Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Magic Bands

Magic Bands

I have an upcoming trip and we will not be staying at a Disney resort. I was wondering if someone has an extra magic band, that they received from staying on site, would that be automatically tied to that person's account if they did not use it? Or is the only way for me to get one to purchase one?

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

2. # ADS

The Magic Band is tied to that persons account unless they deactivate it by logging into their account and specifically turn it off. Whether you can then activate that Magic Band under your account I dont know for sure; assume you could.

Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    The Magic Band is tied to that person’s account unless they deactivate it by logging into their account and specifically turn it off. Whether you can then activate that Magic Band under your account I don’t know for sure; assume you could.
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. While a person can deactivate it to prevent it from being in the system and usable, it is linked to that particular person forever (at least that's the policy right now) once linked.

The cost of a basic color one is low enough, I would just buy one. It's worth having one (though I am pretty sure you can still scan your admission media at touch points for park entry and FP+ if you choose not to buy one, though the band is handy, unless you don't like having a band around your wrist.) Since they sell them in pretty much all of the major park gift shops, you can always start your trip without one and purchase one if you decide you want to stop taking out your ticket all the time for FP+.

To the best of my knowledge, resort ones are linked by Disney before they are sent out (I've never had to link one from a resort reservation myself, it always was automatic).
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. While a person can deactivate it to prevent it from being in the system and usable, it is linked to that particular person forever (at least that's the policy right now) once linked).
    Thanks for clarifying that!

We did our whole first trip without a Magic band. The tickets scanned through our witz cases for the most part so I didn't have to take it out for FP+ etc. Plain color ones are $15 if you want to order them or pick them up once there.

And now they have all sorts of additional colors you can buy that aren't offered to resort guests.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    And now they have all sorts of additional colors you can buy that aren't offered to resort guests.
    They just added a bunch. In early December the color (rose gold) my daughter wanted was in store only, and she picked it because she didn't like the shade of the color (purple) she would have liked better. When I checked again at the end of December the rose gold was no longer in store only but they had added a lilac purple which is what she wanted to begin with.

We just got ours a week ago for next week's trip and when we picked them out about two weeks before Christmas only the old standard colors were options. I'm still working my way through the MB2.0 colors anyway. I think this makes 5 so far.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. While a person can deactivate it to prevent it from being in the system and usable, it is linked to that particular person forever (at least that's the policy right now) once linked.
    I verified this to be accurate a few months back. Once linked, it cant be unlinked - just deactivated.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!