Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: A Penny for Your Thoughts and Souvenirs

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

A Penny for Your Thoughts and Souvenirs

A Penny for Your Thoughts and Souvenirs by Lisa Stiglic

A fun, insightful look at Disneyland Resort's pressed pennies machines.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ive always been a bit of a penny enthusiast, though I usually forget to use the pre 1982 ones. I have complete sets of the 50th and 60th anniversary ones and many other random ones over the years, its a fun hobby and nice cheap souvineer.

This has always been a favorite thing to do by my kids and me. Now that they're getting older, they're not quite as interested. But they all have their plastic books full of these awesome souvenirs. Both from Disney World and Disneyland. And they have a few Legoland and San Diego Zoo pennies in there, too.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Elongated coins have always been a favorite souvenir of mine. I started buying them back in the 1970s, and I've been collecting them from all around the world ever since. One of the most fun "hunts" we've ever had as a family was searching for all the pennies for Disneyland's 50th anniversary in 2005 -- it took a couple of days, but we got every single one of them!

To be honest, I've been loving the new machines at WDW that let you buy 8 pennies at one time, using a credit card or ApplePay. It's fantastic to be able to just hold my phone up to the machine and have 8 pennies pressed. No more carrying around a ton of change.

Elongated coins really are the perfect souvenir; they're relatively inexpensive, they're fun to find, they don't take up much space, and they have a huge variety of themes and designs to choose from.

Wow! Those are some great sets to have. I love that the coin presses are inexpensive- it makes great souvenirs for everyone including the kids.

Awesome! This is a great collection idea for kids and it's cheap!! Have your kids hang on to those books.

Really? I hadn't heard anything like that for Disneyland payment. I wonder if the park plans on utilizing that type of payment. But I think part of the fun is putting the coins in the machine.