Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Is a Disney Cruise Worth the price?

Thumbs up Is a Disney Cruise Worth the price?

Hi,

Do you think a Disney Cruise is worth the price?

I know there are several ports now and we could do a 3 day Disney cruise (Maybe $1,600 starting price) instead of a full 7 day cruise, but how does a Disney Cruise compare to Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruises?
    We have two girls, 13 and 9.

Last edited by AVP; 12-02-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Removed self-promoting link

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWorld3321 View Post
    Hi,

I know there are several ports now and we could do a 3 day Disney cruise (Maybe $1,600 starting price) instead of a full 7 day cruise, but how does a Disney Cruise compare to Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruises?
    I think it depends on what Disney extras you will get for your money. We've done two Disney cruises and while I thought both of them were well worth the price paid, I do not believe that is true for every itinerary.

If you are planning a Caribbean cruise, Disney's private island is largely considered well worth the price of admission. We last did that in 2000 and my understanding is that there have been significant improvements since then. What I remember of that trip was how dirty/touristy the other stops seemed in comparison. I am sure that a lot has changed at the others ports as well, but I'm not sure those changes will all have been for the better.

If you are planning one of their other cruises, I have a harder time justifying the premium unless there are special Disney only tours or events that you want to participate in. We did a CA Coastal Cruise that was amazing - but it also included a lecture from John Lasseter (before he was exiled in disgrace) and Jay Ward (Cars). That cruise also featured the opportunity to tour the Lasseter winery, although I think the tour cost almost as much as the cruise itself.

We have done other cruises on other cruise lines, and while they are not as good/clean/etc as Disney, they are not bad either. Many of the newer cruise ships have lots of activities for kids, tweens, and teens and my kids have had a blast on all of the cruises we have taken. I don't think I can personally justify a Disney Cruise unless there is a compelling reason. Which is sad, because I was recently drooling over one of the DVC member only cruises. But when I did the math, the extra goodies that are given out during those cruises could not justify the premium compared to a similar trip on a non-Disney cruise line and even if one factored buying all of the "free" extras on ebay at exorbitant prices.

I can't give you a direct comparison to other cruise lines, because it really depends on what ship you are on. For instance, on Carnival, the "Fantasy" class ships were built in the 1990s and hold about 1/2 as many people as the "Vista" class ships which started coming online in 2016 and are still being built. As one might expect, the newer/bigger ships have more on-board offerings. Whether those offerings and/or itineraries are relevant to your family is probably subjective as I expect those ships also command a premium over the older ships.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWorld3321 View Post
    Hi,

Since you're a travel agent, what advice do you give to clients in a similar situation? Or are you asking for input from people who have sailed the non-Disney lines to compare to your experience on the Disney Cruise Line?

We welcome travel agents to participate on MousePad, but do not allow self-promotional links. Thanks for following the Community Guidelines.

Adrienne
    - for the moderators
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.