Galaxy's Edge, alone, all day. They got to the front gate at 8 AM and DS is still there. His stated intention is to stay until the fireworks. He's been on the ride 5 or 6 times and I'm sure he has explored every nook and cranny. Ah, to be young like that!

BTW, he says they are out of Khyber crystals at Dok Ondar's.
    That is cool. As long as he had a blast doing that, right? LOL

So I wonder if it didn't get as crazy as it could have today because again Disney put word out on how it all would work or could it be because its Monday? Or is it just that the summer crowds are not in full swing just yet? Or, lastly, many are holding off because the other ride is not open yet as well? I see that tonight they have the land as open to all guests. It also looked like wait times in both parks were not bad at all either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    That is cool. As long as he had a blast doing that, right? LOL

So I wonder if it didn't get as crazy as it could have today because again Disney put word out on how it all would work or could it be because its Monday? Or is it just that the summer crowds are not in full swing just yet? Or, lastly, many are holding off because the other ride is not open yet as well? I see that tonight they have the land as open to all guests. It also looked like wait times in both parks were not bad at all either.
    Well the park was crowded last week and especially the weekend (but not gridlocked). I think it was a combination of good management by Disney, Monday, and folks just stayed away due to possibilities of large crowds. If u recall opening day may 31 was speculated to be hugely crowded but it was not, and for the rest of the week it was light. So posted on MP and Micechat and others were stories about the hidden secret that Disneyland was not crowded. Well that lasted all of one day. By the second week summer crowds came back.

Today they stopped doing the boarding groups after 4 or 5pm for the rest of the night - that tells me the total attendance for the entire park was not that high.

Blog Entries

I also wonder whether there is some "planning fatigue". I know I told my wife about all of the requirements for entering during reservation time, then requirements for today(with boarding groups, the app, and reservations) and she said "it's such an ordeal to plan to go. I just want to buy a ticket and walk in". Is it possible that's the case too? Folks are not keen on dealing with the inevitable. Just a thought I had