Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Official Galaxy's Edge Opening Dates Announced

Official Galaxy's Edge Opening Dates Announced

DISNEYLAND - Friday May 31, 2019

WALT DISNEY WORLD - August 29, 2019

2. # ADS

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

WOW...that's earlier than I expected for both resorts! My Deluxe AP is unblocked for DL on 5/31 (plus another 13 days in June); however, I can just imagine the HUGE lines those days!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Important note, it will be opened here in two phases. Millenium Falcon ride ready at opening. Rise of the Resistance at a later date in phase 2
    Also, May 31 - June 23, you have to make a reservation to enter GE, info to be posted later. Guests of any of the Disney hotels will be able to make a reservation time through the hotel.
    I just booked my go-to AirBNB for the week of opening before the demand is crazy. Hoping for preview night or soft openings. May book one night at a Disney hotel if a one night minimum is ok enough to make a reservation.

Edit - Yes Pammer, I am deluxe too and was psyched they gave us some time, though it will be crazy, to try to visit before we are blacked out mid-June - mid August

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i wonder if there will be any previews at all given the reservation system. I expect a private function for a separate gate charge but no rumors or anything yet.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ywood-studios/

The blog link for info on it all for those that need it. Says they are ahead of schedule. Interesting that they are doing it this way. I am not surprised about the reservations for the land and think that was pretty smart. I am sure there will be those that want to wait until its full open but there will still be so many that will want to see it all in the phases too just so they can say they were there first. LOL No matter it will be super crazy in the area.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    i wonder if there will be any previews at all given the reservation system. I expect a private function for a separate gate charge but no rumors or anything yet.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is something announced for paid previews but maybe they will wait until later this month or next month so its closer to opening.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

So if Pixar pier preview was $300 do you think this starts at $500? That would probably be about my limit, also depends on what's included

Cool news, I am going to give it a few months to calm down before taking a trip

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

I made a few hotel reservations (off Property) during the intro period in hopes that we might secure a spot. I wonder if this is going to be one of those daily entry contests for a slot, or something like that? Also, no mention of any AP related priority, only Disney hotel guests it appears.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Blog Entries

In this past week I have read/watched three different sources that have all said there won't be AP or public previews - nor any pay for parties. That essentially this first month is the soft open if you will since ROTR is not open yet (and that is rumored to be June 24th - which is why the preview period ends June 23rd). The sources were pretty prominent - micechat, disney tourist blog, and freshbaked Disney. Obviously sources can get stuff wrong - but I thought I would relay the information. If true - at least I'll save some $$. at worst, I might not see SWGE for a while.

As far as the process - who knows. Lottery? First come first served sign up? Its open to the ENTIRE WORLD so it all depends on whether you REALLY want to be there. To make sure, you have to reserve a Disney hotel room (and remember, you will have 1 preview spot with your hotel stay, not the entire stay). As of right now (friday 3/8 1130am) if I booked a hotel on property for June 7-9, DLAND is 617 per night (for 2 adults), GCH is 729, and Paradise Pier is 412. Those are the lowest rates. Some prices higher. With a 3 day park hopper total price for PP hotel is 1706.08, and MaxPass would be another 90. Thats a big chunk of change for 3 hrs (speculated) inside SWGE.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Too much $ for us to book a Disney hotel. We don't want it that bad. If we are lucky enough to land a spot when the reservations go public, then we'll give it a go. If not, then we can wait.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Any idea or rumors of when phase 2 will open?
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Any idea or rumors of when phase 2 will open?
    See oleg's post two up from yours

My trip is already booked, time off from work approved. I had already planned on going in early June before my deluxe AP was blocked out. It doesn't really bug me that much that RotR won't be open yet. I will go back for that when my AP is unblocked, around my bday in August.

Some seem to not be understanding from what saw in comments elsewhere that even if one has a reservation that it does NOT guarantee entry into the the park if its already at capacity. There are those assuming that if you have a hotel room at one of the 3 Disney ones you are suppose to be able to get in no matter what BUT just like it has been over the many years during Winter Break, if one is not in the parks when they have a reservation for something and its at capacity they won't be able to get in just because of that. Those confused on this need to know they better get there early and stay in the park during the time before their reservation time comes up or else they may lose out on their chance in.

BTW, a guy that my husband was chatting with from one of his Star Wars group told him that his wife booked a room for 3 days at PPH. I looked myself because I know husband wants to go badly and so do my boys (daughter and I could care less if we do since we are not Star Wars fans and she is upset about the goats being gone still...girl holds a grudge). It was a weekend in June and at the cost olegc said, $412 plus tax a night. I was like not happening here to the husband for even one night. So he will have to hope I can snag him a reservation time or just wait on it until later on to go check it out.

I am not surprised if Disney is doing it this way to use as the "soft" opening for the area. Yet I also still would not be surprised to see some high priced preview options still pop up.

Don't get eliminated!

From what I have heard, there will be no previews of any kind. Just in case I got a room at the Disneyland Hotel for Thursday, 05/30/2019, and Friday, 05/31/2019. They need a 2 night minimum, and they did say when we made the reservation, we would be guaranteed entrance during one of our days at the hotel.

I am so looking forward to this, and cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by KB1ankenship View Post
    From what I have heard, there will be no previews of any kind. Just in case I got a room at the Disneyland Hotel for Thursday, 05/30/2019, and Friday, 05/31/2019. They need a 2 night minimum, and they did say when we made the reservation, we would be guaranteed entrance during one of our days at the hotel.

I am so looking forward to this, and cannot wait!
    I am curious how they can guarantee entrance. I get they are giving you a reservation slot but we all know there are some that don't show up early enough or stay in the park and things can happen and it hits capacity. There is no way to guarantee entrance if that happens. I know KB1ankenship, that you are one of those that would probably assume the worse and be there well enough time so you wouldn't get locked out but there are those that have done that in the past with just reservations for the Blue Bayou during Winter Break and complained they couldn't get to it for those reasons. So do they give a warning about this when talking to you? I am just curious since I know its all over the Blog article for it. There are some confused by what was said on that.

All I know is that is a good weekend to stay the heck away from the parks and area surrounding the parks if one is not going in them.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I am curious how they can guarantee entrance.
    It would be easy enough for them to guarantee a reservation slot, and they can even guarantee entrance, even when there's restricted entrance into the parks. I don't know if that's their intention or if they're leaving themselves an out, especially in the case of guest error, like missing your allotted time because you didn't plan accordingly. I'd be curious what the actual language says in that regard.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    It would be easy enough for them to guarantee a reservation slot, and they can even guarantee entrance, even when there's restricted entrance into the parks. I don't know if that's their intention or if they're leaving themselves an out, especially in the case of guest error, like missing your allotted time because you didn't plan accordingly. I'd be curious what the actual language says in that regard.
    That is why I was asking. I was curious about it. The official blog says this "Planning: If you’re looking to book a vacation to the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com. You should also note that vacation packages, park tickets and Disney Resort hotel stays do not guarantee access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The land —including participation in its experiences—will be subject to capacity restraints and other restrictions." and at the bottom another reminder "Capacity for the parks, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors."

Ive heard this is how the reservations will work... you will only be able to be in Galaxys Edge for a certain number of hours before youre kicked out. Essentially youll be assigned to a wave of people that are able to enter the land at the same time and will be required to leave at your designated time. For example Wave 1 will be from 8am to 12pm, Wave 2 1pm to 5pm and Wave 3 6pm to 10pm or something along those lines. Id imagine wristbands will be given out to people entering the land and all Waves will get a different color band. We shall see if this info is accurate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    I’ve heard this is how the reservations will work... you will only be able to be in Galaxy’s Edge for a certain number of hours before you’re “kicked out.” Essentially you’ll be assigned to a wave of people that are able to enter the land at the same time and will be required to leave at your designated time. For example Wave 1 will be from 8am to 12pm, Wave 2 1pm to 5pm and Wave 3 6pm to 10pm or something along those lines. I’d imagine wristbands will be given out to people entering the land and all Waves will get a different color band. We shall see if this info is accurate.
    sounds reasonable - though I think a 3 hour wave with 1 hour sweep is more likely. Fits more people in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    Ive heard this is how the reservations will work... you will only be able to be in Galaxys Edge for a certain number of hours before youre kicked out. Essentially youll be assigned to a wave of people that are able to enter the land at the same time and will be required to leave at your designated time. For example Wave 1 will be from 8am to 12pm, Wave 2 1pm to 5pm and Wave 3 6pm to 10pm or something along those lines. Id imagine wristbands will be given out to people entering the land and all Waves will get a different color band. We shall see if this info is accurate.
    This was how the Carsland party was organized, I could see them reusing the same approach, it worked well. There were only 2 waves since the party was over at 5.

Considering its by a reservation system it makes sense. How they clear the land from each group and how long will vary I am sure. If they do wristbands I can see them using different colors for each group so as to keep it straight and easy being able to let knew ones in as they finishing ushering the last set out. They have already stated no stand by is being done for this. So no res. No getting in. That was a good move IMO. I am sure they will have a bunch of those that didn't read or believe what they read still but for the most part it sounds like it should be manageable. The part that ends up worrisome is really those that think they will have a chance of getting in no matter what and still show up, kwim? This is where it will be that havoc gets created...I hope not. I do hope that those that don't get a reservation will stay away but we all know that it will probably be a major nightmare and park will hit capacity during that first weekend...if not longer. I am really hoping that it won't last to long that way though but we will see when it opens how it ends up.