Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Disneyland now offering paper straws

Disney has started adding cans which have a bottle shaped opening. They have to start somewhere, if you don't agree with reduced use of lids, paper straws and trying to encourage more bottle recycling (or at least discourage them ending up on the trash), then spend your money elsewhere.

2. # ADS

Just got back from WDW and it's all paper straws there also. Not a big fan. Like others have said, collapse way to quickly. I got a Nob Hill Chill from Ghirardelli's and the straw was pretty much worthless half way through the drink. Not a fan of the paper texture/taste in my mouth. As others have said, next trip to WDW or DL I am going to bring my own pack of straws in my backpack.

I wonder if Disney would change their mind on paper straws if people would ask for another straw when the paper one starts to collapse or, when they do get their drink (if the person is going to walk and drink, they could have a straw ready to replace the crappy one). If paper straw usage doubles, perhaps they will find a better solution to this. Plus, if they truly want to help the environment, stop selling balloons.

Quote Originally Posted by missindland View Post
    I wonder if Disney would change their mind on paper straws if people would ask for another straw when the paper one starts to collapse or, when they do get their drink (if the person is going to walk and drink, they could have a straw ready to replace the crappy one). If paper straw usage doubles, perhaps they will find a better solution to this. Plus, if they truly want to help the environment, stop selling balloons.
    Yeah, when I asked at the Brown Derby the waitress said she could give me as many paper straws as I needed, but no plastic was available.

The cost of the straws themselves is not going to make a difference, they are free for Disney to dispense when compared to the profit they made on the drink you ordered that now has little bits of paper mixed in with it after 10-15 minutes. It will only make a difference when people stop buying the drinks themselves that the paper straws don't work with. I am sure that won't happen any time soon. If slushie and alcoholic specialty drink sales (the particular 2 examples I can think of where these straws are useless - there may be more) had fallen of by 50% resort-wide with the introduction of the paper straws, then we maybe would see something happen. I am guessing any impact on people's ordering habits has been minimal so far.

Smuggling in plastic straws is the way to go, I'm afraid (but I won't do it at Animal Kingdom(or any zoo or SeaWorld type place), since I do see the actual localized need to protect animals at that park). I am willing to deal with the paper for the benefit of the animals safety (or just not order things that are especially bad with the straws while there).
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Smuggling in plastic straws is the way to go, I'm afraid (but I won't do it at Animal Kingdom(or any zoo or SeaWorld type place), since I do see the actual localized need to protect animals at that park). I am willing to deal with the paper for the benefit of the animals safety (or just not order things that are especially bad with the straws while there).
    I don't know why people think they need to smuggle in plastic straws. Go to a discount store and buy a pack of them and bring some with you. Other than at Animal Kingdom, Disney won't care, unless maybe you're standing on a corner selling them. If you wanted to give them away to other people, they probably won't care either. They haven't banned straws from their theme parks (other than Animal Kingdom). They're just not giving out plastic straws anymore.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just bring my own straws (and lids). I have reusable ones too - but no one says anything about my plastic.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Smuggle may be too strong of a word then. The point was bring your own. Somewhere I did see someone (forget where, could have been as simple as some random person's YouTube comment) suggest security would not let you bring them in if they saw them in your bag when searching, but that person could have been totally making an assumption or even stirring the pot just to start a rumor.

If they do ever actually ban them from the parks, I'm obviously not planning on doing anything that could get me kicked out.

-Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Smuggle may be too strong of a word then. The point was bring your own. Somewhere I did see someone (forget where, could have been as simple as some random person's YouTube comment) suggest security would not let you bring them in if they saw them in your bag when searching, but that person could have been totally making an assumption or even stirring the pot just to start a rumor.
    I have boba straws. I could maybe see them not letting me bring those in because it's a sharp point on one end, and since boba drinks aren't sold on property, it's not needed. That would be the only problem I could see. Security doesn't care if you bring your own plastic straws.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I guess I don't get the issue with the paper straws. I went so far as to leave a paper straw in a cup for 36 hours when we were down last trip with iced tea. The straw was still usable. Bigger issue was we did have one straw break from the Starbucks paper straws where it entered at the lid.

I've brought in plastic to make sure I have a straw, and I brought a lid in. The person working Ronto Roasters laughed when I produced a lid for the cup they provided me! I need lids and straws and since I know Disney's policies, I simply provide my own.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I have boba straws. I could maybe see them not letting me bring those in because it's a sharp point on one end, and since boba drinks aren't sold on property, it's not needed. That would be the only problem I could see. Security doesn't care if you bring your own plastic straws.
    There is some sort of a thicker (wider opening) paper straw they use at DAK for the slushie drinks in Pandora that include the Boba Pearls. (not sure if that's the same thing you are talking about in a paper version - but I don't specifically recall if they were pointed at one end. I think they were just wider, but I may be mistaken.) I actually don't think those were as much of an issue for me, but maybe I just drank the beverage more quickly and didn't notice any disintegration (I've had the non-alcoholic Night Blossom a few times as a cool off drink in the heat). I've never had the alcoholic version of that drink, so I don't know if the wider straw might suffer more when it is placed in a drink that includes alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I guess I don't get the issue with the paper straws. I went so far as to leave a paper straw in a cup for 36 hours when we were down last trip with iced tea. The straw was still usable. Bigger issue was we did have one straw break from the Starbucks paper straws where it entered at the lid.

I've brought in plastic to make sure I have a straw, and I brought a lid in. The person working Ronto Roasters laughed when I produced a lid for the cup they provided me! I need lids and straws and since I know Disney's policies, I simply provide my own.
    I think the results can differ greatly with the drink.

My two examples from my most recent trip to WDW were: 1) A frozen slushie type drink I bought at the entrance area of DHS before trying to walk with it over to Fantasia Gardens mini-golf near the Swan and Dolphin. The walk takes me probably around 20 minutes, and the straw was useless by the time I was near the hotel (which was probably 15-17 minutes, estimating). The demise of the straw was probably helped by the stirring that one must do when working through a slushie, assuming you don't want to wait for the thing to melt naturally on it's own into pure liquid. Lucky for me there is an outdoor bar near a pool right along the walkway I was on, and the bartender there was nice enough to give me another straw. He and the people sitting around the bar all agreed some better solution needs to be found. 2) The other was during a meal I had one of the somewhat standard specialty cocktails served at many of the restaurants in WDW (might have been a Magical Star, but I forget without going to look it up). I only order one beverage (well, a water too normally) if I have an alcoholic drink with my meal, so I basically am trying to make it last for the hour or so I may be sitting down to have my meal. I suspect the alcohol (combined with time) in that might have contributed to the straw starting to be an issue. It was no where as bad as what happened to the one in the slushie though.

Here's a random thought: I wonder if the humidity difference in FL vs CA might make the problems worse in WDW than in DL? The straws in FL could be absorbing moisture form the air before even making it into a drink.
    -Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    There is some sort of a thicker (wider opening) paper straw they use at DAK for the slushie drinks in Pandora that include the Boba Pearls. (not sure if that's the same thing you are talking about in a paper version - but I don't specifically recall if they were pointed at one end. I think they were just wider, but I may be mistaken.)
    I wouldn't think they'd be the same, and I wouldn't expect a paper version to have a pointy end because it wouldn't be able to do what the pointy end is for. If there is boba, then yeah, they'd have to have wider straws so people could drink them. A normal boba straw is pointy (and it's actually pretty sharp) because a normal boba drink has a thin plastic film that seals the top, almost like a tight saran wrap. The straw has to pierce through the plastic so the rest of the straw will go through. I wouldn't think a paper straw would be able to pierce through the film, even if it was pointy, and I wouldn't expect the place at Animal Kingdom to put the film over the cup.

Happy to report that drinks at Hungry Bear come with lids upon request. CM said she thought this policy was in place at most/all CS locations in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Happy to report that drinks at Hungry Bear come with lids upon request. CM said she thought this policy was in place at most/all CS locations in the parks.
    Well that's good to know. About a week ago I requested one at Stage Door Cafe and was told "Sorry. Alien Pizza Planet is the only place you can still get them." I mentioned that to the CM at Alien Pizza Planet yesterday and she said "I don't think that's true at all ... I know of other places you can get them besides here." Evidently Hungry Bear is one of those places.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Well that's good to know. About a week ago I requested one at Stage Door Cafe and was told "Sorry. Alien Pizza Planet is the only place you can still get them." I mentioned that to the CM at Alien Pizza Planet yesterday and she said "I don't think that's true at all ... I know of other places you can get them besides here." Evidently Hungry Bear is one of those places.
    That is a bit odd considering that when we were in the Golden Horseshoe the CM gave us our drinks with lids on them. No asking was needed at all. If they have lids then why wouldn't Stage Door? I know the last time we were in Pizza Planet we had to ask for our lid at the register but that was not a big deal and no issues getting ones.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's probably changing procedures back and forth and the appropriate information not being provided to all CMs as far as training. I remember when it started - no lids. Then if u ask u can get one. Then some places just put them on for you - or had them available like APP. This happens often IMO.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    That is a bit odd considering that when we were in the Golden Horseshoe the CM gave us our drinks with lids on them. No asking was needed at all. If they have lids then why wouldn't Stage Door? I know the last time we were in Pizza Planet we had to ask for our lid at the register but that was not a big deal and no issues getting ones.

Indeed. Sounded odd to me as well. So I took my drink into Golden Horseshoe to ask for a lid there, where I was also told “we no longer stock lids.”

That was June 27 (8 days ago). Could’ve changed since.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Indeed. Sounded odd to me as well. So I took my drink into Golden Horseshoe to ask for a lid there, where I was also told “we no longer stock lids.”

That was June 27 (8 days ago). Could’ve changed since.
    Interesting. Yet I don't like walking or having others walk near that there are no lids on a drink in tight places like that. When outside, especially sitting under trees, one doesn't want things (or bugs) in their drinks. When we are there we usually end up with one fountain drink when we sit for a meal. Otherwise its all bottle drinks. I know as a parent that one wants a lid on those drinks when they are young. Not everyone wants to have to carry around cups for those moments or lid/straws they will be spending time washing out constantly but sounds like if the lids are on the way out that its something parents with young kids might have to start considering. Makes me glad mine are all older now. LOL
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I had an experience with what was marked as a compostable straw at lunch yesterday at burger chain called Shake Shack.

I have no idea the specifics of this straw, but it was solid! It was also individually wrapped (should have thought to look for a company name on it before I used it, but forgot).

I had a strawberry shake and it was fine, and probably stronger than any plastic straw I've encountered in quite a while too.

Disney needs to investigate and consider something like these (assuming they really are what they say). Of course if they cost a fraction of a penny more than the paper ones, I'm sure it's a no-go.

-Dave