Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Hatbox Ghost Tiki Mug??

Hatbox Ghost Tiki Mug??

I just saw a WDW Today tweet saying that Florida has a Hatbox Ghost tiki mug starting today. Has anyone heard anything about it materializing (sorry, couldn't resist) here?? I WANT ONE :-)

2. # ADS

Hatbox Ghost Tiki Mug??

The Disney Parks Blog said a new tiki mug would be coming to Trader Sam’s at DLR “later in the Halloween season” back when they announced the popcorn buckets & poison Apple steins in August. Fingers crossed! I’ll be there the 28th & 29th and would love to get one.

-- Cindy

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    The Disney Parks Blog said a new tiki mug would be coming to Trader Sam’s at DLR “later in the Halloween season” back when they announced the popcorn buckets & poison Apple steins in August. Fingers crossed! I’ll be there the 28th & 29th and would love to get one.
    so if its been released at WDW now, I would say either Thursday this week or Monday next week it will come to our Trader Sam's. Just my opinion.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    so if its been released at WDW now, I would say either Thursday this week or Monday next week it will come to our Trader Sam's. Just my opinion.
    I'll already be there on Friday, so I'm crossing fingers that magic happens and it comes out that day. Otherwise I'm probably out of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    I'll already be there on Friday, so I'm crossing fingers that magic happens and it comes out that day. Otherwise I'm probably out of luck!
    Are you going to MHP this Friday, the 12th? (Costumes??)

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Are you going to MHP this Friday, the 12th? (Costumes??)
    Sadly, no... missing out this year. Partly cost, partly because pregnancy :-( I think next year I'll bring the kiddo though! I will be re-using the Evil Queen from SDCC on actual Halloween though (daughter wants to be Snow White, and she's assigned Dopey to my husband, haha!)

Well, we'll miss you at the party this year -- but will hold you to your promise for MHP next year! Congratulations on little one #2!! And we'll look for you on Friday -- we'll be in the parks, too. Look for the hoppinest meter maid and her popsicle salesman!

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Well, we'll miss you at the party this year -- but will hold you to your promise for MHP next year! Congratulations on little one #2!! And we'll look for you on Friday -- we'll be in the parks, too. Look for the hoppinest meter maid and her popsicle salesman!
    OMG, that's awesome. I'll keep an eye out! I'll likely be wearing a Kuzco shirt that says "BOOM BABY" and I'm currently shaped like a beach ball :-)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Disneyland just posted on Facebook that it will be on sale on October 16 at Trader Sam's. It's different than the one in Florida cause in that one, he has his head in his box, but in this one, his head is still on top of his shoulders.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

thanks - saw your post before the tweet (they did tweet about this too)

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Did anyone go into the fray and get one? I didn't even try because I had a kiddo field trip that morning. I saw MP's coverage and an OC Register article on how insane it was. Did they sell out completely that day? I'm assuming so, but wasn't sure if they were rationing them over multiple days.

Blog Entries
    Did anyone go into the fray and get one? I didn't even try because I had a kiddo field trip that morning. I saw MP's coverage and an OC Register article on how insane it was. Did they sell out completely that day? I'm assuming so, but wasn't sure if they were rationing them over multiple days.
    Me. I arrived at 520am and the line was in the DtD parking lot. (They don't allow lineups on hotel property till 6). At six them moved us to the hotel. I was on the east side of the Adventure tower, and the line eventually wrapped past the Rose garden, around Frontier tower, and back up to the coffee house. They started selling at 7am and initially started with one register. 2 more arrived a short time later. I started walking away at 1015am. So 3+ hours after sales started, about 5.5 total. I had a meeting at 1 so I could not come in the afternoon.

I ran into AVP who came later than I did and left shortly after due to other commitments. We both were shaking our heads. I had a close friend come back midday since last year that worked for me (only 1 hr last year). Well he waited almost 4 hours.

I just can't see how Disney acts like it's their first rodeo every time - unless this is how they like to run things. It makes for great press coverage how crazy everyone is for the product. More registers, alternate on property location, etc. Things they could do but won't. Exclusivity and hyper demand are Disney's friend. This time I was part of it.

Next year for the variant? I don't know if I will come. They will probably sell out today - very small chance tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Me. I arrived at 520am and the line was in the DtD parking lot. (They don't allow lineups on hotel property till 6). At six them moved us to the hotel. I was on the east side of the Adventure tower, and the line eventually wrapped past the Rose garden, around Frontier tower, and back up to the coffee house. They started selling at 7am and initially started with one register. 2 more arrived a short time later. I started walking away at 1015am. So 3+ hours after sales started, about 5.5 total. I had a meeting at 1 so I could not come in the afternoon.

I ran into AVP who came later than I did and left shortly after due to other commitments. We both were shaking our heads. I had a close friend come back midday since last year that worked for me (only 1 hr last year). Well he waited almost 4 hours.

I just can't see how Disney acts like it's their first rodeo every time - unless this is how they like to run things. It makes for great press coverage how crazy everyone is for the product. More registers, alternate on property location, etc. Things they could do but won't. Exclusivity and hyper demand are Disney's friend. This time I was part of it.

Next year for the variant? I don't know if I will come. They will probably sell out today - very small chance tomorrow.

GEEZ. Thanks for the recap -- that's insane. One register for 1,000 people?? That really is just poor planning, even if they did bring more afterward. They'd get just as much press if the allotment sold out in a shorter amount of time, IMO. The craziness would still be there, without making people waste most of their days.

Blog Entries
    GEEZ. Thanks for the recap -- that's insane. One register for 1,000 people?? That really is just poor planning, even if they did bring more afterward. They'd get just as much press if the allotment sold out in a shorter amount of time, IMO. The craziness would still be there, without making people waste most of their days.
    The bump on Monday by most fan blogs on Instagram and Twitter added to the frenzy IMO. Travel, dining, hm, tiki. U name it.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It's crazy but it's going to continue because people choose to participate in it. And it's not the first time. Quite some number of years ago, during the height of the pin craze, it was like this. I participated in some of the craziness myself, though I don't think I waited for more than a few hours. I remember they did a pin of the month thing, and the last one was Tink in December. People literally lined up all night for the opportunity to buy the pin.

As long as there is demand, there's no reason for Disney to change their practice.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

So should Disney trickle the exclusive merch out over several days or should they make more of it so everyone gets a piece of the pie. I like how they limited this one to 2, but in several other cases the limit is 10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    So should Disney trickle the exclusive merch out over several days or should they make more of it so everyone gets a piece of the pie. I like how they limited this one to 2, but in several other cases the limit is 10.
    It depends on the merch and I don't know who makes that call. These mugs were two per person (per purchase? per day? not clear) but something like the Funko RIDEZ Doombuggy was 5 per person and I missed out by 6 people.

In the case of yesterday - could they have just had a bank of registers (maybe 10) for the first day and use a lobby spot? I guess not since it would not be next to Trader Sam's - but it would have been more convenient.

By the way - The Trader Sams Mug Trading group on Facebook states that at 1250pm today the line was 10 people. And they still had mugs....

By the way - The Trader Sams Mug Trading group on Facebook states that at 1250pm today the line was 10 people. And they still had mugs....
    Ha, apparently I should've gone today then. Drat! I figured they'd be gone in a day; didn't even consider that they'd still have them today.

The line got shorter and shorter throughout the day (was all the way around the Adventure Land Tower, through the gazebo, in front of the Frontier tower all the way to Goofy's Kitchen) . I heard it took almost 6 hours for the people that showed up before 6... I got there at 11:30 and was in line for 4 hours(the line was never any longer than the point where I entered, was actively shrinking behind me) When I got out at 3:25, the line was at the halfway point of the Adventure Land Downtown Disney Side. So probably about an hour or so. They closed the line at 8pm I heard and it was still about 30-45min wait at that time. At one point a register died and that slowed the line.

They did have a few changes that showed they are learning a bit. Every one had wristbands, and they changed design or color about every 30 people... so you couldn't line jump or hold the line for others. They limited to 2 per person, and hand stamped you so you couldn't reenter the line. They had someone bagging the mugs, and three people running registers. They also provided a side table for everyone to move out of the way and check the mugs for issues.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    I think no matter what Disney does, they'll get complaints. If the entire stock is available from day 1, people will complain because they can't get there that day. If they only allow X number to be sold on a particular day, people will complain because they don't want to have to go back for multiple days to try to get one of the X number available that day. I think a lower limit is good, but then I've heard people complain that they can't get enough for everyone in their family. There are always going to be people who are left out, no matter what the rules are. I used to laugh, though, when the pin purchase limit was 25. Seriously, you might as well not put a limit.

In the case of yesterday - could they have just had a bank of registers (maybe 10) for the first day and use a lobby spot?
    I wouldn't think it would make good business sense to have 10 cashiers when only one item is being sold. (I'm not even sure they had 10 cashiers for the runDisney expos, but if they did, that was at least for a large crowd with multiple items available.)

Quote Originally Posted by dhcloud View Post
    They also provided a side table for everyone to move out of the way and check the mugs for issues.
    Oh, I like when they do that. It gives you the opportunity to check for problems with your merchandise without delaying the rest of the line.

cstephens, I think the amount of cashiers during runDisney varied but at most the times we say at least 10 if not more and it was packed. Yet like you said it was a bit different since it wasn't for just one item sold. So makes more sense.

Now with this there is no way I am dragging butt to wait hours for any item ever in a line. That is just me. I know I don't have time to waste a day doing it. While I like the mugs and won't pay ebay prices its just not worth it to me to go through the hassle. Disney knows darn well what they are doing when this happens. There is no surprise in how popular it is or anything else but they rather make it so it ends up like this for some odd reason.

As far as limited number per person at purchase, sure that is great and all but you have to remember there are those there just for resell purpose and they will have whoever with them to help snag up a good number of the item(s) sold. So even with the limit 2 per person it doesn't help much really.....which is a shame for those that just would like 1 and nothing more.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

A friend was going to get in line to get the mug, so I figured I'd go hang out and chat a while. Ran into AVP. Got in line about 715a. We chatted until she had to leave at 1215p. I had no plans on really getting a mug, but with this much time invested, I figured I had to stick it out. I think it was about 145-2p when I finally got the mugs. Even then, the line was still out past the wedding pavilion.

Planning 3 trips at once...