Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Hows your training going? 2019 version

Hows your training going? 2019 version

Noticed the old thread was closed so i thought i would start a new one, since i think a few of us are still around.

Had to take 2 weeks off with illness so i jumped back into my training this morning and it totally felt like:

But happily when i checked my stats after i actually did ok. So now i have to see if my long run holds up.

Hows everyone elses running going?

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ive been steadily improving and getting faster over time. Right now my fastest mile is 11 min (if I have to run 1). My 5K times have gone to 34 to 36 minutes which is very fast for me compared to where I started 4 years ago. I've definitely grown stronger too - I've been part of a Galloway group in Long Beach, CA for 2 years now. It has definitely made a difference in my training not only from a performance perspective but having people to train and run with (on Saturdays) makes it a lot more enjoyable. I;ve had a slight setback this week with a knee injury so its prevented me from running complete training sessions - but I'm still reffing HS Soccer too so that gives me some activity. Overall still grinding it out and plan 3 or maybe 4 halfs this year and then mostly 5Ks.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Way to go! I agree its much easier when you have other folks to run with. I just finished my Mermaid Series 10k last week. And while my goal was just to finish, since there have been many challenges this training session that made training very hard. Well Goal completed! I was able to cross the line and actually ran the whole length of the chute which for me was an accomplishement. I really would have loved my time to have been spectacular. But for how little i was able to train it was actually i think a pretty good time for me, 16:02 pace.

It was really a cold race and it rained after i crossed the line. But its always a fun one. They gave us medals, necklaces and a nice running tech top, free photos and a buffet at the finish line. All for around forty something bucks, not to shabby. OH and this year they had people stationed at regular intervals all along the course to cheer us on, this was new and very welcome. Plus electrolytes, water, waffles and goo at the water stations, which for the 10k there were 3. They also had a half and 5k going as well Highly recommend, its become my fill in for the old rundisney January race.

Checking back in, anyone still around? Hows the training going? Im hope ing to start back up soon, if i can get some cooler weather. It's been sooo crazy hot here locally.

Blog Entries

Still going. I'm a member of a Galloway running group in Long Beach, CA (I work in LB). Had my PR at Mountains to Beach half in May- 2:54:05. Getting faster but its a long term process.

I run twice a week for 30-45 min (a tempo day and a speed day) and then a long run on Sunday. I had at least one race per month (5 or 10k) and then a halfs in Feb, 2 in may, and one in October).

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Still going. I'm a member of a Galloway running group in Long Beach, CA (I work in LB). Had my PR at Mountains to Beach half in May- 2:54:05.
    That's terrific. Congratulations!
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    That's terrific. Congratulations!
    thanks - I tried to start in 2014 but ended up with 2015, and my first half was Avengers at 4 hours. so 4 years later to shave off an hour plus. A long road but not done.

Well a couple months later and i am finally getting cool enough weather to start training again. Was chatting elsewhere with someone who had just signed up for there first rundisney race and it just brought back such wonderful memories. Everyone here was so encouraging to me when i was starting in my first race and being able to pass that along to another newbie was really special. I remember being so terrified of the "sweepers" and paces and well everything that i didn't know LOL. And i passed along the encouraging words i got here, i think from you olegc, not to worry about the sweepers to just train to the pace and know you would make it across just fine.

I sure wish Disney would start up the west coast races again. At any rate i'm starting to slowly work my way back into running with the goal of doing a 10k in early Feb. Just aiming for slow and steady at this point as i haven't been able to do any runs since April.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    Well a couple months later and i am finally getting cool enough weather to start training again. Was chatting elsewhere with someone who had just signed up for there first rundisney race and it just brought back such wonderful memories. Everyone here was so encouraging to me when i was starting in my first race and being able to pass that along to another newbie was really special. I remember being so terrified of the "sweepers" and paces and well everything that i didn't know LOL. And i passed along the encouraging words i got here, i think from you olegc, not to worry about the sweepers to just train to the pace and know you would make it across just fine.

I sure wish Disney would start up the west coast races again. At any rate i'm starting to slowly work my way back into running with the goal of doing a 10k in early Feb. Just aiming for slow and steady at this point as i haven't been able to do any runs since April.
    hey fishgal. Glad you're back in it. I just keep training with my local Galloway team. This sunday is the Long Beach half. I've done a few 5Ks and 10Ks over the summer. My other half marathons were Mountains to Beach (memorial day), OC Half, surf city half. PRed at the M2B half - 2 hrs 54 min 5 sec.

Good luck as you start to train again.

Well i'm back out of it Had my best 5 mile run ever, then the next day was vicitim of a hit and run, so no race for me. But the race folks are sending me most of what i would have gotten for going to the race, so that i can still run it when i get better. Its a major disappointment but not much i can do about it. Hope other folks' training is going better

Blog Entries
    Well i'm back out of it Had my best 5 mile run ever, then the next day was vicitim of a hit and run, so no race for me. But the race folks are sending me most of what i would have gotten for going to the race, so that i can still run it when i get better. Its a major disappointment but not much i can do about it. Hope other folks' training is going better
    Omg. I hope your injuries are not too severe. Get better soon.

I have a right knee issue that pops up (thin or gone meniscus) and it was aggravated with my double header High School soccer referee work. I have Surf City half coming up Feb 2 and OC half may 3. Some slammer races in between. Could be a walking half in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Omg. I hope your injuries are not too severe. Get better soon.

I have a right knee issue that pops up (thin or gone meniscus) and it was aggravated with my double header High School soccer referee work. I have Surf City half coming up Feb 2 and OC half may 3. Some slammer races in between. Could be a walking half in Feb.

Hope your Surf City went well.

Blog Entries
    Hope your Surf City went well.
    I'm joining you. My referee double headers created some knee issues. By mile 5 my overcompensation started pain in other parts of the body. By mile 8.5 I had to walk the rest. Then walked 3 extra miles looking for my car. It's was not a good day. I have not run since and only now a week later can I walk with a normal gate (first three days required a cane).

I'm a mess. Next race is in March I think. 5k Tustin hangar.