Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things First Time Visitors Don't Expect to Find at Walt Disney Worl

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things First Time Visitors Don't Expect to Find at Walt Disney Worl

My Disney Top 5 - Things First Time Visitors Don't Expect to Find at Walt Disney World by Chris Barry

Chris takes a look at some things that visitors don't expect to find on their first trip to the Walt Disney World resort.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Link seems to be broken (it takes us to the MP general Article top level page that shows this article among those shown at the bottom of the page, but the link there is broken too).

I look forward to reading.....

-Dave

It's working now.

Regards,
    Alan S. Dalinka

In relation to #4, one of the things that really, really surprised me when I was new to WDW was crazy drunk people walking around the World Showcase. Not just buzzed having a good time, but WASTED. Falling down, arguing, fighting.
    I understand the margins that Disney makes on alcohol sales and I have seen security act quickly when people start acting out too much, but really, who needs any mood or mind altering substance to enjoy WDW?
    It is the ultimate mood and mind altering substance!

I have to agree with number 1. Before I did my first trip, I read the unofficial guide, looked at maps, and researched the internet. But when I finally got to WDW, I could not believe how big the resort truly was.

Visit History: Disneyland: 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1996, & July 2016
    Walt Disney World: Aug 2003 & Aug 2008
    Tokyo Disneyland: May 90 & Feb 92
    Disneyland Paris: Nov 04

Check out my Mickey Mouse collection at Jerm's House Of Mouse

I've helped a LOT of people plan their first WDW trip -- mainly because I tell them about some of the things mentioned here, and they realize they have no idea what they're doing. I haven't found too many who don't know about the music, alcohol, and music, because these things seem to be talked about a lot on the Internet/TV/social media, etc.

As for #2, I haven't found too many people who really care about the non-Mickey merchandise on their first trip. That just doesn't seem to be a priority among very many people.

#1 is, of course, the thing that surprises most. Even after they've been warned about the sheer scope of things, they still don't fully understand it. I've known countless people who think that a week is enough to do everything at WDW. Even after I've told them that they need to limit their activities, they somehow don't understand that they're not going to be able to do everything in the four parks, not to mention seeing the water parks, Disney Springs, miniature golf, etc., in seven days. Plus, everyone seems to think that they'll also be able to fit Universal Studios and Sea World in, too.

However, the thing I've found to be the real #1 thing people don't expect is the amount of planning they need to do. Dining reservations are an absolute must if you want to dine at most of the most popular restaurants. FastPasses make a HUGE difference in whether or not you'll get to do some of the most popular attractions without spending half your day waiting in line for two or three attractions. Coordinating dining reservations and FastPasses so you don't have to spend a lot of time traveling back and forth between parks is also extremely important. People simply can't grasp a lot of this until they've experienced it for themselves.

The other thing that people just don't seem to understand before their first trip is just how crowded the parks can get at certain times of year. They either assume the crowd levels are the same all year long, or they don't have a grasp on just how jam-packed it can be at certain times of year. We've known people who have made their first trip during the week from Christmas to New Year's (without consulting us), and they were just SHOCKED at how many people were there. They came home and asked us why we love going there so much, because they couldn't imagine anyone ever enjoying themselves in a place that crowded. We explained that our trips happen at times of year that are far less crowded -- early May, early Fall, early December, January, etc. It had just never occurred to them that park attendance varied that much.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    In relation to #4, one of the things that really, really surprised me when I was new to WDW was crazy drunk people walking around the World Showcase. Not just buzzed having a good time, but WASTED. Falling down, arguing, fighting.
    I understand the margins that Disney makes on alcohol sales and I have seen security act quickly when people start acting out too much, but really, who needs any mood or mind altering substance to enjoy WDW?
    I know for a lot of people the Epcot Crawl - a drink in every country - is a big thing. Even in my prime 20's drinking times, 11 drinks would certainly be stumble down and pass out drinking, so I don't know how people do this that often, especially in the Orlando swelter. I can't say that I've ever sen it to be such a huge problem with the exception of Saturday and Sundays during Food and Wine. Seriously, Thursday and Friday at Food and Wine is awesome and then Saturday afternoon...it's way too crowded and way too drunk.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    And yes...Disney is the ultimate mind altering substance!!! Great quote Chuck!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgra View Post
    I've helped a LOT of people plan their first WDW trip -- mainly because I tell them about some of the things mentioned here, and they realize they have no idea what they're doing. I haven't found too many who don't know about the music, alcohol, and music, because these things seem to be talked about a lot on the Internet/TV/social media, etc.

As for #2, I haven't found too many people who really care about the non-Mickey merchandise on their first trip. That just doesn't seem to be a priority among very many people.

#1 is, of course, the thing that surprises most. Even after they've been warned about the sheer scope of things, they still don't fully understand it. I've known countless people who think that a week is enough to do everything at WDW. Even after I've told them that they need to limit their activities, they somehow don't understand that they're not going to be able to do everything in the four parks, not to mention seeing the water parks, Disney Springs, miniature golf, etc., in seven days. Plus, everyone seems to think that they'll also be able to fit Universal Studios and Sea World in, too.

However, the thing I've found to be the real #1 thing people don't expect is the amount of planning they need to do. Dining reservations are an absolute must if you want to dine at most of the most popular restaurants. FastPasses make a HUGE difference in whether or not you'll get to do some of the most popular attractions without spending half your day waiting in line for two or three attractions. Coordinating dining reservations and FastPasses so you don't have to spend a lot of time traveling back and forth between parks is also extremely important. People simply can't grasp a lot of this until they've experienced it for themselves.

The other thing that people just don't seem to understand before their first trip is just how crowded the parks can get at certain times of year. They either assume the crowd levels are the same all year long, or they don't have a grasp on just how jam-packed it can be at certain times of year. We've known people who have made their first trip during the week from Christmas to New Year's (without consulting us), and they were just SHOCKED at how many people were there. They came home and asked us why we love going there so much, because they couldn't imagine anyone ever enjoying themselves in a place that crowded. We explained that our trips happen at times of year that are far less crowded -- early May, early Fall, early December, January, etc. It had just never occurred to them that park attendance varied that much.
    I think people expect there to be drinks and music but I don't think they're expecting really fine wines and so many quality live music options. I think that's a surprise to a lot of people.

Once again, in regards to the non-Mickey merchandise - I agree that it's not a priority, but I think the first-timer never expects the level of shopping and diversified products that they can find, especially in a place like World Showcase. We have these beautiful serving trays from Provence and whenever we take them out and use them, guest will comment. "Where did you get them?" They're always shocked when we say, "The France pavilion at Epcot."

I would agree about planning. Nobody has a grasp on it until you've been there a time or two.

I've had the exact same conversation with people who have just returned from Christmas break, or Spring Break. "How can you guys go there when it's so packed??" I always respond quite simply, "Have you ever known me to go during Christmas week ...or any of the other jammed times of year?"