Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Candlelight Ceremony

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Candlelight Ceremony

    Does anyone know who will be the narrators this year, or have any clue?

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Blog Entries
    4

    the leaked names usually come out the week of the event (so next week).

    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

  4. #3
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    Last year, the narrator's name didn't come out until the day before or the day of the first show. They did a pretty good job of keeping the name under wraps.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  5. #4
    It was a good day! Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterose4410 View Post
    Does anyone know who will be the narrators this year, or have any clue?
    In the past the names were usually leaked/announced 2-6 week prior to the performance. Last year, they withheld the name, and while we had a couple guesses (due to seeing certain security people, I had 2 guesses, and one was right....) the morning of, it was an unknown until about 430p on Sat when he walked out and waved.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    In the past the names were usually leaked/announced 2-6 week prior to the performance. Last year, they withheld the name, and while we had a couple guesses (due to seeing certain security people, I had 2 guesses, and one was right....) the morning of, it was an unknown until about 430p on Sat when he walked out and waved.
    We were there for the first show and nobody around us knew or had heard any rumors about who it would be. When they announced Chris Hemsworth was the guest narrator, there was quite a response from the crowd, mostly from a particular gender.

  7. #6
    It was a good day! Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moedad View Post
    We were there for the first show and nobody around us knew or had heard any rumors about who it would be. When they announced Chris Hemsworth was the guest narrator, there was quite a response from the crowd, mostly from a particular gender.
    Yep! When he came out for the "rehearsal" (basically, walk out from behind Tour Gardens, walked up to the podium, look at the layout, walk back to tour gardens, all of about 8 mins) there was plenty of response. I was with my daughters, and a couple women my age, and they were all fan girling.

    During the performance, we were seated within his sightlines. He spotted my son and his friend in the audience, and actually laughed at them.

    It might have been their suits...
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  8. #7

    Looks like Chris Pratt is the narrator tonight! A downgrade from last year's Chris IMO.

    "If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear."
    -Winnie the Pooh

  9. #8

    So I assume it will be Chris Evans next year?

    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

    Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

  10. #9
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyland addict13 View Post
    Looks like Chris Pratt is the narrator tonight! A downgrade from last year's Chris IMO.
    Wow, what a mean comment. Totally uncalled for.

    Chris Pratt did a terrific job tonight. From what I've heard, he filled in for someone else, who was unable to do it because of illness. Chris was very sincere in his reading, and he was also a little funny, as he had a few errors. But he really seemed to enjoy being witness to and being part of the ceremony. He was a joy to watch, especially knowing that he understands the significance of what he's reading aloud. He also seemed to choke up a little when he mentioned his son, who was watching in the audience.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  11. #10

    I agree that Chris Pratt's sincerity, especially when speaking about his son, was evident and clearly communicated to the audience. He really seemed to enjoy narrating and tried very hard to be warm and relatable in his reading. The crowd in our section was very happy when his name was announced and very enthusiastic in their support of his performance.


  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Wow, what a mean comment. Totally uncalled for.
    Thank you for your judgment. I respect your right to your opinion. Chris Pratt is an enthusiastic member of a church that encourages gay conversion therapy so sorry if I'm not a HUGE FAN. We can all choose who we will support and sometimes that comes out in comments about said people.
    "If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear."
    -Winnie the Pooh

  13. #12
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    In case anyone is interested - from the 5:30 show of Candlelight, with Chris Pratt as the guest narrator. Some pictures of Chris Pratt, some general pictures of Candlelight, and 3 videos of Chris Pratt narrating - video one, video two and video three, which was his final speech of the night.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  14. #13

    Chris Pratt what a great choice!

    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Chris Pratt did a terrific job tonight. From what I've heard, he filled in for someone else, who was unable to do it because of illness. Chris was very sincere in his reading, and he was also a little funny, as he had a few errors. But he really seemed to enjoy being witness to and being part of the ceremony. He was a joy to watch, especially knowing that he understands the significance of what he's reading aloud. He also seemed to choke up a little when he mentioned his son, who was watching in the audience.
    I agree, I think he did a great job, and really tried hard to tell the story from his heart and not just read a script. It really made him relatable and sincere to the audience, and perhaps just maybe he reached a lot of young hearts that way with God's Word! I think it's wonderful when the narrator truly believes in what he is saying!

    May I ask how do you know someone else was supposed to do it... who do you think it was? I guess that's why Disney waits till the last minute to announce.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    In case anyone is interested - from the 5:30 show of Candlelight, with Chris Pratt as the guest narrator. Some pictures of Chris Pratt, some general pictures of Candlelight, and 3 videos of Chris Pratt narrating - video one, video two and video three, which was his final speech of the night.
    Wow, Cindy, you were so close to everything!

    Before Saturday, I was sure they'd have Emily Blunt as the guest narrator.

    We saw Chris Hemsworth's performance last year as well as Chris Pratt's at the 2nd performance last night. CH was everything you'd hope for in a narrator of such a reverent, moving show. CP was perhaps not as polished, but definitely gave a more accessible, "Hey, we're all friends here" kind of performance, and his closing bit about what Christmas means now that he's a dad was very touching and sincere. Both Chris' brought their own styles to the podium (as every narrator does) and were outstanding.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    As Moedad said, wow on how close you were. This isn't our kind of thing but it sounds like Chris Pratt did a good job. I was joking with my husband and one of my sons about which Marvel movie actor would be there next year. LOL Husband said it will probably be a Star Wars actor next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it was either.

    BTW, I know there are actors that I don't care for and won't watch but I think skipping over the post would be better then acting in such a manner. I agree that what was said was uncalled for.

    For those that were there to watch the shows, I am glad you all enjoyed it and were able to do so. And as always, cstephens, thank you for sharing your pictures and videos. It is appreciate.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  17. #16
    It was a good day! Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1

    We were fortunate enough to see both Saturday and Sunday's 530p show. The first reading, I love that he went off script, but figure he got "a talkin to" as that is a no-no. You could tell Sunday there were times he wanted to add things and didn't. Until something happened, and he couldn't resist. (He simply said when we all wanted to say!)

    Here are a few pics (taken by MDM)




    Planning 3 trips at once...

  18. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca

    Malcon10t, thank you for sharing the pictures and what you thought about it. Glad you all enjoyed it and nice pictures. You had a good spot as well to watch from it looks like.

    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

    According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

  19. #18
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    You could tell Sunday there were times he wanted to add things and didn't. Until something happened, and he couldn't resist. (He simply said when we all wanted to say!)
    Too funny. Was that the only off-book thing he said during the Sunday show?


    I was wondering if the crowds at the Saturday shows are more respectful than those at the Sunday shows because I figure the Saturday show people are there more for the show itself since the guest narrator isn't announced in advance, whereas by Sunday, those who are there more for the speaker are having a chance to come for that reason. I thought the crowd was very respectful for the first Saturday show, though they clearly gave him a warm welcome. I was a little concerned about Chris Hemsworth last year, but again, the crowd was pretty respectful at the Saturday show I attended. I didn't hear about what the Sunday shows were like.

    And, I get that people are excited to see the celebrity but should still be mindful that Candlelight is the point of the occasion.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  20. #19
    It was a good day! Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Too funny. Was that the only off-book thing he said during the Sunday show?


    I was wondering if the crowds at the Saturday shows are more respectful than those at the Sunday shows because I figure the Saturday show people are there more for the show itself since the guest narrator isn't announced in advance, whereas by Sunday, those who are there more for the speaker are having a chance to come for that reason. I thought the crowd was very respectful for the first Saturday show, though they clearly gave him a warm welcome. I was a little concerned about Chris Hemsworth last year, but again, the crowd was pretty respectful at the Saturday show I attended. I didn't hear about what the Sunday shows were like.

    And, I get that people are excited to see the celebrity but should still be mindful that Candlelight is the point of the occasion.
    Sunday's performance had only the one "off script" comment. He got a round of applause for it.

    I'm trying to see if I can get a copy of the video of Sun off script.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •