Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Cheapest Cloeby Hotel/Airport Shuttle

Cheapest Cloeby Hotel/Airport Shuttle

Anyone have an idea of the cheapest hotel within walking distance to the parks? Howard Johnson or Motel 6? Something else? Have some research to do but thought I would check here too. What about shuttle cost from LAX to Disneyland or nearby hotels? Thanks!

~Christina~

2. # ADS

Define walkable. Mile?
    Define cheap. Alamo clocks at 1 mile(when you could cut through the Grand, now you have to walk all the way through DtD) it was cheap and clean, it was coming up for some December dates for $80.
    Most on the Harbor strip now price for $125 a night and up.
    There are also some by the Toy Story lot that come in closer to $100 a night and you can use the TS shuttles.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It also depends on what amenities you might be looking for. If you're going to have a car, make sure you factor in any parking charges. Some hotels provide a continental breakfast, which make the room a little more expensive, but not having to buy breakfast elsewhere could save you money in the long run.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

And for how many nights? Cheap for just one night? Some hotels, like the Homewood Suites (near the TS lot -- so you could use the shuttles), have a lower rate for stays of one week vs. fewer nights.
    Regarding shuttle cost from LAX, do a cost comparison of the Disneyland Express bus, Super Shuttle, Karmel Shuttle, and Uber/Lyft. Will you need car seats or boosters? That would narrow your choices, unless you'll be bringing travel boosters.

Looking for something for just a few nights. My 20 year old son will be going in an adventure on his own and meeting with friends who live not far from Disney. He won’t have access to a car for the most part though. He is thinking about the beginning of December before it gets too busy.

~Christina~

Motel 6 gets good reviews as a basic, clean motel (walking distance, but also on an ART route). Should have lower rates than the HoJo. Look at the Super 8 on Disneyland Dr., too. That one is walking distance to the M&F tram. Have you looked on Expedia or Travelocity? Priceline? Hotwire? You can find some good deals on those sites.

I didn't do price research for this concern, but I'll add that you should also consider the terrain when determining if something is "walk-able" for you and your group.

2 years ago, I stayed at the Days Inn just north of Ball Road on Harbor. The I-5 overpass is in the path here as you walk along Harbor. I would not go so far as to say I would never do so again, but the uphill part to go over the I-5 makes the roughly 0.6 miles seem a bit longer than it is. (this particular Days Inn also ran a few shuttles, so that was helpful once or twice). The joke about walking up-hill to school "both ways" comes to mind here, as it really is both ways since it's an overpass in between your destinations! (so after a tiring day at the parks, it can feel worse to end your day). My memory of it may also be a bit worse than it is because I did it in the pouring rain at least once or twice that trip.

Earlier this year, I stayed at the Cortona which is a bit south on Harbor, not too far from the convention center. It was a little longer (0.8 miles per Google), but the walk seemed easier since it was for the most part flat (or at least flatter than walking over I-5 )

(mileages quoted are to the entryway to the esplanade entrance on Harbor, so slightly more by the time you get to the park gates.)

Last edited by Dave1313; 09-19-2018 at 08:14 AM.
    -Dave

IF there are 3 or 4 of you look at Uber. You pay one price for all the people. So the per person cost can actually work out pretty good.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

We stayed at Cortona on June. Oldest and her hubby stay there frequently. Use the Toy Story shuttle or walk. In June our 16 y/o was in a wheelchair and it was seriously easier to just walk it.
    They also have breakfast.
    I will use Hotels.com et al to price for our dates and then go straight to the hotels website to book. If it's coming up higher email the hotel about price matching, they keep the commission this way and are usually very agreeable. A lot of times it's the same rate, but Cortona gives you "gifts" for booking direct. Grand Legacy was cheaper on their website for my 20 y/o dates in December booking direct.
    Some of Cortona's gifts (arrive by email before the trip but you pay in full at booking) $5 Starbucks card. $15 Uber gift card. Apple TV credit.