Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Animal Kingdom Lodge in April

Animal Kingdom Lodge in April

I would appreciate any insight in to staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House
    * What are the best rooms or location
    * Any Hotel insight would help

Last at Disney World in 2009 and looking forward to all that is new.

Thank you in Advance

onemoreturn49

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by onemoreturn49 View Post
    I would appreciate any insight in to staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House
    * What are the best rooms or location
    * Any Hotel insight would help

Last at Disney World in 2009 and looking forward to all that is new.

Thank you in Advance

onemoreturn49
    I have stayed at AKL Jambo House two times. Book a savanna view room, Arusha savanna is the main one and my preference. Always seems to be lots of animals on that savanna. The hallways are long so if a member of your party has mobility issues, ask for a room close to the lobby.

Take time to explore all the hidden animal watching areas around the hotel, they are quiet and cozy. Interact with the staff who come from the African continent, they have great knowledge and information to share about the animals, Hotel and their homelands.

I've stayed at Jambo for 2 very short visits, but visited many other times when dining at the lodge.

I agree with looking for all the viewing areas in common areas. I even recall wandering around one morning and finding that an exterior stairwell (I think near one of the "ends" of the horseshoe) was a great spot to see animals.

My first trip (3 nights, May 2014) I actually paid for Arusha, but I was on the 4th floor. I think the view from higher floors can be impacted by the tree line. I'd suggest looking for 2nd or 3rd floor vs. 4th or 5th. YMMV (could vary greatly based on specific room vs. foliage). The second floor, IIRC is the same floor as the lobby - if that matters for your group in terms of not needing to deal with stairs or elevators. My second (very short - 1 night, August 2014) stay wasn't an Arusha view, but I was in one of the corners in one of the "spokes" off the horseshoe. I recall that morning, I was lucky enough that I got to see 3 or 4 of the Giraffes actually waking up and going fomr sitting down to standing up. I think this (by luck) happened to be within a decent view of one of the holding buildings.

Are you set on Jambo, or are you also considering Kidani? I know Kidani is technically DVC, but they sell those rooms as regular when not fully booked to members. I stayed there for 3 days last May. It was pretty good in terms of view as well. Kidani does not have as many viewing areas that are in common hallways as Jambo does though. There are some good ones right near the middle though, just down the hallways slightly from the main lobby.

I did have a particular situation during the Kidani visit that had nothing to do with the animals or grounds themselves - seems there was a massive screw up because I checked in late at night and the computer didn't recognize it. I came back from touring to find missing luggage, clothes, and bathroom toiletries! I ended up getting a free tour out of the situation for the inconvenience (and everything was returned with no damage (luckily)), but that certainly ticked me off. It was all just hotel staff, no other guests were in my room(I trust that -though I obviously wasn't there when this all happened), but it was still very disconcerting. Again, not necessarily a specific to the location, more of a general system or staff thing that probably could have happened anywhere (i.e., hand off to day shift mentioning check ins that happened after hours when the computer might have been down).

It's a great resort, hope you have a good trip! Even with the somewhat random situation I described above, I still recommend it!

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I've stayed at Jambo for 2 very short visits, but visited many other times when dining at the lodge.

I agree with looking for all the viewing areas in common areas. I even recall wandering around one morning and finding that an exterior stairwell (I think near one of the "ends" of the horseshoe) was a great spot to see animals.

My first trip (3 nights, May 2014) I actually paid for Arusha, but I was on the 4th floor. I think the view from higher floors can be impacted by the tree line. I'd suggest looking for 2nd or 3rd floor vs. 4th or 5th. YMMV (could vary greatly based on specific room vs. foliage). The second floor, IIRC is the same floor as the lobby - if that matters for your group in terms of not needing to deal with stairs or elevators. My second (very short - 1 night, August 2014) stay wasn't an Arusha view, but I was in one of the corners in one of the "spokes" off the horseshoe. I recall that morning, I was lucky enough that I got to see 3 or 4 of the Giraffes actually waking up and going fomr sitting down to standing up. I think this (by luck) happened to be within a decent view of one of the holding buildings.

Are you set on Jambo, or are you also considering Kidani? I know Kidani is technically DVC, but they sell those rooms as regular when not fully booked to members. I stayed there for 3 days last May. It was pretty good in terms of view as well. Kidani does not have as many viewing areas that are in common hallways as Jambo does though. There are some good ones right near the middle though, just down the hallways slightly from the main lobby.

I did have a particular situation during the Kidani visit that had nothing to do with the animals or grounds themselves - seems there was a massive screw up because I checked in late at night and the computer didn't recognize it. I came back from touring to find missing luggage, clothes, and bathroom toiletries! I ended up getting a free tour out of the situation for the inconvenience (and everything was returned with no damage (luckily)), but that certainly ticked me off. It was all just hotel staff, no other guests were in my room(I trust that -though I obviously wasn't there when this all happened), but it was still very disconcerting. Again, not necessarily a specific to the location, more of a general system or staff thing that probably could have happened anywhere (i.e., hand off to day shift mentioning check ins that happened after hours when the computer might have been down).

It's a great resort, hope you have a good trip! Even with the somewhat random situation I described above, I still recommend it!
    Dave, Thanks for you insight, I will be requesting room 3217 with a good view of the savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by onemoreturn49 View Post
    Dave, Thanks for you insight, I will be requesting room 3217 with a good view of the savannah!
    Glad it helped.

3217 is certainly a bit specific ! Did you have a friend recommend that? Or did you somehow figure out the room number and it's view?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Glad it helped.

3217 is certainly a bit specific ! Did you have a friend recommend that? Or did you somehow figure out the room number and it's view?
    I use touringplans.com, in the past I have used the strategy of calling the "Room Assigner" 72 hours before you arrive, which is when your reservation comes up. It has worked well at Wilderness Lodge and
    at Disneyland at the Grand California. When you are putting together a "Visit Plan" and you list your Hotel, they provide views from the rooms, sent in by others, very helpful.

This is what they say to Text to Disney, (Jambo,Flr 3,NE-facing room.Exmple:3217,3215,3213,3221,3211,3223,3225,334 2,3344 )

Rudy