Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: holiday time at Disneyland

olegc, last weekend was a 3 day weekend for all since it was Veteran's Day and the start of the holidays in the parks. So not surprised it was. I am sure it was a reason it has been this week as well. I wanted to go last weekend but knew it would probably be crowded but we also ended up doing other things. I am sure a lot of the during the week crowds is those coming in after work/school. Also another reason is those with the pass that will end up blocked next week. They only have so many days to go and enjoy the holidays and all the offerings with it compared to the other APs. I can imagine tonight will be pretty packed as well.

BTW, I am with you on how things will look next year. I've been questioning it since they said it was going to be put in Disneyland and how it would end up. The fact is Disney would rather it be this way though. More people to them equals more money. This time of year I bet there are many of us that do a little holiday gift shopping in the parks...and it might be more then we normally buy at other times in the year. I know I try to get a little something for a couple people this way and this year a few more then usual. Plus I can't resist adding a new holiday pair of Minnie ears to my collection.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    olegc, last weekend was a 3 day weekend for all since it was Veteran's Day and the start of the holidays in the parks. So not surprised it was. I am sure it was a reason it has been this week as well. I wanted to go last weekend but knew it would probably be crowded but we also ended up doing other things. I am sure a lot of the during the week crowds is those coming in after work/school. Also another reason is those with the pass that will end up blocked next week. They only have so many days to go and enjoy the holidays and all the offerings with it compared to the other APs. I can imagine tonight will be pretty packed as well.

BTW, I am with you on how things will look next year. I've been questioning it since they said it was going to be put in Disneyland and how it would end up. The fact is Disney would rather it be this way though. More people to them equals more money. This time of year I bet there are many of us that do a little holiday gift shopping in the parks...and it might be more then we normally buy at other times in the year. I know I try to get a little something for a couple people this way and this year a few more then usual. Plus I can't resist adding a new holiday pair of Minnie ears to my collection.
    Oh I'm fully aware that holidays = crowds, and thanks for reminding me about the blockouts (must be majority of reason) but I think the impact for next year is much more than we could ever think. Maybe not due to the extra blocks but we shall see.

And to think Disney today announced they won't be using the expanded space at the convention center for D23 expo. I guess they must live it when guests are crowded in. Need less CMs to man positions

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Oh I'm fully aware that holidays = crowds, and thanks for reminding me about the blockouts (must be majority of reason) but I think the impact for next year is much more than we could ever think. Maybe not due to the extra blocks but we shall see.

And to think Disney today announced they won't be using the expanded space at the convention center for D23 expo. I guess they must live it when guests are crowded in. Need less CMs to man positions

These are things I have wondered about what Disney was thinking with putting SW land in Disneyland. Disneyland already gets pretty crowded around this time of year but then the time around Christmas and New Year's is the worse of it. We see them have to shut guests out during those days at times as it is. Its really going to be much worse next holiday time for sure. Even with the days set up like they are for APs. I did a survey a bit ago on theme parks here and I am hoping that what I saw is not something they are looking into seriously. Not just Disney but Knott's and Universal as well since it was the 3. Basically the short of it was that it was mixing in a pass that had not just days set up like they have now with good to go/blocked but days by reservation only. Which for locals around any of the 3 parks, IMO, is a bad idea since most of us don't plan when we go until last minute at times. Guess time will tell though what will happen after SW is open and what comes from that. I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes in what is done with the passes.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    These are things I have wondered about what Disney was thinking with putting SW land in Disneyland. Disneyland already gets pretty crowded around this time of year but then the time around Christmas and New Year's is the worse of it. We see them have to shut guests out during those days at times as it is. Its really going to be much worse next holiday time for sure. Even with the days set up like they are for APs. I did a survey a bit ago on theme parks here and I am hoping that what I saw is not something they are looking into seriously. Not just Disney but Knott's and Universal as well since it was the 3. Basically the short of it was that it was mixing in a pass that had not just days set up like they have now with good to go/blocked but days by reservation only. Which for locals around any of the 3 parks, IMO, is a bad idea since most of us don't plan when we go until last minute at times. Guess time will tell though what will happen after SW is open and what comes from that. I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes in what is done with the passes.
    And with those reservations you will see an uplift charge depending on day. My prediction. So u will pay for a pass, get blocked more, and pay extra to go on certain days. (Holidays, etc.).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

And with those reservations you will see an uplift charge depending on day. My prediction. So u will pay for a pass, get blocked more, and pay extra to go on certain days. (Holidays, etc.).

It was a bit odd for sure. It was giving blocked days like normal. Days you can go varied with mixed in days you needed the reservation and so on. Yet most seemed to have a lot of the reservation days as options. Like I said it would be to confusing in the long run for any place to set up APs in such a manner I think. It didn't look like you were paying more then the pass but the suggestions given were not what I would be ok with when paying anywhere from $100 less then we do now to a couple 100 or more then we do now per pass. With each one you had to answer it would flip to asking if you would pay for the pass with reservation options on it or one of the ones they already have now. Which of course I would never pick that one when given a choice. Like I said hopefully something like this never comes to be because it doesn't seem worth the cost of an AP at that point when you have to book your day to go. I gave some feedback on how it didn't really give enough detail on how something like this would work as an option and didn't ask how one felt about it as an option in general. So I wonder who was behind that survey though in the end and was trying to push this idea like it was a good option over what we have now. LOL

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Last night I arrived at DCA around 415 and was leaving by 545 - and the sea of humanity coming down the parade corridor was crazy. Almost all flowing one way. Mickey and Friends has been closed almost every day (Thursday night for 3+ hours). Toy Story parking lot shuttle lines super long.
    There was a DVC party last night that officially started at 9 but people could get entry starting at 7 if they didn't already otherwise have admission.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    There was a DVC party last night that officially started at 9 but people could get entry starting at 7 if they didn't already otherwise have admission.
    We were leaving DL around 7:45pm on Thursday evening heading towards Harbor and there was a HUGE line wrapped around the ticket booths on that side, and then there were humongous lines at all of the security tents with many more people walking towards us! I heard some people wondering why it was so crowded and I let them know about the DVC event, but I feel sorry for anyone coming to enjoy the holiday festivities that night who didn't know to expect all that!

BTW...we were in the parks Tuesday evening through Friday evening and there were big crowds every day in both of them! We were able to enjoy plenty of stuff anyway due to our experience navigating the parks, but it definitely wasn't the 3s & 4s that Touring Plans had predicted! Also, they were filming the Christmas Parade on Thursday around 11:30am, so that brought even MORE people into the parks that day.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Blog Entries

I trust wonder if most prediction algorithms need to be adjusted. Definitely new patterns are appearing.

Just got back from our Happy Place, and totally concur on the crowding situation. As luck had it, Thurs 15th was our "off" day... we had anticipated doing Knotts, but opted out of that. 4 of our group did DTD / The VOID, then Garden Walk (v. disappointing). DH and his Sister went into the parks for rides/shopping (APs) while I stayed at the hotel with the kids (1P/D tickets)... and they were amazed at the crowds and came back around 7:30. We knew about the DVC event in advance, not that it impacted our choices, but at least we knew. Hearing that they also did Parade filming makes me really glad that was our off day! YIKES!

Of course with the big celebration on Sunday, we had the shock and awe of walking smack into the biggest crowd I've ever seen waiting for bag-check on Harbor side... at least Disney was prepared and had tape-out lines... every tent open, and good crowd flow considering! I mean, we DID expect crowds but still... WOW! The crowd of people at the gates to ToonTown was something else as people rushed to Mickeys house with sippers and plushies and cupcakes and all manner of "props" for their photos with the Birthday Cheese. I was actually surprised that they chose NOT to double-bill the celebration. After all, it IS Minnie Mouse's birthday TOO! We opted to bypass the Character Parade and the special moment at the castle. Honestly, the wait-times on the Frontierland side of the park were totally doable since most of the crowds were at the Hub. I think the longest lines we waited in all day were the line to meet Mickey (45-60, right away at TT gate opening... they really needed two rooms open from the start... second room didn't open until 10am).. and the lineup at the pretzel stand in Frontierland (30mins). Other than that, it was never too bad. Standing in the entrance line, I said to my family "Never seen crowds like this... but it is our last day so we will do A, B, C and D... anything else is bonus". I was pleased and relieved that we actually did SO MUCH more than I thought we would be able to. And as we wandered out of the park at 11pm, we had no regrets. We had a terrific day!

Faith Trust and Pixie Dust!
    Disneyland '85, '90, '00 and DLR '05, '10, '13, '14 and 2017

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Spent Thanksgiving at the resort.

The gingerbread house is up in the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel. As usual, there are lots of hidden Mickeys in the gingerbread house.

At Festival of Holidays, I finally had a chance to try the turkey and stuffing tamale with cranberry relish. Oh my goodness, SO good! I also had the warm bourbon cider with bourbon-infused marshmallow, which I'd had last year. Still good.

Found this cute holiday travel mug. I may need to buy this. They also had this cute Mickey snowman ornament mug.

We rode Small World Holiday twice. I hadn't noticed these gingerbread hangers from last year but a friend said they were there last year. Here are three videos from Small World Holiday - video one early in the ride, a gingerbread section that's new this year, and video from the final room.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We had a chance to attend the Christmas version of classic afternoon tea at the Disneyland Hotel. It was even more sugar-centric than normal, so I had treats left over that I shared with friends later. Pics of salad, sandwiches and sweets. They always have nicely themed centerpieces. The current menus for Christmas tea.

Love Viva Navidad, and we had a chance to watch it on Saturday. Video one and video two - I love watching Minnie and her dress. I still can't believe they don't sell plush of Mickey and Minnie in their Viva Navidad costumes.

cstephens, thanks for sharing the pics. I wish I had someone that would go do the tea with me. Looks so good too! And from what I have seen of the pictures, I agree that the centerpieces are very nicely done.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I wish I had someone that would go do the tea with me. Looks so good too!
    I think you said your husband isn't interested and your kids are too young? How about grabbing a friend to go with you?

Had a chance to try a few more things from Festival of Holidays food. The roasted turkey slider and holiday stuffing mac and cheese - I like the turkey slider because it had a nice chunk of turkey in it. I thought the presentation was a little odd - maybe not have the cranberry sauce so that it looks like someone killed the turkey a minute ago? I might like the flavor overall better of the turkey and stuffing tamale but this version is more turkey centric, so I'm torn. The mac and cheese was ok - it wasn't the kind of stuffing I expected. The braised pork belly adobo with garlic fried rice, and the cornbread cakes with collard greens - we enjoyed the pork belly adodo last year so wanted it again. This year, we were smarter and shared one portion. It's really good, but it's also very rich. Love that the garlic fried rice is actually garlicky. I didn't think I'd like the cornbread cakes, and I was right. With very few exceptions, I'm not a fan of cornbread. I was also disappointed that the collard greens were inside the cornbread cakes, so I didn't end up having any of that. I had a few little pieces of bacon and left the rest of the dish to the husband. Holiday ham shanks with brown sugar-pineapple glaze - I guess I didn't know that ham shanks meant "on the bone". That was an unexpected delight. Ham tastes so different that way, and this was delicious. I was also right that I'd find the glaze to be too sweet. I'm definitely planning to have this again, no sharing, and asking for it without the glaze.

We were also able to attend the 5:30 show of Candlelight, with Chris Pratt as the guest narrator. Some pictures of Chris Pratt, some general pictures of Candlelight, and 3 videos of Chris Pratt narrating - video one, video two and video three, which was his final speech of the night.

I think you said your husband isn't interested and your kids are too young? How about grabbing a friend to go with you?
    For him, he just can't do tea. No my kids are older. My oldest is 20. He does like tea but not sure he would want to do it. The other son (16) doesn't do tea and daughter (12) is not big on it either. I had hoped to work something out with my friend to come visit this time of year and do it but things didn't work out time wise for me. We used to go grab tea in the Glendale Galleria years ago when we both lived in Burbank and they had a little tea place there. She is the one that would totally do it. Going to try for next year.

Thank you for sharing the pics of the food you tried and what you thought. I love turkey but am not a fan of cranberry. Did the ham shank have a lot of pineapple taste to it? 16 yr old wanted to try it but he is like me and not a fan of pineapple. LOL

BTW, saw who you met from GH. Very cool! Love the sass she puts into her characters.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    She is the one that would totally do it. Going to try for next year.
    Remember that they have tea year round. It's usually the classic version, but then they have themed versions for various holidays - Valentine's, Easter, Mother's Day, Halloween and Christmas.

Did the ham shank have a lot of pineapple taste to it? 16 yr old wanted to try it but he is like me and not a fan of pineapple.
    I didn't think it was heavy on the pineapple. The sauce was just too sweet for me as I don't care for sweet ham. I'd ask for it without the pineapple on top and without the sauce (or ask for the sauce in a separate dish so that you can taste it and then dip the ham in it if you end up liking it).

Remember that they have tea year round. It's usually the classic version, but then they have themed versions for various holidays - Valentine's, Easter, Mother's Day, Halloween and Christmas.

I didn't think it was heavy on the pineapple. The sauce was just too sweet for me as I don't care for sweet ham. I'd ask for it without the pineapple on top and without the sauce (or ask for the sauce in a separate dish so that you can taste it and then dip the ham in it if you end up liking it).
    Yes I do remember its year round. If we had the time my friend and I would have done it Mother's Day weekend during the last Tink marathon weekend but we decided to skip it. Will drag someone with me one day or just wind up going alone when I can sneak over there alone. LOL

Thank you for that. We both like sweet ham but not overly sweet. So will remember if he wants to grab it to ask for no pineapple and sauce on the side.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Finally had a chance to try the turkey pot pie soup at Pacific Wharf Cafe. It was so good - lots of nice chunks of turkey. And since we haven't eaten there in a while, I've forgotten how good the sourdough bread bowls are. And the soup bowl is the perfect size bread too.

We also had a chance to watch the Christmas Fantasy Parade. Been a while since I've watched the whole thing.

But the pre-parade with miles of girls doing age-inappropriate dance moves? That, I didn't enjoy so much.

Blog Entries
    Finally had a chance to try the turkey pot pie soup at Pacific Wharf Cafe. It was so good - lots of nice chunks of turkey. And since we haven't eaten there in a while, I've forgotten how good the sourdough bread bowls are. And the soup bowl is the perfect size bread too.

We also had a chance to watch the Christmas Fantasy Parade. Been a while since I've watched the whole thing.

But the pre-parade with miles of girls doing age-inappropriate dance moves? That, I didn't enjoy so much.
    That soup is one thing I have not tried yet this year. Need to get there now...

And you probably just hit whatever group was signed up to perform before the pre-parade. I'll see it later this week and I bet I get a marching band.

Tried the gingerbread ice cream sandwich at Schmoozie's today, and it was pretty darn awesome. I also realized I'd never been to Schmoozie's before this, lol. But anyway, this is my new favorite holiday treat anywhere in the resort. I love gingerbread, so that may be part of it. The gingerbread cookies were fresh and wonderful, and the ice cream is brown sugar cinnamon. The ice cream is also rolled in crushed ginger snaps (crunchier than the sandwich cookies, but also good). The sandwich is topped with a small chocolate gingerbread man. I loved every bite of this, and the ratio of cookie to ice cream was perfect. Maybe I'm just a crazy pregnant lady, but hot damn that was good.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Tried the gingerbread ice cream sandwich at Schmoozie's today, and it was pretty darn awesome.
    Hmmm, I hadn't heard about that. Might need to try that. Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Tried the gingerbread ice cream sandwich at Schmoozie's today, and it was pretty darn awesome. I also realized I'd never been to Schmoozie's before this, lol. But anyway, this is my new favorite holiday treat anywhere in the resort. I love gingerbread, so that may be part of it. The gingerbread cookies were fresh and wonderful, and the ice cream is brown sugar cinnamon. The ice cream is also rolled in crushed ginger snaps (crunchier than the sandwich cookies, but also good). The sandwich is topped with a small chocolate gingerbread man. I loved every bite of this, and the ratio of cookie to ice cream was perfect. Maybe I'm just a crazy pregnant lady, but hot damn that was good.

Ill second that on the Gingerbread Ice Cream sandwich! Also awesome from Scmoozies is the Peppermint Shake. Peppermint ice cream shake with a green whip cream topping and peppermint candy crumble, so yummy.

Also, loved the Peppermint Churro Sundae from the Golden Horseshoe. Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge, brownie bites, whip cream, and churros filled with cajeta. Loved every bite of it!

For gingerbread fans, the gingerbread cookie ice cream at Salt & Straw is yummy! (It does have rum in it, if that is a problem for anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    For gingerbread fans, the gingerbread cookie ice cream at Salt & Straw is yummy! (It does have rum in it, if that is a problem for anyone.)
    I wonder if it will stay frozen long enough to get into the park and eat it while riding on Pirates Of The Caribbean?
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    Also awesome from Scmoozies is the Peppermint Shake. Peppermint ice cream shake with a green whip cream topping and peppermint candy crumble, so yummy.
    I had this as well...very tasty!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021