Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Extra Load/Unloading time

Extra Load/Unloading time

After a long absence we are visiting the parks in 10 days. We'll be travelling with our family this time including my parents, sister, BIL, and nephews 3.5 and 7. The entire group will be there for 3 days and DH and I are staying an extra 2 days.

My dad has Parkinson's disease and is slower at changing positions. Once moving he's ok but there is a delay between him wanting to do something and having his body respond. I'm wondering what the procedure is for someone who needs extra time to load and unload. I know I can ask the CMs at the ride but was hoping for a bit of preparation as to which CMs are the best to talk to; right at entrance, when loading, other? He's also best if he can avoid too many stairs so knowing what options we have for BTR and Indy and ??? would be great. I'm not sure what he's going to want to ride but I'd rather be aware.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

Will he be using an ECV?
    That is a good sign for the CMs and may help his stamina. We rented my mil one from Deckerts and she was able to take it back and forth to the hotel.
    Several rides have their own load/unload areas to give him all the time he needs. Be aware CMs can steady the wheelchair but otherwise can NOT assist actually helping someone.
    In DL you likely will receive a return time for most rides. Most rides return to the exit but there are exceptions so ask at the umbrella for each ride and they can direct you. At DCA (and some rides at DL, Matterhorn and Star Tours come to mind) he waits in the standby line until a certain point where they will direct to a side load area.
    If he doesn't want to use an ECV, ask at the entrance they may still give a return time (you may need a pass from GAC CityHall). Thunder they would send him up the exit. Indy ask the CM at the stairs and they can send him up and down the elevator. Toy story ask at the load area and they will send to the alternate load area. Space mountain you will need a return time and they can send him to the alternate load area. This one is fun, you get to slide on and off the track so he has all the time he needs. Grizzly has a similar load area.
    I would try to get him an ECV though. My mil was between chemo and her cancer was stable but it's a lot of physical activity and wears them out quickly.

Thanks Candles. I'll print off this info and have it available. We'd never expect a CM to help him but with 5 other adults in the group we should be fine.

I suggested that an ECV would be a good idea and that we could rent one from offsite so he could use it at the hotel etc but the response was a firm no. I even suggested that he and mom could share it since she has some back issues but they both are opposed so I didn't push it. I figure that the days may be shorter for them and they may end up renting at the park after trying without. They are pretty active at home, golf, walks, exercise class but they haven't been to DL since before they had any health issues so I worry.

Since I'll be heading to city hall first thing for some buttons, I'll ask if he needs/qualifies for a GAC at that time and get him to come in for one if necessary.

My family hasn't vacationed together in 27 years but mom and dad wanted one last trip to take their grandsons to Disney and to pre-celebrate their 50th anniversary so I want them to have a good memories.

Don't forget the alt viewing room for the subs. The stairs in and out are difficult when you feel good. The room is a good substitute.
    ETA: Deckerts is pretty fast to deliver. I added a wheelchair the day before our last trip and had no issues.